• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Voice Actor for DK?

Ravio_Yo

Smash Apprentice
imo, Bowser and DK having more humany voices makes more sense. They aren't feral beasts, these are intelligent lifeforms here.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
imo, Bowser and DK having more humany voices makes more sense. They aren't feral beasts, these are intelligent lifeforms here.
They are animals with human qualities unlike Fox or Falco who are anthropomorphic, humanoid animals. it doesn't stray from their characterization at all to have them sound like actual beasts.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
They are animals with human qualities unlike Fox or Falco who are anthropomorphic, humanoid animals. it doesn't stray from their characterization at all to have them sound like actual beasts.
Except that Bowser and DK's voices are goddamn established by their respective games, and the people who play their respective games like their actual voices, not this godzilla/king kong ripoff.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I'd agree with @ D-idara D-idara , except that DK sounds horrible in Mario Kart 8. He sounds great in country and DK64, but in Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8 he sounds atrocious.

Also, DK has his Smash Bros voice in the Mario Party series, at last in the n64 and gamecube ones iirc.

But yeah, if Nintendo actually put love and care into his voice work, I'd be ALL FOR him sounding more like his DK Country series character. However, they tend to make DK sounds horrible outside of the DK Country series when they try to give him his voice, so I'm alright with Sakurai opting for the 'gorilla' sounds. Basically, just because I've seen nintendo screw him up time and time again,

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'd agree with @ D-idara D-idara , except that DK sounds horrible in Mario Kart 8. He sounds great in country and DK64, but in Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8 he sounds atrocious.

Also, DK has his Smash Bros voice in the Mario Party series, at last in the n64 and gamecube ones iirc.

But yeah, if Nintendo actually put love and care into his voice work, I'd be ALL FOR him sounding more like his DK Country series character. However, they tend to make DK sounds horrible outside of the DK Country series when they try to give him his voice, so I'm alright with Sakurai opting for the 'gorilla' sounds. Basically, just because I've seen nintendo screw him up time and time again,
He sounds really good on the Country games, just like Kenny James sounds amazing at Bowser. Also, anyone noticed how Bayonetta 2 actually represents Bowser better than Smash Bros. does? At least he's voiced by his real voice actor in that game.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Except that Bowser and DK's voices are goddamn established by their respective games, and the people who play their respective games like their actual voices, not this godzilla/king kong ripoff.
DK and Bowser's current voices in their universes came way later. Their feral noises have been established for a long time already plus it's great to have them sound like animals in Smash while they keep their cartoony voices in their own games.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
DK and Bowser's current voices in their universes came way later. Their feral noises have been established for a long time already plus it's great to have them sound like animals in Smash while they keep their cartoony voices in their own games.
It's not great, it's silly and makes no sense. I want to play as Bowser and DK, not Godzilla and King Kong, what would it feel like if a rugged man suddenly did Mario's voice over Charles Martinet? These are two gaming giants, they should sound like they're supposed to.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It's not great, it's silly and makes no sense. I want to play as Bowser and DK, not Godzilla and King Kong, what would it feel like if a rugged man suddenly did Mario's voice over Charles Martinet? These are two gaming giants, they should sound like they're supposed to.
Apples and oranges, it's not the same case as if Charles Martinet was replaced. Besides, their other voices are sillier so it is much more fitting for them to sound like animals who are about to fight.

Top Bottom