• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Voice Actor for DK?

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
What is everyone's opinion on this? I would personally like to see the VA from the Donkey Kong Country Returns series to voice him in SSB4. I think it beats those odd monkey sounds in Brawl any day.

D

Deleted member

I would like to see Donkey Kong have a voice actor in this game, along with Diddy Kong and Bowser. I wasn't a big fan of the realistic sounding voices he had in Brawl. The one from Donkey Kong Country Returns works well.

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
I would like to see Donkey Kong have a voice actor in this game, along with Diddy Kong and Bowser. I wasn't a big fan of the realistic sounding voices he had in Brawl. The one from Donkey Kong Country Returns works well.
I was thinking the same for Bowser. I really do like how he sounds in Galaxy and the upcoming 3D wrorld. I know that they are getting Roger Craig Smith to voice Sonic so why wouldn't they keep the trend going you know?

D

Deleted member

I was thinking the same for Bowser. I really do like how he sounds in Galaxy and the upcoming 3D wrorld. I know that they are getting Roger Craig Smith to voice Sonic so why wouldn't they keep the trend going you know?
Exactly. I feel as though if Bowser got his current voice actor in this game, then he would sound more menacing as well. I hated how Bowser sounded in Brawl... he sounded like a dog to me...
But I digress.
I think giving Donkey Kong his cartoony voice would blend in with the game's style much better than having the realistic voice.

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
Exactly. I feel as though if Bowser got his current voice actor in this game, then he would sound more menacing as well. I hated how Bowser sounded in Brawl... he sounded like a dog to me...
But I digress.
I think giving Donkey Kong his cartoony voice would blend in with the game's style much better than having the realistic voice.
I was thinking the same way. I couldn't stand how DK and Bowser sounded in Brawl. They just sounded like Nintendo got lazy and make some weird sounds with a computer. I think having their new voice actors would bring more personality to them and encourage people to pick them more.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I was thinking the same way. I couldn't stand how DK and Bowser sounded in Brawl. They just sounded like Nintendo got lazy and make some weird sounds with a computer. I think having their new voice actors would bring more personality to them and encourage people to pick them more.

That is an EXCELLENT idea!
They need voices!

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
That is an EXCELLENT idea!
They need voices!
I think so too. I loved playing Donkey Kong Returns and DK beating his chest and hooting at the start of every level. Or having Bowser laugh and taunt me during a boss fight in Galaxy. It just adds so much to them and they deserve way better treatment that what they have gotten.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Bowser sounded exactly as how Snake described him. A cheap movie monster. I do hope they decide to change Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Bowsers voices to how they usually sound in their own games nowadays. :/

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
DK's best voice can be found in the early Mario Party Games as well as Mario Kart 64.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Weird stuff is that I don't really enjoy DK's current voice very much. Sounds like some deranged Scooby-Doo to me.

Maybe it's because it makes him feel bit too comical for my tastes. Dunno.

I'm not too against this though, I just hope it doesn't come out as too awkward.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
DK's best voice can be found in the early Mario Party Games as well as Mario Kart 64.
The... Monkey sounds that I intentionally avoid, because of my fear of bleeding ears? :p

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Weird stuff is that I don't really enjoy DK's current voice very much. Sounds like some deranged Scooby-Doo to me.

Maybe it's because it makes him feel bit too comical for my tastes. Dunno.

I'm not too against this though, I just hope it doesn't come out as too awkward.
Entirely agree. However, I actually like his new voice better than his voice in Brawl (that was literally just stock tiger sounds). Luckily, Smash never used the worst DK voice, which is easily his cyber-ape "voice" through the N64 spinoffs.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Entirely agree. However, I actually like his new voice better than his voice in Brawl (that was literally just stock tiger sounds). Luckily, Smash never used the worst DK voice, which is easily his cyber-ape "voice" through the N64 spinoffs.
I haven't heard the new voice... were are you listening to it?

Vyzor

Smash Journeyman
This is personally my favourite DK voice:

It sucks though that it'll never be used because it would require them to get Grant Kirkhope.

Which they'd never do or care about doing. His DKCR voice is fine though. Z1GMA, I have to agree. I also like that voice :p

Hoots

Can Be Combative
This is personally my favourite DK voice:

It sucks though that it'll never be used because it would require them to get Grant Kirkhope.

Which they'd never do or care about doing. His DKCR voice is fine though. Z1GMA, I have to agree. I also like that voice :p
That's my favorite too! However, it wouldn't really work for the much less anthropomorphized Smash DK.

I haven't heard the new voice... were are you listening to it?
His new voice will almost certainly just be his voice from DKCR.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Scooby Kong in SSB4 would be a mild travesty, though I'm hopeful that DK will retain some semblance of a beastly gorilla voice, since Mario has been confirmed to have his Brawl vocals in the Developer Direct.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

This one.
No Kong will ever top Richard Yearwood.
With that said, Andrew Sabiston and Benedict Campbell are necessities for Diddy and K. Rool.

While we're at it, why not have Erika Strobel write a hypothetical plot for SmashU/3DS's adventure mode? I mean do I even need to say how much potential a crystal SMASH BALL could have?? However if all of this DID somehow happen, Jeffery Rath better be a shoe-in as Link.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
DK is currently voiced by Takashi Nagasako, who also voices Ganondorf.

Schoo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4811-7465-8082
I'd like George Lopez to voice DK. That's all I would ever need in my life.

Hoboman5000

Smash Cadet
I know it's never going to happen, but there's a hope in the back of my mind hoping that Jack Black would voice DK, DON'T ASK ME WHY! I just think it'd be totally tubular.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I'm personally sick of the lion noises. I want either Takashi Nagasako or Grant Kirkhope. No one else

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Scooby Kong in SSB4 would be a mild travesty, though I'm hopeful that DK will retain some semblance of a beastly gorilla voice, since Mario has been confirmed to have his Brawl vocals in the Developer Direct.
Really? I figured that Martinet would do a few updated vocals for Mario. Seems weird to not change the voice.

I would like to have Donkey Kong sound like an actual gorilla. Or at least his DKCR voice.

DK is currently voiced by Takashi Nagasako, who also voices Ganondorf.
That's kind of cool actually. Not gonna lie.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Yeah at this point id take any change to his and bowsers vocal tracks, it would at least imbue a bit more personality to each of them other than random grunts and roars which have left them kinda flat. Although i doubt we will get that luck, it probably will remain unchanged.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Oh god yes, please give him a voice and not some weird grunts. It's Donkey Kong, not King Kong for crying out loud.

I know smash has a tendency to screw with canon material, but there are some instances for which I feel it is unjustified.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
Takashi has been voicing Donkey Kong since Donkey Kong Jungle beat so there's No excuse for the lion noises in brawl

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
What's wrong with a gorilla sounding like a gorilla? His Brawl voice is far superior than the ones he uses from DKCR and the Mario spin-offs. It makes him sound badass and fearsome, it makes perfect sense. Anyways, I'm sure they won't use his scooby doo-esque voice in Smash, characters like him take themselves more seriously in the smash franchise.

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
What's wrong with a gorilla sounding like a gorilla? His Brawl voice is far superior than the ones he uses from DKCR and the Mario spin-offs. It makes him sound badass and fearsome, it makes perfect sense. Anyways, I'm sure they won't use his scooby doo-esque voice in Smash, characters like him take themselves more seriously in the smash franchise.
Y'know, that's the thing. Why?

Why do they take themselves more seriously? It looks like the new game is going back to "let's just have a good ol time while beating the living hell out of each other". They look brighter. They look more fun. I'm all for Donkey Kong getting his non-serious voice again.

And while we're at it, make his final smash him singing a song with the voice posted from the Donkey Kong animated series pls.

Top Bottom