• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Voice Actor for DK?

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Y'know, that's the thing. Why?

Why do they take themselves more seriously? It looks like the new game is going back to "let's just have a good ol time while beating the living hell out of each other". They look brighter. They look more fun. I'm all for Donkey Kong getting his non-serious voice again.

And while we're at it, make his final smash him singing a song with the voice posted from the Donkey Kong animated series pls.
"SMASH AIN'T NO JOKE"

Seriously though, DK should have his proper, "non-serious" voice. It sounds fine for the most part. But leave the animated series voice and songs out.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Y'know, that's the thing. Why?

Why do they take themselves more seriously? It looks like the new game is going back to "let's just have a good ol time while beating the living hell out of each other". They look brighter. They look more fun. I'm all for Donkey Kong getting his non-serious voice again.

And while we're at it, make his final smash him singing a song with the voice posted from the Donkey Kong animated series pls.
Nah bro, nah. The series have always had a cartoony vibe since the beginning but that doesn't stop it from getting a T rating, just see how brutal Bowser looks compared to his appearance in the Mario games. As for DK, he has always sounded feral since his debut. Take that away from him and give him his scooby doo voice and you make him a joke.

That's the voice they use mostly for the Mario spin offs and DKCR. It's ok for it's own games. Sounds funny but waaaaay goofy.

as for his current Smash voice:
God that is AWESOME!!! The King of the Jungle is ready to kick some ass, baby!
If we were to replace his smash voice with his goofy voice, this scene would have been ruined. So yes, that's what I'm trying to point out.

Regardless that the Smashverse still has cartoony elements, characters in those series tend to be portrayed in an awesomer, cooler and more serious light.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Nah bro, nah. The series have always had a cartoony vibe since the beginning but that doesn't stop it from getting a T rating, just see how brutal Bowser looks compared to his appearance in the Mario games. As for DK, he has always sounded feral since his debut. Take that away from him and give him his scooby doo voice and you make him a joke.

That's the voice they use mostly for the Mario spin offs and DKCR. It's ok for it's own games. Sounds funny but waaaaay goofy.

God that is AWESOME!!! The King of the Jungle is ready to kick some ***, baby!
If we were to replace his smash voice with his goofy voice, this scene would have been ruined. So yes, that's what I'm trying to point out.

Regardless that the Smashverse still has cartoony elements, characters in those series tend to be portrayed in an awesomer, cooler and more serious light.
Yes more cooler like when DK's eyes popped out when he got hit with the baseball bat and how much more goofy his expressions are this time round, you know why cause he's supposed to be a big dumb ape and him in brawl never portrayed that, plus we're not gonna have those cutscenes anymore so it doesn't matter

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God

That just didn't seem like Donkey Kong to me. While it was awesome, and [Subspace's story was pretty damn awesome. A bit.. overly serious like with that final boss but still.] Donkey Kong looked like a serious thread... that's not DK. Donkey Kong was always kind of a fun, but a hard brawling character. Yeah, he sounds like Scooby Doo sometimes. But it doesn't change the fact he's a hard brawling character that's already feared in the Mario universe.

He hasn't always sounded feral since his debut either. Truly, I think his best like everyone says was in Donkey Kong Country 64. That being said, I don't see them getting Grant Kirkhope back and it's obvious they aren't getting it back. It's already confirmed they're getting the guy from DKCR, right?

We'll just have to see how it plays off. I think that it'll be pretty awesome regardless. I always enjoyed Donkey Kong, so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully it's a good mix of feral but still goofy.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Yes more cooler like when DK's eyes popped out when he got hit with the baseball bat and how much more goofy his expressions are this time round, you know why cause he's supposed to be a big dumb ape and him in brawl never portrayed that, plus we're not gonna have those cutscenes anymore so it doesn't matter
You missed the part where I said " the smash series has always had a cartoony vibe", and that despite of that, the smashverse also shows them also in a different light. You are aware that the clip I used was just an example of his in game voice, right? Because that's how he also sounds when fighting.

And we are going to have cutscenes, just not a Subspace Emissary. Sakurai already stated this.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
That just didn't seem like Donkey Kong to me. While it was awesome, and [Subspace's story was pretty damn awesome. A bit.. overly serious like with that final boss but still.] Donkey Kong looked like a serious thread... that's not DK. Donkey Kong was always kind of a fun, but a hard brawling character. Yeah, he sounds like Scooby Doo sometimes. But it doesn't change the fact he's a hard brawling character that's already feared in the Mario universe.

He hasn't always sounded feral since his debut either. Truly, I think his best like everyone says was in Donkey Kong Country 64. That being said, I don't see them getting Grant Kirkhope back and it's obvious they aren't getting it back. It's already confirmed they're getting the guy from DKCR, right?

We'll just have to see how it plays off. I think that it'll be pretty awesome regardless. I always enjoyed Donkey Kong, so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully it's a good mix of feral but still goofy.
It certainly sounds like DK to me. Either way, both types of voices belong to their own games, so I'm sure we'll hear his feral roars once more in Smash.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
You missed the part where I said " the smash series has always had a cartoony vibe", and that despite of that, the smashverse also shows them also in a different light. You are aware that the clip I used was just an example of his in game voice, right? Because that's how he also sounds when fighting.

And we are going to have cutscenes, just not a Subspace Emissary. Sakurai already stated this.
Yes but this game is way more cartoony than brawl and it makes sense to have the voices represent that, look at dk, look at Dedede wayyyy more cartoony than brawl

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
Definitely support him having his actual voice this time, bowser needs his as well while were on the subject.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
It certainly sounds like DK to me. Either way, both types of voices belong to their own games, so I'm sure we'll hear his feral roars once more in Smash.
I just found out that DK was depicted as more violent in jungle beat and that was the last platformer before brawl so it made sense then, but now with retro taking over they have made the character more fun and cartoony and I think he should be represented that way

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I just found out that DK was depicted as more violent in jungle beat and that was the last platformer before brawl so it made sense then, but now with retro taking over they have made the character more fun and cartoony and I think he should be represented that way
He was still pretty silly in jungle beat as far as his personality goes. Smiling, sticking his toungue out. He even had the voice he has now for that game.

I'd love for him to have his real voice along with bowser getting his, but I'm not hopeful since sakurai loves to stick to some of these traditions like glue. It would probably be more work too, and since Mario still has voice clips from melee I don't think they would go to the trouble unfortunately.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Again, Ape sounds have been Donkey Kong's voice since the Super Nintendo and N64 days with the exception of Grant Kirkhope voicing him a bit as well, including mostly in DK64, I'd be cool with either of those. Don't really care much for the Scooby-Doo one in the recent DKC games and some of the mario sports spinoffs such as Mario Power Tennis and Mario Kart DS.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Thankfully, his old voice returns:

When the POW is presented, you can hear DK's old grunts.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I think they'll stick with gorilla noises though his DK64 voice would be pretty nice because he'd be able to speak words even if they just recycled the DK64 voice clips like they did for the first Mario Vs. Donkey Kong game.

Juken

Smash Ace
I don't think that it'd be good to look at videos of gameplay for the voice; they don't seem to have voices in the clips. It could be because they don't want to spoil the voice work, or because they haven't done it yet. A lot of the sounds for the items sound like their brawl versions though, such as the smart bomb and bumper.

For all we know, any sounds in the videos can be just placeholders.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I don't think that it'd be good to look at videos of gameplay for the voice; they don't seem to have voices in the clips. It could be because they don't want to spoil the voice work, or because they haven't done it yet. A lot of the sounds for the items sound like their brawl versions though, such as the smart bomb and bumper.

For all we know, any sounds in the videos can be just placeholders.
Unlikely. It's safe to say that the sounds and voices we are hearing in those clips is what we are gonna get.

On the Halberd, at 1:58

Last edited:

Juken

Smash Ace
Unlikely. It's safe to say that the sounds and voices we are hearing in those clips is what we are gonna get.

On the Halberd, at 1:58
The diddy voice sounds just like the one from brawl, and so do the fox sounds. I'm still skeptical, but I guess we'll have to wait til E3.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Yet is still obvious that the sounds come from the game (SSB4) itself, so I don't understand the doubt. But I guess some people remain in denial even when facts are thrown at their face.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
They might remain the same, but theres also the fact we havent seen any dubbed footage, all the characters that have voices other then mario have been silent. We know pits going to have his new voice, and marth might get one in english, so a change still could come between what we have seen and what we will see at e3 and the final product.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
They might remain the same, but theres also the fact we havent seen any dubbed footage, all the characters that have voices other then mario have been silent. We know pits going to have his new voice, and marth might get one in english, so a change still could come between what we have seen and what we will see at e3 and the final product.
Eh, of course we have seen dubbed footage. Depending on where you see the videos, you get the video footage in english or japanese.

Game text even matches the language the video is being presented in, the logical explanation being that they are using each respective version of the game. Let's not forget the Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac reveal trailers, where the voices can heard in japanese or english.

Marth and Diddy's voices don't differ in either version because those are the voices we are getting. After 2 games, they are not going to change Marth's voice into english and remove his iconic japanese one.
And even without this, why would people expect Diddy's voice to change in the localization when his voice has been shown in all forms of the direct is baffling. He had the same voice as well in the japanese version of Brawl. Tell me, do monkeys sound different in japanese than in english?
Speculating is one thing but getting delusional is another.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Eh, of course we have seen dubbed footage. Depending on where you see the videos, you get the video footage in english or japanese.
Menu's in such for presentation to different regions, but we have not heard any english voice acting.

Game text even matches the language the video is being presented in, the logical explanation being that they are using each respective version of the game. Let's not forget the Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac reveal trailers, where the voices can heard in japanese or english.
But they arent final, most of the game footage save for the likes of characters with recycled voices, those like pit, and even villager arent making a peep, when we know for a fact that pit is very noisy when it comes to his attacks. Little macs reveal trailer was most likely done in part with next level games who got doc louis for his voice overs, one of their devs even tweeted people to watch it, doesnt mean all gameplay had its final dubs because the trailer portion of it did.

Marth and Diddy's voices don't differ in either version because those are the voices we are getting. After 2 games, they are not going to change Marth's voice into english and remove his iconic japanese one.
And even without this, why would people expect Diddy's voice to change in the localization when his voice has been shown in all forms of the direct is baffling. He had the same voice as well in the japanese version of Brawl. Tell me, do monkeys sound different in japanese than in english?
Speculating is one thing but getting delusional is another.
You dont know they wont change marth's voice though thats the thing, tradition is one thing but even sakurai himself said they kept the japanese voice only because he has yet to have a western released title, now he has so that could change. Up until brawls release we almost completely saw nothing but japanese/unfinished US version with their language tracks for characters like ike and pit or , the same thing is probably happening with this one until e3 as well. Just because you say people who think it may be different are delusional, and other such things doesnt make you right for just expecting the exact same set of voices from before, thats really the only it has going for it.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Menu's in such for presentation to different regions, but we have not heard any english voice acting.

But they arent final, most of the game footage save for the likes of characters with recycled voices, those like pit, and even villager arent making a peep, when we know for a fact that pit is very noisy when it comes to his attacks. Little macs reveal trailer was most likely done in part with next level games who got doc louis for his voice overs, one of their devs even tweeted people to watch it, doesnt mean all gameplay had its final dubs because the trailer portion of it did.

You dont know they wont change marth's voice though thats the thing, tradition is one thing but even sakurai himself said they kept the japanese voice only because he has yet to have a western released title, now he has so that could change. Up until brawls release we almost completely saw nothing but japanese/unfinished US version with their language tracks for characters like ike and pit or , the same thing is probably happening with this one until e3 as well. Just because you say people who think it may be different are delusional, and other such things doesnt make you right for just expecting the exact same set of voices from before, thats really the only it has going for it.
And again, this means that there might be a change of voice for Diddy because? Japanese chimp sounds different from english chimp sounds how?

Also, Brawl came out 6 years ago and nowadays devs have been able to keep themselves and the product they are working on more up to date.

Like you said, there have been some characters that have been silent so we still haven't heard them. Not the case with Diddy or Marth. They are not gonna change Marth's voice because his original game was still a japan only title and because in the west he literally debuted in Melee with his current voice. Shadow Dragon was just a remake of the original FE, the sequel of it's remake didn't even come to the west.
Taking those two characters as an example that there might be a change of voice is a bad idea. If you are going to argue with that in mind, you are better off using Fox or Pit as examples, but unfortunately they haven't had any voice clips in the recent Smash 4 videos.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

Eugh, DK's Smash voice has to be the worst thing ever, his real voice doesn't make him sound like a joke, it makes him sound like Donkey Kong. And you can see that DK with his modern voice can be pretty threatening when you play DKCR and DKCTF

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
The complaints about DK's modern voice being too goofy is overblown. (Not that I really ever see it but here, anyway.)

It isn't so goofy as to ruin the tone of this level, for example.
One of the things that I think fits best with the level are the struggling sounds when DK pulls up a pirate ship, it sounds as if he's really on a struggle to save DK Island, not to mention, dat' Seashore War music...

...god, World 6 IS SO BEAUTIFUL, every level's so atmospheric and perfect.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Eugh, DK's Smash voice has to be the worst thing ever, his real voice doesn't make him sound like a joke, it makes him sound like Donkey Kong. And you can see that DK with his modern voice can be pretty threatening when you play DKCR and DKCTF
I respectfully disagree. I like feral gorilla roars in my Donkey Kong when it comes to Smash.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The voice that doesn't sound like Scooby-Doo is the one that "sounds like a joke?"

Thankfully, it looks like DK and Diddy are keeping their Brawl voices. People claiming they're just there as "placeholders" because they'd prefer an alternative are falling into the same pitfall as the Toad fans who assumed last December that Peach's Neutral Special was totally getting swapped out, and the old move was added in just because.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
The voice that doesn't sound like Scooby-Doo is the one that "sounds like a joke?"

Thankfully, it looks like DK and Diddy are keeping their Brawl voices. People claiming they're just there as "placeholders" because they'd prefer an alternative are falling into the same pitfall as the Toad fans who assumed last December that Peach's Neutral Special was totally getting swapped out, and the old move was added in just because.
Possibly and more than likely for dk and diddy, but theres no way to know for sure if say marth will keep his japanese voice until we see some show floor gameplay from e3. Its not even close to the same thing as the toad fans example, we already know del rio is voicing pit this time, and we know pit has been silent in all his gameplay so far.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Possibly and more than likely for dk and diddy, but theres no way to know for sure if say marth will keep his japanese voice until we see some show floor gameplay from e3. Its not even close to the same thing as the toad fans example, we already know del rio is voicing pit this time, and we know pit has been silent in all his gameplay so far.
Is there proof for Pit's VA? Last I checked, he was listed on IMDB, but anyone can edit that, even though Sakurai will probably get him anyways.

Yes, Sakurai always reminds us that "the game can change," but it's quite convenient that the parts of the game people believe will change are the parts they personally want changed, like Toad or X veteran's VAs.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Yes, Sakurai always reminds us that "the game can change," but it's quite convenient that the parts of the game people believe will change are the parts they personally want changed, like Toad or X veteran's VAs.
That can be said about anything though, like the characters people want, or those who even want some things unchanged. The fact remains that changes like these could happen, theres no way you can rule it out completely when we havent even scratched the surface of this game and what we have seen of it.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
His Brawl "voice" had zero personality. If you played a random clip of his voice from Brawl could you tell me what DK is expressing? Is he hurting someone or is he the one getting hurt? You can't tell.

Amazingly even in old games like Mario Kart 64 you could tell if DK was happy or in a world of pain. These Brawl sounds just sucked.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
His Brawl "voice" had zero personality. If you played a random clip of his voice from Brawl could you tell me what DK is expressing? Is he hurting someone or is he the one getting hurt? You can't tell.

Amazingly even in old games like Mario Kart 64 you could tell if DK was happy or in a world of pain. These Brawl sounds just sucked.
Agreed.

In Brawl he sounds like a mad generic gorilla lion. Do gorilla lions even sound like that? I love the way he sounds in the main games and while I think the original DKC monkey sounds are a little too soft for him now a'days, I'd be happier with that then his barf noises.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Yeah, obviously goofy japanese man voice sounds much more like an actual gorilla. Have you ever actually heard a gorilla?

Yes I've heard a Gorilla before.... Thanks, but it was not really that serious. (btw he still sounds nothing like a gorilla in any of his games, more so in the newer ones sorta but the older games he deffinetly sounded like a dinosaur)

Top Bottom