• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Violence is on sale today - Anna for DLC! * Waiting for new stock! Bear with us here! *

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I take it you've read every prediction there was, then? Leaker has just got great foresight and understands Sakurai's decision making process, that's all we know for certain. I don't buy the E3 leak, and even less do I believe this recent one.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Honestly seeing Greninja as a character kinda makes Anna more likely. I mean looking at all these roster predictions and wishlists that people make, Greninja looks to be nonexistent compared to other requested Pokemon like Mewtwo, Zoroark, and Genesect.
And looking back even further to Rosalina's reveal, while she is a popular Mario character, there were others more requested than her like Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Toad, Paper Mario, Daisy, and Geno. Yet Rosalina was chosen.
And then we have Wii Fit Trainer who Sakurai claims no one requested.
So while characters like Megaman, Little Mac, and possibly Palutena are highly requested, it seems that they're willing to throw in some oddballs along with them like Rosalina and Greninja. Anna, to me, feels to fall along the same lines.
Of course there's Chrom, Lucina, Robin, and veterans like Ike and Roy that Anna has to surpass, but to me it feels like her chances are slightly higher now.

Hong

The Strongest

I hope they have both classic and Trickster versions of Anna to choose from. I really like the outfit updates they have done for other characters, and I am sure Anna will be interpreted well.

Honestly seeing Greninja as a character kinda makes Anna more likely. I mean looking at all these roster predictions and wishlists that people make, Greninja looks to be nonexistent compared to other requested Pokemon like Mewtwo, Zoroark, and Genesect.
And looking back even further to Rosalina's reveal, while she is a popular Mario character, there were others more requested than her like Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Toad, Paper Mario, Daisy, and Geno. Yet Rosalina was chosen.
So while characters like Megaman, Little Mac, and possibly Palutena are highly requested, it seems that they're willing to throw in some oddballs along with them like Rosalina and Greninja. Anna, to me, feels to fall along the same lines.
Of course there's Chrom, Lucina, Robin, and veterans like Ike and Roy that Anna has to surpass, but to me it feels like her chances are slightly higher now.
Personally, I don't feel that Pokemon and Fire Emblem characters are subject to some sort of popularity quota for inclusion. I think the Pokemon Company and Intelligent Systems respectively discuss options with the director for possible candidates. Both franchises have hundreds of characters over the span over several products... many of them with relatively similar levels of importance to each other. Appear in one or two games, then it's out with the old and in with the new.

To Anna's credit she is a timeless character, a claim only few could make. Anna has never held a leading role, but she has never been forgotten, either. There is no reason why they should forget bringing up Anna as a possibility, though we can't ignore the Awakening hype train, either.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Intelligent Systems and Game Freak both have a dialogue with Sakurai about who to pick for Smash Brothers.
IS introduced him to Roy, who he chose over Eliwood, and when that guy asked the E3 GF people about Mewtwo in Smash, Sakurai said they're thinking about it. Sakurai has made similar privations with GF.
Well, I always thought that Froakie was the most popular starter anyways, primarily because of Greninja, aye?

If GF is suggesting people like Greninja, it makes me simultaneously hopeful for Anna and fearful of Chrom.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Hey there fellow merchants!
I'm sure most are aware of this fanart:

I think it looks really good. I like the model-esque style of it. Though a few things I nit-picked about:
The colors are a little on the dull side. So it fits the Brawl style, but not the Smash4 style.
Her hair looks like udon.
So I touched it up a bit:

Her hair was built/re-textured using pieces of Zero Suit Samus' and Marth's artwork. Some things still need some touching-up, and unfortunately the ponytail came out much less desirable than I wanted originally, but overall I like how it came out.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I dunno how I never noticed this thread around. I figured I would come show my support for Anna. :p

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai: ...First of all, in regard to cutting characters: at this point there's nothing I can say in any official position regarding that process. But let's go ahead and talk a little bit more about how we decided what characters to have.

Kotaku: Okay.

Sakurai: The first thing is to take an idea. For example, imagine a game and characters within that game. Take a character such as the villager in Animal Crossing. The next process is think about that character's role in their game and then the structure of the game we're making. How do those work together with each other? What kind of interesting things can you do within the structure of the game? And then if you were to actually implement that character, how would the end result be, how it works with other elements of the game?

An important thing is that the characters stand out from one another—for instance, we might wanna be able to take characters that aren't typically combat-based characters. So you might have a sword-based character, but other characters are not necessarily going to [have swords]. You're not gonna wanna focus on that sort of element, just so there's a distinction between all of the other combat-based characters.

They have to have something really unique that makes them stand apart from other characters in the game, and not limit yourself to characters that are just combat-based.
http://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390
http://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390

Old interview.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I support. It seems to me like she has the most to offer as a representative of Fire Emblem: having appeared in nearly all of them, her most prominent appearance being in Awakening, being a female, being a unique class, having tons of personality, having a cool electric sword. I would be delighted to see Anna.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Add me as well. Barring the amazing Frederick, she is my #1 pick for a new FE rep.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Supporting Anna since Brawl -> made and updated a moveset -> contacted OP -> still not on supporter list. .・゜゜・(/。\)・゜゜・.

Hong

The Strongest
You've been supporting Anna since Brawl??

Hardcore.
Yeah! The appreciation for Anna initially came from the fact that Fire Emblem is a series with so many hit-and-runs. Beyond Marth, you can't really immortalize anyone since they appear in a game or two and vanish. Over time, I started to just appreciate Anna for her charming character and gameplay possibilieis.

andimidna

Smash Master
I know nobody wants to hear it said: but it is possible that Chrom would... replace Ike.
And if they put basically no time into his moveset, and made him basically a veteran, maybe a real FE newcomer could be added?

Ike's playstyle was somewhat unique, and I'm starting to see what people are saying about if they were all in they'd have the same basic hits with some different specials but mostly minor tweaks, and it'd be boring.
Surprisingly, there are a lot of people pleading not for a unique Chrom, but for a "replacement scrappy" cut, swap, and paste of Ike with a slightly different shade of blue hair :awesome:

I'm not against the FE roster Marth, Chrom, Anna...
But I have hopes for something slightly better. (Anna makes it basically perfect though)

And while I do think Tiki's deconfirmation boosts Anna's chances, I've become less confident in her. I think Robin is a bit more likely, but I'm rooting for Anna.

And I'd like to clear up that I don't dislike Chrom, I dislike the idea of him playing exactly like Ike.
I also like blue hair... But red hair will always be cooler... And green hair beats all.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I know nobody wants to hear it said: but it is possible that Chrom would... replace Ike.
And if they put basically no time into his moveset, and made him basically a veteran, maybe a real FE newcomer could be added?

Ike's playstyle was somewhat unique, and I'm starting to see what people are saying about if they were all in they'd have the same basic hits with some different specials but mostly minor tweaks, and it'd be boring.
Surprisingly, there are a lot of people pleading not for a unique Chrom, but for a "replacement scrappy" cut, swap, and paste of Ike with a slightly different shade of blue hair :awesome:

But I have hopes for something slightly better. (Anna makes it basically perfect though)

And while I do think Tiki's deconfirmation boosts Anna's chances, I've become less confident in her. I think Robin is a bit more likely, but I'm rooting for Anna.

And I'd like to clear up that I don't dislike Chrom, I dislike the idea of him playing exactly like Ike.
I also like blue hair... But red hair will always be cooler... And green hair beats all.
As much I as I like Anna, I feel that she certainly won't get in any smash roster without 4 fe reps... which is very unlikely to begin with. But I'll save my thoughts on her inclusion till her day in the RTC thread.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't see why Chrom would replace Ike as a clone.

Preserving fan-favorite, original, tried-and-true characters is a lot more important to Sakurai than promoting one game.

If Chrom is a clone anyway, why add him in the first place if he's just going to replace someone he is basically a reference to?

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

I see no reason to believe that Ike would be planned to be cut from the very beginning.
Now, Chrom could be on the roster without Ike, sure, but I doubt that would be the intention from the start.
I care more about Ike coming back than Anna joining. That's saying something too because I've never played RD or PoR, but I care more about unique veterans that people love than my own wanted newcomers. It's saying even more than that, actually, because Anna is one of my most wanted newcomers. For realzies.

I don't dislike Chrom either. Anything about him, really. I wouldn't be upset because I know that there are many people that would be very happy to see him included...I just like Anna more as a character and as a potential fighter.
You know what, give us four Fire Emblem characters...because I don't care...at all.
Oh, wait, Fire Emblem can't have that many characters for some reason. My bad.

andimidna

Smash Master
Well, I hope you guys are right. I liked Ike.

(I've been supporting Fire Emblem having 4 characters for a while)
[collapse=unpopular opinion warning]
I hope they can make Chrom unique with some sort of pair-up with Lucina.
Marth
Ike
Chrom & Lucina
Anna
is my personal hope for Fire Emblem.

Marth
Chrom
Robin
Anna
is my #2 hope for Fire Emblem (I enjoy newcomers more than veterans)

Marth
Ike
Chrom & Lucina
Robin
is my #3 hope for Fire Emblem

Marth
Ike
Lucina
Anna
is my #4 hope for Fire Emblem

Marth
Ike
Micaiah
Anna
is my #5 hope for Fire Emblem

Marth
Chrom
Lucina
Robin
is my #6 hope for Fire Emblem

Yea, just some random sets of characters.
So while my #1 hope includes Ike's return, I'd be OK without it.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Didn't know this thread existed.
I wed her as soon as I found out that you could do such a thing in FE13. A very big fan since my first FE game. Anna would solve so many problems with FE reps in general (Female, potentially more than a sword user, etc.). The most important one for me is that it would be the best gift to long time fans of the series, something that we can all relate to. The flavor of the month lords are boring on so many levels. With Anna, it won't give the impression that Sakurai is just systematically picking the main characters of the newest games and actually put more thought into the selection process.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Didn't know this thread existed.
I wed her as soon as I found out that you could do such a thing in FE13. A very big fan since my first FE game. Anna would solve so many problems with FE reps in general (Female, potentially more than a sword user, etc.). The most important one for me is that it would be the best gift to long time fans of the series, something that we can all relate to. The flavor of the month lords are boring on so many levels. With Anna, it won't give the impression that Sakurai is just systematically picking the main characters of the newest games and actually put more thought into the selection process.
I like that about her too.

andimidna

Smash Master
You guys all know she's being rated in the RTC thread today, right?

I'll post a link if anybody needs it, but if you support Anna, come help!

andimidna

Smash Master
Sorry about the double post
Okay, I'm going to bother everybody now :laugh:
Yeah! The appreciation for Anna initially came from the fact that Fire Emblem is a series with so many hit-and-runs. Beyond Marth, you can't really immortalize anyone since they appear in a game or two and vanish. Over time, I started to just appreciate Anna for her charming character and gameplay possibilieis.
Consider me a supporter. After playing Awakening a while I've come to realize Anna is a better fit for this game than every other FE newcomer.
I support. It seems to me like she has the most to offer as a representative of Fire Emblem: having appeared in nearly all of them, her most prominent appearance being in Awakening, being a female, being a unique class, having tons of personality, having a cool electric sword. I would be delighted to see Anna.
I dunno how I never noticed this thread around. I figured I would come show my support for Anna. :p
Intelligent Systems and Game Freak both have a dialogue with Sakurai about who to pick for Smash Brothers.
IS introduced him to Roy, who he chose over Eliwood, and when that guy asked the E3 GF people about Mewtwo in Smash, Sakurai said they're thinking about it. Sakurai has made similar privations with GF.
Well, I always thought that Froakie was the most popular starter anyways, primarily because of Greninja, aye?

If GF is suggesting people like Greninja, it makes me simultaneously hopeful for Anna and fearful of Chrom.
I really don't buy that leak. The only reason anyone puts any stock in what that guy says is cause he got Wii Fit Trainer right, everyone else he got right you could see coming from a mile away. Especially since he said "Gen 6 Pokemon" rather than Greninja. I mean, freaking Mega-Lucario is a Gen 6 Pokemon. And if you think about it, Wii Fit Trainer makes total sense, considering how popular Wii Fit is.

And besides, how do we even know both leaks come from the same guy? I mean, some website claimed to get an e-mail from him, but who says either the website or the guy who sent the e-mail aren't lying?

Besides, going back to the leak, let's go over all of the things that would have to happen for this to be true, shall we? First, in June 2013, someone close to Nintendo, either who works there or is close to someone who works there leaks 6 people they're supposed to reveal at E3. Nintendo is pissed. So pissed that they change up their entire E3 presentation just to avoid looking like this guy is right. The guy who did the leaking, because you just KNOW Nintendo is tracking their employees computers, well, if he's lucky, upper management gives him a nice talking to, and then he's fired. If he's unlucky, upper management gives him a nice talking to. And then he's fired. He then, after being fired, continues working at Nintendo long enough to leak what is exactly is going on with the roster again 10 months later.

I don't buy it, text leaks are just way too fishy.
You know, even though I see the new FE spot going to someone like Chrom (ehhh) or Robin (better but still wouldn't scratch my specific itch), I can't help but hope that my prayers are answered and Anna takes the third spot. Her continued presence in the series would be a great argument to keep her tenured in future Smash games, she literally could represent EVERY style with a mixed move set and her promotions (based Trickster) and she's the only character who could get a Guilty Gear Johnny like play style or just a bad *** coin projectile for the sake of Profits™.

TL;DR I support the **** out of her.
You know, I have a particularly soft spot for this gal because of how much her Awakening avatar remind me of Haley from OotS.

Besides, she is the series' Rightful God. Anna 4 Smash.
Ah crud. I'm throwing in my support here! Add me!
ANNA

Anna is a recurring character of the Fire Emblem series, having appeared in every game except Fire Emblem: Gaiden. Her role varies from game to game, having appeared as a merchant, when the player suspends the game, during tutorials... and finally appearing as a playable character in Fire Emblem: Awakening.

In Awakening, she is a unit of the Trickster class, which is one of the promotions of the Thief class, the other being Assassin. By use of a change seal item, she can also become an Archer (which promotes to Sniper or Bow Knight) or a Mage (which promotes to Sage or Dark Knight).

In Path of Radiance, she also appears as a Pegasus Knight during the tutorials.

IMAGE GALLERY:
[COLLAPSE="Anna throughout the history of Fire Emblem"]

Games from left to right: Ankoku Ryu to Hikari no Ken, Monsho no Nazo, Seisen no Keifu, Thracia 776, Fuuin no Tsurugi, Fire Emblem and The Sacred Stones.

In Path of Radiance...

In Radiant Dawn...

In Shadow Dragon and Shin Monsho no Nazo -Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu-, respectively...
[/COLLAPSE]
[collapse="Fan art"]
[/collapse]

MOVESET:
Like her appearence as a Trickster in Awakening, Anna uses her sword with a reverse grip, standing out among other sword users in Smash Bros.

Special Moves:
Neutral B: Bow - Works similarly to Link or Pit's bow. Hold B and the control stick to aim the bow (can be forwards, up and anything between), let go of B to shoot the arrow.

Side B: Tome - She uses a magic tome to launch magic. This is a random move: she may use fire, thunder or wind magic. Fire magic deals the most damage and knockback. Thunder is a meteor smash if hits a foe in the air and has moderate damage and knockback and wind deals moderate damage and launches foes upwards.

Down B: Weapon Switch - Switches between four types of swords in this order:
Steel Sword -> Levin Sword -> Sonic Sword -> Runesword -> Steel Sword

Steed Sword deals normal damage and knockback.
Levin Sword is faster, but deals lesser damage and knockback. Also has thunder effect.
Sonic Sword deals lesser damage and knockback, but adds a wind effect that boosts the range of melee attacks.
Runesword is slower, stronger in damage and knockback and has shield breaking properties.

Up B: Sword Uppercut - Anna performs an uppercut using her sword, reminiscent of Marth and Roy. This attack has different properties depending on the sword used:

Steel Sword - Normal uppercut with no special effect. Similar to Marth's Dolphin Slash.
Levin Sword - Faster and entirely vertical uppercut, deals less damage though.
Sonic Sword - Generates a tornado that propells Anna upward. Doesn't deal damage but has wind effect that pushes nearby enemies.
Runesword - Upon using an uppercut, a flash of light damages every foe around Anna.

Alternate Up B: Sacred Tome Naga - Uses the powerful light tome to summon a light dragon, on which Anna rides upward, knocking foes along the way. Would be similar to Squirtle's Up Special, but going up, instead of diagonally.

Final Smash: Pegasus Strike
Anna calls forth a pegasus, rides on it and charges at a foe using a lance. This move deals around 20% with very high knockback.

[COLLAPSE="Normal moves"]A combo: A two hit combo, being the first an horizontal strike from right to left and the second an upwards vertical slash.

Side A: Stabs with the sword.

Running attack: A vertical spinning move, dealing up to 3 hits, with the third being the strongest, having KO potential.

Up A: Stabs the sword upward.

Down A: Uses a low kick on the foe. The foe may trip. Also, this attack is not affected by the sword in use.[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Smash attacks"]Up Smash: Anna performs a backflip, doing an upwards slash with the sword.

Side Smash: Anna grabs the sword with both hands and slashes down. When the Sonic Sword is in use, this attack is much weaker but generates a wind slash projectile with moderate knockback. The more charged, the bigger and the farther the wind wave goes.

Down Smash: Uses a spinning move with a dagger. This move isn't affected by her current weapon.[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Aerial moves"]Neutral Air: Dual slash with her sword, similar to Marth.

Forward Air: Grabs a thunder tome and shoots a small lightning bolt. Good KO potential.

Backward Air: Stabs her backward gripped sword, sending foes horizontally. A fast attack with KO potential.

Down Air: Uses a fire tome to create an explosion below her. This is a meteor smash.

Up Air: Upwards slash with her sword.[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Grabs and throws"]Pummel: While grabbing the foe, Anna stabs with a dagger.

Forward Throw: While grabbing the foe, Anna unleashes a blast of light magic on the foe, who is sent forward.

Backwards Throw: Anna pushes the foe to her back and delivers a kick to send the foe backwards.

Upwards Throw: Using wind magic, Anna launches her foe upward.

Downwards Throw: Knocking the foe on the floor, Anna unleashes a burst of dark magic, sending him/her flying on a random direction.[/COLLAPSE]
[collapse="Win and losing animations by Kikwi-Kiwi"][/collapse]

Anna's popularity in Japan according to polls among FE: Awakening's cast (courtesy of ChronoBound):

Why Anna has a good chance to be in Smash Bros.:
[collapse="Arguments by MonK4 and Dr. Slavic"]

[/collapse]

Cold Hard Capital, Ammunition for Anna - An essay by MonK4

Color Swaps:
[collapse="Color swaps by loganhogan"][/collapse]

Anna's Merchants (AKA the Supporter List):
Frostwraith
Snakeyes
DarkAres
Guybrush20X6
MonK4
FalKoopa
GoldenYuiitusin
Kikwi-Kiwi
MaskO'Gears
Swampasaur
shinpichu
FireEmblemnier
loganhogan
210stuna
Oasis_S
BarnOwlsRSoAdorable
Fastblade5035
Dr. Slavic
TheTuninator
Conren
Ogopogo
andimidna

Show your support in your signature!

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome. If you post a moveset, I can add it to the OP as well.
Man.... I love Anna.... I would be really glad if she made it in, even if she has to replace Ike or (Should I say it?!?!)...... Roy.... don't hurt me.

Edit: Add me to the supporter list!
You can go ahead and add me to the supporters list. If I had to pick a 4th FE char it'd be her.
You can put me on the supporters list, because she would make a good candidate for a 4 or even 5 FE character roster.
This is the FE characters i'm thinking in SSB4
Marth
Ike
Lucina
Anna
if 5, Roy.
and @Conren >:D

Pssstt... if you haven't rated her on the RTC thread yet, just click here: http://smashboards.com/threads/rate-their-chances-day-226-anna-and-slime.351920/page-63
;) thanks!
(PS... she is close to getting high enough ratings to make it on the top 10 want chart, we just need to get some supporters over there!)

EDIT: SHE MADE IT!
...MANY HAPPY CUSTOMERS!

Last edited:

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Someone mentioned how Greninja was really a weird decision to represent Pokemon. It's a starter in the current Gen, but in no way is it mascot material and the fact that it has 2 other equals and still got picked makes it extra peculiar. This gives a pick in Anna (which is peculiar, relatively) a little more hope because she's important but by no means as relevant as Chrom who is a main character and current.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I have had a sudden want to see Anna be playable in the game, especially if Roy is also playable so then people would complain about too many red haired swordsmen along with blue haired :laugh:

andimidna

Smash Master
I have had a sudden want to see Anna be playable in the game, especially if Roy is also playable so then people would complain about too many red haired swordsmen along with blue haired :laugh:
And then we'll get Robin and Micaiah too-
So people can complain about red, white, and blue hair...

I mean, that's just unpatriotic. :o

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
We need a bald rep so ppl will shut up about hair.

Hong

The Strongest
If Ike is cut, I see her having a sizable chance, if not, there's no way. But I REALLY want her in.
It is hardly relevant.

The characters that are chosen from this point are largely dictated by functionality. No stretch of the imagination would suggest Anna and Ike play at all similarly. If they want to implement Anna, they will do so because they have ideas for her character. Ike is already an established character with very specific attributes. The only characters whose chances are improved by the discontinuation of Ike would be character who could function similarly to the character, such as Chrom, Magnus, or any variety of strong humanoid swordsmen.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
It is hardly relevant.

The characters that are chosen from this point are largely dictated by functionality. No stretch of the imagination would suggest Anna and Ike play at all similarly. If they want to implement Anna, they will do so because they have ideas for her character. Ike is already an established character with very specific attributes. The only characters whose chances are improved by the discontinuation of Ike would be character who could function similarly to the character, such as Chrom, Magnus, or any variety of strong humanoid swordsmen.
I just don't see us getting four FE reps.

Hong

The Strongest
I just don't see us getting four FE reps.
"This is such an amazing character idea. They offer so many fun, interesting gameplay prospects and play like no one else."

"Nah, forget it. Our spreadsheets state Fire Emblem already has three characters. If we have four Fire Emblem characters, some fierce, inane, nonsensical demon god will resurrect and annihilate all of Shinigawa."

Top Bottom