• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vier's video thread: gg. I quit

St. Viers

Smash Champion
...but when ur opponent is halfway across the screen? Thats the problem, I do things that I know theoretically are useless/

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I understand where you are coming from, Viers... However, you have already made one great step to becoming better.

Not only do you recognize what you do/have done wrong, but you've made a list of it. That's what I did and I think that's a good start.

Just get a list of a few things to work on and practice each one for about 20 mins by myself each day, or every other day. It really does help.

And this is something you have to FORCE yourself to do... it is similar to the first time you wavedashed. Even though there may be something you want to do, like wavedash grab, because you think it'll be more effective or you're more comfortable with it, FORCE yourself to run and JC grab instead. That may not be what you want to do and you may miss, but if you keep forcing yourself to do it it'll become habit.

Like I said, it's like when you wavedash the first time. 99% of Smashers when first learning wavedash can wavedash in training, but they never do it in a match... it's because it'll screw them up and they don't know how to apply it, but if they force themselves to do it they'll get better with it eventually.

I think it is universally constant in Smash that when you learn something new or try something new, you get worse, but as you continue to apply it, you get better than you were before. It just takes time.

/ramble

That probably made no sense. Point = Make a list of things and practice them.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
**minibump**
more videos. in the newest batch I'm actually trying to not just spam n-air and down-smash...with pills and jabs thrown in...

all in first post, I think they have ** after them or something. Plus I updated my little news along with latest update section.

St. Viers

Smash Champion

St. Viers

Smash Champion
*minibump*

added vids to first post (linked).

Still looking for advice on where I can improve...13 days and no advice/comments... I'd be sad if I weren't used to it XD

also, something I realized about the PTP...the hardest part isn't mashing B to make you rise. Instead, it is stopping mashing in time to hit upB as quickly as possible. Even if you are a bit off, it's better than continuing to mash B and hit up (as by that point you've been mashing b too long and are slowing down, meaning you pass over the earliest time to upB.

Hope that made sense.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
i watched the one where you played against the marth

you should wavedash more, especially wavedash to ftilt... i hear thats good against marth... eventhough i dont use it alot either
i dont know how usefull it is, but try wavedash to shiel to, and wait for them to hit your shield and then act oos
you should practice your anti-edgeguard alot... it seemed you where pretty helpless...
also, i´d recommend you use the PTP in the beginning of your recovery, but i guess that preference...
dont use it if you dont have a rejump and are to fare away from the edge though, i hear you´ll loose height xD
against marth i´d recommend to come towards the stage from below and sweetspot, or try t make it onto the stage if he cliffhangers.... you have to know how to tech though :D

hope i could help you...
somehow i get confused by your vids :D i never know which ones are new (of course the ones on top, but i´m just always confused :D

greetz
yomi

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
I uh.. posted comments on a couple videos. I'd have to say mechanically speaking your game is really impressive; you've got a good solid wavedash and your fulljump pills look great. I can only criticize their coherence in the match.. I mean doc is very difficult to combo with in the first place, but i see you erring on the side of caution quite a bit and losing alot of opportunities to bust some ***. I'd say.. either continue playing defensively and try to work on being a bit more effective as a defensive player (maybe more mindgames, more setups), or turn up the pressure a tad.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
yeah, I'm working on that--over the weekend I played kdj, and one can only get owned so many times before it becomes obvious:
1. what your problems are
2. what they do (even if you can't imitate it) that is better than you.

I realized that I need to actually make openings and use them. DD t grab, dash attack, DD to WD jab/ tilt really help, rather than just pilling to n-air/d-smash. Also, I need to get used to grabbing quicker after jabs--my second technical problem after missing FFing, which is a big problem.

Because being more defensive isn't an option unless I was sheik, or falco...doc's projectile simply isn't good enough.

[sidenote]interestingly enough, playing SSB64 really helps seeing when to attack, as that game is all about not getting hit/ getting a hit leading to a combo off [/sidenote]

Pine

Smash Ace
i watched you match vs fox and one thing i really noticed is that you up throw to nair...a lot

around 30-40 damage you can up throw....run under them charging an upsmash...and regrab or upair after it....its a lot better then just getting one hit

St. Viers

Smash Champion
pine: thanks--I'm usually leery about the upsmash...but I'll try it.

Oh, I have access to a capture card again, so perhaps vids soon.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
hmm...definitely gonna try it XD <_< Does it work then (i'm guessing) on falcon and falco as well?

Pine

Smash Ace
ye it works on fast fallers nicely....upsmash is one of my favorite comboers on them, unless the smash DI ofc :x but who does that?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Good bye for now. I've realized I suck at this game so I'll just leave y'all alone until I stop hating the game and myself...

I'm just getting tired of being like "I'm getting better," only to realize I'm kidding myself. I can't Shffl properly, I can't combo, I can't jab to anything quick enough, and I can't even pill properly. I can't approach people, and I can't get grabs. Every time an enemy whiffs, I don't punish, but every time I hit a shield I'm ****ed, because I can't react fast enough...so I'm taking a break from thinking I can be competitive in this game. I won't be posting for advice, because nothing y'all say helps, I'm suck on a much more basic level than that...
except that I know off-hand that this is just me getting frustrated, and all etc....knowing that just doesn't help, cause it means that I have something else to hate myself for--getting frustrated so easily.

So peace out for now...sorry for wasting your time. I hope that when I get over my mental block I'll be better. Dunno how long that will be, cause I have a lot to get over, spanning past sucke getting mad at ssbm.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Doc is a hard character dude. Most people never really get too good with him. Look at Bob$, he got like 3'd by Thorn's falco and he's considered one of the best Docs.

So, all I'm saying is don't just give up. Try out some other characters. See who fits you better since Doc is just not a good enough character for high level play. This is just my advice.

I should be at the next MM, we should play there. :)

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
don´t just give up...
you cant give up just cause you think you aren´t good enough :)
like spawn said... try out someone else...
try playing fox falco sheik or marth, something that fits your playstyle...

its the same with my doc.... he just doesnt get very good... i mean i beat ppl. that arent used to playing against doc, but against others, or against players that are better than i am, i fail completely...
i´m frustrated too, but luckily, doc isnt my main

so, just make a switch...
we all know in your heart is still Top-Tier

it sucks to see one of the active doc players go....

stick with it :)

Top Bottom