• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video with cool, NEW Yoshi techniques!

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
woot thanks shiri salab. I still cant get the timing for the instant ledge eggs. Sometimes i keep getting stuck on the ledge a becuase of a split second of invinciblity. I also grab the ledge before the egg fully thrown by accident sometimes. Oh and the guy or girl deleted the vid.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
What kind of vids do you need to place up Dsty? I got my recorder up and running so I can help out anytime.

Shiri, I don't quite understand your explanation. Is the semi circle like moonwalking from melee? I need clarification plz.
I'm really behind on updating the video discussion thread thats stickied. There's a bunch of videos I haven't put up like Shiri's, and a few more that are posted in the thread.

Actually the first thing I thought of was that the motion is similar to moonwalking to melee but upside down. This is what I do: Dash in the direction you want to slide with the control stick. Then quickly move the control stick to one of the top left or right notches and press B. I'm not sure if this is the best way to slide the furthest, but you do get some good distance. Hope that helps.

woot thanks shiri salab. I still cant get the timing for the instant ledge eggs. Sometimes i keep getting stuck on the ledge a becuase of a split second of invinciblity. I also grab the ledge before the egg fully thrown by accident sometimes. Oh and the guy or girl deleted the vid.
The way I do it is to press the control stick away from the ledge. This will make you let go of the ledge and you won't have any downward momentum. From there, throw the egg, and you should grab onto the ledge without appearing to have moved anywhere if you do it quick enough. If you do it this way I suggest to turn off tap to jump because if you have it on and you press either left or right to go away from the ledge and then toss an egg, you will activate your double jump and the momentum will carry you away from the ledge no matter which way you throw the egg. As a result you will be too far to grab anything and you will die. Hope that helps. :)

EDIT: You can only use this method up to five times on the ledge. After that you're eggs will revert back to melee eggs and will not boost you high enough to grab the ledge! After that you will have to do it by dropping straight down and using your second jump to boost you back to the ledge. If you still have trouble with timing, its alright, it just takes a bit of practice to get down right, after that its easy. Don't give up!

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
aw man and I had just discovered the Yoshi's tongue tip thing. You guys are fast >: \... it's hard to do btw. Did it once on the ground...........

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Yeah. The motion is simple. You might not even have to do a motion, but it's just how I do it.

If you're running to the right, you can toss an egg to the left by inputting: right, up + B, left (and then the direction you want the egg to go in). You might be able to go straight from right to up + left, but my analogs are pretty bad and this is the most I can get out of them. You can do it as far or as quickly into the dash as you'd like and you'll be able to do it almost instantly pretty easily in 1/2 or 1/4 speed from training mode.

The edge eggs are kinda wonky. Very inconsistent for some reason. It's also a little difficult when you start learning due to the extended grab window for edge grabbing. Since you stay locked to the edge for longer, it's not as rapid fire as the ability was in Melee. There's also the part about tossing the egg but remaining at the same height that I can mostly do, but still can't control 100%. Oh well, just need more practice time, I suppose.

All in all, I thought tonight went pretty well guys, LOL! ^_^

P.S. - I think all Yoshis should seriously consider playing with Tap Jump off. Just a suggestion.

bigman40

Smash Master
eh, I still can't get the sliding eggs. I can pivot the egg throw after the or before the dashing animation, but I don't get any type of slide like fumi got. Heck, I barely get any at all.

P.S. Shiri you're completely right about playing w/o tap jump.

But I got the egg lay to footstool in the air. Very hard to time.

Sharky

Smash Master
Nice job to everyone for figuring this out! I only wish I could have gotten to a Wii to help out along with you guys. =( Ah well, what matters is we know about it now! =D

I'd just like to add that pro-level melee play was all about precise spacing and timing, so why should we shortchange ourselves by dismissing the egg-lay time-out as being "too hard"? With enough practice, and knowing the right situations to use it, we can definitely make it a strong part of our arsenal. =D

The edge eggs are weird now, yeah. I've mentioned them a bit in my thread. I've only just recently started to make use of them, though. Need more! =P

tapjump + Yoshi = bad. It prevents you from using your double jump after the egg throw, unless you're very precise about pressing up+b or use b-sticking. I agree with Shiri on this one.

Alou

Smash Cadet
I went and tried some of the stuff last night before I went to bed. The edge egg thing is something that I get maybe once out of every five or six times still need to take some time to learn that well.

For tap jump I've never really turned it off. Maybe that will help so Ill give it a try as well.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
So I was just trying out the stuff again, and I noticed something. The sliding egg toss can't be done as easily with tap to jump off. What happens is that your actually canceling your initial dash with a jump, not not the egg toss. With tap to jump off it registers the jump right before the egg toss, and thats why it would cancel the dash. So if you have tap to jump on, you actually have to hit your jump button during the dash animation, quickly followed by your up b before you leave the ground.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I've been playing around with controller settings today, trying to find sneaky ways of doing advanced techs easier.

Ultimately very little success, but I came up with a few concerns for people experimenting with tap jump.

If tap jump is deactivated, then the game cube controller can't seem to register a dashing or pivoting egg-toss. This might be something specific to my game, but I jumped back and forth between tap jump on and off for a good 20 minutes, and while I can consistently pull off a pivot-egg-toss with it on, I couldn't do it once with it off.

Comments/concerns?

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Dsty and shiri thanks for the advice. So to do it faster and reduce the lag in between shots. I should turn jump tap off and hit backwards immdeitaly after i grab the ledge? Cause last night when i was practicing this like shiri said, mines were inconsistant. Unlike melee where after a couple of shots. U can do it multiple times quickly. Here I was only able to get yoshi to fall away from the edge instantly a few times. But on the bright side that was my first time trying to replicate high speed edge eggs so Im sure i can do it with practice. An RAWWRR yoshi is awsome lol.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I can pivot egg toss all the time with it off. You can't do it RIGHT when the dashing animation is happening.
I've been able to consistently replicate the Yoshi in the OP's video with it on, and the second I turn it off, bam, instantly incapable of doing it.

It's better for other things... namely the ability to double-jump after an aerial egg-toss consistently and perfect Utilts, but it really shafts me with the pivot-toss.

Am I really the only one affected by this?

kangaroo

Smash Cadet
Can anyone put it back up? Find this again? I really want to see this video.
I tried to retrieve the deleted video, but it was too late. If that youtube account is fumi's then I don't understand why he would remove it. Maybe he didn't like the reaction he was getting. If that's the case, we're screwed because he won't be sharing new techniques that he finds.

Can someone just make a new video that shows the techniques?

Scarlet Jile said:
That doesn't make sense, because I CAN do it while the animation is happening with tap jump off.
I think people are getting confused about which one is off and on. Tap jump on means that pushing up on the analog stick will make you jump and tap jump off means it won't. And yes, it is a lot easier to do it with tap jump on, but it can be done in tap jump off, just requires more practice.

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
So to do a retreating egg toss slide to the right would basically be...

-Dash (Analog stick facing right)
-(Press jump if tap jump is off-- like me :\)
-Egg Toss (Analog stick up left)
-Point analog stick right

??

D

Deleted member

Haha the yoshi boards are too good. Too bad fumi removed the vid. Thanks for all the tech discoveries, but what about that super fast pivot grab? Ths stuff make me continue to main yoshi again (i realized rob was teh hax, and pretty soon everyone would use him, plus i dont like him as much anymore, so im trying to main yoshi again).

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
the fast pivot grab: heres how to do it... may be someone mentioned already, but i dont want to check cus i dont have much time and its a bit slow loading pages.

If you wanna do a grab to the right, you face the right first.
Dash (very briefly and quickly) to the left, and do a grab (basically just do a dashing grab)
then while diong the dashing grab (im not sure when) tap the C stick to the right, and thats how you do it.

Yoshi will turn around while diong the dashing grab, and therefore grab to the right.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I tried to retrieve the deleted video, but it was too late. If that youtube account is fumi's then I don't understand why he would remove it. Maybe he didn't like the reaction he was getting. If that's the case, we're screwed because he won't be sharing new techniques that he finds.

Can someone just make a new video that shows the techniques?

I think people are getting confused about which one is off and on. Tap jump on means that pushing up on the analog stick will make you jump and tap jump off means it won't. And yes, it is a lot easier to do it with tap jump on, but it can be done in tap jump off, just requires more practice.
Yeah. You're right.

Syntactical catastrophe. I took a break from the computer and when I came back to check the thread I realized where the confusion stemmed from.

I still can't seem to pull it off smoothly with the tap jump off, though, which sucks, because I feel like I either have to sacrifice my ability to consistently use double-jump after an egg-toss, or my ability to pivot-toss.

Mmac

Smash Lord
So to do a retreating egg toss slide to the right would basically be...

-Dash (Analog stick facing right)
-(Press jump if tap jump is off-- like me :\)
-Egg Toss (Analog stick up left)
-Point analog stick right

??
Yeah, thats basically it

burntsocks said:
Thanks for all the tech discoveries, but what about that super fast pivot grab?
Its Dash to Grab to C-Stick in the Opposite Direction in a quick succession. the faster you do it, the less you'll slide back and more useful it becomes, but if your timing is off, you might accidentally forward smash or roll

Alou

Smash Cadet
the fast pivot grab: heres how to do it... may be someone mentioned already, but i dont want to check cus i dont have much time and its a bit slow loading pages.

If you wanna do a grab to the right, you face the right first.
Dash (very briefly and quickly) to the left, and do a grab (basically just do a dashing grab)
then while diong the dashing grab (im not sure when) tap the C stick to the right, and thats how you do it.

Yoshi will turn around while diong the dashing grab, and therefore grab to the right.
I personally tap the C stick just before and so far its been working pretty good. Its actually pretty simple once you get it down once. Now just gotta try using it in a brawl.

bigman40

Smash Master
If you guys need a video of it being done, I can replicate it (untill I successfully do the egg lay footstool). My recording equipment is always up and running so I can recording at any time and make it.

speagle

Smash Rookie
it certainly is much more difficult to do the sliding egg toss with tap jump off but id say ive got it down. i do use the classic controller with modified buttons however (Y button is Special and B button is Attack). I just slide my thumb about a split second after pressing the jump button to the special button. i dont know if its easier to with the classic controller, havent really tried with the gc controller though.

kangaroo

Smash Cadet
If you guys need a video of it being done, I can replicate it (untill I successfully do the egg lay footstool). My recording equipment is always up and running so I can recording at any time and make it.
ya, you should make a new video for those who didn't get to see the first one.

Opfer

Smash Cadet
Hmm, I just hope the only reason why he put it down was to make an improved version of it or something like that. I mean, he got like 9 subscribers after posting that video, why would he put it down? ;)

Alou

Smash Cadet
Actually would be nice to see it again. Seeing it again will hopefully make it easier for me to get it all down.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for making a video of all the stuff. :)

How long did it take to get those canceled egg lays? I've yet to get one while edgeguarding! /envy. Your sliding egg tosses could use a little work, it's a lot harder to do with tap to jump off, but it's looking good!

bigman40

Smash Master
It must have taken you forever to get the Egg Lay to Footstool Jump down. Its nice to see the techs back on a video.

However you forgot the Quick Pivot Grab! :O
Yeah, I actually got the ELFS (Egg Lay FootStomp[lol random nicknames XD] in a 1 hr and a half. [My first ELFS came on my 3-5 try doing it XD it was crazy] I'll most likely edit the video when I feel better, and when youtube stops acting like an *** to me.

I was rushing it too. So my ETS wasn't perfect. I kept getting the pivot when I was using it. The hardest thing about the ELFS is that as soon as wolf breaks out, you have to run off, and IMMEDIATELY do egg lay. It's so quick that the timing is nearly less than half a second.

Top Bottom