• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video with cool, NEW Yoshi techniques!

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
It looks like:

Part 1: Pivot grabbing (quickly)
Part 2: Pivot egg-tossing (or just dash-egg-tossing)
Part 3: Edge-canceled egg-toss
Part 4: Down-B ledge-grab
Part 5: Grab -> F-throw -> Grab -> F-throw?

(Edit: Part 5 seems to be a canceled special. Apparently the tip of the tongue can be used to semi-eat someone?)

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Part 5: Grab -> F-throw -> Grab -> F-throw
Except you cant do a fthrow in midair, it looks more like its canceling a neutral b.

I think the what he was trying to show was the speed of the pivot grabs, they're incredibly quick. It looks like something is being canceled in order to do them that fast.

The sliding egg tosses look very similar to smash dashing.

Maybe it's just me, but the edge canceled egg tosses look a little bit quicker than usual. Nearly no movement, less wind up time. Or they could just be really well timed.

He also doesn't have a gamer tag so that means that he's not using a modified controller set up right?

Definitely some interesting stuff to look into. Thanks for posting it. :)

EDIT: Lol, just noticed it's fumi XD, no wonder the techs are so awesome!

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
the reason the eggs come out quicker is because he isn't jumping, i believe, hes using only the boost from the up b to get back, which is also why he isn't going quite as high and it was getting faster at the end

The very last part amazes me, and seems to be egg lay to a footstool jump, which i wouldn't have thought possible, although i very well could be wrong :s
looked back and yeah, that seems to be what it is

PS. Huzzah, another blue yoshi!

bigman40

Smash Master
pivot egg tossing doesn't send me that far unless the timing is MUCH more crucial. If you were to pivot an egg toss, your momentum would reverse. He can't be doing that.

The last part i'm still wondering about. I know he's canceling the egg lay, but how?

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
Is... that Fumi? I have never seen a Yoshi do that before. If that is Fumi, well I will be more than happy.

salaboB

Smash Champion
The last part i'm still wondering about. I know he's canceling the egg lay, but how?
I haven't tested this to verify but from the video it looked like he footstool jumped -- the second time he did it was easier for me to see that than the first.

bigman40

Smash Master
From looking at it. I don't think that the footstool jump is canceling it. He's finishing the egg lay animation just before the jump. Also, after testing the sliding egg tosses, they are not pivot tosses. He's canceling something within the move cause when I do it, I have to wait until i'm in the running animation.

salaboB

Smash Champion
From looking at it. I don't think that the footstool jump is canceling it. He's finishing the egg lay animation just before the jump. Also, after testing the sliding egg tosses, they are not pivot tosses. He's canceling something within the move cause when I do it, I have to wait until i'm in the running animation.
Well, here's what I can tell you that may help: I've had an egg lay cancel while I was standing on the ground, so you're likely correct and probably whatever he's doing is what I had done by accident. At the time, I had assumed it was my opponent's action but maybe it's something like hitting B again, or pressing a direction (If it were I'd guess up or down) at the right time.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I'll be testing this immediately.

I know grab resists had come back in Brawl, but I didn't think you could either resist or cancel the Egg Lay.

I need to start thinking outside the box again.

P.S. - Fumi's back, *****es!

Sharky

Smash Master
I'm definitely gonna have to look into what that last bit was, hopefully I can get to kirk's place tonight to do some testing of my own.

Woo fumi-style craziness!

EDIT: I know that grabs could be cancelled by being on unlevel terrain (ie hills) and such, but whenever that's happened to me the opponent went up. I dunno if one would be able to get a footstool in quick enough afterward or not, but something to consider. (if it is a grab at all and not egg lay)

salaboB

Smash Champion
Well, here's what I can tell you that may help: I've had an egg lay cancel while I was standing on the ground, so you're likely correct and probably whatever he's doing is what I had done by accident. At the time, I had assumed it was my opponent's action but maybe it's something like hitting B again, or pressing a direction (If it were I'd guess up or down) at the right time.
I just did some testing, and I think I was wrong -- it must have been my grab that had been cancelled, and I couldn't locate anything that cancelled an egg lay either on the ground or in the air.

Since he did it twice to a cpu though, there's obviously *something* he's doing I just have no idea what.

Sharky

Smash Master
adding to what I said a little bit ago, there's also the question of why he couldn't double jump back to the stage in the second one.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I've had my neutral b get canceled like that when i was on the ground, it looks similar to an opponent breaking out of your grabs. Seriously, someone's got to figure out how to do this stuff! I'm still almost certain that all of the stuff in that video requires some sort of canceling.

Fumi is just taunting us with awesome techs -_-.

EDIT:
adding to what I said a little bit ago, there's also the question of why he couldn't double jump back to the stage in the second one.
I think maybe he just missed the footstool initially, and got it after the second jump. You can see the ripple from the second jump appear just before the footstool.

ethadream

Smash Rookie
Oh. My. God.
Oh. My. God.
OMG!

Great find! I will definitely be trying this out. As for the last part, the "cancelled" Egg Lay, I hope someone will figure out how to do that.

I have pretty much no clue to what he was doing! Great video! If anyone finds the info, someone needs to compile it and sticky it immediately!

EDIT: For the last part, the important part is figuring out how to cancel the Egg Lay. He is grabbing the opponenet, chewing them (just to deal damage), letting them escape, and going after them with an Egg Lay. But somehow, he is canceling the move, then quickly Footstool Jumping on the enemy.

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
Pahaaaaaa and I thought Fumi was gone... foolish boy.

Is he perhaps doing the sliding egg toss in the same way you can cancel dash attack into usmash? Like this--> http://youtube.com/watch?v=l7Q2gfVEf0k but with up B? I'll try it out today. Fumi should just come here : )

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
It looks like Fumi is a "Me to know, and you to find out" kinda person. But I say start finding out by doing what it looks like first. e.g. neutral B then jumping till you cancel it or something. this is gonna be hard.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Pahaaaaaa and I thought Fumi was gone... foolish boy.

Is he perhaps doing the sliding egg toss in the same way you can cancel dash attack into usmash? Like this--> http://youtube.com/watch?v=l7Q2gfVEf0k but with up B? I'll try it out today. Fumi should just come here : )
I tried that, and it doesn't seem to work. If you try dash smashing with yoshi, he doesn't slide either, he comes to a complete stop instead. Maybe it's a different kind of cancel that Japan has come out with that we don't know of yet?

The tricky thing about this is that there's really going to be no way to find out until we actually can replicate it. The timing on many of the moves can come down to having an opening of a few frames to input the buttons. So even if we do the right inputs, if the timing is off just by a little, it won't work.

Some things I noticed, with the pivot grabs he ends up doing a fsmash after all the grabs. Maybe it means that he's canceling using smashes or something like that? Idk. The sliding egg tosses, you can hear him do a dash attack to the right before he goes over the ledge. If he is canceling dash attacks, I got no idea if its the same as other characters, nor how well timed it has to be.

dinhotheone

Smash Apprentice
the last one looks really potent, especially with like an edeguard or something. ...fumi

if fumi's back, i would like this cleared up, is it a he or a she? ive heard rumors of both. ive had rumors that both were rumors...i still dont know the truth.

Alou

Smash Cadet
Most of the stuff I could see being able to be done but that last part oh wow...How anyone could do that or even figure out how to do that is beyond me. I'm definitely going to try some more Yoshi stuff after seeing that

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I've actually done that chaingrab on a Wario in tournament.

I've got a partial version of it here at 0:22.

It's possible, but the timing has to be nigh-perfect. I don't know how long the chaingrab lasts for, but it is quite possible. Your spacing has to be perfect, too. They usually try to spam jump out, but at sub-100% they can't get out--if your spacing is off, they can footstool off of you to escape. Without the footstool, I don't believe Wario can escape.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I believe he's canceling the egg lay by jumping on the egg (before you can see it) so i'm guessing a footstool jump breaks the egg and allows the footstool jump to go through it. This is just an educated guess.

As far as pivot grabs go, I can't seem to get it down. I usually don't grab in brawl (old yoshi melee habit) and rather egg lay since it's faster but if I could learn the trick to the pivot grab (i can do it after Bair but thats it atm) so any tips?

Shiri

Smash Chump
I believe he's canceling the egg lay by jumping on the egg (before you can see it) so i'm guessing a footstool jump breaks the egg and allows the footstool jump to go through it. This is just an educated guess.
:yoshi: See, that's what I thought at first.

However, he never actually swallows the opponent. There's something else at work here.

Gindler said:
As far as pivot grabs go, I can't seem to get it down. I usually don't grab in brawl (old yoshi melee habit) and rather egg lay since it's faster but if I could learn the trick to the pivot grab (i can do it after Bair but thats it atm) so any tips?
My only tip regarding learning how and when to pivot grab or just to grab in general (all of Yoshi's grabs rock and I'm not even joking), try to challenge every ground move you can. Pikachu's forward smash, Marth's forward smash, Snake's whatever, Meta Knight's <insert move here>, and anything else you can think of. Grab early and grab often. You'll learn the timing and spacing soon enough. It doesn't take as long to learn as the new forward air, but it still has a slight learning curve.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Cheaaaa. Zawwwsome find. It looks like yoshi can kill easly with down b. I have know idea how he does the sliding eggs. My guess is hess putting Very Strong Di inputs in yoshis egg tossing frame. As far as the toung goes. I believe hes grabing him with the neutral b. then realing him in and jumpstooling him before hes turned into an egg. An i believe that tech is working because of wolfs falling speed. We all will defintely have to practive thes new advance techs to make sure our yoshis evolve.

bigman40

Smash Master
Okay, yes the chain grab works on certain characters. We haven't tested them all out yet.

The egg lay: there's a very small point on yoshi's tongue that makes this works. You have to hit that very tip to get the egg lay. (Like, it's the size of a needle for him...>_>)

More to come when we figure the rest out.

Props to Mmac for figuring this out first.

D

Deleted member

K by doing a sort of frame by frame view of the egg tossing (pressing pause and play repetadly), u can clearly see that when hes doing it backwards, he is actually turning around. My guess is that he is cancelling the beggining of the dash with an egg throw and like stated, maybe putting a lot of DI DURING the throw as well, and the combined momentum of the dash and the DI makes him slide. There may be more to it, but he is definately turning around. Also tell me about this chain grab =P Im interested. Also the egg lay thing is rly wierd.

Thanks for figuring that egg lay stuff out bigman and mmac.

bigman40

Smash Master
Np guys. Mmac wrote the list so i'll edit this post on who it works on.

Guess we'll have to hold on that egg slide.

Edit: Qouted from Mmac:

K, well I tested out the characters with an human opponent, and these ones can be forward chain grabbed

-Ganondorf
-Meta Knight
-Falco
-Squirtle
-Lucas
-Sonic*

*Sonic is much harder to do, you need to react quickly when he releases or else he'll will escape

Wario can be infinite grabbed, but your timing needs to be exactly right or its possible for Wario to escape

This was done a few hours ago by us. Hope this helps!

salaboB

Smash Champion
My brother told me that he's pretty sure Yoshi's egg lay times out while pulling people in, so it makes sense that what's happening is he's grabbing at the extreme edge of his range so the enemy is just timing out and being released.

If this is in fact what's happening, it's not nearly as useful as it appears due to the superprecise spacing required to execute it.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I just got the neutral b to cancel like 4 times in a row on the ground. Like bigman said, I think the very tip of the tongue has to barely touch the character's frame... If that's how it was done in the video, its gonna be a real pain to get this tech down lol.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Okay, so minor update.

As I had suspected, the reverse egg toss is just a cancellation of his dash, very much like pivot grabs. The controller inputs look like a semi-circle going from one horizontal extreme, to up, and then to the opposite horizontal extreme. The quicker you reach the other end of the controller determines how far in the opposite you'll slide. In truth, you can continue to slide in one direction while tossing in the other or actually gain horizontal momentum in the direction of the toss. The direction in which you slide depends on the positioning horizontally of the analog stick. Therefore, when I say "horizontal extreme" in the sentences earlier, don't read that to mean 100% right or 100% left. If your positioning is slight enough, you can still turn around while moving in the original direction.

Also, no johns on learning how to do this. If I can do it, everyone else darn sure can.

Update: SalaboB, your brother is a pretty smart guy. Yoshi's Egg Lay does indeed time out at the tip. This is neither a cancel (an action you perform) nor a resist (an action the enemy performs). So that's that. Now, some will probably immediately say, "Awesome, this is worthless now," but in response to that, I'll say just try it out when you're over the ledge. Yoshi doesn't have any forward-reaching options, anyway, and if you don't get the timeout, you'll at least get em for what...8% and a free hit when they come out of the egg? I think it's a nice trick to have up one's sleeve. Kinda wish it were a cancel, but at least we know what's going on.

Also, very nice to see everyone working so hard to find out what's happening, hahaha.

P.S. - Don't worry about chainthrows with Yoshi. Focus on the chaingrabs. ^_~

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the update Shiri! I wasn't doing it as fast before, but now it looks much better. It is indeed great to see everyone working together. I haven't seen so many people active on the Yoshi boards since dmbrandon gave his character impressions XD. Good job everyone, we tore that video to shreds. I think we give fumi too much credit. :O lol did I just say that? Hopefully this is a small beginning for Yoshi's metagame development. Keep up the good work everyone!

On a side note, sorry I haven't been updating the video thread for a while, I'll get everyone's videos up by the end of the week. I'm gonna also delete pretty much all of the random japanese games and upload member videos (that's what we really want to see right? :)). It'll be much more organized.

bigman40

Smash Master
What kind of vids do you need to place up Dsty? I got my recorder up and running so I can help out anytime.

Shiri, I don't quite understand your explanation. Is the semi circle like moonwalking from melee? I need clarification plz.

Top Bottom