• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video & Critique Thread

Lord Cruxis

Smash Cadet
I just started it doing it like crazy right now in wifi. The application of this is....just to much lol. I got a kill by sending the guy off stage, throw the melon up so it sort of stays in place and set the tramp right at the edge. The guy rolls back on stage on to the tramp into the non moving melon into death. Pacman is going to be moving up in the tiers man.

EDIT: since this is a video place, here it is in action with the melon during a match, its only 4 seconds long for the impatient people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97ou8AEix-o

and here it is with galaga...I think it works at certain percentages, I wouldn't risk with galaga since...well they're not flying from it haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzzZurGYav8

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I just started it doing it like crazy right now in wifi. The application of this is....just to much lol. I got a kill by sending the guy off stage, throw the melon up so it sort of stays in place and set the tramp right at the edge. The guy rolls back on stage on to the tramp into the non moving melon into death. Pacman is going to be moving up in the tiers man.
You could even simply throw the melon down so that it blocks the ledge from an opponent trying to ledgesnap.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
lol y'all judging alot off wifi matches with lots of button lag from CT. I don't mind though

If you guys have are actually doing anything besides talking, i've won 3 tournaments so far and haven't dropped a set yet. But yall can continue to Wi-Fi LMAO

Also, any of you guys pulling results?
Sorry. Your Pac-Man is good, but I didn't think it was the best showing vs. Falcon, and since you're a bigger name than any of us, it'll be a standard for people that don't study the character until something else comes up. I understand the lag johns because they are a huge problem when you play a character that can't grab, and when fractions a second can be the difference between winning and losing a game, your fruit charge, getting your hydrant launched at you, etc.

That being said, I'm glad other people are using him. Good luck @ Apex. Oh, and while you're here, I remember seeing you on a stream once fighting somebody as Luigi in Brawl. I think you were on Halberd. You forced an edge slip on them and could've downward angled Ftilt locked him -> up B'd him for the game, but you didn't. I was disappointed.

If the match of Nietono's Sheik vs. Abadango is in the OP, it sums why I keep complaining about Pac-Man's grab and why I'm starting to have second thoughts. Gunblade points it out too. I feel like Pac-Man almost has to flail in neutral when the opponent is close because you can't grab. It's like you're playing rock-paper-scissors, and you only have Rock and Scissors as Pac-Man. A smart opponent will abuse this. Up B only goes so far because you have to be on top of them for it to hit. Nietono spaced his aerials well, so up B couldn't replace the grabbing issue and you see Abadango slowly get chipped away at because he has to take medium to large risks to get anything done.

Edit: http://www.twitch.tv/rushhoursmash/b/617415498?t=3h31m55s ; the match I'm referring to, just in case it's not in the OP. Game 2 in particular showcases it.

Last edited:

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Sorry. Your Pac-Man is good, but I didn't think it was the best showing vs. Falcon, and since you're a bigger name than any of us, it'll be a standard for people that don't study the character until something else comes up. I understand the lag johns because they are a huge problem when you play a character that can't grab, and when fractions a second can be the difference between winning and losing a game, your fruit charge, getting your hydrant launched at you, etc.

That being said, I'm glad other people are using him. Good luck @ Apex. Oh, and while you're here, I remember seeing you on a stream once fighting somebody as Luigi in Brawl. I think you were on Halberd. You forced an edge slip on the MK and could've downward angled Ftilt locked him -> up B'd him for the game, but you didn't. I was disappointed.

If the match of Nietono's Sheik vs. Abadango is in the OP, it sums why I keep complaining about Pac-Man's grab and why I'm starting to have second thoughts. Gunblade points it out too. I feel like Pac-Man almost has to flail in neutral when the opponent is close because you can't grab. It's like you're playing rock-paper-scissors, and you only have Rock and Scissors as Pac-Man. A smart opponent will abuse this. Up B only goes so far because you have to be on top of them for it to hit. Nietono spaced his aerials well, so up B couldn't replace the grabbing issue and you see Abadango slowly get chipped away at because he has to take medium to large risks to get anything done.

Edit: http://www.twitch.tv/rushhoursmash/b/617415498?t=3h31m55s ; the match I'm referring to, just in case it's not in the OP.
I understand the thought process behind why people hate on his throw, but at the same time. Everyone knows its bad, but I seldom see players use it as a trap. It is something I am doing in the lab/FG. You are able to bait attacks, and punish with trampoline or hydrant, depending on how they approach. Grabs are really strong in this game, but we have two of the best specials to basically go lol grab. While if spammed they are predictable, Hydrant and trampoline let us delay or get out of dodge whenever we feel we need to.

I am trying to transition my play style to allow for more effective punishing with tilts and fruit rather then just approaching and trying to react with a throw because it works with other characters. I was getting wrecked at first playing the footsie game because I was trying to force my on shield approaches which Pac-man cannot do. Then I started spacing more, and made it so they were attacking my shield, or expecting me to react and being a step ahead of them and getting them off guard with a well placed orange. Baiting and traps really seem to be where Pac-man is strongest. Once we get in someone's head Pac-man and do so much more to be aggressive.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367

That being said, I'm glad other people are using him. Good luck @ Apex. Oh, and while you're here, I remember seeing you on a stream once fighting somebody as Luigi in Brawl. I think you were on Halberd. You forced an edge slip on them and could've downward angled Ftilt locked him -> up B'd him for the game, but you didn't. I was disappointed.

Edit: http://www.twitch.tv/rushhoursmash/b/617415498?t=3h31m55s ; the match I'm referring to, just in case it's not in the OP. Game 2 in particular showcases it.
Cool video. Thanks for the good find. I'll add it now. :)

EDIT: since this is a video place, here it is in action with the melon during a match, its only 4 seconds long for the impatient people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97ou8AEix-o

and here it is with galaga...I think it works at certain percentages, I wouldn't risk with galaga since...well they're not flying from it haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzzZurGYav8
I'll add these as well. Keep up the good work, dude.

Edit: I decided to make a couple changes to the OT.
  1. The "solo mode" videos are now in the "non-combat" section.
  2. "New videos" are labeled with the character being fought.
  3. Put January into spoilers so the OT may be looking kind of empty.
Don't worry. Everything is still there, it's just time for the monthly cleanup. Just to point it out for you guys... we have over 150 videos in the OT and so far we have 15 videos in our "non-combat" section, which means we have 15 unique videos that are solely designed to educate and inspire on top of the 150 videos of Pac-Man being repped in combat. Keep up the great work guys!

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Cobi's For Glory playthrough with Pac-Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnRfFzKwtwM

He keeps losing consecutively for like the first half and blames Pac for his lossses, and doesn't think the chaaracter is that great. I don't exactly think he knew what he was doing and his opponents didn't seem up to par with their characters either, but I found this rather amusing to watch anyway.

Not sure why I brought this here, I just think he's that funny.

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Cobi's For Glory playthrough with Pac-Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnRfFzKwtwM

He keeps losing consecutively for like the first half and blames Pac for his lossses, and doesn't think the chaaracter is that great. I don't exactly think he knew what he was doing and his opponents didn't seem up to par with their characters either, but I found this rather amusing to watch anyway.

Not sure why I brought this here, I just think he's that funny.
I couldn't finish the video. He was driving me nuts with all that, "Pac-man is horrible" talk. He clearly just doesn't know how to play Pac-man. I think we all know that he's a totally viable character choice. There just aren't many people that know how to play him in competitive matchups. This dude was really bad and blamed Pac-man while still demolishing other people. Doesn't that say a lot about how GOOD he is?

BSP

Smash Legend
http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/619084191

Until youtube happens, Dabuz vs Abadango is at 9:27:47 here. I'm watching it for the first time now.

I'm not as good as Abadango, but if I were him, I would've put more trampolines at neutral and charged up to keys with the intention of sniping Rosalina for any mistake. At the least, you're forcing Rosalina to jump at you, and if she Luma shots, you separate them with the hydrant. Abadango could've clutched those last two games out for sure.

I think that even from 0%, if Rosalina isn't coming to you, don't go to her. She can't apply any good pressure from long range. If she's going to camp us hard, we can do the same thing to her. I wouldn't be chucking much besides Keys and Bells because GP lets her steal our stuff pretty easily.

Didn't like the lylat CP. I think platforms that are close like BFs hurt Pac-Man more than help, but maybe it's just me.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/619084191

Until youtube happens, Dabuz vs Abadango is at 9:27:47 here. I'm watching it for the first time now.

I'm not as good as Abadango, but if I were him, I would've put more trampolines at neutral and charged up to keys with the intention of sniping Rosalina for any mistake. At the least, you're forcing Rosalina to jump at you, and if she Luma shots, you separate them with the hydrant. Abadango could've clutched those last two games out for sure.

I think that even from 0%, if Rosalina isn't coming to you, don't go to her. She can't apply any good pressure from long range. If she's going to camp us hard, we can do the same thing to her. I wouldn't be chucking much besides Keys and Bells because GP lets her steal our stuff pretty easily.

Didn't like the lylat CP. I think platforms that are close like BFs hurt Pac-Man more than hurt, but maybe it's just me.
Personally I love Lylat for Pac.

The slopes allow us to instant grab galaga/orange/strawberry/cherry/melon, creates interesting bounces for Apple and Orange (At certain angles), gives some very unique Hydrant bounces, part of the stage can make you momentarily airborne at certain moments which allows you to cancel moves (I need to learn the exact timing) and Bell slides down slopes.

It also hurts Rosa's recovery and most other players hate it on principle.

EDIT:

By the way Abadango's set with Ninjalink was awesome too.

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Personally I love Lylat for Pac.

The slopes allow us to instant grab galaga/orange/strawberry/cherry/melon, creates interesting bounces for Apple and Orange (At certain angles), gives some very unique Hydrant bounces, part of the stage can make you momentarily airborne at certain moments which allows you to cancel moves (I need to learn the exact timing) and Bell slides down slopes.

It also hurts Rosa's recovery and most other players hate it on principle.

EDIT:

By the way Abadango's set with Ninjalink was awesome too.
While I agree I like Lylat for Pac, I don't think it was a smart move against Rosalina. I personally like FD, Smashville and Castle Siege for the MU.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Spooky is uploading Apex footage now. Sadly I can't post links as I don't have 10 posts. -_-

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I have the match between
Kool Aid :4pacman:and
Mr.ConCon:4luigi:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=71hBXt9DmAA

That's what I'm talking about. We really shouldn't conform to one strategy. Kool aid demonstrates that it is perfectly fine to be aggresive with pacman (using smashes isn't going to get us punished every time we throw them out. It's not like we have the range of Kirby)
while Abadango shows us his strong zoning side.
Utilizing both styles in the right situations is the way to go. Let's not tunnel vision Abadango's top 8 performance. We really shouldn't tie ourselves down to one playstyle just because someone reached top 8 with that particular style.

Last edited:

GravyJigster

Smash Rookie
I'm very new to pac, but after watching abadango, I'm very concerned about him. If that's how the character plays best, then the character is not worth playing imo. Please say there are some non-campy pac's?

Goggalor

Smash Cadet
Pac-Man can play in a bunch of different play-styles based on how you play. I'm pretty campy and zone-y player myself, so I play similar to Abadango, but if you watch the Kool-Aid vs Mr. ConCon game, which is linked right above your post, you'll see a far mroe aggressive Pac-Man play style.

It's still good to learn how to play Pac in all these different play styles though, since being able to switch up how you play mid-game is one thing that keeps Pac-Man going strong.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I'm very new to pac, but after watching abadango, I'm very concerned about him. If that's how the character plays best, then the character is not worth playing imo. Please say there are some non-campy pac's?
He essentially has 3 types of weapons and none of them are a part of his character so he is sort of limited if you don't use those weapons to the best of your ability. I'm not saying that camping is the only way but it is probably the most reliable way to play Pac-Man. I tend to be pretty aggressive mainly because I get bored if the opponent actually sits back and just tries to avoid the camping and spamming. I do feel pretty confident in saying that if you are already having those kinds of doubts about him you might just want to look elsewhere though. There are 50 other characters to choose from so I'm sure you'll find one that suits you even better. Maybe keep Pac-Man in mind as a secondary or something though. ;)

Edit: Awesome profile pic btw. Asterix is one of my favorite comic strips.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Last edited:

PacDaddy

Smash Rookie
That Abadango vs DKWill game was ridiculous, he made Will look like a scrub. Granted, I think that's a good mu for us and Will obviously hasn't played against much pacman... but that was a massacre lol. Highlight of the match was at 4 27 when abadango goes absolutely ham with the key z-drop on battlefield.

Edit: Koolaid vs Choco top 32 match https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFP669PFNjA

Also Koolaid has a 14 game win streak on Smash Steve's Game of Thrones stream LOL. What a beast.

http://www.twitch.tv/smashsteve

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Here's a nice simple and clean Introductory/Intermediate Guide to Pac-Man. There is some profanity in the video, so if you're sensitive to that sort of thing I apologize in advance. Hopefully you can either brush it off or find a good guide somewhere else if needed. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RICRjbY3vLY

BSP

Smash Legend
Got two more videos here of a customs tournament that I entered.

I went 1122 for this match https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9le6F_RNe0I against a Villager

and 1112 for this match against C.Fal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQaqIq3l1Hg
I can do more in depth later, but against Falcon, keep throwing down hydrants, especially if you've got On Fire Hydrant. You'll notice that once the Falcon got burned a few times, every single time you threw OFH down, he smashed it away...which is a free punish for you.

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
I can do more in depth later, but against Falcon, keep throwing down hydrants, especially if you've got On Fire Hydrant. You'll notice that once the Falcon got burned a few times, every single time you threw OFH down, he smashed it away...which is a free punish for you. He also has to deal with them because if he doesn't, you can (haven't tested myself, but if the fire can hurt Pac-Man, IDK why this wouldn't work) heal yourself by side B'ing your fire streams from your hydrant.
More in depth would be great thanks :)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So do you guys know what we can do with glide tossing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3_vOtY5kCc Heres a video explaining it, its mostly something for megaman but the other characters that can spawn items can do it as well so I'm curious what you all know about it.
Yes we can do it and I actually find it very useful for some setups after Z dropping onto a hydrant.
For example Melon Zdropped on hydrant, Fair regrab, glide toss melon allows you to follow the hydrant and melon for whatever you want (Melon covers rolls through the hydrant, so throwing a grab in between the projectiles is safe and very difficult to avoid).

Also someone recently asked for videos of my Kirby/Pacman team in action. Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMdwNx6LkCU3Fj9OUpFFNrx6K45s0xIDg

BSP

Smash Legend
From the tournament yesterday (LSU smash is great at uploading quickly):

BSP (Pac-Man) vs Jonathan (Villager / Luigi): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOjavGWLyp0&list=PLztdJXWbPJJDjIjRZgWQS5Is7wf1DTLdW&index=25

BSP (Pac-Man) vs Astro! (Luigi / Captain Falcon): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulK7RPIeC7w&list=PLztdJXWbPJJDjIjRZgWQS5Is7wf1DTLdW&index=24

BSP (Pac-Man) vs BrawlerG31 (Little Mac / Mega Man): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HYFf-0c1fA&list=PLztdJXWbPJJDjIjRZgWQS5Is7wf1DTLdW&index=47

I tried to style too hard when I landed bells, I know. Advice appreciated as usual.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
From the tournament yesterday (LSU smash is great at uploading quickly):

BSP (Pac-Man) vs Jonathan (Villager / Luigi): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOjavGWLyp0&list=PLztdJXWbPJJDjIjRZgWQS5Is7wf1DTLdW&index=25

BSP (Pac-Man) vs Astro! (Luigi / Captain Falcon): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulK7RPIeC7w&list=PLztdJXWbPJJDjIjRZgWQS5Is7wf1DTLdW&index=24

BSP (Pac-Man) vs BrawlerG31 (Little Mac / Mega Man): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HYFf-0c1fA&list=PLztdJXWbPJJDjIjRZgWQS5Is7wf1DTLdW&index=47

I tried to style too hard when I landed bells, I know. Advice appreciated as usual.
Watched the match with Jonathan and TBH it's hard to give you advice when you dominated him so hard XD

I liked that thing you did with the galaga ship during the transition to the statue part of Castle Seige. I'm going to steal that and see if I can't make it work with the melon to give some ridiculous stage control going into that part of the stage.

One thing I would like to see a bit more would be regrabbing fruits for setups, but then again that may just be because I use that a lot in my playstyle (Maybe even too much TBH).

That said ugh... Those commentators had no idea what they were talking about.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Been abandoning For Glory and I now play on SmashLadder.com instead. I feel like I've been playing a little sloppier than usual lately, and I'd like some advice again. Got 1 win and 1 loss for each set of matches.

vs :4ganondorf: and :4wario2:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATyWpLLUeKk

vs :4myfriends: and :4ness:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_PaL2hRUBE

Need all the help I can get, so whatever advice or criticism you got, plz lay it on me. These videos almost took a whole day to upload (yesterday I did so at 5:00 P.M. and it just came on the internet a few min ago from now), hilariously enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom