• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

Watty

Smash Lord
i just got 3rd at my last tune up tourney. so im playing pretty solid lots of improvement neeeded before pound 3 but the style was tehre just waiting on the vids to see what i need to adjust

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord

there are 4 pounds in an ec tourney

also someone please critique my vids lol ANYONE
i guess i asked wrong the first time
even a pat on the back is nice, y'know? sniff

Tyserification

Smash Lord
I watched a little of the first game, Ruiner. I like your conservative playstyle. It reminds me of HugS.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
haha cool thanks

i guess you could say that's sorta what i'm going for, but my real goal is simply to play efficiently and to exploit her potential

also to beat everyone

i got some really **** advice the other day so I will be practicing really/mad/hella hard

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Can anybody help me with the falco matchup? Or is it just shiz...how do i get around lasers?

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
even though I'm not good enough...

i think part of it is shiz, and part of it is falco

i mean, you did pretty good against him

i honestly don't know what to tell you aside from that lol

it looks like you missed some up-bs on him though so i guess........work on that - timing?? hahaha

Watty

Smash Lord
ESAM its really weird match. like ill tkae 90% and only dish 20% and feel as if we went even. when u get ahold of falco u make it count. lasers r ur friend though. u get the timing down enough and u can trade missile for laser. now they have to jump shield reflect. than u get near enough to them. pillar up b. copy paste repeat. u frustrate them with the lasers by trading missiles so they come in once there in u own em. dont care how technical samus up b beats any1 thing they can do. and when there off the stage, for the love of god finish em.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Sorry I'm a bit busy if you can't tell by my sporadic log-ins. I'm not sure if I'll get around to it in the next few days, but I'll make sure to watch it before next week.

Ok?

Edit, I watched it.

Do I have to critique it?

Euclid

Smash Journeyman
I like how in the first post, the only people left from the "Amazing Team" is only me (Tyser) and coreygames -_-

DOTA_owns_all

Smash Rookie
My Samus

Hey,

Most call me Dota, since I play too much Dota. However I play smash too and main samus.

Here are videos of my samus style and playing under tournament settings.

First Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KhvlVCZw1o

I heard Obey was one of the best in Fresno, Ca but this was my first match up against him. This is how I usually play, and seemingly some pros might find this video funny. Please critique. Thanks.

Second Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m0dLQXMz4c

In this video, I really do not know why I lost to shiek. It seemed I had it in the first half of the first game. Need some tips vs shiek. Also I did not counter-pick yoshi story for his marth, it was for his shiek. However, I still need some tips on counterpick stages. I am still reading threads and posts on tips but I would appreciate some specific advice for my playing style.

Other things:
I cannot really short-hop masterfully with samus still. Cannot jump and double missle. I cannot SWD on command either. I do not really UB Oos, wave land as much as I should, and edge hog as much.

Thanks

-Dota

Tyserification

Smash Lord
The main thing I noticed is that you make your intentions blatantly obvious. You could start trying to adopt "mindgames."

Alukard

Smash Hero
god i love samus ... but i can't deal with really good sheiks .... or at least sheiks that are good at the match ups .... same for captain falcons that know wat to do ... we really need to get on that peeps =]

Tyserification

Smash Lord
god i love samus ... but i can't deal with really good sheiks .... or at least sheiks that are good at the match ups .... same for captain falcons that know wat to do ... we really need to get on that peeps =]
I agree with this statement.

Pi

Smash Hero
Well not much but;
Missiles, more of em lol, standing ones work against marth if he's staying grounded, juss throw them out now and again if you're not gonna approach to keep him guessing. And when they're off the stage, put out as many as you're comfortable while still maintaining alternate edgeugarding options.

Also don't forget about UB OoS! I saw you use it more on FD than Dreamland, which is odd to me lol
You had real nice Ftilts, you know the spacing for that matchup (jealous).

Try to prioritize Dtilt > jab, I saw you jabbing a lot which is fine really, but if you can get those Dtilts in to rack up more damage (cfalc and marth)

Also when you are pressuring a shield and you are within grab range, get out of there (I think I only saw this once in the matches but mentioning it any way). Wavedash back into a Ftilt, also be aware that you can be punished for Dtilting out of shields, you were not getting punished in these matchups, but my friend often knee's me if I dtilt his shield, so juss keep that in mind, might wanna get into the habit of Ftilting or something.

Also, idk if you watched the HugS v. SS matches, but I really liked his style of edgeguarding Cfalc. Whenever Cfalc would UB on to the stage, he would get close to him, and wait for him to land, and put himself with his back facing outward. This way if Cfalc lands in front of him, a downsmash will send him back off the stage, and if the Cfalc is happening to be DI'ing into the stage, it leads into a Bair. If he lands behind him, a simple Fsmash will put him back off the stage as well.

With marth, if he's staying grounded really work those Ftilts (which you were doing some times, but not always), I always found it odd though, marth has a 'better' ftilt but yet they always seem to be bothered by them, even my Doc can get away with waveadash -> ftilt.

Above all, do what works, if you can get away with it, it works. The second it STOPS working though, change it up. If you want to really hone your playstyle, look through the match and find out when you got hit, and why, and try to find ways around that.

Pi

Smash Hero
Really recent vids of me at Redemption (some local monthly):

Tyser (Samus) vs. JBM (Marth):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOff8bufa-0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgjf6Q2WIOY

Any input at all is helpful. I wanna get good.
I like your grab game lol, sept your followups were not so good, you can dash attack/ftilt/uptilt marth out of a grab, I know for sure, so juss prepare for his DI and try to read it instead of predicting and missing. I'm thinking you might be able to get an up angled Fsmash off as well if he's low % and his di is poor, but I'm not sure.

I would suggest that if you are not approaching, try to get projectiles out there, standing missiles, homing or power, uncharged shot, something to make it so he can't dash dance freely. If you face a marth who knows the matchup, getting onto a platform to missile cancel when he's on the stage with you doesn't work all that well. What you can do is waveland off the platform in whatever direction into something, because marths tend to orgasm when they see someone on a platform and run toward you. I would take a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEO8oGlgZgs to see his work with platforms.

You're recovery was good, he wasn't chasing you out there and you were getting the edge. What I saw him doing though was juss waiting for you, what you can do to bother him is throw out uncharged shot regrabs to make him shield/attack/approach, do something.

When he is off the edge, get those missiles out there every time, but the second he goes below your missile range, prepare for something else. Also make it a point to know if he has a jump or not. Also I liked that wavedash nair that you caught him with lol. Generally I will go out there and nair him, or drop a bomb for him to UB into, then space myself for a Utilt/Ftilt after it hits.

Also, if you ever do want to approach, go for Ftilts at lower %'s, then you can try jabbing at higher ones cause there will be more hitstun/pop up to land the dtilt/dsmash. Juss keep in mind that marth can out space you, so if you ever start having troubles gettin in to hit him, try to juss mess up his spacing and punish him for it. What I mean by that is wavedash/walk/run whatever it takes to make him hit your shield in UB range. And if he ever Fsmashes (your shield) and it doesn't tipper, get that Dtilt/smash off.

Tyserification

Smash Lord
Thanks for the tips. I dont like the wavelanding crap that IHSB does. It works for him but I dont like it. It makes me feel hella vulnerable and almost never works for me. He's also a super duper aggressive Samus which is why the platforms probably work for him so well.

Rat

Smash Lord
Let me try this critiquing things. I'll try to be helpful!

Clearly your grab game is bonkers. I looks like you absolutely love hitting with the grab. Most of your set-ups are really good. The one I'm specifically going to steal is spot dodge -> cross-up grab.

There are three areas you need to improve on.
#1) Your Marth Game
It doesn't seem like you have a plan for fighting marth. Work on that match-up. Stuff like: When to shield, where to be, what moves to watch for, how to hit him. If you want more specific stuff (aka my strategies) I can post that.

#2) Move choice.
You have good set-ups and movement, but it seems as if your not thinking about the risk/reward of your move. For example: Sometimes you would Fsmash his shield then get *****. The getting ***** in lag is not really the problem. And anyways Fsmashing is a good move. The problem was that Marth was at a lower percentage.
If the Fsmash hit, Marth would have been at say 55%, and you would have gotten a bad-tech chase. When if you Dtilted or Ftilted you would have reduced your risk, while having roughly the same reward (if not better with Dtilt). Another example would be like you continue your grab game even when landing the dthrow combo was difficult or impossible.

Reassess what moves your doing, at what percentages to maximize profits!

#3) Nerves
You seemed nervous as hell. You would waste your DJs. You committed very early to some actions. (Though Being on battlefield seemed to help you regain confidence.)

When you were in control and in the flow, were really really good. Your jab...wait..fake-out...wait...wdin...jab... pivot grab stuff is awesome.

Good **** tyser

Tyserification

Smash Lord
#1) Your Marth Game
It doesn't seem like you have a plan for fighting marth. Work on that match-up. Stuff like: When to shield, where to be, what moves to watch for, how to hit him. If you want more specific stuff (aka my strategies) I can post that.
Please do.

My only advice is to use YOKO instead of NIA as your tag.
I love little girls more than life itself...

♥ Little Nia, I hate Big Nia.

your samus is really cool
Thanks. If I had played someone who wasnt JBM you guys mighta been able to see some ridiculousness ensue. I was bringing the hammer down at this tournament, "combo-wise."

Tyserification

Smash Lord
@ "Little girl remark" - You heard me right. I love em... Just my thing, ya know?

@ Pivots - I dunno what youre asking. I just do pivot grabs by tapping over and then hitting the other direction and Z really fast. I didnt even realize I was pivot grabbing until Rat pointed it out and I rewatched vids.

@ Everyone who helped - Thanks for your input fellas. I hadnt posted vids in a long time so getting some rough idea of what I need to work on helps a lot.

Tyserification

Smash Lord
Whose Rin?

My fav female chars are Taiga from Toradora and Nia from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann so yeah :p

Tyserification

Smash Lord
Hey man, you guys gotta quit laughing at my taste in girls. That aint cool.

I mean, Im going out with a 14 year old right now and I get enough crap from my buddies about it. Yes, Im 20.
jk
@ IHSB - That's a bit too young. She looks like a little baby.

Im not a pedophile fellas. STOP IT!

Alukard

Smash Hero
yoooo i saw that anime with my gf ... we were just like O_o'

we couldn't stop watching tho ... LOLOL i'm not gonna lie we were like waiting to see if that teacher would either tell someone or get ****ing BJ from one of those lil ho's already lmfao

Rat

Smash Lord
Top Bottom