• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress Video Arkive & Critique Thread ~Updating in progress 45 chars done~

ama99

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry I can claim whatever I want about my high tier character..

You howver can claiming he is low tier to

1 make yourself feel better
2 have something to blame on
3 demotivate yourself
4 limit yourself
5 not win

It's your opinion, I ain't got nothing against it. Stop hating
These reasons are awful, the reason I claim that he is low tier is because he is clearly not very good.

Not trying to ignite any fires right here, trying to keep things friendly.

But if you do claim that he is a high tier character? Why is it that Link has such few results in tourneys?

Last edited:

Izaw

Smash Ace
Bad players.
Too focused on that Link has a hard time in this game, noone really knows how to play him AS a hightier, I freaking win against people like Ixis (EU best Sonic) .. While I loose with Sheik, and my Sheik stands up to Mr.R's...

Link isn't bad, who the hell told you that? Some scrub who doesn't really know anything? The forums? Why are you listening to people who say he is bad ? He isn't "clearly" not very good.
For me he is "clearly" really good. Why did Peach not do well in tourneys EVER, and then now Peach is dominating in the Melee scene? Well, bad players, playing Peach in the wrong way and believing she isn't that good. I believe and KNOW he is a high tier, one of the best in the game. And I stand by it, and everyone that I play against, stand behind me.

Last edited:

ama99

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
Bad players.
Too focused on that Link has a hard time in this game, noone really knows how to play him AS a hightier, I freaking win against people like Ixis (EU best Sonic) .. While I loose with Sheik, and my Sheik stands up to Mr.R's...

Link isn't bad, who the hell told you that? Some scrub who doesn't really know anything? The forums? Why are you listening to people who say he is bad ? He isn't "clearly" not very good.
For me he is "clearly" really good. Why did Peach not do well in tourneys EVER, and then now Peach is dominating in the Melee scene? Well, bad players, playing Peach in the wrong way and believing she isn't that good. I believe and KNOW he is a high tier, one of the best in the game. And I stand by it, and everyone that I play against, stand behind me.
I'm sure all high tier characters are autocomboed by pretty much the entire cast. You definitely back up your claims with some pretty irrefutable info! I'll have to agree with you @ Izaw Izaw the makers of makers and messiah of our time. How can I disagree with a true generational player like you? Since you are the best Link in the world and have placed high at every single tourney ever. Can't wait to see you 2-stock Zero with your high tier character at Evo!

Although, you probably don't care about the opinion of bad players like Kirinblaze and Scizor but it's ok your the best player in the world!

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Oh, I wish flying to EVO was feasible for most Europeans >.> Can't afford it.

Last edited:

Izaw

Smash Ace
Well now you are kind of just being salty. You know I'm right, you just can't let go of the ego and illusion of that Link sucks. I'm fine with that, I'm used to it. And hey, pay me a ticket to the US, I'll play in any tournament you want me to play. I don't have money to fly to the US. I struggle for money, so I work a lot. I don't live in the US. Professional players come to my house after I've meet them at a tourney. And for a reason.

ama99

Smash Journeyman
Well now you are kind of just being salty. You know I'm right, you just can't let go of the ego and illusion of that Link sucks. I'm fine with that, I'm used to it. And hey, pay me a ticket to the US, I'll play in any tournament you want me to play. I don't have money to fly to the US. I struggle for money, so I work a lot. I don't live in the US. Professional players come to my house after I've meet them at a tourney. And for a reason.
Think what you wanna think buddy.

Link is bad, I don't think that's gonna change, at least not for me. But if you can prove me wrong by consistently beating players like Ixis (not Haze), and going to the tourneys that you can go to. By all means go ahead. I WANT to be proven wrong in this matter.

Last edited:

Hyrule Hero

Smash Rookie
So much unnecessary hate going on right now...

and just to give my opinion, Link is not a bad character in this game. I believe he is strong. Not top tier but I've never cared about tier lists anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're all derailing a stickied thread. Cease your ****.

If you want to continue to berate one another, head to the social. I'll gladly contribute my opinions there. In fact I think it would be a riot.

However; Our ways work, but they work because we trim the useless content and don't **** up the good content. Don't make Uncle Shin get the paddle.

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
Warning Received
What is your FG rating? Judging from your vid you must win a lot.

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
Here are some Wi-Fi friendlies I had against a local King Dedede shortly after the last patch.

Nimious :4link: vs. Xakym:4dedede: Game 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdfn4O0OJZM
Nimious :4link: vs. Xakym:4dedede: Game 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLwGgG_Vthc

I play a pretty Bombslide and projectile heavy style. I honestly think that's the ideal way for Links to play in this game.

First match with Link is how I typically play against King Dedede. Weave in and out with projectiles and get him to approach.
Second match admittedly I wasn't as focused and fooled around a bit.

There's some takeaways for the match-up here.
- Fast Fall Nair on the back of King Dedede's shield is really safe and generally safe against other characters.
- I think there's a chain grab window at low percentages
- You really need to watch King Dedede as there's a lot of windows to capitalize on. Whether it's Bombsliding under Gordos or taking advantage of his long start-ups on his moves you need to be focused.

I've done some critiques so I hope get some criticism and advice in response :).

FSK

Smash Ace
While you are here though, please consider this:

Changed the title, hopefully that stuff will go away.

Upon doing this I also discovered that Izaw's vid Art of Link 2 is wrong when it comes to releasing the tether. It has nothing to do with rotating the control stick quickly. In smash 4 and the games in general you cannot fast fall if you have and upwards momentum. To not fast fall when releasing for the tether you need to press down when Link is moving upwards in the swing. You don't even have to rotate the control stick to any direction you can press down and hold it there if you like. As long as you do it in the part of the swing when Link has upward momentum you will not fast fall.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Hi link forum. Decently long time lurking, first time posting. Been playing link like crazy especially since 1.0.8. Just got back from a practice session at Solreth's place. Here are a few highlights that I remembered to save. Critique would be much appreciated.

7:4link: vs Jeeves:4shulk: (1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNtnEmLQLuI

7:4link: vs Jeeves:4shulk: (2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLThHy7dg9k
Since you were winning generously it's hard to give much focused critique, but I will tell you this about Castle Siege: it transitions every 40 seconds, not counting the transition itself. Thus the first transition here was at 5:20, the second at 4:34. If you keep a reasonable count of that, you can take major advantage of it. You can literally just jump off-stage, recovery be damned, to avoid a confrontational situation, and you can kill extremely early in the transition phase itself.
Here are some Wi-Fi friendlies I had against a local King Dedede shortly after the last patch.

Nimious :4link: vs. Xakym:4dedede: Game 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdfn4O0OJZM
Nimious :4link: vs. Xakym:4dedede: Game 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLwGgG_Vthc

I play a pretty Bombslide and projectile heavy style. I honestly think that's the ideal way for Links to play in this game.

First match with Link is how I typically play against King Dedede. Weave in and out with projectiles and get him to approach.
Second match admittedly I wasn't as focused and fooled around a bit.

There's some takeaways for the match-up here.
- Fast Fall Nair on the back of King Dedede's shield is really safe and generally safe against other characters.
- I think there's a chain grab window at low percentages
- You really need to watch King Dedede as there's a lot of windows to capitalize on. Whether it's Bombsliding under Gordos or taking advantage of his long start-ups on his moves you need to be focused.

I've done some critiques so I hope get some criticism and advice in response :).
Noticeable is that you actually miss most of your bombslide follow-ups: they often disadvantage you when the bomb actually hits. See game 1:
At 1:41 you bombslide, Nair misses, you jab into shield and are grabbed. At those low percentage the knockback is too little to get aerials off from bomb hits.
At 1:55 you follow up with a shielded Nair and are again shieldgrabbed.
At 3:12 the percent is too high for the full hop Nair to hit, and you get Naired by D3 on the way down.

It's why I like doing the reverse fake-out -- I follow up with Bair not Fair/Nair -- Bair being safer on shield and most notably you can double jump after doing SH Bair.

You seem to automatically Nair after bombslides and to Nair way too much in general, see in game 2, at 1:17 you land behind him with Nair, but then you immediately SH Nair again, are grabbed and thrown, then Nair again on landing only to be shieldgrabbed again.

Also there's yet more Rosalina footage:

Hyrule Hero:4link: vs GameProdigy:rosalina:
1 July 2015 Tournament
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zLpbKcnj4c

A new Scizor game (can't we ever catch a break and get a set of him winning?)

Scizor:4link:/:4greninja: vs SlayerZ:4peach:
28 June 2015 Tournament
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byHUSJ2wEoI

Last edited:

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Think what you wanna think buddy.

Link is bad, I don't think that's gonna change, at least not for me. But if you can prove me wrong by consistently beating players like Ixis (not Haze), and going to the tourneys that you can go to. By all means go ahead. I WANT to be proven wrong in this matter.
what the hell? Link isn't bad.

plus have you know respect? this is IZAW you are talking to. @ Izaw Izaw please forgive my friend for his rudeness, he won't do it again, just please have mercy.

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
Since you were winning generously it's hard to give much focused critique, but I will tell you this about Castle Siege: it transitions every 40 seconds, not counting the transition itself. Thus the first transition here was at 5:20, the second at 4:34. If you keep a reasonable count of that, you can take major advantage of it. You can literally just jump off-stage, recovery be damned, to avoid a confrontational situation, and you can kill extremely early in the transition phase itself.

Noticeable is that you actually miss most of your bombslide follow-ups: they often disadvantage you when the bomb actually hits. See game 1:
At 1:41 you bombslide, Nair misses, you jab into shield and are grabbed. At those low percentage the knockback is too little to get aerials off from bomb hits.
At 1:55 you follow up with a shielded Nair and are again shieldgrabbed.
At 3:12 the percent is too high for the full hop Nair to hit, and you get Naired by D3 on the way down.

It's why I like doing the reverse fake-out -- I follow up with Bair not Fair/Nair -- Bair being safer on shield and most notably you can double jump after doing SH Bair.

You seem to automatically Nair after bombslides and to Nair way too much in general, see in game 2, at 1:17 you land behind him with Nair, but then you immediately SH Nair again, are grabbed and thrown, then Nair again on landing only to be shieldgrabbed again.

Also there's yet more Rosalina footage:

Hyrule Hero:4link: vs GameProdigy:rosalina:
1 July 2015 Tournament
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zLpbKcnj4c

A new Scizor game (can't we ever catch a break and get a set of him winning?)

Scizor:4link:/:4greninja: vs SlayerZ:4peach:
28 June 2015 Tournament
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byHUSJ2wEoI
Thanks for the feedback :). Nair is too good so I can't resist using it.

Usually I know I am using Nair right into their shield but I try and hit the back portion of it to avoid a punish and to bait them to shield drop. However this is a always a judgment call on whether I can make the Nair hit the back of their shield, space a Fair on the front of it or back off.

In other cases cases like at 3:12 I missed the fast-fall that would allow the Nair to truly be useful as it'd cover DeDeDe's own fast-fall while if he doesn't pick that option I'd be right below him at an advantageous position to finish the stock. Fair would have been the proper option but I wasn't sure if it was going to connect.

As for the SH Nair that isn't meant to combo, I usually try and do it retreating to catch rolls and avoid punishes. I flubbed it in game two.

The follow-ups off Bombslide in this case is off the expectation that it'll be shielded which is why I try Bombslide into buffered pivot F-tilt and pick Nair so often when it does hit. So at 1:41 I didn't think it would hit but when it did I went for the Nair anyways. At 1:55 I again expected it to be shielded so I tried going over him but changed my mind when it hit. The correct option after connection at those ranges would have been Zair. In any case I didn't get many Bombslide connections in these games as we've played each other quite a bit.

However you're right in that I should keep in mind the follow-ups instead of assuming it won't connect so often.

Reverse fake-out is pretty ideal and the dream is to get the Bombslide connection into Bair to true combo into another Bair or spin attack. That's something I still need to learn :).

Edit: I forgot to critique your Bowser Jr. match LOL. I'll be sure to do it haha.

Here are more video from Smash LL #4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR_fRGyuk6Y
Requiem(Link) vs Skorpio(Robin)
First time I played against a good Robin. Lost this match so your inputs would be very much appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdbBp8hJZnI
Requiem(Link,Samus) vs SpinNR(Sonic)

Lost this match too.
Your match against Robin had me shaking my head. At times you were too respectful at others you weren't enough. 5:18 had me cracking up. You shielded because the Levin sword expired and fell on top of you when it wouldn't have hurt you.

So your match-up inexperience really shows. Best advice is to practice against more Robins and if you don't know any you can ask around on the Smashboards or Smash Ladder.

I noticed some things, in particular you lost your composure as the match went on. You made too many mistakes that beginner Links do when you're clearly better than that. I think you know those simple mistakes so I won't bother listing them.

Just try and stay calm and focused throughout the match. Keep in mind your spacing so at moments like 2:41 you could space a FF Fair instead of backing off. Keep in mind your opponent's options so at 3:17 when your arrow connected with Robin you should have went down with a Nair or jumped over with a Dair to try and end his stock instead of the boomerang. Worst of all don't auto-pilot and find yourself Bombsliding into an Elfire or firing a boomerang into one. That doesn't help you.

5:08 and onward was just a symphony of errors.

You ran into far too many Elfires. You need to keep in mind dash shielding when you're in Robin's Elfire range. Robin is slow so if you find Elfire connecting it's unlikely he can get in for a grab. Elfire is also pretty slow and pronounced so don't feel the need to preemptively shield. Also keep in mind your shield's strength and the contact point of Elfire. If your shield is getting weak angle it; for example up if Elfire is on the top portion of it.

As for tips:
1. Play lighter. If you notice your projectiles not working use them less. Link is always vulnerable when he's outputting projectiles. Charging arrows usually leads to nothing but vulnerability.
2. If you find Robin in the air (and you're not below) do not challenge him with a Nair or a projectile (in most cases anyways) but rely on your Zair and Fair.
3. Robin's grab combos are really only truly effective up until 40%. Past that point do not be afraid to be grabbed. Notice how your opponent doesn't even bother with grabs most of the time and when he does get it, it's usually for positional advantage 3:45. Since that's the case don't be afraid to roll into him or hit him on shield. Your punishment is minimal.
4. If you notice your opponent reacting correctly to Jab 2 Cancels don't auto-pilot into smashes and grabs instead follow him with Fair and Zair if he jumps for example.
5. You conditioned your opponent to shield, and shield a lot so try for more grabs. Things like Forward Bombslide into grab work well in these situations. Also learn what works out of down-throw on Robin at what percentages (again practice against Robins). You could have Up-tilted him a lot more.

Last edited:

ama99

Smash Journeyman
what the hell? Link isn't bad.

plus have you know respect? this is IZAW you are talking to. @ Izaw Izaw please forgive my friend for his rudeness, he won't do it again, just please have mercy.
I think this may be in contention for the worst post of the month!

kxiong92

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kxiong
Thanks for the feedback :). Nair is too good so I can't resist using it.

Usually I know I am using Nair right into their shield but I try and hit the back portion of it to avoid a punish and to bait them to shield drop. However this is a always a judgment call on whether I can make the Nair hit the back of their shield, space a Fair on the front of it or back off.

In other cases cases like at 3:12 I missed the fast-fall that would allow the Nair to truly be useful as it'd cover DeDeDe's own fast-fall while if he doesn't pick that option I'd be right below him at an advantageous position to finish the stock. Fair would have been the proper option but I wasn't sure if it was going to connect.

As for the SH Nair that isn't meant to combo, I usually try and do it retreating to catch rolls and avoid punishes. I flubbed it in game two.

The follow-ups off Bombslide in this case is off the expectation that it'll be shielded which is why I try Bombslide into buffered pivot F-tilt and pick Nair so often when it does hit. So at 1:41 I didn't think it would hit but when it did I went for the Nair anyways. At 1:55 I again expected it to be shielded so I tried going over him but changed my mind when it hit. The correct option after connection at those ranges would have been Zair. In any case I didn't get many Bombslide connections in these games as we've played each other quite a bit.

However you're right in that I should keep in mind the follow-ups instead of assuming it won't connect so often.

Reverse fake-out is pretty ideal and the dream is to get the Bombslide connection into Bair to true combo into another Bair or spin attack. That's something I still need to learn :).

Edit: I forgot to critique your Bowser Jr. match LOL. I'll be sure to do it haha.

Your match against Robin had me shaking my head. At times you were too respectful at others you weren't enough. 5:18 had me cracking up. You shielded because the Levin sword expired and fell on top of you when it wouldn't have hurt you.

So your match-up inexperience really shows. Best advice is to practice against more Robins and if you don't know any you can ask around on the Smashboards or Smash Ladder.

I noticed some things, in particular you lost your composure as the match went on. You made too many mistakes that beginner Links do when you're clearly better than that. I think you know those simple mistakes so I won't bother listing them.

Just try and stay calm and focused throughout the match. Keep in mind your spacing so at moments like 2:41 you could space a FF Fair instead of backing off. Keep in mind your opponent's options so at 3:17 when your arrow connected with Robin you should have went down with a Nair or jumped over with a Dair to try and end his stock instead of the boomerang. Worst of all don't auto-pilot and find yourself Bombsliding into an Elfire or firing a boomerang into one. That doesn't help you.

5:08 and onward was just a symphony of errors.

You ran into far too many Elfires. You need to keep in mind dash shielding when you're in Robin's Elfire range. Robin is slow so if you find Elfire connecting it's unlikely he can get in for a grab. Elfire is also pretty slow and pronounced so don't feel the need to preemptively shield. Also keep in mind your shield's strength and the contact point of Elfire. If your shield is getting weak angle it; for example up if Elfire is on the top portion of it.

As for tips:
1. Play lighter. If you notice your projectiles not working use them less. Link is always vulnerable when he's outputting projectiles. Charging arrows usually leads to nothing but vulnerability.
2. If you find Robin in the air (and you're not below) do not challenge him with a Nair or a projectile (in most cases anyways) but rely on your Zair and Fair.
3. Robin's grab combos are really only truly effective up until 40%. Past that point do not be afraid to be grabbed. Notice how your opponent doesn't even bother with grabs most of the time and when he does get it, it's usually for positional advantage 3:45. Since that's the case don't be afraid to roll into him or hit him on shield. Your punishment is minimal.
4. If you notice your opponent reacting correctly to Jab 2 Cancels don't auto-pilot into smashes and grabs instead follow him with Fair and Zair if he jumps for example.
5. You conditioned your opponent to shield, and shield a lot so try for more grabs. Things like Forward Bombslide into grab work well in these situations. Also learn what works out of down-throw on Robin at what percentages (again practice against Robins). You could have Up-tilted him a lot more.
Thanks for your inputs. He's #9 on anther's ladder. So I wascaught off guard against his Robin. I haven't played that much against Robin. That made it worse for me.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Edit: I forgot to critique your Bowser Jr. match LOL. I'll be sure to do it haha
That's alright, it's rather old now, I played a set on stream that will be uploaded to YT soon enough versus a TL -- I struggle with that MU so I would like input on that later.

Also @ DarkDeity15 DarkDeity15 wanted input, so here it is:

Game 1 (DarkDeity versus Hmmsphil) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ9nD9nknRE
(I assume you're the Dark Link? I doubt it but it's confusing -- points go for you invariably too though.)
You open by Full hop Zairing, presumably to catch his full homp bomb pull or boomerang... and you'd be too late to actually catch it. The Dtilt after is presumably a habit after landing, which is silly because it's punishable, especially in this instance where he was actually behind you.
Then turn you around grab when he's behind you -- which is way too dangerous when you don't predict a shield, after all, the things he could do to avoid that: 1. attack 2. roll away 3. spotdodge 4. jump. If he did any of those options your grab would have missed, and it did. Don't grab too quickly in neutral -- predict a shield or a landing option or a laggy move. You can't just see someone standing there and decide to throw out a grab considering the huge start-up.
Then after he jabs you from a Fair at 0:10 you jump back on the stage immediately, which is one of the most dangerous habits in the game. YES LOL LAGGY WIFI but it's a HABIT which will be as present in serious footage as there. You do it again at 0:16. Then you're surprised to get hit out of it missing a tech after. Again at 1:28 (with an airdodge?).

At 0:14 we see one of your weirdest habits, which is pressing jump twice to waste you double jump all the time. If a Diddy saw that jump and faired you, you'd suddenly be off-stage without double jump. Good luck...!

Why exactly you land right back into him at 0:26 without even doing anything is beyond me. Then at 0:27 Dair loses to almost all Uairs, most notably Links own. You already did one earlier when he Usmashes -- he could see it coming with ease. Then *again* you fastfall right back into him. *Move away*. Then you try to Dair *again*. He just happened to miss you with Uair.
At 0:38 that charged arrow shot when your opponent is off-stage is invariably silly. All they have to do is airdodge on the extended horizontal line from the stage, which is easy. You get them with arrows off-state by them being too slow to respond and being surprised by their trajectory. You won't ever intercept them like that. You're just wasting an opportunity to go off-stage for a gimp (even as a landing punish you'd have only 12 damage and a wasted opportunity, and that frequently whiffs as it does here).
The fatal arrow at 0:42 was silly, he was right in front of you. Arrows are slow, like the boomerang, you usually don't use them that close.
At 1:32 it becomes clear you Usmash too much. It's a fine move but very dangerous. I presume you want to read a roll or a jump in towards you -- could have just waited and utilted.
1:38 Again the Dair landing, how many times before you realize his Uair will beat it easily?
At 1:42 you fail to read that he has the same habit as you -- jumping back into you after you've knocked him away. It's easy to capitalize on -- just holding shield for one.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry6PgVnL3kQ
DarkDeity (Link) vs Jr (Toon Link)
At 0:07 there goes the double jump...
At 0:18 again you jump back in...
0:28 those percents are too early to get full hop Uair.
At 0:35 there goes the double jump again...
At 0:44 you jump back again when hit, right into a bomb...
At 0:48 you jump back again when hit, right into an Usmash...
At 0:50 there again a double jump is wasted.
At 0:59 going for a too daring grab again. Our grab is too slow for dash grab punishes of smashes like that.
What's with the empty-hopping at 1:07 and on? He's right in front of you -- a full hop aerial that isn't Dair and you'd be dead!
At 1:38 another far too dangerous Usmash gets you killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7o5vUZajJ0
DarkDeity (Link) vs Pooh Bear (Pikachu)
At 0:07 double jump right into Pikachu with an attack is about the silliest and most predictable thing you could do to counter that neutral b spamming -- he could shieldgrab you and Dthrow combo you forever, he could Usmash right into you, he could pivot Fsmash in your face.
You do realize at 0:12 if he had actually released that Fsmashed the two would have traded meaning the grab would have broken up?
Why did you jab after the dsmash hit at 0:15?
At 0:16 Pikachu is way too small to hit with SH bair punished, just turn around jab in that situation.
At 0:18 neveeeeeer airdoooodge that waaaay out of Pika's Dthrow. You can see even when he misses the attack you have huge lag. Airdodging in general is the worst option to do out of that kind grab, the same goes for Link's own and Roy's and ZSS' &c.
At 0:20 you again jump right back in after being hit away... Look, that works only when your opponent full hops after you to chase. Dairing like that is a once in a million thing.
You can see your bad grabbing timing and intuition at 0:23.
At 0:25 you miss an opportunity to z drop the bomb right when near the ground.
At 0:27 that boomerang after the bomb throw must be some kind of habit. You didn't capitalize on the bomb hit. Don't let your projectile game become autopiloting.
At 0:34 you go for jab2 dsmash a second time -- it's only reasonable to assume he'll try to shield it next time. It's nowhere near guaranteed and hardly safe.
At 1:00 you land right in front of him with a Nair -- see how dangerous it is just to land / approach carelessly with Nair? Then you just jump right back in as always when hit...
Again the jump inwards at 1:32. I won't stop until you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agvoXiSGLYM
DarkDeity (Link) vs Sacha (Marth)
At 0:32, 3 pummels is way too many at that percent.
At 0:49 you jump right back only to be hit by an Utilt...
At 1:22 you fail to see a punish window because you're too busy with the empty hopping. Empty hopping usually has a purpose: you bait. Wait is there to bait in that situation there? All that could have happened was he'd have turned around and hit you on landing.
At 1:24 you can see it again, and he's done that before. You're busy empty hopping and he just SH aerials right in. The majority of his approaches are with SH / FH Fair / Nair, if anything you want to bait him into coming in with aerials not make yourself vulnerable to those approaches!
At 1:33 you jump right back in. How many times will you do it? Bye-bye double jump, hello Smash in the face.
At 1:41 was a very bad call, because 1. you were too low so every get-up option would have gotten him to a safe place ready to punish you, and 2. he had a lot of invincibility because it was a late percentage (and ledge invincibility increases with percent) so you would not have hit him if he just remained on the ledge longer either.
At 1:44 you jump right back in...
Then you're grabbed and thrown at 1:48 AND IMMEDIATELY DO IT AGAIN.
Then you AGAIN Up b onto the stage unsafely. Wth is up with that Up b after? What was the read, a roll in? That's the only thing you'd convincingly hit, and he has never rolled in. Who rolls in when somebody is there at the ledge in that position?
Then you are grabbed again at 1:55 and immediately jump back again after being thrown my God man.
Then you do it again at 2:10 after being naired...

Number 1 point of critique: stop with the jumping back every time after being thrown or hit away. It is one of the silliest and stupidest and most punishable habits you can have and you do it every time.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
That's alright, it's rather old now, I played a set on stream that will be uploaded to YT soon enough versus a TL -- I struggle with that MU so I would like input on that later.

Also @ DarkDeity15 DarkDeity15 wanted input, so here it is:

Game 1 (DarkDeity versus Hmmsphil) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ9nD9nknRE
(I assume you're the Dark Link? I doubt it but it's confusing -- points go for you invariably too though.)
You open by Full hop Zairing, presumably to catch his full homp bomb pull or boomerang... and you'd be too late to actually catch it. The Dtilt after is presumably a habit after landing, which is silly because it's punishable, especially in this instance where he was actually behind you.
Then turn you around grab when he's behind you -- which is way too dangerous when you don't predict a shield, after all, the things he could do to avoid that: 1. attack 2. roll away 3. spotdodge 4. jump. If he did any of those options your grab would have missed, and it did. Don't grab too quickly in neutral -- predict a shield or a landing option or a laggy move. You can't just see someone standing there and decide to throw out a grab considering the huge start-up.
Then after he jabs you from a Fair at 0:10 you jump back on the stage immediately, which is one of the most dangerous habits in the game. YES LOL LAGGY WIFI but it's a HABIT which will be as present in serious footage as there. You do it again at 0:16. Then you're surprised to get hit out of it missing a tech after. Again at 1:28 (with an airdodge?).

At 0:14 we see one of your weirdest habits, which is pressing jump twice to waste you double jump all the time. If a Diddy saw that jump and faired you, you'd suddenly be off-stage without double jump. Good luck...!

Why exactly you land right back into him at 0:26 without even doing anything is beyond me. Then at 0:27 Dair loses to almost all Uairs, most notably Links own. You already did one earlier when he Usmashes -- he could see it coming with ease. Then *again* you fastfall right back into him. *Move away*. Then you try to Dair *again*. He just happened to miss you with Uair.
At 0:38 that charged arrow shot when your opponent is off-stage is invariably silly. All they have to do is airdodge on the extended horizontal line from the stage, which is easy. You get them with arrows off-state by them being too slow to respond and being surprised by their trajectory. You won't ever intercept them like that. You're just wasting an opportunity to go off-stage for a gimp (even as a landing punish you'd have only 12 damage and a wasted opportunity, and that frequently whiffs as it does here).
The fatal arrow at 0:42 was silly, he was right in front of you. Arrows are slow, like the boomerang, you usually don't use them that close.
At 1:32 it becomes clear you Usmash too much. It's a fine move but very dangerous. I presume you want to read a roll or a jump in towards you -- could have just waited and utilted.
1:38 Again the Dair landing, how many times before you realize his Uair will beat it easily?
At 1:42 you fail to read that he has the same habit as you -- jumping back into you after you've knocked him away. It's easy to capitalize on -- just holding shield for one.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry6PgVnL3kQ
DarkDeity (Link) vs Jr (Toon Link)
At 0:07 there goes the double jump...
At 0:18 again you jump back in...
0:28 those percents are too early to get full hop Uair.
At 0:35 there goes the double jump again...
At 0:44 you jump back again when hit, right into a bomb...
At 0:48 you jump back again when hit, right into an Usmash...
At 0:50 there again a double jump is wasted.
At 0:59 going for a too daring grab again. Our grab is too slow for dash grab punishes of smashes like that.
What's with the empty-hopping at 1:07 and on? He's right in front of you -- a full hop aerial that isn't Dair and you'd be dead!
At 1:38 another far too dangerous Usmash gets you killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7o5vUZajJ0
DarkDeity (Link) vs Pooh Bear (Pikachu)
At 0:07 double jump right into Pikachu with an attack is about the silliest and most predictable thing you could do to counter that neutral b spamming -- he could shieldgrab you and Dthrow combo you forever, he could Usmash right into you, he could pivot Fsmash in your face.
You do realize at 0:12 if he had actually released that Fsmashed the two would have traded meaning the grab would have broken up?
Why did you jab after the dsmash hit at 0:15?
At 0:16 Pikachu is way too small to hit with SH bair punished, just turn around jab in that situation.
At 0:18 neveeeeeer airdoooodge that waaaay out of Pika's Dthrow. You can see even when he misses the attack you have huge lag. Airdodging in general is the worst option to do out of that kind grab, the same goes for Link's own and Roy's and ZSS' &c.
At 0:20 you again jump right back in after being hit away... Look, that works only when your opponent full hops after you to chase. Dairing like that is a once in a million thing.
You can see your bad grabbing timing and intuition at 0:23.
At 0:25 you miss an opportunity to z drop the bomb right when near the ground.
At 0:27 that boomerang after the bomb throw must be some kind of habit. You didn't capitalize on the bomb hit. Don't let your projectile game become autopiloting.
At 0:34 you go for jab2 dsmash a second time -- it's only reasonable to assume he'll try to shield it next time. It's nowhere near guaranteed and hardly safe.
At 1:00 you land right in front of him with a Nair -- see how dangerous it is just to land / approach carelessly with Nair? Then you just jump right back in as always when hit...
Again the jump inwards at 1:32. I won't stop until you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agvoXiSGLYM
DarkDeity (Link) vs Sacha (Marth)
At 0:32, 3 pummels is way too many at that percent.
At 0:49 you jump right back only to be hit by an Utilt...
At 1:22 you fail to see a punish window because you're too busy with the empty hopping. Empty hopping usually has a purpose: you bait. Wait is there to bait in that situation there? All that could have happened was he'd have turned around and hit you on landing.
At 1:24 you can see it again, and he's done that before. You're busy empty hopping and he just SH aerials right in. The majority of his approaches are with SH / FH Fair / Nair, if anything you want to bait him into coming in with aerials not make yourself vulnerable to those approaches!
At 1:33 you jump right back in. How many times will you do it? Bye-bye double jump, hello Smash in the face.
At 1:41 was a very bad call, because 1. you were too low so every get-up option would have gotten him to a safe place ready to punish you, and 2. he had a lot of invincibility because it was a late percentage (and ledge invincibility increases with percent) so you would not have hit him if he just remained on the ledge longer either.
At 1:44 you jump right back in...
Then you're grabbed and thrown at 1:48 AND IMMEDIATELY DO IT AGAIN.
Then you AGAIN Up b onto the stage unsafely. Wth is up with that Up b after? What was the read, a roll in? That's the only thing you'd convincingly hit, and he has never rolled in. Who rolls in when somebody is there at the ledge in that position?
Then you are grabbed again at 1:55 and immediately jump back again after being thrown my God man.
Then you do it again at 2:10 after being naired...

Number 1 point of critique: stop with the jumping back every time after being thrown or hit away. It is one of the silliest and stupidest and most punishable habits you can have and you do it every time.
Thank you very much for this. I've been waiting for someone to tell me what I've been doing wrong this whole time. Now I know. I'll think back to this whenever I'm having trouble, though some of these are just input errors lol. Wait. I'm red Link on the first one.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Thank you very much for this. I've been waiting for someone to tell me what I've been doing wrong this whole time. Now I know. I'll think back to this whenever I'm having trouble, though some of these are just input errors lol. Wait. I'm red Link on the first one.
Yes I thought so, I'll edit it out some time.
Here are more video from Smash LL #4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR_fRGyuk6Y
Requiem(Link) vs Skorpio(Robin)
First time I played against a good Robin. Lost this match so your inputs would be very much appreciated.
When FSK lost horribly to a Robin some Robins came over to help, their posts may help you too:
Hello, a Robin main here. @ Dumbfire Dumbfire extended an invitation to us on the Robin boards to take a look at your matches so I hope you don't mind some feedback from an outsider like me.

Anyways, thanks for the matches. Your Link was fun to watch and I can sense your passion in your character as you were playing. Having said that, 6 things.

1) You went WAYYY too ham and aggressive. Although it may seem like you were trying to lay pressure on your opponent by littering the entire battlefield with projectiles and hitboxes, you actually, ironically left yourself open and even gave Robin room to breath and charge thunder in the gaps between your attacks. Your opponent got a lot of mileage just by exploiting your openings, whiffs, and projectile placements.

One of many examples of is at around 0:43 in your match on FD. You threw a bomb and your opponent just reacted by throwing a tome at you.

2) Related to the previous point, you shouldn't be approaching Robin that much, especially in the beginning of the match when the lead has not been determined yet. You should be camping Robin and not be letting Robin charge up to Thoron at a distance. Let Robin approach you, especially since Robin is not the best at approaching. As boring as this sound, this match-up should be a campfest for both sides, and that is WITHOUT customs (the camping becomes even worse if Robin decides to use Speed Thunder and Firewall).

3) Admittedly, I am not familiar with Anther's ladder so by extension I don't know how stage striking works but good on you to take Robin on Final Destination. Robin does not actually like that stage and prefers stages with platforms like Battlefield for both platform pressure/mix-ups and improved arcfire traps. Town and City, however, I feel benefits Robin more. Not only does the low vertical ceiling in conjunction with platforms allow Robin to score early ko's with Levin Uair, Robin can also choose to camp the platforms and charge all the way up to Thoron safely. And although your opponent was not doing this the platforms give Robin more safe leeway to escape to the platforms with Elwind.

4) When Robin launches arcfire at the ledge as you are recovering, never ever do a normal get up. Also keep in mind that the final explosion of arcfire hits below the stage and can knock you off if your invincibility frames wear out.

5) In a custom-less environment specifically, Link should have the easier time camping of the two. There are two big exceptions to this, however, and those exceptions ate you alive. Those two exceptions are when Robin either have Thoron on deck or a discarded tome, or both. Both projectiles will tear through all of yours with ease and deal massive damage. The discarded tome, surprisingly, is Robin's fastest and strongest projectile, dealing up to 18% potentially and killing even earlier than Thoron, especially since Thoron tends to be stale (all of Robin's thunder moves share the same stale move pool). When Robin has either of those two options, Robin will win the zoning war, always. So be careful next time because you got punished a lot for this.

See 1:31 on your Town and City match for one example.

6) You seemed to have suffered from tunnel vision (there was actually a video posted on the front page of Smashboards a while ago about this). Along with number one, this was probably your biggest downfall. You seemed too fixated on playing YOUR game that you didn't really consider fully your opponent's game and plans. Thus you were often caught off guard by Robin's projectiles, especially the tomes.

Anyways, I hope this help. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me or even just drop a question or two on the Robin boards (our social is particularly active), especially since I am hardly the best Robin we have to offer. Also, thanks again to Dumbfire for the goodwill invitation.
Anyways,

I'm going to focus on the Robin matches because that's the MU I've played probably the most with Link:

Also I will be spouting some things about this MU as I go along, I'll bold these statements and change their font color (red).

Please keep in mind that my thoughts will probably "develop" as this post continues because I'm typing this as I'm watching the videos.

Anyways, right off the bat a major issue I'm seeing is that you're putting up projectile spam, but you're not using it to get in, which isn't horrible for this MU because Link can camp pretty well with Robin, but in these sets of matches you were losing the spam battle.

In particular, you didn't keep moving forward as you were throwing out bombs and boomerangs, let's take specifically the opening seconds of the second match (Town and City):

For the first 10 seconds of the match you do:

Bombslide Fthrow -> Retreating FH Bombpull (soft) Fthrow -> Boomerang.

What is key here is that none of these got anywhere close to the Robin, you let him sit and charge to Thoron which he promptly hit you with and put up 19% within 15 seconds (without the Robin having to do really anything, tbh).

If you're going to be playing the camp game against Robin it is absolutely imperative (IMO) that you apply constant pressure, i.e. you make sure the spam is actually getting to him and forcing him into his shield so that he can't get a free charge to Arcthunder or Thoron.

Moving on (I'll be using timestamps to point out specific thing, and then will come back to some general statements at the end, btw):

Still on the Town and City Match:

0:25 - You get a boomerang and first hit of Fair and then on landing go for both hits of Fsmash, this was an incredibly unsafe choice, especially at this percent where it wouldn't have killed Robin. IMO, you should never just send out the second hit of Fsmash like you did here. There are two only two times you should use the second hit (once again IMO):

A) If you get a hit confirm with Hit 1, at which point barring trajectory anomalies or fast aerials (like Yoshi's Nair fast) when the opponent is lifted the second hit should connect.

B) If you are trying to go for the difficult read of hitting shield or whiffing the first hit, waiting, and then throwing out and hitting the opponent with the second hit if they drop shield or come in after the first hit expecting the active window for the second hit to be over.

0:28 - I think it may have been possible for you to successfully SDI out of the wind jab here, you were SDIing up and I think that if you mashed jump away while doing this you would've escaped, not 100% though.

On that note:

More often than not Link can actually jump out of Robin's Elwind jab before the finisher connects so long as Robin doesn't connect with the Jab at point blank (read: touching Link beforehand) range. Just SDI up and away from Robin and mash the jump button.

Moving on:

0:53ish: You use U-B to come back to the ledge, and end up taking a broken Arcfire tome in the process, a Zair here could've possibly allowed you to avoid this.

1:04-1:13ish: - Excellent DI for the Uair at 1:04! I probably would've lost my stock there, lol.

After this though you stayed on the platform for too long, Robin's Uair is nasty and you do not want to be caught trying to deal with its pressure when you are in kill range, the priority should be getting down to Robin's level here so that he can't Uair you through the platform as he did here for the stock.

1:48: - Most probably already know but,

It's not a good idea to walk through (i.e. Hylian Shield tank) Arcthunder, you'll block the first 4-5 hits (whatever number there is) just fine, but the last hit's hitbox placement gets around the Hylian Shield so you're going to be taking that hit if you just try to walk. Thankfully Arcthunder doesn't really do much shield damage so its okay to just straight bubble shield this most of the time, IMO.

Now going back to the FD Match:

0:48 - FF Bomb throw -> U-B costs you the stock, luckily you were able to take theirs too because they tried to follow offstage, but a Zair here instead would've kept the stock alive.

1:58 - Same thing as 0:48, FF -> U-B costs you the stock when a Zair would've very likely brought you back to the ledge.

3:10 - You do an approaching FH bombpull, missing an open opportunity for an easy Nair or potentially a Uair as the Robin jumps up with you.

IN GENERAL:

This Robin was able to wall you out, plain and simple. You didn't put up the spam to pressure him from charging to Arcthunder or Thoron (well you did have spam, but it wasn't aggressive spam), a lot of your projectiles simply weren't even getting to Robin, allowing him to charge to Thoron and Arcthunder a lot, which you don't want to be dealing with. If you're going to play the camp game you have to keep that constant pressure and keep Robin in his shield so that he can't charge Thunder; the tome isn't like Samus's Charge Shot, if he doesn't get to the next stage of charge before he goes into shield he has to start that stage of charge all over again (you may already know this, but I'm just pointing it out anyways), so if you keep him in his shield he will be hard pressed to charge up to Arcthunder or Thoron.

Do NOT try to challenge Arcfire at the ledge, that thing is made to shut down anyone trying to Ledge Drop -> DJ back onto the stage, and furthermore if you try a jump ledge getup you will always get hit by an Arcfire placed at the ledge.

A number of times you also went for some unsafe things, I saw a number of Dash Attacks get thrown out here and there; 95% of those weren't anywhere near their mark.

In the FD match I saw only a handful of attempts at Jab. Jab 1 got nerfed to death but the Jab combo itself is still one of the fastest options Link has to start bothering Robin when he closes the distance.

I'd also suggest laying off the Fairs and Fair approaches a little bit.

Additionally I would suggest mixing in Hero's Bow more into the spam, the second match I don't think you used it even once throughout the entire match. It's a good poking tool for this MU IMO, a FH uncharged arrow will actually reach Robin on the ground from 3/4 of the way or so across most stages.

The last thing I have to say is, and this actually kind of a big deal to me, is to use Zair when recovering much more, as I pointed out above there were a couple times where Zair would've saved you the stock as well as potentially allowed you to avoid some damage.

Robin can gimp Link offstage with a Nair or a Fair, or the occasional Elwind hand spike, but if you're smart about it this won't happen too often.

This Robin in particular wasn't chasing you offstage much at all, so you would've had a lot of free Zair recoveries here I believe.

That about covers everything though, the key with Robin is that if you're going to be playing the camp game you have to apply constant pressure to keep Robin in his shield because he's more often than not just looking for the Thoron charge, make sure your spam actually reaches him.

While doing this, because in most cases you'll be able to keep Robin in his shield pretty well, you can approach with relatively low trouble, from there it's just making sure to be patient when playing around the Arcfire and making sure not to go for really unsafe things when you could've gotten a safe option off that would've given you some nice damage.

That's all I have to say for now.

----------------------------------------------------------

I actually have some matches to post here as well, this a series of :4link: vs. :4robinf: matches that I played against @Raziek yesterday. I'd say we're about even in terms of skill although I believe if you actually tally all of the :4link: matches up he led the series by a tiny bit.

Also in these matches you'll see me eventually switch to :4ganondorf: for a little. Please ignore those, that MU is awful for Ganondorf and I wasn't playing as seriously when I switched to him.

Well, I guess you can watch them if you want to see me get bodied.

I've only just picked him up so he's still really scrubby. :p

Any constructive critique of my :4link: would be greatly appreciated thanks.~

Also Lylat Cruise is best stage for this MU (for us) by far IMO.
Also someone help me please this MU :sadeyes:
Dumbfire:4link: vs Seworian:4tlink:
2 July 2015 Tournament
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zK6_Byz6QI

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Yes I thought so, I'll edit it out some time.

When FSK lost horribly to a Robin some Robins came over to help, their posts may help you too:

Also someone help me please this MU :sadeyes:
Dumbfire:4link: vs Seworian:4tlink:
2 July 2015 Tournament
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zK6_Byz6QI
Yeah I'd imagine the Gay MU being pretty difficult if the player is very good. Link vs. Tink is a fairly uncommon MU as well, so we might need to discuss it more in the Tink MU thread. Robin is an even more uncommon MU, though I'm sure it's in Link's favor. He's slower than us and we can out-camp him pretty well.

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to your criticism in future matches to further improve my play style. :)

Last edited:

TrevyTrev

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrevyTrev510
Is there anyone I could send my replays to and have them recorded and uploaded? I lack the technology but I could use the feedback.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Is there anyone I could send my replays to and have them recorded and uploaded? I lack the technology but I could use the feedback.
Ask Zelkam for his NNID and send them his way.

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
@ Dumbfire Dumbfire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7yg3BQCYkw

Watching this replay of yours has me thinking a few things about the Fakeout Bombslide you utilize. Admittedly I still don't think it's worthwhile learning yet but I can think of a few potential uses for it aside from safer shield pressure.

First of all Link's longest true combo is Bair -> Bair -> Up-B. This is of course very percentage, DI, fall speed and may even be character specific. Still I think Bair -> Up-B is doable off a Fakeout Bombslide. Perhaps this is something you may want to try if you haven't tried it already. Assuming everything connects this could do over 20% damage.

The second thing I was thinking about is far more applicable. Assuming the Fakeout Bombslide is shielded you could SH towards your opponent and do a wavebounce arrow shot. This should be pretty safe and could hit your opponent while conditioning them to shield longer.

By the way I like your Spin Attack use in the final stock. More Links should be using it given that it's your quickest option to kill when your opponent is behind you and is also inescapable if your opponent is just about to land. You're also really good with the stray aerial bombs but I'm not sure about those YOLO Up-Bs (or did you really want to get the balloon? :)).

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
Local Wi-Fi friendlies I played.

At this point after maining Link since day 2 of Smash 4 Wii U's release and playing competitively, I think there's only one way to play Link that can find success. I've been referring to this as a Smash 4 Link.

It should be obvious by now Link can't fight well offensively at least at the higher levels of the competitive scene. His frame data and lag just doesn't allow him to while projectiles connect far less the more skilled your opponent is. With that said Link can still run a very effective (and frustrating) defensive game as he's capable of not only zoning his opponents but also walling them out. When playing defensively and retreating Link has numerous options (i.e pivot F-tilt, pivot grab, B-reverse arrows, retreating Fairs, jabs, etc) that make him very dangerous. This kind of style also mitigates the weaknesses of his frame data. With a strong projectile game he gives his opponent reason to approach (for most match-ups) while conditioning them to shield and be more susceptible to his improved grab particularly when pivoting. Finally Bombslides tie the style together as Link is capable of capitalizing on any openings and mistakes his opponent makes rather quickly.

As long as one stays focused, plays safe, and doesn't make bad mistakes I think this would be the optimal way to play Link.

Nimious :4link: vs. B-Milz :4ness: Game 1
July 16th, 2015 Local Wi-Fi Friendlies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSphdPyaPmE
Nimious :4link: vs. B-Milz :4ness: Game 2
July 16th, 2015 Local Wi-Fi Friendlies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl9SEqDzHlY
- Game two basically demonstrates what I explained above though as the last game of the night I played too aggro
- These two matches aren't anything special just generally solid defensive Link play

Nimious :4link: vs. BreaD :4zss:
July 10th, 2015 Local Wi-Fi Friendlies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p2vzfNxV4g
- If for nothing else this is a reminder that Forward Bombslide -> Up-B is a true combo that kills
- This is the most messy match I played of the bunch and the one that I'd like advice on the most

Nimious :4link: vs. Fog :4mewtwo:
July 9th, 2015 Local Wi-Fi Friendlies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KlRSQXz2js

Any advice, criticism, and other input will be welcomed :).

Last edited:

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
"Smashville Tournament", July 16th, 2015.

Grand Final First Set: :4link: Drigo Toes (from Winner) vs :4luigi: OZN | Tales (from Loser)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgmGxlhOS2I
Drigo why can't you DI out of the Luigi tornado? At death percentage hit the stick down repeatedly for the multi hits and then for last hit DI away from Luigi (e.g if Luigi heading left go right).

At high percentages holding down no longer works so you have to DI differently. How did you DI the tornado?

This is a match I played on smash ladder. Link did an effective job making it very difficult to approach with Captain Falcon

Gimpleader :4falcon: vs. Smashman177 :4link: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03PvieUFNiI
That Link started out with the right idea but didn't seem to know what to do after. Both of you seem to have handled the match-up real weird at certain points of the match lol.

Well whoever that Link is he was pretty decent but has a lot to clean up. He had two chain grab opportunities on you that he didn't do likely because he wasn't aware of it. He dropped his jab two cancel repeatedly and never utilized pivot moves to cut your approaches down. His mental fortitude also needs to be better as he cracked with the random smashes. Just way too many mistakes from him.

I have some advice for you if you want it. You can FF Bair Link pretty safely if you find the opening. Even on shield Link won't be able to grab or punish you if he doesn't perfect shield it and so long as you're moving or dodging right as you land. You also need to stop backing off. That's what Link wants as you give up space far easier than you gain it.

gimpleader

Smash Cadet
Drigo why can't you DI out of the Luigi tornado? At death percentage hit the stick down repeatedly for the multi hits and then for last hit DI away from Luigi (e.g if Luigi heading left go right).

At high percentages holding down no longer works so you have to DI differently. How did you DI the tornado?

That Link started out with the right idea but didn't seem to know what to do after. Both of you seem to have handled the match-up real weird at certain points of the match lol.

Well whoever that Link is he was pretty decent but has a lot to clean up. He had two chain grab opportunities on you that he didn't do likely because he wasn't aware of it. He dropped his jab two cancel repeatedly and never utilized pivot moves to cut your approaches down. His mental fortitude also needs to be better as he cracked with the random smashes. Just way too many mistakes from him.

I have some advice for you if you want it. You can FF Bair Link pretty safely if you find the opening. Even on shield Link won't be able to grab or punish you if he doesn't perfect shield it and so long as you're moving or dodging right as you land. You also need to stop backing off. That's what Link wants as you give up space far easier than you gain it.
Thanks for the advice! I play really patiently on Falcon when I know sometimes I need to kick on the aggression. That is just my inexperience showing.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato

He knows a tempo in which is impossible to DI out... he simply mashed it before, so i could get out in the past... know i can't... He knows the tempo for every char... he is a good luigi... maybe i could DI up... :D

BTW, I have the second set:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v-UUyNxcTQ

Last edited:

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
He knows a tempo in which is impossible to DI out... he simply mashed it before, so i could get out in the past... know i can't... He knows the tempo for every char... he is a good luigi... maybe i could DI up... :D

BTW, I have the second set:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v-UUyNxcTQ
Really? I need to test that out then. It seems absurd you can't escape tornado given that Link is pretty heavy.

Also as a suggestion if Luigi does get the grab on you at low percentages, DI into Luigi. It's a lot harder for him to get a regrab on you if you DI into him. When you DI out he'll double Fair you into the optional Up-tilt and regrab as you experienced. Only on bad Luigis does DI out work out as you can sometimes trade a Nair against them.

You should also use more pivot F-tilts and pivot grabs. That's really the only way to beat a good Luigi main. You need to condition them to shield with all the projectiles then you make them guess whether you're going for pivot F-tilt or pivot grabs when they try and get close to you. Also try B-reverse arrows to mix things up, it became pretty predictable when you'll fire arrows (typically right after a boomerang) so it was easy for Luigi to shield it.

There's a very good Luigi in my region so I too am trying to figure out Luigi haha....

Last edited:

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
I'll update the thread fully later, but I've added the third art of Link. Here's a link pointed out to me yesterday on Izaw's stream:

Ggglygy :4link:vs SSGuy :4megaman:
15 July 2015 Tournament
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wci1bA9D7JA

That'll be the third video of SSGuy in the arkive LOL, poor guy keeps losing to Links.
Ggglygy :4link:vs Gyo:4rob:
15 July 2015 Tournament
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yroFeouS8o

Additionally, for those who missed it, here's some great FG play by the one and only KirinBlaze: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5K4AFlcYDc Let's hope to see more of him in the future again!

Last edited:
Top Bottom