• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vid: Link with Shield/L cancel hacks

4Serial

Smash Lord
Does it work the same way l-canceling does? I heard the creator originally made it so that you just had to hold L from the beginning of your aerial attack or something for l-canceling to work, instead of actually timing it......
But holy **** this is cool. Give Link a better recovery as well plz lol

sasook

Smash Champion
I got 3 words: This is freakin' cool.

Freakin' doesn't count as a word because it's in the fact that HE'S FREAKIN' LINK.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Kind of off topic, but I thought I'd post it anyway:

I just went back and played Melee. After exhuming it from my video game archive, I popped it into my Wii and just started playing a lvl 9 Marth as Fox. It took me a while to get used to wavedashing, SHFFLing and teching, but I really enjoyed myself. I hadn't played melee in so long and it felt so good. After my excursion, there were a few things I figured out about Brawl v. Melee:

*Brawl has too little hitstun. I hadn't really noticed it before, but seriously. Teching has only been eliminated from brawl, there are no combos, and there's a lot less variety. Hitstun added much more skill to the game, requiring a player to be ready to hammer the "L" or "R" button whenever they were about to hit the ground. Now, teching is almost pointless and I hardly even see a need to using it... :ohwell:

*L-Cancels are cool, but they're something I could so without. L-Cancelling makes it a little too easy to land attacks like Link's Dair. It may balance out Meta Knight a little bit, but I can forsee myself in Brawl 2.0 without it.(I Played Link for one match and I think his melee counterpart sucks nuts :p)

*Wavedashing has passed. It's far too easy to juggle in melee and I like the new airdodging system much better than the old one. Plus, Link can Pivot Boost anyway, which is pretty much the same thing. (With a different button combination of course) If other characters have their way though, Wavedashing will return and Link will get ***** even harder in the air. *sigh*

*Tripping has got to GTFO. Dash Dancing is really cool and it needs to make its return to Brawl without the fear of tripping whilst performing it. NO TRIPPING CODE FTW

And those are my observations. Thoughts?

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Pretty good observations. I like the wave dash codes. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue on how to hack with a mac. :(

4Serial

Smash Lord
play melee with other friends and enter the competitive scene and then you'll know how great it is :p

I like the shield-canceling because it makes aerial attacks a lot more better for approaching and such. Brawl's shield game is really broken. So Broken offence + broken defence = balance right?
... What? Most experienced Melee players agree that Melee Link is better than Brawl Link. You're not playing him right. =/

Juggling isn't easy if people know how to DI smart <_< In Brawl, there's only 1 type of DI that's commonly known. Survival DI... and that's it. Survival DI is generally easy to learn. Melee has that and combo DI, which varies so much from character to character and match ups. Plus, you were playing against computers.
People that don't support wavedashing generally make it out to be more of a broken technique than it really is. All it really does is add options to maneuverability. I also hate the really gay airdodging brawl has <_< it makes getting out of combos in general too easy.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
me and my friend used to play it pretty hardcore, and we could wavedash and L-cancel and everything. Those games were crazy fun, but I haven't entered a tournament. I just decided to play it now because I'm bored and I understand computers don't provide the best challenge. I'll try to play with my friend later, but he likes Brawl much more than melee, probably because I can't destroy him as hard as I could in melee. :)

Broken Offense + Broken Defence = Balanced? Good point. But, IDK. Maybe we should fix the shields so that they've more vulnerable to oncoming attacks or something. I think being able to unleash a Dair whenever you want to is a little unfair. It has lag for a reason, after all.

I know all about Combo DI, and I use it to get out of attacks like Pit's Fsmash, Diddy Kong's Fsmash, etc. But I don't see how utilizing that kind of DI makes you less vulnerable in the air, unless you DI out of Fox's Uair. -_-' Brawl's characters are more floaty than Melee's, too. That means more air time and more vulnerability.

It's not that I don't support wavedashing, its that I don't support the old way of airdodging. The only reason I don't want wavedashing to return is because of the airdodging system, and since I see no way of seperating the two, I just want it eliminated completely. I like the wavedash as a better option to a dodge roll and a movement option. As for "getting out of combos too easily", I think increased hitstun would cover that much.

Edit: As for melee vs. brawl Link, I probably was using him wrong. His arrows are terrible and his aerials come out strangely, which threw me off. His chain is so long though. O_O

4Serial

Smash Lord
You have to enter the competitive scene to know how great Melee truly is. Do it! It can get boring if you play the same people all the time, going to a tournament and smashfests shows you different things, and you improve and have more fun.

Yeah, Brawl needs shieldstun, and shields shouldn't come up and let down so fast <_< Link's d-air is really strong and usually has lots of lag.. but a lot of moves are overpowered and are hard to punish? Snake's tilts and MK in general.
Link's d-air was the exact same in Smash64, but it did NOT make him broken. He was still bottom tier.

No, that isn't combo DI <_< That's smash DI, which can be included in Survival and Combo DI. Combo DI is DIing right to get out of Falco's shine combos, out of Marth's combos like f-air > f-air > d-air, out of Falcon's combos, etc. It's DIing so that they can easily follow you or hit you with strings of attacks.
What do you mean by Fox's u-air? In Melee it had 2 hits, you could smash DI the first one- which was like a weak jab- and not get killed ^^

Lol, it's not that I support wavedashing much either :p I care more about making the airdodging less broken. I could honestly do without wavedashing, but i absolutely hate the airdodging. I wish it at least had massive landing lag if you landed from an airdodge. Though, Link's wavedash in Brawl is pretty sexy..

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
You have to enter the competitive scene to know how great Melee truly is. Do it! It can get boring if you play the same people all the time, going to a tournament and smashfests shows you different things, and you improve and have more fun.
I'll try to someday. I was actually going to attend my first brawl tournament today, but I got sick and now I can't go... :(

Yeah, Brawl needs shieldstun, and shields shouldn't come up and let down so fast <_< Link's d-air is really strong and usually has lots of lag.. but a lot of moves are overpowered and are hard to punish? Snake's tilts and MK in general.
Link's d-air was the exact same in Smash64, but it did NOT make him broken. He was still bottom tier.
Shieldstun, yes! I like the new powershielding, but there needs to be more shieldstun. MK's moves aren't overpowered, they're just fast and have little lag. As for Snake's tilts, they aren't aerial moves and they do have a little lag. Having L-Cancelling in Brawl is a huge maybe for me. I like that Link will look better on the tier list, but not at the price of seeing moves like Ganondorf's and Bowser's aerials get better too. IMO, it's either add L-cancel to increase combo-ability or add more hitstun. If we add both, it might be a little bit too easy to combo... :(

No, that isn't combo DI <_< That's smash DI, which can be included in Survival and Combo DI. Combo DI is DIing right to get out of Falco's shine combos, out of Marth's combos like f-air > f-air > d-air, out of Falcon's combos, etc. It's DIing so that they can easily follow you or hit you with strings of attacks.
What do you mean by Fox's u-air? In Melee it had 2 hits, you could smash DI the first one- which was like a weak jab- and not get killed ^^
I thought that that sort of DI was kind of implied. >_< I mean, if you want to get away from the opponent's combo, you should DI away from it. I didn't know that Combo DI didn't encompass two-hit attacks in its definition, thats why I listed things like Diddy's Fsmash. I still think that the decreased gravity of Brawl's engine makes its new airdodging system a better alternative. As for the Fox's Uair thing, utilizing Smash DI will get you out of the 2nd kick, which is exactly what you just said. :laugh:

Lol, it's not that I support wavedashing much either :p I care more about making the airdodging less broken. I could honestly do without wavedashing, but i absolutely hate the airdodging. I wish it at least had massive landing lag if you landed from an airdodge. Though, Link's wavedash in Brawl is pretty sexy..
Link's wavedash is pretty sexy. As a matter of fact, most low tier characters have nice wavedashes. :) Could wavedashing balance the game a little more? That has yet to be determined.

I think the major flaw with Brawl is the shield, not the airdodging. Airdodging could do with a little bit of balancing, for example, limiting it to 1 airdodge per jump or something, but adding shieldstun and a less powerful shield is our biggest problem ATM.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
well that's more like smash 64 than melee but it's cool still. actually, its cooler. no lag at all instead of only half. lol.

as far as i'm concerned about melee vs brawl; the only thing brawl is inferior to is the tripping factor. both games are just as good, just need to be played differently. and i dont know how much creddence my word has on that, but i will tell you i still play both melee and brawl. it's not hard to adjust to each game or to not mix them up as long as you just.... dont. lol.

link2702

Smash Champion
*sigh* why can't people just accept brawl as it is T_T why is It i'm the only one who relizes how wrong this is to hack brawl to make it feel more like melee T_T if people want wavedashing, ect. go play melee, leave brawl alone, i'd be just as annoyed if people decided link should have his SLiding Usmash in melee, that he has in brawl, so he can slide halfway across the stage in melee while charging his Usmash. brawl is brawl, and melee is melee, brawl =/= melee, why am i the only one who understands this :(

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
*sigh* why can't people just accept brawl as it is T_T why is It i'm the only one who relizes how wrong this is to hack brawl to make it feel more like melee T_T if people want wavedashing, ect. go play melee, leave brawl alone, i'd be just as annoyed if people decided link should have his SLiding Usmash in melee, that he has in brawl, so he can slide halfway across the stage in melee while charging his Usmash. brawl is brawl, and melee is melee, brawl =/= melee, why am i the only one who understands this :(
umm... you're not the only one who understands that. i dont know why you think that.

there is nothing "wrong" with altering a game just for the fun of it. if you've ever used a cheat code in any game for any reason, you've basically done the exact same thing and therefore dont have much say about it. the only difference hear is the codes are made/found out by scratch or something like that.

analog: if you have a old car, and modify the audio system to include a CD player or MP3 outlet, is that also "wrong" just because it's aftermarket alterations? people just do these things because they want to.

and dont assume i'm a anti-brawl or all-out-melee type person. i play both games just as they are, without any hacks.

i'm not saying you can't have an opinion; i am saying you should probably think a bit more

edit: sorry if this seems like a rant directed at you, its not meant to.

link2702

Smash Champion
umm... you're not the only one who understands that. i dont know why you think that.

there is nothing "wrong" with altering a game just for the fun of it. if you've ever used a cheat code in any game for any reason, you've basically done the exact same thing and therefore dont have much say about it. the only difference hear is the codes are made/found out by scratch or something like that.

analog: if you have a old car, and modify the audio system to include a CD player or MP3 outlet, is that also "wrong" just because it's aftermarket alterations? people just do these things because they want to.

and dont assume i'm a anti-brawl or all-out-melee type person. i play both games just as they are, without any hacks.

i'm not saying you can't have an opinion; i am saying you should probably think a bit more

edit: sorry if this seems like a rant directed at you, its not meant to.
I understand it if they wanna just have fun with it, but lately i'm seeing people who ARE TRYING TO MAKE THIS TOURNY STANDARD! and that just disgusts me, like I said, I loved the wding in melee, but i don't want it "hacked" into brawl, and then people say that from now on, it'll be tourny standard in brawl as well as melee <.<

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
I understand it if they wanna just have fun with it, but lately i'm seeing people who ARE TRYING TO MAKE THIS TOURNY STANDARD! and that just disgusts me, like I said, I loved the wding in melee, but i don't want it "hacked" into brawl, and then people say that from now on, it'll be tourny standard in brawl as well as melee <.<
yeah well, they can have their hacked tournies all they want and have their fun that way, but that fact of the matter is that most people arnt gonig to go through the trouble of hacking their wii to play with the modifications, ya know? the chances of it becoming tourney standard are so low it's laughable. so it's not something to worry about.

you know what'd be cool to watch? a brawl char vs a melee char. lol

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
you know what'd be cool to watch? a brawl char vs a melee char. lol
Lol.
We need some classics, like Mewtwo vs Lucario. Or White Link from Melee vs Dark Link from Brawl.
Melee characters have more overall speed while Brawl characters have less overall hitstun... Interesting concept.
That's how people should mod the Wii- after all, they have part of the Mewtwo character file finished, why don't we just add the finishing touches and give it everything Mewtwo had?

And I totally agree that this becoming tournament standard is laughable.

Top Bottom