• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGD: Dr. Shrunk Says be Happy!!

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh wow, Splatoon comes out in two days, huh? Hype!

But wow, Rosalina is crazy...especially with customs... AceStar beat my butt repeatedly yet again - but I actually won a couple of times! I find Mii Brawler to be my fav vs Rosalina.

She's got those customs where it's like one stage length star bit that's real fast, and one that kept tricking me and getting the game was where Luma just warps a length ahead, and the last I can remember used against me was a recovery with multi-hitting hitboxes.

Maaan, I had no idea what was going on/ what to do at times! I mean, her jab itself feels like some weird custom. I'm so behind... everyone learning the customs meta, I was just using default stuff mostly... I gatta get more customs experience.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Oh wow, Splatoon comes out in two days, huh? Hype!

But wow, Rosalina is crazy...especially with customs... AceStar beat my butt repeatedly yet again - but I actually won a couple of times! I find Mii Brawler to be my fav vs Rosalina.

She's got those customs where it's like one stage length star bit that's real fast, and one that kept tricking me and getting the game was where Luma just warps a length ahead, and the last I can remember used against me was a recovery with multi-hitting hitboxes.

Maaan, I had no idea what was going on/ what to do at times! I mean, her jab itself feels like some weird custom. I'm so behind... everyone learning the customs meta, I was just using default stuff mostly... I gatta get more customs experience.
im still pretending you let him win on undefeatable

Sonsa

Smash Champion
im still pretending you let him win on undefeatable
I mean...Villager in sudden death...I could gyroid/slingshot/balloon around the edge forever pretty much, but I didnt wanna be lame. I was already kinda happy I sorta technically won by time in one match. That last match...had him buried - if Luma wasn't always in the damn way! But nah, he got me, I wasn't sandbagging or anything, he earned his streak. He better hope he doesnt run into me again though!

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I mean...Villager in sudden death...I could gyroid/slingshot/balloon around the edge forever pretty much, but I didnt wanna be lame. I was already kinda happy I sorta technically won by time in one match. That last match...had him buried - if Luma wasn't always in the damn way! But nah, he got me, I wasn't sandbagging or anything, he earned his streak. He better hope he doesnt run into me again though!
in muh headcannon he's glad im only on the 3DS so he'll never run into me :4villager:
head cannon is funny

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Which color are you gonna have?

I hope I get pink
tumblr_no2lcoHxcs1t90cswo1_500.gif

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Well I want pink! I guess I'd settle for purple or if they have red or somethin.
So apparently there is gray ink. But people keep telling me that it's blue ink. I keep saying it's gray, but they tell me it's blue...

IM SO ****ING MAD I GOT THE BEST KO EVER ON FOR GLORIOUS RN I POCKETED A ZELDAS FULLY CHARGED PHANTOM THEN LATER WHEN I UNPOCKETED IT THE WINDBOX PUSHED HER TO THE EDGE AND THEN THE PHANTOM BROKE HER SHIELD SO SHE FELL TO HER DEATH AND I WAS CRYING AND I HIT SAVE BUT I C O U L D N T S A V E A N Y M O R E R E P L A Y S

Wonderf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wonderf
3DS FC
5172-2136-8763
IM SO ****ING MAD I GOT THE BEST KO EVER ON FOR GLORIOUS RN I POCKETED A ZELDAS FULLY CHARGED PHANTOM THEN LATER WHEN I UNPOCKETED IT THE WINDBOX PUSHED HER TO THE EDGE AND THEN THE PHANTOM BROKE HER SHIELD SO SHE FELL TO HER DEATH AND I WAS CRYING AND I HIT SAVE BUT I C O U L D N T S A V E A N Y M O R E R E P L A Y S

It hurts... :'(

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Someone put on the wrong pair of jeans....

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh no...I'm sorry, dude...
I really hope they have a patch soon where they at least ask you if you want to swap - like, delete another replay to make room for that one.

As for Zero's vid: Yeah, Villager needs to be used more, lot of untapped potential, awesome character. But @ AnchorTea AnchorTea uhh, what did he do...? He seems like a nice dude :o

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Oh no...I'm sorry, dude...
I really hope they have a patch soon where they at least ask you if you want to swap - like, delete another replay to make room for that one.

As for Zero's vid: Yeah, Villager needs to be used more, lot of untapped potential, awesome character. But @ AnchorTea AnchorTea uhh, what did he do...? He seems like a nice dude :o
Tier *****
Insults everyone when he wins
The real Villian of Sm4sh
Cocky

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Tier *****
Insults everyone when he wins
The real Villian of Sm4sh
Cocky
ehh he has to win to make money
he's trying to motivate people by challenging them
Well someone's got to be
you would be too if you just beat everyone

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
ehh he has to win to make money
he's trying to motivate people by challenging them
Well someone's got to be
you would be too if you just beat everyone
That doesn't excuse him from using top tiers.
That's just speculation.
So you ARE admitting he's a villain.
That's natural for humans, but acting like a god is flat out unnecesary.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
your sig is perfect for this

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yeah, Yoshi is used a fine amount, I don't think he's that underrated, dumb dino...

And I don't really mind people using top tiers. I mean... It's better if they actually like the character or moveset and dont just play some character to win, that seems kinda sad, I just play Villager cause he's fun and I like Animal Crossing. If someone plays Diddy cause they loved DKC2 or Sheik cause they loved Ocarina, awesome, keep playin em!

But uhh, from what Ive seen of Zero he seems like an alright dude. Pretty cocky, but from what I heard only one person has ever got a set off him and Zero still won the tourney after and there is that huge bounty on him.
He practices like all day apparently, so its understandable its hard to beat him, we dont all have time like that.
But whatev! I wont defend him or anything, not really lookin to argue.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Yeah, Yoshi is used a fine amount, I don't think he's that underrated, dumb dino...

And I don't really mind people using top tiers. I mean... It's better if they actually like the character or moveset and dont just play some character to win, that seems kinda sad, I just play Villager cause he's fun and I like Animal Crossing. If someone plays Diddy cause they loved DKC2 or Sheik cause they loved Ocarina, awesome, keep playin em!

But uhh, from what Ive seen of Zero he seems like an alright dude. Pretty cocky, but from what I heard only one person has ever got a set off him and Zero still won the tourney after and there is that huge bounty on him.
He practices like all day apparently, so its understandable its hard to beat him, we dont all have time like that.
But whatev! I wont defend him or anything, not really lookin to argue.
Sonsa you're not colorblind right?

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Yeah, It's sad that not many people play this character. He has good tools but his learning curve isn't revealed until much later. I think the part that turns around many people is that you have to adapt like a god.

At the same time, Whenever I lose, I'll remind myself that Ranai won a tournament with the best Japanese players with my favorite character. THAT is the reason why, outside of Hypest, I rarely use customs. It feels cheap IMO and I feel less....motivated to be creative.

This character has clear potential and my goal is to be a good Vanillager.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Yeah, It's sad that not many people play this character. He has good tools but his learning curve isn't revealed until much later. I think the part that turns around many people is that you have to adapt like a god.

At the same time, Whenever I lose, I'll remind myself that Ranai won a tournament with the best Japanese players with my favorite character. THAT is the reason why, outside of Hypest, I rarely use customs. It feels cheap IMO and I feel less....motivated to be creative.

nominating @ Mr.Sile Mr.Sile for cutest villager

Wonderf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wonderf
3DS FC
5172-2136-8763

Brilliant words!

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Woo, thought it was just me, but Villager's customs are nice to mess with sometimes, but I really prefer playing... uh... Vanillager :D Even when I was fighting Ace I had trip sapling to use, I messed with extreme timber way more and landing that looked so painful haha, but when I really wanted to win, default! And I did it! (thanks to an SD mistake by Ace)

And nope, looks like my vision is pretty perfect as I see it. Im not colorblind.

Last edited:

Myed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
13sora
3DS FC
1306-7973-7040
Story of my Smash life. Been using Ness since Christmas a year 64 came out, always got **** talk because 'hes **** tier' and 'lol trash character for a trash player'. And now, 3 games and 20ish years later, grabs become big and ness' kill throw (which wasnt buffed from Brawl, it always killed at 'low' percents) shoots him up to the competitively viable, and i get called all the names from 'tier *****' 'lol you need a crutch' 'you only won because ness is broken', and I find myself using my baby less and less because of the **** ill envitably get from it. It might be blasphemous, but I hope Lucas is **** so i can use him without all the 'tier *****' bs.

Im sorry AnchorTea, I didnt mean to go off like that, it just really bothers me when you judge a player based on the characters they use instead of the players themselves.

I personally dont follow ZeRo past watching tournies, so I really cant speak on whatever he did.

EDIT bc people are posting things while im typing: On the topic of customs: get to know the character before you obsess over them. I see tons of fellow Wii Fit Trainers using nothing but Jumbo Hoop, and, when realizing that its if your opponent knows how to shut it dowm, try to spam side-smash aka the slowest move EU. Customs, like regular specials, are only good when supplimented with regular attacks.

nominating @ Mr.Sile Mr.Sile for cutest villager
Seconded.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
on tiers:
use who you like, if you like a game play a representative, if you like a playstyle then play that play style, if you want to win pick a top tier, if you just really like a character then play that character

on yoshi:
he's popular in low to mid level play but not very at high level play

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
on tiers:
use who you like, if you like a game play a representative, if you like a playstyle then play that play style, if you want to win pick a top tier, if you just really like a character then play that character

on yoshi:
To be honest, I picked up Rosalina, the only top tier I despise least (and now love her mechanics), the day after she got patched (the first time) after being worried (and a bit pissed off) about me not having a ''top tier, fast paced character'' since I believed that Villager was C+ tier back then.

Then again, this is how I used to play back in the day.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
on tiers:

on yoshi:
I love seeing tiers in crossover fighting games cause it's like... not crazy to say "Wow, Luigi seems a lot better at fighting than Charizard" ...I mean...that's hilarious. To get the best of the best and see who actually is the best! That Villager from animal crossing that shops and gardens all day is actually a threat and beats Dedede? Makes ya think how much easier a Kirby game playing as Villager might be? "Diddy Kong and Sheik seem evenly matched..." Hilarious! Super fun!

As for Yoshi...I don't like talking about Yoshi. For people who play him, cool! Glad you enjoy him! Personally, ...urgh...

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
As for Yoshi...I don't like talking about Yoshi. For people who play him, cool! Glad you enjoy him! Personally, ...urgh...
I completely understand how you feel. It is as if Yoshi was designed to irritate his opponent!
the best air speed, solid recovery, decent frame data including a frame 3 n-air, strong moves, a spammable projectile (that villager doesn't get much use of). high weight.
The list goes on and on and on...

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I hate it when people say Villager is top tier or overpowered. When he isn't.

Last edited:

Wonderf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wonderf
3DS FC
5172-2136-8763
I completely understand how you feel. It is as if Yoshi was designed to irritate his opponent!
the best air speed, solid recovery, decent frame data including a frame 3 n-air, strong moves, a spammable projectile (that villager doesn't get much use of). high weight.
The list goes on and on and on...
He also has some strong combos...

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Alright, so looks like there's a lot for me to comment on!

I'll start with Zero. Honestly, I can't help but have mad respect for somebody who puts as many hours in the game as he does, and because of that can whoop everybody's tail in the US, and in reality, he only really needs a top tier character when fighting another top tier player. And he may seem cocky, but so was Ken, and you know what they have in common? They were the single dominant player in their respective games. I think Zero's tired of the U.S.'s lazy, whiny mentality on Smash 4. In Japan, a Peach player ranked 19th in Japan was able to crush his falcon, yet in the U.S. he can bust it out anywhere there isn't Dabuz, Nairo, or FOW and still dominate. That makes me ashamed of U.S. players, and I hope whatever Japanese players come to EVO destroy us so we can get a wake up call. He's not really a villain like Leffen is for Melee, but more like a King who knows he's on top, and not everybody likes their King I guess.

As for tiers in general, this game's way too young to even have an unchanging top tier group, without even considering patches. I agree with Zero's underrated characters video; I think all those characters have top tier potential(except for maybe Little Mac). We just need players who can bring out the absolute best in each character, and I have no doubt that our current idea of the tier list will change dramatically.

I love Villager's customs! They make him so much better. Nobody can bother you on the ledge, you have dominating stage control, and pushy's pretty good for combos. Default villager is pretty fun too, not gonna lie. Standard timber is always a joy to use, but imo extreme balloons outshine default too much to justify using default. I actually just love customs in general. Diddy's 1123 set is the explosive barrels and battering peel, and with those moves you can perform a combo that kills at like 70%! It's crazy! And honestly I think this craziness is what will set Smash 4 apart from the rest of the series in the long run. That's why I hope customs don't die after EVO.

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Story time:

So I fought this guy and he ''mains'' Sheik. I started out with Rosaluma and I beat him. Then I decided to have some fun and switched to Villager. As soon as the match began, this person started spamming as many needles as he could. When I got close and tried to put on pressure, he just ran to the other side of the stage; The beginning of a cycle of a skill-less match.

I still hold esteem for Sheik mains and enjoy the matchup. Even when he won by timeout, I'd consider that a win on my part, in terms of skill and advancing the battle.

Didn't enjoy the match but I'll get better at it.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Story time:

So I fought this guy and he ''mains'' Sheik. I started out with Rosaluma and I beat him. Then I decided to have some fun and switched to Villager. As soon as the match began, this person started spamming as many needles as he could. When I got close and tried to put on pressure, he just ran to the other side of the stage; The beginning of a cycle of a skill-less match.

I still hold esteem for Sheik mains and enjoy the matchup. Even when he won by timeout, I'd consider that a win on my part, in terms of skill and advancing the battle.

Too bad some people will resort to skill less methods in order to win. That's just my opinion.
it is actually the most optimal for sheik to needle camp :/

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
it is actually the most optimal for sheik to needle camp :/
Ah, TIL. Well, I'll just keep Rosalina for the matchup since Luma can take the damage. Just need to get better at it although I wish I knew how to counter that needle camping T_T

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Ah, TIL. Well, I'll just keep Rosalina for the matchup since Luma can take the damage. Just need to get better at it although I wish I knew how to counter that needle camping T_T
isk if it would counter but regular Lloyd doesn't explode against needles and f-air hits Sheik's short hop

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Depends if we have customs on or not. No customs, probably B. Customs, A easy.

Top Bottom