• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Various Samus Tech (Z-air --> F-smash Update)

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
Platform Canceled F-air

Simply full hop rising f-air and land on a platform. This can lead a lot of nasty tricks. D-Throw → Platform Canceled F-air → Jab / F-tilt is a true combo. *Note that F-air doesn't auto cancel after a short hop*

Stage Canceled F-air

Press back and rising F-air onto the stage instead of pressing down. With this, Samus is a bit more like her Brawl / Melee self on the ledge. Due to increased hit stun and the 361 degree knockback angle of F-air true stage carry strings and grab setups can come out of this.

Charge Shot Planking

Now this is one of the reasons I think Samus is a ledge monster. With a lead, Charge Shot planking will put your opponents in a bad situation. They're forced to approach and or shield. They become predictable. Now, if your opponent has a whittled shield, anticipate shield dash approach and ledge jump morph ball bomb into an attack of your choice. D-air is preferred due to it's immense shield chip. Note that this can be done faster that I am demonstrating.

Super Missile Planking

Albeit slightly more difficult, this can be a timing mixup to charge shot planking. It's also an alternative to CS planking if you have a full charge. Hit one missile and you get a free charge shot. If they happen to shield the missile, you could break their shield with your shot.

D-tilt Ledge Snap Punish

Denying your opponent the ledge is edgeguarding. Although D-tilt pops the opponent up in the air, they may have already wasted their second jump before being caught by the 2 frame punish. I wouldn't use this at higher percents, but if you're positive that your cannot capitilize further off of their opponents recovery, this seems optimal.

Submission by Afro Smash Afro Smash

SH Airdodge → U-air → Jab 1 → CC F-tilt

SH Airdodge into U-air is perfect for shield poking, conditioning opponents with your approach, and leading into devastating strings. This can setup for a charge shot tech chase and is a lot safer than praying for a well spaced F-tilt to hit. I face palmed when ZeRo did upwards to 20 F-tilts until one finally hit so he could get a CS kill. Be creative. Don't limit this character. Note that CC means crouch cancel. Crouch canceling Samus' jab takes advantage of it's IASA frames and removes the possibility that you go into jab 2.

I'm in the lab frequently with Samus so I'll post more as it comes. Also, SH Airdodge → U-air → Jab 1 → F-smash is a true combo, albeit very difficult to register. Even if it doesn't it's a trap and yet another way for Samus to secure the kill with her great poking tools.

Touch of Depth (0-Death Concept)

I'm looking for help on this project. This seems to star K.O and blast K.O Mario. There are many alternate versions of this which are much easier, but I'm not sure about their legitimacy. However, these versions seem to be real 0-Deaths. I've actually gotten the second version shown in the video during a match on Samus for a kill. This also kills Bowser in training mode... I guess that means it's guaranteed death after screw attack for more than half the cast?

That aside, this is quite difficult to do, but if you feel you're not up to the task, the opponent could start mashing air dodges. One could read that and follow up with more U-airs to kill or add on more percent. Note that you must fast fall to the platforms after preforming the first two full hop U-airs.

Ledge Drop → Rising Air Dodge → B-air
This is a great option and a good scare tactic considering how powerful Samus' sweet spot b-air is near the blast zones. Hasty opponents who are tired and ready to knock a planking Samus off-stage will get a Chozo boot to the spinal cord. :)

Submission by @ -_ellipsis_- -_ellipsis_-

Charge Shield Dropping

This adds a layer of depth to charging on platforms. As we all know, a vast amount of interchangeable options to chose from makes for a better attack. Before, we would just charge on platforms and wait for someone to tap our shields so they could get scooped up by Screw Attack OOS, but now, we can apply pressure while standing on a platform, charge one of the best projectiles in the game, and not be forced to resort to defensive options to stop. We generally get a lot out of this. Combo starters in the form of shield drop --> falling u-air and shield pressure in the form of shield drop --> z-air, missiles, or CS. We could always empty hop the shield drop too for even more mixups.

Submission by @ -_ellipsis_- -_ellipsis_-

Rising RAR B-air → Reverse CS
This is good for a variety of reasons. As most of us know, shielding increases the hurt box of all characters. So, RAR B-air would tap the shield and either force them out in their attempt to punish or keep them in. At that point, Charge shot should get the shield incredibly low, removing one of the opponents defensive options from Smash's Rock-paper-scissors neutral.

Submission by @ Afro Smash Afro Smash

B-Reverse Charge Shot Slide Cancel

Sheik mains are avid users of this technology. It's optimal for positioning in neutral for well spaced attacks and mind conditioning / mind gaming the opponent. What use could Samus have with this? Well, let's take a look at our options out of shield without dropping. We have grab, jump canceled up smash, and jump. With good timing, we could use our tether grab and this technique to essentially preform a wavedash back --> grab to snatch the opponent out of their active or cooldown frames of their approach. Letting go of the charge early is great too.

Upsmash is pretty unreliable as an anti-air, so that's out of the question. On the other hand, jumping out of shield gives us some options. There is z-air, f-air, and n-air for horizontal approaches, the latter of which we have to be very careful about using unless we're sure we can hit the opponent during the recovery frames of their approach.

As for shield dropping (not to be confused with shield dropping through platforms), keep in mind that the entire sequence of frames for a shield drop is 7, so add those frames to the start of frames of any standard or special attack you would like to do. If our timing and positioning are perfect, maybe we can hard punish with things like smashes or tilts.

Submission by @Unholydeath123

True Combos and Inescapable Setups after Jab 1

Here it is, proof that Samus can kill after jab 1 as a true combo. It works on a variety of characters sizes, but is easiest to preform on floaties at kill percents. Note that even Jab 1 --> B-air is a true combo during these percent ranges. This is my estimate on the frames advantage after hitting an airborne opponent with jab 1.

Our jump squat is 5 frames. Add that to the frames in which b-air isn't active and we have 14 frames. That's 14 frames of advantage after jab 1, but there's more. Air dodges also have startup frames in which characters are vulnerable. Sheik's is in the fastest tier at 2 frames of startup. That gives us a bare minimum of 16 frame advantage after jabbing someone in the air. For the characters that have hitboxes too small for these combos, I suggest Jab --> Charge shot instead. Charge shot starts up in exactly 16 frames, meaning that it's a true frame trap against Sheik.

If you can get that read on your opponents opproach and totally avoid it with SHAD --> U-air --> Jab 1, then you can kill at high percents quite easily.

Submissions by @Scream

Z-air combo setups (F-smash confirmed)

There's a good player in my region who uses Ike. His name is Ryo. He's single-handedly put fear into the entire state of Florida by merely short hopping within close proximity to them. Why can he do this? Well, he conditions his opponents well and Ike just so happens to have some really good aerials that kill. Maybe we could emulate that short hop fast fall game with Samus now that we have kill setups from z-air. Without our backs turned for b-air, we needed a charge shot to reliably kill with aerials, which made our options a little limited while airborne and our opponent at kill percents. Now, this little string adds a layer of depth to our short hop game when the matches are reaching their critical point.

Submissions by @Seniks and -_ellipsis_- -_ellipsis_-

Fast Fall Auto Cancel (FFAC)

Auto canceling aerials from a fast fall speeds up our pressure to frightening degrees. Perhaps we can punish tech in place with FFAC D-airs. Also, applying pressure with RAR FFAC B-air can do crazy damage to platform campers and make air-to-air encounters with your opponents even more safe. This video also covers wall jump landing. I'll call it that for simplicity, but it's essentially landing on stage after a wall jump and being able to act immediately. As we all know, Samus applies great ledge pressure that can force the opponent to shield. If you're sure that you won't get much out of tapping their shield or waiting on ledge, this can get you on stage easily if your opponent commits to shielding your options. It's a great mixup.

Submissions by @Seniks

Missile Frame Traps

After D-throw

Sometimes we all become very reliant on D-throw for damage output against shield heavy opponents that avoid our Dash Attack, but what happens when opponents DI out of our grab? Pivot grabbing can effectively mix them up, but there could still be problems if they're expecting that.

Here's a solution, frame trapping. Missiles are good. They're something to put on the screen and force defensive options like jumping, airdodging, shielding, and rolling. If your oponent happens to DI away from your grab, throw a super missile. You might just force them to use their mid-air jump, possibly last resource anyone would want to use in any given situation. It's pretty easy to catch the opponents landings with dash attack, charge shot, and even more grabs after that. You could even go for U-air chases and airdodge reads.

Submission by @ KayJay KayJay

The Dirty Bomb

It's quite easy to break shields with Samus. In my opinion, she nearly makes that entire aspect of the neutral obsolete. We have D-air, B-air, Missiles, Bombs, Screw Attack, and Charge Shot. The intricacies of this character baffle me sometimes. What we don't have, we make up for in abundance, but I digress. The Dirty Bomb is a nasty little hard punish technique that can take stocks at percents as low as 30 with minimal effort if setup correctly.

Submission by @Primer TMT

Samus Movement Options

At first glance, our character may seem quite slow. We have average running speed, below average fall speed and air speed, and a really high shorthop. However, if we combine all of the games movement mechanics together, our speed can increase dramatically. Take short hops, fast falls, perfect pivots, foxtrot cancels, and various other movement options and we can effectively confuse our opponents. With foxtrot canceling, we can bait shields, spotdodges, and jumps. We can perfect pivot for crazy spacing, and fast falls can generally shake our opponents up because of what we can get out of them, being z-air, b-air, u-air, and charge shot.

Submission by me

Last edited:
NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
I think the only time I've gone for SH fair is after down throw at 0% I usually use full hop fair fast fall. Great for platform pressure.

I just noticed you added some planking vids. Is there an advantage to doing that on the edge instead of on stage that I'm missing?

Highgarden

Smash Cadet
I just noticed you added some planking vids. Is there an advantage to doing that on the edge instead of on stage that I'm missing?
Seems like more of a harassment. I tried this before with a full charge shot, but kind of pointless as it pushes you back a ways. Using it uncharged may just have the person jump, and still approach. That'll leave you to try to get back up or get some sort of neutral position because if you stay on ledge, and smart person would just take advantage of your fingers.

The Super missile one works sort of, but at the height of which the video shows it wouldn't work against a lot of small characters. They'll be at your vulnerable fingers by the time you come back.

Stage Canceled F-air
I really like doing this, but works well if your opponent whiffs. Majority of the time they'll block, and wait.

SH Airdodge → U-air → Jab 1 → F-tilt
I really like this, and have been trying to put some use into this. I don't know if we're supposed to look at the percentages, but if so, you could FF Up Air into a Fsmash/Up Tilt/Dsmash/CS. Maybe you could use a Down Tilt, but yoshi may have been too close for the fire to catch.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
What percents are you finding U-air sourspot -> jab 1 -> f-tilt true combo? Or f-smash for that matter?

Your video actually shows that only the jab1 -> f-tilt combo. I've tried a bunch before with little success. It's a useful string though as noted in the complete combo thread.

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
The jab to f smash is such a tiny window but oooohhhh so worth it to get down pat. It's probably one of her best options especially against characters that ko at 90% with it. Like Fox.

Highgarden

Smash Cadet
These should also be considered off ledge imo, at least to switch up off Super Missle and Charge Shot.

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
What percents are you finding U-air sourspot -> jab 1 -> f-tilt true combo? Or f-smash for that matter?

Your video actually shows that only the jab1 -> f-tilt combo. I've tried a bunch before with little success. It's a useful string though as noted in the complete combo thread.
I find that f-smash and f-tilt work most in the 80-120% range, but I'm struggling to get the jab --> fsmash one up. That's very difficult timing, but the window to dodge them seems very small nonetheless. Jab pushes them straight into the sweet spot. That aside, U-air --> Jab true combos under most circumstances. It's very difficult if not impossible to escape as well. I've only seen it happen with Yoshi mashing his double jump in which his super armor protects him. Even then, that may have just been bad timing on my part.

I think the only time I've gone for SH fair is after down throw at 0% I usually use full hop fair fast fall. Great for platform pressure.

I see it as advantageous when Samus is recovering. Because of the new ledge mechanics, a lot of people have the idea that planking is suicide. I don't think that's the case our character. Lately, I've been forcing the opponent to give me space when I recover by throwing out all of this projectile or z-air nonsense on the ledge. Their shield does get destroyed very quickly if you mix up your options and condition them correctly.

With CS planking, some players will get the idea that they can just shield it when they need to. A ledge hop morph ball bomb will either force them out of shield to take damage, break their shield, or force them to give you space for maneuvers. Either way, recovery was successful.

The Super missile one works sort of, but at the height of which the video shows it wouldn't work against a lot of small characters. They'll be at your vulnerable fingers by the time you come back.
Indeed, missile planking is a lot worse than CS planking, but it's shield chip is invaluable and shielding increases a characters hurtbox. I think Mario sided characters would get hit given that, but it's all a condition. If an opponent ducks, they'll be dealing with CS planking and Z-air. If they jump, you've just made a successful recovery and can possibly go for a U-air chase.

My point with these videos is that it's incredibly difficult to trump Samus. She just has too many options on the ledge. If an opponent just so happen to get close and begin charging a smash, silly them. Tether the stage and delay your accent to avoid being hit. Punish with a stage canceled F-air or U-air. If your opponent happens to try their hardest to ledge gimp without being preemptive, ascend to give them what they want only to cancel the accent and screw attack which can also break shields. If they decide on resorting to defensive options, that's a successful recovery on your part.

Last edited:

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
Quick question: does a stage canceled fair combo into anything?
Yes, there should be a 10 frame window or more in which she can act on her hitstun. She can get Jab and d-tilt at a lot of percents. At higher percents she gets dash attack, lmfao. Too good. Those are true combos. I got a full FD stage carry on Mario-sized characters at around 30% with Stage canceled F-air --> Dash attack --> F-air. This works on Bowser-sized characters on upwards to 50% or more.

Last edited:

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
Yes, there should be a 10 frame window or more in which she can act on her hitstun. She can get Jab and d-tilt at a lot of percents. At higher percents she gets dash attack, lmfao. Too good. Those are true combos. I got a full FD stage carry on Mario-sized characters at around 30% with Stage canceled F-air --> Dash attack --> F-air. This works on Bowser-sized characters on upwards to 50% or more.
This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Samus is turning into a combo monster the more we look into her. Damn.

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Samus is turning into a combo monster the more we look into her. Damn.
Yes, Samus does have a lot of strings that many of us are unaware of. My favorites are on battlefield and other platform stages. Here, she could probably use platform canceled F-airs into D-tilt to setup screw attack reads which gives her early kills. Halberd is great for this. Tumultus has also given me some good ideas about Lylat.

There's an example of stage canceled F-airs carry capabilities on fast fallers I recently added.

Last edited:

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
Yes, Samus does have a lot of strings that many of us are unaware of. My favorites are on battlefield and other platform stages. Here, she could probably use platform canceled F-airs into D-tilt to setup screw attack reads which gives her early kills. Halberd is great for this. Tumultus has also given me some good ideas about Lylat.

There's an example of stage canceled F-airs carry capabilities on fast fallers I recently added.
This is beautiful! Such a morale destroyer.

Tumultus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTumultus
Wow, very good stuff Depth! These videos are helpful. The frame window to get some of these to count is very tough; but remember, it's good to get into the habit of crouch canceling jab 1 in order to act out of it faster. It might just get you to connect whatever second move you're doing into a true combo.

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
Wow, very good stuff Depth! These videos are helpful. The frame window to get some of these to count is very tough; but remember, it's good to get into the habit of crouch canceling jab 1 in order to act out of it faster. It might just get you to connect whatever second move you're doing into a true combo.
Thanks, yo. I'll add the crouch cancel method into the descriptions. By the way, the skype group is up.

Tumultus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTumultus
I'll register a skype so I can join it and then post the username here. Also; I'm having a tough time trying to get the f-air to stage cancel. Something about the timing is off and I'm ending up with landing lag. Gotta keep practicing!

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
This seems cool however im struggling to do the cancelled fair from the ledge, whats the exact input and are there any specific timings?

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
This seems cool however im struggling to do the cancelled fair from the ledge, whats the exact input and are there any specific timings?
tap left off the ledge, or right off the right ledge, don't tap down to fast fall. Immediately jump and input fair. You have to input it pretty freaking quickly.

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
I'll register a skype so I can join it and then post the username here. Also; I'm having a tough time trying to get the f-air to stage cancel. Something about the timing is off and I'm ending up with landing lag. Gotta keep practicing!
The claw method makes this quite easy if you use Y to jump. Use whatever method you see if comfortable with your left hand, but try to place your right hand nearly flat on the controller, but tilted up on the left so that your index finger touches the Y button and the thumb touches the C stick. Just a suggestion, but it helps. I used this method for all the planking tricks by the way.

Last edited:

Highgarden

Smash Cadet
tap left off the ledge, or right off the right ledge, don't tap down to fast fall. Immediately jump and input fair. You have to input it pretty freaking quickly.
No wonder, I was wondering how you can get the extra height in order for Samus to initiate the flip to stage cancel.

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
Not sure if this is common knowledge, but fair can be executed at the top of the jump and have no landing lag. And the last hit box will hit taller characters like gdorf, Captain Falcon, ROB, etc. So you can use it for more mind games, spacing, or combos/strings.

Another thing you can pull off that I've adapted from my knowledge of Link tech is Shield Bombing. Every time Link pulls out a bomb, the fuse will last 4 seconds, or exactly 7 of link's rolls. Also, if they are next to you while you are holding a bomb and you are shielding, the explosion will launch them but you have no shield stun, throwing lag, etc. For link, he can combo OoS with up b and other moves. For Samus, however, if you are holding a bomb from either Link, tink, or even Bowser jr, you can shield bomb them and then OoS CS for a guaranteed hit at kill percents. This is a fun and surprisingly effective way of punishing these characters, as we all know how aggressive they like to be. It's still kind of situational, though, but situations like that present themselves often. And it's always good to practice catching items in this game for the Link match up.

Last edited:

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
The Autocanceled f-air is very nice, I allready mastered it when hanging on the ledge, but I struggle with the timing when I zair recover. My goal is to master the autocanceled fair of the ledge right after a zair recovery without hanging on the ledge longer than the actual frames it takes to let Samus go.

Highgarden

Smash Cadet
I haven't seen how well it works yet, or beneficial for that matter, but you could Dair onto stage from ledge as far as a roll onto stage would be. Only thing amazing about it is the zero lag at the end of it, so you could Ftilt either direction when landing.

The thing is that I'm wondering is how effective the Dair itself is while getting on to stage.

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
I haven't seen how well it works yet, or beneficial for that matter, but you could Dair onto stage from ledge as far as a roll onto stage would be. Only thing amazing about it is the zero lag at the end of it, so you could Ftilt either direction when landing.

The thing is that I'm wondering is how effective the Dair itself is while getting on to stage.
Me and my friends did some testing a while back. It seems that after you get both hits of morph ball bomb, D-air can break a shield when coming on stage.

Highgarden

Smash Cadet
Me and my friends did some testing a while back. It seems that after you get both hits of morph ball bomb, D-air can break a shield when coming on stage.
That's pretty interesting if you can get that setup going without getting slapped, but this would also mean that the opponent would be on the edge as you'd do a vertical dair.

As for the other method, you'll be Dairing toward stage, but I haven't tested if the hitbox would tap shields, spike a person, or slap them way on your way onto stage(as far as you would roll from ledge).

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
That's pretty interesting if you can get that setup going without getting slapped, but this would also mean that the opponent would be on the edge as you'd do a vertical dair.

As for the other method, you'll be Dairing toward stage, but I haven't tested if the hitbox would tap shields, spike a person, or slap them way on your way onto stage(as far as you would roll from ledge).
If your opponent expects you to z-air plank, z-air on stage, or stage cancel f-air, a ledge hop morph ball bomb would be an ideal mixup to begin the process of scaring them out of shield. We could then retreat to ledge
--> D-air on stage could secure us our shield break if the opponent decides to keep shielding. Other defensive options such as roll or spotdodge could guarantee a safe land if some conditions are met.

The hitbox of drop down --> DJ --> d-air on stage should be the strong hitbox if the opponent is right next to or under Samus. I'm sure they'll get spiked if they let go of shield.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Gah. That means more combos, more setups... will it ever end? I mean yes! GREAT!
I really never thought of f-air as anything but a finisher. Proven wrong...

Highgarden

Smash Cadet
I think I'll just make a video showing what I was talking about later. Interesting sound bomb set up though, but I have my suspicions.

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse

Ledge drop air dodge. Samus's double jump seems very ideal for this, a lot of characters can't execute it because they fall too fast or their double jump isn't high enough, or is too high. Samus seems to be in the Goldilocks zone for this one.

Edit: old video got removed somehow, reuploaded.

Last edited:

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth

Ledge drop air dodge. Samus's double jump seems very ideal for this, a lot of characters can't execute it because they fall too fast or their double jump isn't high enough, or is too high. Samus seems to be in the Goldilocks zone for this one.
Yet another beautiful ledge option and great for baiting d-smash and d-tilt attempts after losing invincibility. :) I'll add it to the list.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn

Dang that's nice!

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
-_ellipsis_- said:
I really, really like this. And it's one of those things that after seeing it I am shocked I never thought of it before... nice. Adding it to essential techniques list...

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506

Edit: old video got removed somehow, reuploaded.
Sorry, I only see one jump. Did you do a rising back air with the double jump?

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I am now seeing this thread for the first time. I am really impressed by Samus' versatility, so much I still need to learn!

So one question... how exactly do you crouch cancel?

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
I am now seeing this thread for the first time. I am really impressed by Samus' versatility, so much I still need to learn!

So one question... how exactly do you crouch cancel?
Practice jabbing and holding crouch during your first jab. Spot the iasa frames of jab 1. Compare it to not crouching. It's best to do it in training mode at slower speed. You should also know that hitting your opponent will have like 1 frame of hitlag, which can throw your crouch cancel timing off.

Squaddle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gaulderdash
Practice jabbing and holding crouch during your first jab. Spot the iasa frames of jab 1. Compare it to not crouching. It's best to do it in training mode at slower speed. You should also know that hitting your opponent will have like 1 frame of hitlag, which can throw your crouch cancel timing off.
Sorry to sound noobish, but is there any actual advantage to crouch cancelling samus's jab? I was under the impression that it's short range and unsafeness on shield meant it was a bit risky to rely on to start a combo and instead should be used as a last resort push move... what percentages can you crouch cancel into f-smash?

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
Sorry to sound noobish, but is there any actual advantage to crouch cancelling samus's jab? I was under the impression that it's short range and unsafeness on shield meant it was a bit risky to rely on to start a combo and instead should be used as a last resort push move... what percentages can you crouch cancel into f-smash?
You decrease the frame disadvantage of a jab 1. By CCing it, your can do another action other than jab 2 about 4 or 5 fames faster than if you hadn't.

Top Bottom