• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UW Presents: Oasis(?) House Monthlies (Next Tourney: 9/19) -updated 9/15

USB

Smash Rookie
Hey, y'all.

I'm a complete noob at this (see post count and join date). I've never gone to a tournament before, and my strategy consists mostly of standing in one place with Marth and spamming his Smash attacks in the general direction of my opponent. Still, everyone's gotta start somewhere, and I'm really interested in checking out the Smash scene. If it's cool with you guys, I'll be there on Saturday to get my *** four-stocked repeatedly and have a lot of fun doing so.

If there are any other noobs out there who want to try and team up for doubles, message me. Don't be too disappointed if we don't go anywhere, though. I have no doubt that you, just like everyone else on this board, are a lot better than I am.

ShadowKSI

Smash Rookie
Some More Information

From the guy who works there.

So that's me. I'm Kip. I had a really hectic time this last week planning and preparing for a wedding but now that it's over, I have time to post. =]

So some quick clarifications:

Timetable:
Currently, we've posted our start time for 10:30 AM however, we'll need to push all posted times back an hour since the store doesn't actually open until 1:00 PM. So, people with setups or severe warm-up times should show up around 11:30.

Furthermore, if you're bringing heavier gear such as a 50 inch lcd plasma, you can drop things off the previous night (Friday the 7th) around 11:00 PM. As a warning, DO NOT drop off your gear earlier than 11 unless you're willing to sit around with it until the store closes. The U-District is a nice place but not necessarily the safest place to leave your stuff behind without locks or supervision.

Pricing and Prizes:
As of today (the 1st, soon to be the 2nd) we have 18 people signed up. The post states that 10% of the pot will go towards venue pricing but, unfortunately, $9 dollars for up to 7 hours just isn't going to cut it (in fact, it wouldn't cut it for 1 hour either). Entry fee for the tournament is still $5 but as it stands, those entering to play will need to buy something off the menu or pay an additional $5 venue fee to enter. Yes, it's understood that people will probably want drinks throughout the day (they're quite good) but no, we cannot go in guaranteeing that we'll pay the owner 10 bucks for her space.

So to be more concise:
$5 or a drink - Entry
$5 - Participation

Total: ~$10 per player. (Note: Menu items are less than $5 and is thus, the more practical way to go)

That said, the pot will be 70/30 or currently: 63 for the winner and 17 for first-place-loser.
Obviously, the more people you can attract, the more money you can win... and thankfully, pricing does not increase as attendance increases...

At the moment I have a couple consolation and participation prizes in mind:
First, everyone who brings a setup will have their entry fee (5 bucks or item) waived and will, in fact, receive a free drink. We have approximately 4 setups guaranteed and 2 tvs with no rigs. If anyone can bring a system for my tv, you'll be getting a drink at the door.

With free drinks being the word of the day, consolation prizes will basically be just that and I'm currently planning to award drinks for various "achievements" such as getting cleared the fastest or walking in with the most people behind you. Because I'll be working that day it'll be tough to keep on top of a lot of stat tracking things I'd like to do but I'll be working closely with the guys out here in the UDistrict to make sure we hand out copious amounts of liquid. (There have been whispers that a coveted few may receive an actual cookie for their actions. Be aware.)

Other Stuff:
So there's a couple other things to address. First of all, Andy will be posting our game formats later and it'll be used as our official rules should any disputes come up (doubtful).

For anyone that's new, BYOC is in effect and you will need to have your OWN controller if you want to play.

Next, outside food is alright but seriously consider purchasing something from the store when you get hungry. We've got lots of great snack foods and greasy-heart-stopping goodness. The portions are serious enough that we have the ambulance on speed-dial. Not to be too shameless but I'd just like to let you know that we also serve some killer crepes and waffles (kill being the paragraph's word of the day) and while they may seem a bit pricey they are absolutely delicious. Don't mislead yourself into thinking that they're low quality because it's a bubble tea shop. This is srsbsns.

There can be NO alcoholic beverages on the premises.

Oasis can not and will not endorse any gambling. (I will be far too busy to enforce this. *wink wink*)

Looking forward to seeing the SSB scene in person. I've only heard great things about you. Thanks for reading the lengthy post assuming you made it this far.

P.S. If you have any ideas for consolation or joke prizes, feel free to post them to the boards or send me an email and I'll write it down in my notebook under "I'll probably seriously consider this maybe"

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Ok cool, ill update the main page with all that stuff. I guess we'll go back to 60/30/10 payout for singles and maybe 70/30 for doubles. We might do pools for doubles if we dont have enough to make a decent bracket.

numberonenacho

Smash Lord
Lol andy I like you put "Stefan(?)" in the confirmed list when theres a maybe list right below it.

you should hit me up this weekend, from the way things are going it looks like its going to be unorganized.

Smasher01 whos your main?? O.o

smasher01

Smash Ace
Lol andy I like you put "Stefan(?)" in the confirmed list when theres a maybe list right below it.

you should hit me up this weekend, from the way things are going it looks like its going to be unorganized.

Smasher01 whos your main?? O.o
i can play all the top tiers the same
fox,falco,marth,shiek plus i can use falcon just as good
wana mm

smasher01

Smash Ace
Hey we should make this like a monthly thing.

cuz we need a place where we can play melee with a bunch of people and no brawl.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Hey we should make this like a monthly thing.

cuz we need a place where we can play melee with a bunch of people and no brawl.
right, all depends on how the first event goes and how what the owner says about it. I'm pretty sure that we can make this a monthly or even something more frequent.

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
I'm unclear, does the person who brings a console for the extra TV get their venue fee waived too?

smasher01

Smash Ace
some of my friends are coming like 4 of them for sure.
turns out i can only bring a gc with melee and a memory card
sorry i cant bring a tv

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
does anyone know of a bus route from seattle ferry terminal to the venue
Looks like you would have to walk up to 3rd Ave in downtown, and then catch a 43,70,71,72, or 73 (Note: the 70-73 run in the tunnel)

Top Bottom