• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utilt as a kill move?

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Kosk presented me the idea, I had been thinking about it before, but Kosk made me want to actually test it's effectiveness. So, I did a few tests....

Not DIed Utilt killed bowser at 170% give or take 5% on each of these by the way lol.

A non DIed Dsmash kills at about 115%.

Haha, I intended to test DIed Utilt/Dsmash, however I can't DI a Utilt by myself, so yeah ^_^ Someone else is going to have to test that.

And that test was on FD, some stages might have a smaller vertical killing range but a larger horizontal killing range thingy... so yeah, just keep in mind Utilt will kill, it's just that Dsmash is a lot more efficient (From what I've tested, if someone DIs it the numbers could be a lot closer... anyone want to test DIed Utilt and DIed Dsmash?)

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
They kill in different directions, which makes a big difference, because some stages have low ceilings or high platforms, but far side boundaries. You can't really judge them against each other imo.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
I've thought about this a loong time ago and really really tried to implement this into my game... but it never worked out before. I don't think it's that effective. Who knows....

Rythe

Smash Journeyman
U-smash kills a little earlier than u-tilt if you're looking for a ceiling KO. The only problem is u-smash's slow startup. Then again, u-tilt is a little on the slow side too, but it's still quicker than u-smash.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
They kill in different directions, which makes a big difference, because some stages have low ceilings or high platforms, but far side boundaries. You can't really judge them against each other imo.
Yes you can, it's simple: On stage X the ceiling is drastically lower than the horizontal killing zone, and thus on stage X Utilt is more effective at killing.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
The killing power is pretty mediocre and it's rather unsafe. The hitbox/priority is pretty solid though. Decent anti-air and I think it'll hit people that roll right behind you.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
It gives Wolf another option if need-be, however, the kill percents are not looking too bright for it to be a reasonable option..

And Turbo, Dsmash is also unsafe against top tier and most of high tier =P

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Dsmash isn't unsafe, mofo.

Utilt is just hard to hit with,that's the major problem. If it was a safer move, it would be a decent replacement

Blazer

Smash Ace
Utilt really isn't worth the effort. To hit with it, you have to be pretty much right on top of the person, facing them, it's laggy afterwards so if you miss you're getting hit hard, and it doesn't kill at low enough percents as people have said.
Maybe using it as a kill move once in a while wouldn't be that bad, but overall, it's not gonna be the next good wolf kill move. Good setup move though, if you can land it.

Blazer

Smash Ace
Just the juggle <_<.
But as one of Wolf's highest hitting moves, it does that well. >_> <_< >_> <_<
LOOK OVER THERE A DISTRACTION!-runs- <_<

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Lol blazer.

This is DEFINITELY nothing new. Everyone else mentioned what the problems with utilt are. Vertically, usmash, utilt, and fair are all more or less on par in terms of vertical kill power. Chances are utilt will be the least stale, but even though its hitbox is very large, it's SO unsafe and situational. Its very well put to use on a stage like halberd though, with a ridiculously low ceiling and platforms.

Basically, we came to this conclusion before: utilt isn't very good nor very safe, and although it is usable, you have plenty of other options that are easier to hit with. Which more or less goes for ALL of wolf's tilts.

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
Retreating F-air's safer and stronger than u-tilt. But with U-tilt having the highest chance of being fresh, I suppose you can give it a try.

Patinator

Smash Champion

Uh-huh.

I seem to recall someone with a Leprechaun avatar saying something about Dedede dying at around 130% on Halberd from a sweet-spotted U-Tilt. Let me go find him...

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Its a decent killing move thats unexpected and comes out fast(?) I don't use it much for killing, unless I used D-Smash a lot

Terodactyl Yelnats

Smash Ace
NNID
Perseids_Tero
Just as said in the Wolf Guide, I like to think of it as a less beefy version of snake's utilt. It's actually about as strong as his bair.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Just as said in the Wolf Guide, I like to think of it as a less beefy version of snake's utilt. It's actually about as strong as his bair.
less beefy? Wolf would be one of the best characters in the game if he had snake's up tilt

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
It's more like, a really bad version of snake's utilt. It has somewhat similar properties, but to a far lesser extent.

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
I use it all the time. Enemies don't see it coming (especially true when compared to dsmash). At best I only use it to KO 1 time a match, as stale moves kicks in.

I find it useful for ending a match that drags on too long. It's less predictable and good at high %.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Yes, utilt can be a kill move at high %, thats one of the main ways I KO with Wolf, surprise them with Utilt, uair works great at the top of the screen, I would suggest that too.

Zen127

Smash Apprentice
Never try Utilt. Especially not to KO. I've never pulled it off. Ever.

The only times Utilt could be used is when your opponent is above you but is also DIing towards you in an air dodge or some sort. This can also be used at low percentages after a 0 Lag Fair or Falling Uair, AND it could be using from under the platforms on Battle field.

Other than those, I don't see any reason why to use Utilt for anything else.

Top Bottom