• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
People seem to be missing a big point here, and I'm going to come off sounding like an ass, rightfully so I feel.

These weeklies in Provo are just a START. I want to have ones set up also for southern SLC area (like Sandy area), and also for SLC itself. Probably further north since there's a good scene for it. And then once a month have a bigger "state" tournament, and then every few months our regionals. So for those saying "start later because it takes me longer to drive", no, we won't. While I do want to accommodate, I'm not going to accommodate everyone to the tee. You'll get your own weekly venue soon, I can promise that, but this needs to happen more according to the locals of Provo, sorry.

Now when you have your own area set up, by all means, do what you want with whoever is in charge of it (because I sure as hell am not). Make it according to your own scene. I'm going to aim to make it $5 at the venue that is nabbed though so people don't complain "this venue is cheaper whine complain ***** moan."

And yes, this is a part of Gamer's Abbey I'm aiming for, for all the competitive gaming needs in Utah. It's just easiest with Smash since you are all amazing (except you Jekyll, damn traitor), and mostly willing to do these things for the scene.

Also, July 26th, mark it on your calendars yo.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
lol im not driving so i can't bring a setup

on topic of slc
In slc we already have an abundance of fests
usually 1-2 a week up here so im on the fence about it
BUT what i am planning in the near future is to start hosting
Bi weeklies at the Kafeneio and also
Tane has shown interest to host a tourney or 2 at his place
so we'll sort that out when he gets back to me
until then we have our fest at tanes and fests at Rjs

Steezy22

Smash Cadet
lol im not driving so i can't bring a setup

on topic of slc
In slc we already have an abundance of fests
usually 1-2 a week up here so im on the fence about it
BUT what i am planning in the near future is to start hosting
Bi weeklies at the Kafeneio and also
Tane has shown interest to host a tourney or 2 at his place
so we'll sort that out when he gets back to me
until then we have our fest at tanes and fests at Rjs
Ya , my basement is pretty spacey and there is a ping pong table to put systems on. I'd have to talk to the roommates bit I'd be down to hold a tourney as well. We have 3 set ups right now.

Last edited:

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys. I am one of the TO at the Neumont Tournaments. Since Superw0rri0 has left me all alone, I figured it was time I joined in on the boards as well. I still plan on holding tournaments at Neumont, and hope to enjoy the company of this awesome community of Smash players!

の 。の Felon

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjaketheman
There was a jacket left at the game den last night, hopefully it belongs to somebody here rather than a game den regular but if it's yours claim it now! If not maybe it's included with the prize for the first tourney ;) (sorry for awful quality I'm too lazy to deal with my actual camera right now.)
jacket.jpg this should expand right?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Thy double & triple posts hast been merg'd. Doth it again and take the full recompense of thy sins from the oppressors with scarlet red & soulless grey names.

etc etc, i have nfi what I'm doing.

Roguay

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys. I am one of the TO at the Neumont Tournaments. Since Superw0rri0 has left me all alone, I figured it was time I joined in on the boards as well. I still plan on holding tournaments at Neumont, and hope to enjoy the company of this awesome community of Smash players!
you are doing god's work son

also when's the next one

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Thy double & triple posts hast been merg'd. Doth it again and take the full recompense of thy sinz from the oppressors with scarlet red & soulless grey names.

etc etc, i have nfi what I'm doing.
Fixed. It

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Keep in mind about Evo coming up. Then again, we could do a smaller tourney/stream fest here in Utah while the people who go to Evo compete.

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman
Alright boys and girls it's time for Pumpinz official smash fest #2

Date:
Saturday June 21st

Times:
Noon-Midnight

PM me for my number if you have any questions.

Pumpinz's official smash fest is accredited by Marz's unofficial official commission of non-accredited smash fests

Last edited:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Alright boys and girls it's time for Pumpinz official smash fest #2

Date:
Saturday June 21st

Times:
Noon-Midnight

Address:
804 Panorama Drive Ogden UT 84403

PM me for my number if you have any questions.

Pumpinz's official smash fest is accredited by Marz's unofficial official commission of non-accredited smash fests
Lolololololololol

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
ok, so rob said we're good for 4pm next week. if we want to do it earlier, rob is ok with that too. so let me know if you want to do it at another time. i just want the tournament to happen after 7pm since many people can't come 'til after. and i don't want people to be burned out by the time the tourney starts.

and speaking of tournaments, rob informed me that cash payouts are illegal here in utah. so all payouts are unofficial and under the table for now. to become legit, we'll have to find ways around the gambling laws of utah. rob said what's typically done is that once we have an idea of how many people will show up consistently, we can buy gift cards or prepaid cards that are essentially like cash to hand out as prizes, but we have to get them prior to the event. and rob also has to pay taxes on the entry fees, so we may have to up the entry fee in the future if we want to actually have decent payouts from the prize pool, but for now, we'll keep it at $5.

so there are a lot of smash things coming up for everyone (@ Pumpinz Pumpinz fest this weekend, game den thing on tuesday), so hopefully you all get your fix for smash this next week. if you don't, then i think you have a problem ;-).

Last edited:

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
July for Gamer's Abbey, not June XD

And I'm going to double check the gambling laws, because I want to say it does barely get under the radar.

EDIT: A gaming tournament wouldn't even fit anywhere near gambling. If he can sufficiently point out how, then sure, but it's not a game if chance, and doesn't have a tracking device attached to it. Plus, all pay the same, and length of okay is determined by skill, not luck. This is based on a brief review of what gambling is considered as, nothing too in depth. Link below.

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/Utah/

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
ah, my bad about the gamer's abbey tourney being next week, i edited my post :-p. and i am not a lawyer, but just because we wish to interpret the law a certain way doesn't mean that it is how the law is processed in real life. considering that rob has participated and hosted many tournaments over the years for tabletop games on many levels (local, regional, and national), i'd be remiss to not listen to him :-p. and he says that there are people who go around (perhaps secret shoppers of some sort) and specifically look for infractions for these laws. maybe the laws do not apply and rob is being extremely cautious, but you can talk to him about it. but for now, and at least for game den stuff, we should err on the side of caution as to not invite legal problems on an already established business ;-).

Last edited:

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
i guess you shouldn't tell him i money matched a minor and a minority at the last fest

tell him it they were just "investments"

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
ah, my bad about the gamer's abbey tourney being next week, i edited my post :-p. and i am not a lawyer, but just because we wish to interpret the law a certain way doesn't mean that it is how the law is processed in real life. considering that rob has participated and hosted many tournaments for tabletop games on many levels (local, regional, and national), i'd be remiss to not listen to him :-p. and he says that there are people who go around (perhaps secret shoppers of some sort) and specifically look for infractions for these laws. maybe the laws do not apply and rob is being extremely cautious, but you can talk to him about it. but for now, and at least for game den stuff, we should err on the side of caution as to not invite legal problems on an already established business ;-).
With the amount of tournaments that are run here in League, Smash, CS, and tons of other games I would say it isn't illegal.

Considering Geeks Expo that did cash prizes.

Yes you cannot bet on who you think is going to win but competing to see who will win is completely different. I've talked to plenty of T.O.s in Utah who have brought this up but this is a nonissue. If this was an issue they would have called people out on it years ago when they were holding tournaments and stuff at convention centers and whatnot. It's not gambling. HELL its even been in the news before too.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Plus Salt Lake Comic Con had a cash prize of the pot money, biggest thing to happen in Utah by far.

But I'll have someone in law research it specifically, because while I do also respect his position, saying this is gambling is far from the truth.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I am in a conversation with Tim right now on facebook but I can't reply D:

Steezy22

Smash Cadet
Thanks everyone for coming! That fest was sick, melee doubles is crazy fast. Shout outs to everyone that brought set ups and big shout outs to those that gave people rides. We will be doing this again!

Last edited:

の 。の Felon

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjaketheman
It would make sense that Rob would interpret it that way, most of the tournaments and such that he does are for card games (I would imagine) where the outcome is much more based upon chance whereas in competitive gaming the outcome is "substantially affected by the skill, knowledge, or dexterity of the player" according to @ Tsuteto Tsuteto 's link. So I think he is just going off what he has had to do in the past though it shouldn't matter to us.....Not that any of this matters since it's getting officially "looked over" by someone in law and regardless I'd rather do whatever Rob wants and be able to continue playing there.

Smoom77

Smash Master
@ Smoom77 Smoom77 nice, houston smasher? were you involved with the smash scene there? the scene in houston would crush our scene here... both in smash and in food ;-).
Haha yeah I was really involved in the brawl community from the beginning of brawl, but just recently started taking Melee seriously. But dude yes, you don't know good texmex/Mexican food until you've been to Houston. I'm gonna miss it.

So like, what exactly is the scene like here? Where is the scene largest and what games? Are there people in Provo? Apparently there were weekly Provo fests or something?

Last edited:
Top Bottom