• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Well you've got me on Ganondorf. Good point.

I still can't see Jiggs being even upper mid tier. Even Hbox doesn't use Jiggs in P:M. He's forced to use Mario if he's playing serious.
Last I saw of HBOX, he always tries to play Mario, but then goes back to Jigglypuff when he loses and realizes that his Jigglypuff is still better. But I haven't watched P:M streams much in the last month or so, so maybe his Mario is better now.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Ya from the matches I've seen, he starts out as Puff, loses, then goes Mario and wins.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Students have the tendency of not wanting to join when they have to 1) pay money and 2) know they'll lose to players who aren't even from their university.

I recommend fostering a competitive smash scene first because if the Neumont players get wrecked at every tourney you host, they won't want to go to the future events.
It's not just tourney's it's school events regardless of having to pay or not

Last edited:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
If people don't want to enter a tournament because they might lose really bad, chances are they're not competitive anyways and will forever remain in scrubdom.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
If people don't want to enter a tournament because they might lose really bad, chances are they're not competitive anyways and will forever remain in scrubdom.
I disagree. Some players have to be eased into it.

I played Melee casually and got wrecked by my friends who used competitive tech. I never stood a chance against them and I had little incentive to improve because I believed my friends would always be better. I didn't participate in any competitive gaming until Brawl was released. I thought that because the game was so new, I would have the opportunity to get a leg up in the competitive scene. Turns out I was right and placed well in several tournaments. If it wasn't for Brawl's release, I may never have tried competitive smash.

"Scrubs" aren't some breed of weaklings. They're just regular people with less incentive than you to improve.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Scrubs aren't some breed of weaklings, but it isn't that they have less incentive. Invariably the unwillingness to commit to bettering yourself or participating in competition always comes down to fear. Perhaps fear that they can't do it, or maybe fear of being ridiculed while being a "noob", or whatever it is. Competition has and will always thrive and push otherwise ordinary people to achieve extraordinary things.

Point is it's rarely the case that people aren't interested in competitive smash, but rather that they're afraid of losing. If it was that they just aren't interested in smash as a competitive game, then I think they wouldn't enjoy playing it with non competitive players, either. If they enjoy the game but don't want to play competitive, they're probably afraid, whether they realize it or not.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
What you're describing applies to everyone to some extent.

All people are dynamic. Some people may approach smash with this fearful mentality but that doesn't exclude them from competitive smash indefinitely. A well known competitive smasher revealed my potential to me. He introduced me to a community that I may not have otherwise participated in. In the 3 months I've been in Utah, I've gotten 2 players into competitive Smash. Two additional players were interested but didn't really have an outlet to improve until we formed a crew. Our crew has been very inviting to "scrubs" whom would otherwise not have the willingness to improve but now are showing promising drive and results.

We were inviting. We didn't shut them down with opinions like "scrubs will always be scrubs".

Actually, at first the group I played smash with here wouldn't play without items on, free-for-all and on banned stages. I persisted and showed them a deeper side to the game.

Last edited:

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
Just a friendly reminder -

At 11:59 PM tonight (or at least by 6:00 AM or so tomorrow morning), each entrance fee option will increase by $5.00. Sign up today to get the lower price - Melee Entry (currently $20, will go up to $25), Brawl Entry (currently, $20, will go up to $25), Melee and Brawl Entry (currently $30, will go up to $35).

Go to the Salt Lake Comic Con website now to register at the lower price! http://saltlakecomiccon.com/fanx-super-smash-bros-tournament/

Somehow the online team didn't understand that the price wasn't increasing until tomorrow. I'll get with them tomorrow and extend the lower price to tomorrow night at midnight.

Last edited:

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
For reals this time ;) -

REMINDER: Today is the last day day for a lower entry to the tournament. After today, the price for entry into a single tournament will increase from $20 to $25, and the price to enter both tournaments will increase from $30 to $35.

Go to the Salt Lake Comic Con website now to register at the lower price - http://saltlakecomiccon.com/fanx-super-smash-bros-tournament/

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
Does anybody know how I could install the Brawl Minus menu/character art on regular Brawl? I want to do that. I think the drawings of the characters are ****ing hysterical lolz.

ThePoophandler

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna be a Neutral Milk Hotel until late tonight but I'd like to try to smash after. Trying to practice up for Colorado.If anyone is down shoot me a text. 80one 39oh 515eight

Also, never post your number(###-###-#####) on this site, you will instantly get spam calls.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Does anybody know how I could install the Brawl Minus menu/character art on regular Brawl? I want to do that. I think the drawings of the characters are ****ing hysterical lolz.
there should be a b- folder called portriat or something, just copy paste that folder over and the file replacement code should do the rest

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
I'm gonna be a Neutral Milk Hotel until late tonight but I'd like to try to smash after. Trying to practice up for Colorado.If anyone is down shoot me a text. 80one 39oh 515eight

Also, never post your number(###-###-#####) on this site, you will instantly get spam calls.
hmmmm that's funny cuz I never have. Maybe that's the power of metropcs cuz it's already a piece of junk phone

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
there should be a b- folder called portriat or something, just copy paste that folder over and the file replacement code should do the rest
I can't find the specific menu files for it in the brawl minus download. I put in the Xyless version of the CSS (the one I wanted initially) via the system folder which made the Xyless CSS load correctly, but if you try to go back from that menu it freezes the goddamn wii. -_-

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
It's because you weren't here to keep them around.

Tane: Just clarifying, you're trying load JUST the character images, correct? And how are you trying to load it? Gecko, Riivolution, or SD Card method?

Top Bottom