• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman
While we're on the debate train, let's talk TVs. I'm going to link an article, then state my opinion.

http://meleeiton.me/2014/03/27/this-tv-lags-a-guide-on-input-and-display-lag/

I really can't explain the facts any better than that. With technology at it's stage concurrently, having this whole thing of "No HDs, CRTs only, Final Destination" is kind of ridiculous. Any amount of "delay" someone could possibly experience is so minimal that the greater part of it is simply their own issue, not a technological stand point. Why is this important to someone like me? Provisions. I can't provide full set ups for tournaments to make it easier for you guys to just come and compete if for some reason there's this - to put it bluntly - idiotic view that playing on anything but a CRT isn't competitive.

The facts are there, and solid, and for 99.2% of you isn't going to affect ANYTHING that you do. So why the continued "hate" over something so trivial nowadays? Is there any valid argument as to why the community must be stuck in the past? Hell, I'm willing to throw in the money to have you guys extensively test this out yourselves to get over the pointless fear of such a ridiculous issue.
I agree that the BenQ monitors that they talk about in that article are completely viable but your average LCD or LED monitor is not. I think the point the article is trying to make is that people shouldn't be complaining about venues that use them such as EVO or MLG. He isn't trying to persuade all the local tournies to start using them over CRTs because they simply too expensive.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I do not mind paying for the low lag monitors like BenQ or an Asus. That's my job as a tournament organizer, is to get the high quality products, not something cheap. The only possible concern I could have is if I used, say, a Wii2HDMI if that would introduce any lag, but given the fact that going through an LGP to convert to HDMI doesn't, I would doubt such a thing would either, but that's something that can be researched too.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Alright..... After playing around with Mario in pm I am finally convinced that Mario is a boss with his FAir being his Achilles knee. Oh and his fireballs are janky.

Last edited:

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Though I'm heading up that way, probably not, since I have to get to the FanX meeting, then work, then home about 7ish

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I can't really get there, since my car is out of gas right now, and I don't have the money to fill up. I might be able to get some money, but a ride would be the best. Let me know, Kenny.

Snuzz

Smash Rookie
Hey, first time postin'. I met a few of you guys at the tourney in Orem last week. Everyone was super chill! Hopefully I'll make it to the fest tomorrow, so I figured I'd better say hello.

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
I'm going to post my own tier list, mostly just to see what input you guys have to offer.

Fox
Zelda
Lucas
Wolf
Mario
Falco
Ivysaur

High

Sonic
Snake
Squirtle
Roy
Marth
Mewtwo

Upper Mid

Ike
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Metaknight
Lucario
Captain Falcon
King Dedede
R.O.B.
Toon Link

Mid

Wario
Ganondorf
Charizard
Sheik
Zero Suit Samus
Pikachu
Bowser
Luigi
Samus

Low

Diddy Kong
Ice Climbers
Yoshi
Peach
Mr. Game & Watch
Ness

Bottom

Jigglypuff
Olimar

Thoughts?

Last edited:

net1234

Smash Ace
I'm going to post my own tier list, mostly just to see what input you guys have to offer.

Zelda
Lucas
Fox
Wolf
Mario
Falco
Ivysaur

High

Sonic
Snake
Squirtle
Roy
Marth
Mewtwo

Upper Mid

Ike
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Metaknight
Lucario
Captain Falcon
King Dedede
R.O.B.
Toon Link

Mid

Wario
Ganondorf
Charizard
Sheik
Zero Suit Samus
Pikachu
Bowser
Luigi
Samus

Low

Diddy Kong
Ice Climbers
Yoshi
Peach
Mr. Game & Watch
Ness

Bottom

Jigglypuff
Olimar

Thoughts?
fox is undeniably the best character in the game when played perfectly

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Wat Doc punch is amazing.
It's not necessarily bad but in practice it's bitten me in the ass... Here's why:

It's half meteor smash and half punch. What if I want the punch and instead I get the smash or vice versa? As a doc player I see no reason to have the meteor smash outside of combos and even then there are better options if I want to start/continue a combo.

Last edited:

net1234

Smash Ace
It's not necessarily bad but in practice it's bitten me in the ***... Here's why:

It's half meteor smash and half punch. What if I want the punch and instead I get the smash or vice versa? As a doc player I see no reason to have the meteor smash outside of combos and even then there are better options if I want start/continue a combo.
i see no reason falcos upsmash should have a sourspot either it would be a better move without it...
xD i think its a balancing thing no one likes the meteor smash

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
Just learn the timing so you hit the kill move each time. It doesn't take too long.

Btw sorry for the double post back there. It said the first time that it failed to post. I guess not.

Last edited:

Tomacawk

Smash Master
**** just came up. if this goes late i will be there (8pm or later?) but my afternoon just got snagged

Last edited:

Roguay

Smash Journeyman

Fox
Zelda
Lucas
Wolf
Mario
Falco
Ivysaur

High

Sonic
Snake
Squirtle
Roy
Marth
Mewtwo

Upper Mid

Ike
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Metaknight
Lucario
Captain Falcon
King Dedede
R.O.B.
Toon Link

Mid

Wario
Ganondorf
Charizard
Sheik
Zero Suit Samus
Pikachu
Bowser
Luigi
Samus

Low

Diddy Kong
Ice Climbers
Yoshi
Peach
Mr. Game & Watch
Ness

Bottom

Jigglypuff
Olimar

Thoughts?
closest i've seen to a list i agree with

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Just learn the timing so you hit the kill move each time. It doesn't take too long.

Btw sorry for the double post back there. It said the first time that it failed to post. I guess not.
Assuming we can perfectly space that move every time then yes it's fine but we make mistakes.

I can spend all the practicing it but there will come a time where I'll miss.

Then you can easily say. "Just get good" but if it was just a straight up punch or meteor smash that mistake wouldn't be made. All in all it just now requires more skill and fine tuning to get what you want.

IMO I would rather have a straight up move instead of a half and half move. Also I think the meteor smash is useless compared to the punch. Doubly so since you can meteor cancel.

Last edited:

Roguay

Smash Journeyman
Assuming we can perfectly space that move every time then yes it's fine but we make mistakes.

I can spend all the practicing it but there will come a time where I'll miss.

Then you can easily say. "Just get good" but if it was just a straight up punch or meteor smash that mistake wouldn't be made. All in all it just now requires more skill and fine tuning to get what you want.

IMO I would rather have a straight up move instead of a half and half move. Also I think the meteor smash is useless compared to the punch. Doubly so since you can meteor cancel.
half and half move is more interesting and does more for the depth of the character

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
half and half move is more interesting and does more for the depth of the character
Again I disagree.... It's my opinion and I think it's stupid.... I understand why they did it and it's fine but if I were to design the character this is not what I would do

Top Bottom