• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
The whole scene of theirs did do something, though, and that was to actually sign up for the tournament and enter. Smash, on the other hand, has only Seph officially entered, the last time I checked... The whole point I was trying to make was that people here should be signing up to show that they are committed into making the event grow, and with numbers comes more numbers. I guess you just missed the point... <_<

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
You said that you'd be able to easily find 8 people and run it yourself, before, right? Then why don't you contact Lucas and tell him that you're actually commited, instead of wishing for magic like a lot of people here (although with you being a MLP fan, wishing for magic isn't surprising... XD).

Don't reward him for being lazy... <_<
Committed*
I could easily get 8 people, but it would need a lot more than that to be successful is the problem. Im still willing to run it, but I dont know if I could get enough to warrant out of state people showing up is the problem. And I dont see how im 'wishing' for anything, I just said Id only go if Allstars was there.

The fact that you are not willing to support your own scene is really sad.
I dont even go to normal tournaments anymore lol. I literally have 0 competitive drive for smash atm. Its not that Im not willing to support the scene, its that nothing at the Salt Fest interests me.

And Smash is dying atm because Brawl itself is dying atm. And our future is fine, Smash 4 is coming out around the end of the year and that will EASILY bring the scene back, so Im not worried in the slightest.

And I dont know what it is with you guys and assuming you know my reasoning for what I say lol.

pc you act like the whole scene got jwong to go
salt fest just waved a bunch of money in his face
and hes was like "im in"
^ This. This is a big thing in Utah for TRADITIONAL FIGHTERS, but atm this really isnt anything special for Smash outside of just another tournament with a higher price tag. There are NO out of states confirmed, NO big names, NOTHING for smash. Now, Im not saying that we cant make that happen, but if we wanted to we could just do our own thing for much less and invite the same people.
And Im not saying dont go, by all means it would be awesome for Smash if you COULD get more people to come and made it a big thing, but atm it isnt anything special for us AT ALL and there is no denying that. By all means, I encourage making this a big event and getting more people to come, but Im just not personally interested.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
i agree with zz this time

and last i checked the last couple monthlies we actually been pulling the attendants
what did SF get like 6 people entered???

brawl has been consistently getting more than 10 bar the last one

15 ppp master race
dat page number

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I could easily get 8 people, but it would need a lot more than that to be successful is the problem. Im still willing to run it, but I dont know if I could get enough to warrant out of state people showing up is the problem. And I dont see how im 'wishing' for anything, I just said Id only go if Allstars was there.
The fact that you could actually start one yourself, but is too lazy to, and would only support it if someone else does it for you is pretty sad. For a game that you seem to obsess over so much, you sure don't seem to care that much.
I know you just said that you'll be willing to run it, but then you also said that you won't go unless there's All Stars, so that's pretty pointless to say. Ultimately, your attendance boils down to whether you'll run it or not, but you seem so set on not attending that it seems like you don't want to run it, which is a little contradictory.

And Smash is dying atm because Brawl itself is dying atm. And our future is fine, Smash 4 is coming out around the end of the year and that will EASILY bring the scene back, so Im not worried in the slightest.
You actually think Smash 4 will come out around the end of 2013? It took over 1.5 years after Brawl first had a trailer at E3 of 2006 for it to be released. We'll be lucky if it's released by the end of 2014.

and last i checked the last couple monthlies we actually been pulling the attendants
what did SF get like 6 people entered???
Last I heard, unless I'm remember the numbers wrong, Street Fighter already has over 50 people confirmed for Salt Fest. They are showing support when it matters, to say the least.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
The fact that you could actually start one yourself, but is too lazy to, and would only support it if someone else does it for you is pretty sad. For a game that you seem to obsess over so much, you sure don't seem to care that much.
I know you just said that you'll be willing to run it, but then you also said that you won't go unless there's All Stars, so that's pretty pointless to say. Ultimately, your attendance boils down to whether you'll run it or not, but you seem so set on not attending that it seems like you don't want to run it, which is a little contradictory.
I said Ill run it if its there, but I know there wont be enough people going to warrant having it there. Since there wont be any out of state players for the game, due to the small entrants list, Id be better off running it elsewhere instead of there to save money, and it would go smoother, faster, wed be able to do our own thing, and wed only have like, 4 less people. Thats what Im saying.

No out of state players for your game at Salt Fest = super expensive local. Might as well freelance it, which I already do and have lots of experience in to save tons of money.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I do agree with ZZ's concern about Salt Fest being an overpriced local. We need to see if we can leverage it to make it more popular. UST5 was fantastic not only because of the Arizona players that came up but the huge number of locals that showed up. New faces from all over appeared and had exposure to competitive smash. We need to either go all out (and do some advertising) or just host a local.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I'm going to talk to AZ and Las Vegas about coming, and we've already mentioned it to CO. I don't see why we couldn't turn this into a big regional with OoS support.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
Hey there guys ^^ I'm thinking about visiting Utah to see a friend this summer. What better way to plan for a vacation than get to know the smashers in the area who are so graciously going to hold a smashfest to test my skills (>.> <.< maybe?)

I play melee/Project M. Probably going to stalk these boards for a bit and try to figure out the area. How active is the smash scene in Utah anyways?

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
If 32 people sign up for Brawl by March 22nd, so about a month. We'll throw in a $250 pot bonus in addition to the pot bonus table we already have on the website. Let's do this guys http://www.saltfest.org/registration.html We'll offer the same thing for Melee as well.

*Edit* Also please note that if we get a lot of people signed up to play, certain tournaments may run over the course of two days. Please keep that in mind if you're deciding on purchasing a single day badge.

I highly suggest a supporter badge as that's only $5 more and gets you in to the convention for all three days.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Yeah, it'd be awesome if multiple states attended. We should push for that. I'm prepared to offer free housing to OoS smashers too.

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
I do agree with ZZ's concern about Salt Fest being an overpriced local. We need to see if we can leverage it to make it more popular. UST5 was fantastic not only because of the Arizona players that came up but the huge number of locals that showed up. New faces from all over appeared and had exposure to competitive smash. We need to either go all out (and do some advertising) or just host a local.
Salt fest is a Major, not a local. It will be an annual event and grow each year. In fact it could easily be as big as apex if people cared to make it so.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Salt fest is a Major. Not a local. It will be annually and grow each year. In fact it could easily be as big as apex if people cared to make it so.
That is a pretty serious claim. I'd love it people wanted to travel to Utah for the big smash tournament. :]

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Each time I login, I notice subtle changes to the template. It's getting better.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Hey there guys ^^ I'm thinking about visiting Utah to see a friend this summer. What better way to plan for a vacation than get to know the smashers in the area who are so graciously going to hold a smashfest to test my skills (>.> <.< maybe?)

I play melee/Project M. Probably going to stalk these boards for a bit and try to figure out the area. How active is the smash scene in Utah anyways?
When are you planning on coming here? It'd be great if it was during the 2nd weekend of May, since that's when our big regional tournament is, but I have a feeling you mean closer to July by "this summer". The Smash scene here isn't very big, and Melee is the weaker of the two, unfortunately. Also, I'm a huge supporter of Project:M, and I've been trying to get people to play Project:M here, but due to how the scene here is, they are not going to try and become serious with it until it becomes big first... <_< So P:M is only played casually here if someone (which is pretty much always me LOL) happens to bring it.
Anyway, when you come to Utah, I'll certainly try to meet up with you to play some of Melee/P:M. I'm sure TheBuzzSaw would be willing to host a fest at his place for you if he's not busy.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
When are you planning on coming here? It'd be great if it was during the 2nd weekend of May, since that's when our big regional tournament is, but I have a feeling you mean closer to July by "this summer". The Smash scene here isn't very big, and Melee is the weaker of the two, unfortunately. Also, I'm a huge supporter of Project:M, and I've been trying to get people to play Project:M here, but due to how the scene here is, they are not going to try and become serious with it until it becomes big first... <_< So the P:M is only played casually here if someone (which is pretty much always me LOL) happens to bring it.
Anyway, when you come to Utah, I'll certainly try to meet up with you to play some of Melee/P:M. I'm sure TheBuzzSaw would be willing to host a fest at his place for you if he's not busy.
Welp, I'll be bringing my wii as well ^^. P:M too stronk. I'm not entirely sure when I'm coming but i might actually be staying anywhere from a week to a year. Probably the latter. I've been moving around from year to year to test out different areas ^^, so I'm sure we'd have time to play. Anyways I'm willing to play some brawl at smashfests too if that's what the scene does, just never lived in a brawl centric area. I'll probably post in here once in a while and stalk you guys so I can figure out who's who before i show up ^^. Who knows, maybe I'll use my vacation time to visit before the regional. My friend who lives in utah has a bday like 2 days after that tourney ^^.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Does your friend play Smash? I'm assuming he (or is it a "she") at least plays some sort of competitive game, so if he hasn't heard, perhaps you can mention Salt Fest to him, if you haven't already.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
I've got a few friends there, but none of them are smashers, more LoL. They plan on learning melee though ^^ Probably no salt fest sadly, but they should be ready by the next iteration of it ^^

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I've got a few friends there, but none of them are smashers, more LoL. They plan on learning melee though ^^ Probably no salt fest sadly, but they should be ready by the next iteration of it ^^
Salt Fest has a League of Legends event, too, so if they feel like lugging their computers there, they can enter. XD

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
It sounds fun, there's a good chance i'll have to make next year's, but not this one =c. I wouldn't mind getting to know some of the smashers in the area before I visit, in fact if i know some i'll be more tempted to move to utah ^^. If anyone wants to play league and get to know me add "cactuarz" on LoL/skype. I'm a support player, high silver.

Also, i want to make salt fest, but i'll have to pull some strings with my job letting me off work/plane tickets/rooming over in Utah. It's a fairly low chance of happening but I'll look into it anyways ^^.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
"This is to participate in the SSBM tournament. Please note that you MUST purchase a Three Day Badge or Badge of the Gods in order to play in the tournament."

are you *sure* that if I buy a one day pass I can play this melee tournament?
no disrespect meant but I'll be god damned if I pool money to support anime culture...I'll do it for a melee tournament though
I just wanna play some god damn melee

also PC is right, you realize how stupid it is to pretend that you support something but be unwilling to do anything about it
**** your words, **** your money, take time out of your busy days of jerking off and gaining weight at your computer to make ACTION for causes that deserve your time, whether it be revitalizing a comp. game scene, activism, volunteering at an animal shelter, whatever
why not make a change in your life? it's not that hard to become who you are

with that said I have two job interviews on Wednesday so I'm probably staying in SLC

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
just saying how am I supposed to pay 50+ bucks to play one melee tournament when that money is supporting a bunch of **** I don't care about
if you CAN get a one day pass for the tournament then I'm down (which day is it on?) but the website specifically said you MUST buy a three day or god pass or whatever, which I quoted in my previous post

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
50 bucks for a melee tourney? better be a national for that price. Especially if you don't feel like walking around con land for a day or two. aren't the one day passes for something like that going to be 25 bucks still?

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
yeah but the website specifically said you MUST buy a three day pass at minimum to participate in a tournament
which is why I'm irked

anybody wanna play some melee today I'm showered, shaved, so fresh and so clean. hittin dat j'wongs for lunch and then I'd love to smash
tane i forgot your irl name, but you rocky (pretty sure that's your name) and devon should play
it was a lot of fun, plus dat hookah

holy **** I'm gunna be smoking weed again so soon. job interview->piss test->get blasted. who wants to hook me up with a good dealer in the area?
I will find a guy when I hit the emancipator concert in march but that's a few weeks away

Rockmix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rockmix
yeah but the website specifically said you MUST buy a three day pass at minimum to participate in a tournament
which is why I'm irked

anybody wanna play some melee today I'm showered, shaved, so fresh and so clean. hittin dat j'wongs for lunch and then I'd love to smash
tane i forgot your irl name, but you rocky (pretty sure that's your name) and devon should play
it was a lot of fun, plus dat hookah

holy **** I'm gunna be smoking weed again so soon. job interview->piss test->get blasted. who wants to hook me up with a good dealer in the area?
I will find a guy when I hit the emancipator concert in march but that's a few weeks away
Your going to emancipator? I might be going if I can get the money in time. I would smash but have no gas money to get up to salt lake today, tomorrow I can.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
Your going to emancipator? I might be going if I can get the money in time. I would smash but have no gas money to get up to salt lake today, tomorrow I can.
**** yeah man. its emancipator and little people and another band that's probably kickass. i'm stoked.
that reminds me I oughtta buy my tickets...
alright forreal tho I'm off to get DAT chinese food so hit me up for melee

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Nah son I ain't hooking you up with no weed u talk stuff on my anime and then call us fat jerk offs f u bruh

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
Salt Fest has a League of Legends event, too, so if they feel like lugging their computers there, they can enter. XD
You don't have to bring a computer to play in the League tournament. They're being provided.

I'm also trying to figure out where you guys are getting a prices of $50+ to get into Salt Fest? I mean really now, don't spread blatantly false information:
1. You may purchase a one day badge, parts of the website are being rewritten and we missed a few pages. However, if the tournament gets huge it will run multiple days.
2. A three day badge is $30, we're still not at $50+ here.
3. It costs $10 to participate in a tournament, it's still not $50 unless you plan on entering three or more tournaments and purchase a three day badge.
4. We're offering an additional $250 pot bonus if 32 of you guys sign up by March 22nd, this doesn't include what's already on the website. So tell me, how are we only supporting anime when this is a video game convention? The catch to get the pot bonus is the same as any of the other events. Buy a badge and register for your tournament(s), done.
5. Want to bring a set up or a console? You can get in for all three days for just $20. We're only offering this for Smash Brothers players specifically because we do not have any way to get enough consoles to run the tournaments other than having people support by bringing stuff.
6. The pot bonus doesn't stop there. The tier 1 pot bonus is to get support from you guys, the locals. If we can achieve our goal we'll have a $550 dollar pot for Smash and it will get the people you want, out of state players, from nearby states to start heavily considering coming to our event.
7. I can't believe I have to say this but Salt Fest is stupid cheap for a regional. Any other tournament you go to that's like Salt Fest will typically cost $35 and your tournament entry fee ($45) and all that gets you is access to an event that literally gives you nothing but the ability to play video games. No voice actors, music, events, exhibitor booth, or anything else that we're providing and it still costs the same amount or more, even if you don't care about the things I still listed we charge the same or less than other regionals/majors.

Top Bottom