• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Tomacawk

Smash Master
d-d-d-d-devon-sama...
between pacman and megaman surely i'll be able to enjoy this game, sakurai pls

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Double post cuz this is somewhat important. TO ALL YOU GUYS who were complaining about no dashdancing, look at this **** right here at 48 seconds:

Undeniable proof dashdancing is in the game.

Now, go on with your day.

OkamiFur

Smash Cadet
NNID
OkamiFur
I'll be at Best Buy around 5:00. I'm going to be bringing a couple friends along with me. I'm brand new to these boards and I don't know what any of you look like, but I'm sure I'll stick out like a sore thumb. I'll be the one in a maroon button down shirt wearing a black tie and black suit pants. It would be pretty rad to me a few of ya.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Double post cuz this is somewhat important. TO ALL YOU GUYS who were complaining about no dashdancing, look at this **** right here at 48 seconds:

Undeniable proof dashdancing is in the game.

Now, go on with your day.
That is definitely dash dancing

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
That is definitely dash dancing
Even if it's dash dancing, the range with which you can do it in is too small to make a difference. It just makes it look like your character is spinning around. Find all the small pieces of proof you want, but the fact stands: If this dashdancing was anything to get excited over, it would've been used by the pros in the invitational.

There's still hope though. All I'm asking for is better dash mechanics and slightly more hitstun. It seemed like there were ALMOST followups for so many moves, but the hitstun ended just before they could get the followup.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Small dash dancing is still useful. Given not as useful as say Melee Falcon's godlike dash dance but still. If it weren't for tripping I would use it all the time in Brawl. When I do a down throw with doc and I know 100% they're forced to tech or land then roll... I will dash dance really fast making my dash dance very small as a little way to keep them guessing so they won't know what I'm thinking/doing. Either way, from watching Zero play Zero Suit in the finals, it looked like turn around dash was pretty fast... the game is very mobile it just seems it's mobile in different ways.

But i do agree with you on the whole hitstun/follow up... it seemed like they were just frames away from getting a follow up but couldn't. It could just be they weren't really used to the game right away. For example, there was one part where Zero had a really easy follow up off of a grab or side b on HBox but dashed a little to far and missed his up air. But there were moments where Zero got a dash attack on HBox and it seemed like he should have had a follow up but just barely didn't have enough time. Then there was that one moment where PewPewU got that godlike combo with Mario so it seems like the game just needs some tweaking.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Thats also assuming thats the only length at which a dancedash can be done, if you listen to the control stick clicks, he only attempted it that one time, its not lile he attempted a slower one and failed it previous. Also, foxtrot dashdancing is still in and its VERY viable on characters with good dash animations (like Fox hence the name) even in Brawl, just Brawl was very slow and defensive meaning, while it was a useful offensive option, playing defensive in Brawl was the better choice 99% of the time so it wasnt used much.

Last edited:

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
Small dash dancing is still useful. Given not as useful as say Melee Falcon's godlike dash dance but still. If it weren't for tripping I would use it all the time in Brawl. When I do a down throw with doc and I know 100% they're forced to tech or land then roll... I will dash dance really fast making my dash dance very small as a little way to keep them guessing so they won't know what I'm thinking/doing. Either way, from watching Zero play Zero Suit in the finals, it looked like turn around dash was pretty fast... the game is very mobile it just seems it's mobile in different ways.

But i do agree with you on the whole hitstun/follow up... it seemed like they were just frames away from getting a follow up but couldn't. It could just be they weren't really used to the game right away. For example, there was one part where Zero had a really easy follow up off of a grab or side b on HBox but dashed a little to far and missed his up air. But there were moments where Zero got a dash attack on HBox and it seemed like he should have had a follow up but just barely didn't have enough time. Then there was that one moment where PewPewU got that godlike combo with Mario so it seems like the game just needs some tweaking.
If that's what you do after landing a Dthrow as Doc I suggest you stop. He's too slow to be able to react to techs, so you need to just make a read.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
I really only do it if they take their time to get back up. I don't do it all the time. I also do it with Sheik and Pichu.....

Crap... should't have revealed my secret secondary! Lol.... i'm not even gonna be here anyway so whatevs... I've been working on Pichu as a secondary... why... cause I fricken can!

Also... Doc can react to techs fairly well... just not as well as others.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
A foxtrot is like a longer distance slightly slower dashdance. (like one back and forth foxtrot takes as much time as like 2 back and forth melee dashdaces, also they can be mixed together which is kewl) Not every character has a useful one, but characters with a fast and long distance initial dash like Fox can get a lot out of it.

Last edited:

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
That's pretty cool.... i should learn it in Brawl

One thing that I'm curious about is if there is B-Reversal... anybody see any confirms or deconfirms on that?

Last edited:

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Small dash dances definitely have lots of uses. Anyone who says they're not doesn't know what they're talking about/hasn't even tried applying it.
Fox trotting is doing just the initial dash animation and you return to a neutral stance and can do tilts/smashes/etc or dash back/forward making it basically a slower dash dance where you can do anything out of it.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
That's pretty cool.... i should learn it in Brawl

One thing that I'm curious about is if there is B-Reversal... anybody see any confirms or deconfirms on that?
It would almost be impossible not to have b reversal in the game

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
What surprises me is that on ethe MeleeItOnMe article they didn't mention B Reversal at all... which is weird because there's one Brawl god and like 3 other Brawl players not to mention how many of them played PM as well so you'd think they would check if it's in there

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Small dash dances definitely have lots of uses. Anyone who says they're not doesn't know what they're talking about/hasn't even tried applying it.
Fox trotting is doing just the initial dash animation and you return to a neutral stance and can do tilts/smashes/etc or dash back/forward making it basically a slower dash dance where you can do anything out of it.

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
Oh that's right, I just have no idea what I'm talking about because someone disagrees with me.

I want to hear these uses first.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
That wasn't actually directed at anyone in particular, but if you really actually don't see any uses for it I'll give you a rundown when I'm not at work.

Or you could just play me in brawl and watch how much it can add to mind games and forcing your opponent into options.

Edit: and reading your response, I'm guessing you took my post as more of an insult when that wasn't the intention at all. All I really meant was that they probably don't have any experience of actually trying to apply brawl's short dash dance which definitely has it's uses and anyone who does use it knows what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
In other words... he was responding without trying to be an asshole but he worded it in a way which could be taken as assholish but really he didn't mean to be an asshole

But ya... short dash dance does have it's uses...

I for one am excited about the new hidden mechanics that Smash 4 can bring to us... kind of like how Brawl gave us dacus and b reversal

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
everyone who is at best buy now/will be going today, please report your impressions/discoveries. how is the movement? how is the edge game? any chain-grabbing? any combos besides up-tilt/up-air strings? is there a good balance between offensive/defensive play? it seems like lag has been introduced to a lot of things. any discoveries on if there're any ways to cancel the lag? what has transferred from previous iterations, and what hasn't? find anything new that wasn't in a previous smash game? looking forward to hearing everyone's impressions... except @ Death Arcana Death Arcana ... i already know you like anything/everything and that everyone needs to stop complaining and smash4 is the future and there's no reason to keep playing a prehistoric game and people who don't like brawl as much as me are stupid... blah blah blah ;-) ;-).

edit: but seriously @ Death Arcana Death Arcana , with your knowledge/experience of both melee and brawl, you could explore the game like crazy. if you could actually come up with a critique that would improve smash4 (no game is perfect), i would be so happy ^_^!

Last edited:

OkamiFur

Smash Cadet
NNID
OkamiFur
I just got to Best Buy and I'm already giving up. I don't know if I'm interested in waiting four hours to play for a couple minutes. Sorry guys.

Skull Kid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chuggbert
3DS FC
0748-3351-1612
That's why I didn't even bother going, despite the fact that I work a couple blocks away. I don't feel like there will be any real chance for exploration or analysis. :/ I think I'll buy it on faith and try to learn it for whatever it happens to be.

OkamiFur

Smash Cadet
NNID
OkamiFur
Is anyone going to be there later tonight? I'm hoping it will calm down a bit around 8:00 or so. Maybe there will be a better chance of getting to play. I mostly just want to maybe meet a couple of the gamers on these boards that play Melee and/or Brawl.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
ya, the lines to play a two-minute ffa were to be expected. that's how it was when they did it for brawl from what i heard. but hopefully the local smashers found each other so they can try things out on each other together rather than worrying about some random person going for the ko. but ya, maybe there's not enough time to learn too much, i'll set my expectations to an appropriate level to not expect too much new insight :-p.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Im not even going to try to win, im just going to try and learn as much as i can about the game physics and moveset of my character.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Im not even going to try to win, im just going to try and learn as much as i can about the game physics and moveset of my character.
So who is your character?

As for me I'm too busy to go today... I really want to go Saturday but if I do someone will have to give me a ride. I can't move my car until I leave.

Last edited:

Skull Kid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chuggbert
3DS FC
0748-3351-1612
Well if anybody is there now, I can walk down... I'm without a car for about an hour anyway.

Top Bottom