• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Damn dude, that ZSS vs Kirby made me moist, ITS LIKE BRAWL BUT FASTER!!

Yus

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
not gonna lie, i thought zero was gonna take grand finals easily with his solid brawl fundamentals and seeing his performance in the early rounds, but hungrybox held his own and was kinda robbed of the win by zero's keep away at the end. i thought it was still fun to watch regardless though.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
At least my top 4 prediction was somewhat close lol. I predicted:
1. aMSa
2. Zero
3. Hungrybox
4. PewPewU

3 of them are actually top 4, so not bad!

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
man, so there's no edge-hogging, no ledge regrab invulnerability, no dash-dancing (dashing options in general seems nerfed), no dacus, di is nerfed, etc. definitely seems like they took away a lot of mechanics. it seems like there's increased hitstun to bring back some combo game, but there also seems to be a lot of move lag as well, so they might cancel each other out. so i assume that means that knowledge of the brawl meta game will transfer more than knowledge of the melee meta game. but there might be enough changes that a completely new meta is formed. we'll see, i guess.

can the people who are going to best buy tomorrow please try to play with people who are willing to explore the game rather than go for the ko?! no one cares if you win an unpolished beta version of a game ;-). we want info ^_^''!

Last edited:

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
I'm going to flip my wallet....open and then go angrily buy some Amiibos.
I can actually imagine what this would look like

Ok... on the whole dash dancing thing.... hungry box in one of the FFA matches did a brawl dash dance.... I'm sure of it

Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
from the Q n A:

A competitive Smash player is trying to challenge Sakurai to see if he can win and help balance the game. Sakurai asked "have you ever made a game?"

lololololol (but seriously, i hope he takes that challenge)

not to be a ******** but this game seems hella basic.
well it took the community a while to figure out melee, and it took a while to figure out brawl to

I think the edge hogging thing could actually be pretty deep. I mean you're now forced into only stylish edgeguards lol. Also di being nerfed might make longer movestrings a thing, maybe, still sad to hear it though.

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand why people are saying this is exactly like Brawl or that it's Brawl 2.0. It's clearly not in the shown footage. Did anyone see those fox utilt strings? The game hasn't even been released yet. It certainly isn't as fast as melee but it is faster than Brawl. At any rate, we won't know for sure until we get our hands on the game.

On a less serious note, that Megaman FS was the one of the hypest things I've ever been a part of.

net1234

Smash Ace
I don't understand why people are saying this is exactly like Brawl or that it's Brawl 2.0. It's clearly not in the shown footage. Did anyone see those fox utilt strings? The game hasn't even been released yet. It certainly isn't as fast as melee but it is faster than Brawl. At any rate, we won't know for sure until we get our hands on the game.

On a less serious note, that Megaman FS was the one of the hypest things I've ever been a part of.
fox has uptilt strings in brawl xD

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
yeah, i agree that all the changes don't necessarily mean that there's less depth to the game, but just that we'll have to learn a new game. i wish they had the "add; don't subtract" mentality. it seems like it's easier from a developer perspective and from a player perspective, but if they want to keep reinventing smash, that's up to them, and it's up to the players to determine if they want to adopt and adapt :-p.

@ Tacblack Tacblack for me, i don't care about speed, i care about options. with more options, comes more choices, and deeper meta. if mario kart had no items and no opponents, how much would you continue to play the game once you memorized the best way to run a track? variability adds to the replay value. so when you take away options, you take away opportunities to get better and reduce the lasting power of a game (does anyone still play tic-tac-toe after they've figured the game out?). once again, that's not to say that the latest smash indeed has fewer options than brawl or melee, but just that the options seem different and we won't have the ability to transfer knowledge.

Last edited:

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
fox has uptilt strings in brawl xD
Haha. I know but it looked like it wasn't as easily DI'd is what I mean. I swear there's more hitstun in general. I also swear I saw Hbox dash dance after he took the first stock from Zero but I'm not completely sure.

net1234

Smash Ace
no h8 tho, im just saying anyone who thinks this is gonna be good is wrong and is just a sm4sh noob who shud play melee cuz wavedashing.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Alright guys.... so here's the verdict for me being here in Utah.

I'm gonna be leaving.

I might be leaving for only a year and coming back to continue my education but that depends on how well my grades are in the next few days.

Either way I'm gonna be heading back to California and kicking butt over there. It was great playing and hanging with you guys. I was introduced to the scene be Devon and ever since then you guys have been nothing but awesome to me. As my first year of competitive smash, I can say I wouldn't want it to be any other way and I felt through this community I have grown both as a player and a person.

I'm probably gonna be leaving this weekend on either on Saturday or Sunday and it would be awesome if we had a fest some time on either Friday or Saturday.

In regards to Smash Jam and Neumont tournaments, they'll still be going on but just not run by me. I'll make sure that my predecessor, who is the president of our club, will make them even more awesome than before.

Anyways.... thanks for an awesome year, I hope to be back, and I'll make sure to show those Cali scrubs why Utah smash kicks ass!
Btw.... you guys might see me on SSS at some point :D

Last edited:

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi

Fox Utilt strings were in Brawl, too.

I think as of today's gameplay that was shown, yes, it's Brawl 2.0 and nobody can deny that. However, I heard from a lot of players in attendance who were specifically asked by Nintendo reps for thoughts on the game, even taking time to write down what they replied with. The game's release has been pushed back, and I believe Sakurai is open to our voices. Don't judge it yet, we'll just have to wait until release.

Oh, and I'm gonna be Utah's #1 Palutena.

Last edited:

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
no h8 tho, im just saying anyone who thinks this is gonna be good is wrong and is just a sm4sh noob who shud play melee cuz wavedashing.
you're soo good at trolling dude
WE DON'T EVEN KNOW YOUR TROLLING

anyway its just a beta demo
im not set on much yet
except that it looks great atm
and hey patches are a thing now

GGs
and MM

Last edited:

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
Alright guys.... so here's the verdict for me being here in Utah.

I'm gonna be leaving.

I might be leaving for only a year and coming back to continue my education but that depends on how well my grades are in the next few days.

Either way I'm gonna be heading back to California and kicking butt over there. It was great playing and hanging with you guys. I was introduced to the scene be Devon and ever since then you guys have been nothing but awesome to me. As my first year of competitive smash, I can say I wouldn't want it to be any other way and I felt through this community I have grown both as a player and a person.

I'm probably gonna be leaving this weekend on either on Saturday or Sunday and it would be awesome if we had a fest some time on either Friday or Saturday.

In regards to Smash Jam and Neumont tournaments, they'll still be going on but just not run by me. I'll make sure that my predecessor, who is the president of our club, will make them even more awesome than before.

Anyways.... thanks for an awesome year, I hope to be back, and I'll make sure to show those Cali scrubs why Utah smash kicks ***!
Btw.... you guys might see me on SSS at some point :D
Yeah! Show the Cali Smashers how salty you can get <3

On another note.... Looks like Melee is going to be around for a another 10 years lol.
Also! Seeing how this game is "so far" I'm not really looking forward to it. But since it is in beta I'm not going to throw it under the bus just yet.

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
@ Tacblack Tacblack for me, i don't care about speed, i care about options. with more options, comes more choices, and deeper meta. if mario kart had no items and no opponents, how much would you continue to play the game once you memorized the best way to run a track? variability adds to the replay value. so when you take away options, you take away opportunities to get better and reduce the lasting power of a game (does anyone still play tic-tac-toe after they've figured the game out?). once again, that's not to say that the latest smash indeed has fewer options than brawl or melee, but just that the options seem different and we won't have the ability to transfer knowledge.
Yeah that makes sense. Speed is really just a piece of the puzzle as is other things. Still I think we learn more when we play it at Best Buy, and the game is still in development too so they can still change things.

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
Are most of you showing up at 4? If so I'll get off of work early to play and "help explore" like someone said earlier

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
I'm probably not gonna make it tomorrow, but I can try for Saturday. Exploring is all I'll really be doing.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
THE TOURNEY PORTION OF THE EVENT IS ON SATURDAYBY THE WAY

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Nope rj is a ****ing idiot and can do more harm then good
Keep him away from trying to tell the staff how to do things
He'll come high as the sky
And bathed in McDonalds