• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
I've been thinking about this...
that was a totally illegitimate scrub fest 2014; we can do better

I'm calling out @ Superw0rri0 Superw0rri0 @ Pumpinz Pumpinz @nqztv @ net1234 net1234 @Shylock @Skull Kid and others who qualify; One of us is the best scrub, its time to find out who.

I propose a side tourney at Neumont- The Unofficial Official Scrubfest: 2014

I was thinking we could do a round robin but I may have underestimated the number of new melee players we have. $5 entry with winner takes all but the real thing at stake here is pride.

Who's down?
Yo do I qualify for this? My first legit Melee tourney was Encounter 1.

Also, @ all those who keep claiming Pokemon characters, you're just gonna be using your tag lol

Last edited:

Roguay

Smash Journeyman

I'm calling out @ Superw0rri0 Superw0rri0 @ Pumpinz Pumpinz @nqztv @ net1234 net1234 @Shylock @Skull Kid and others who qualify; One of us is the best scrub, its time to find out who.

I was thinking we could do a round robin but I may have underestimated the number of new melee players we have. $5 entry with winner takes all but the real thing at stake here is pride.

Who's down?
sounds c00l but im way too good to enter this :estatic::estatic::estatic::estatic::estatic::estatic::estatic::estatic::estatic::estatic:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
nah but on the real how does one qualify to enter this
Yo do I qualify for this? My first legit Melee tourney was Encounter 1.
Have attended 2 tournies and been playing competitively less than a year will qualify you. If anyone has concerns about the skill level of attendees we can group vote.

I want in
I feel like you're just a lil outside the spirit of this competition, being involved in the smash scene in general for longer. But I'll get a group consensus.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I feel like the gym leaders should be attractive ladies

Roguay

Smash Journeyman
Have attended 2 tournies and been playing competitively less than a year will qualify you. If anyone has concerns about the skill level of attendees we can group vote.

I feel like you're just a lil outside the spirit of this competition, being involved in the smash scene in general for longer. But I'll get a group consensus.
nice. im in then

RVKYS

Smash Apprentice
i'm most definitely a scrub. and will most definitely be at neumont to contribute to the pot. and get ***** in friendlies.

Zaku

Smash Cadet
Well, I'm definitely a scrub, but I'm not sure if I meet the requirements. Also, I kinda forgot to save at least 5 bucks for for Jam. I can always play friendlies though.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I most likely won't be able to make it this saturday.
To kind of explain where I'm wanting to go with this:

I'm aiming to provide-
1. An extra competition for Utah's higher level players to rank themselves in.
2. Encouragement to Utah's lower level players to improve and socialize with the veterans.
3. A fun and unique way of doing these.

The structure as seen in my mind is like this:

We'll start with the results from Salt Fest. Since we don't have an awful lot to go off from the get go, we'll simply let the bracket/pool results speak for themselves. Highest placing Utahn in a game will instantly be the Champion of the League. Next two players will be the Elite 2. The next four will be the Gym Leaders. Now, before you start biting my head off about the inaccurate number of posts for each rank, just know that there probably won't be enough solid players in the beginning to fill all eight Leaders and all four Elites. Thus, we're starting with less. After we get the system going, we'll allow Gym Leaders to fight up the ranks and gain higher positions, or even regular challengers. The details still need to be worked out.

Each Leader must play one set character in all their challenges, and must choose one stage that they'll play on. Make it relevant in some way. For example, Ganondorf on Temple. The stage doesn't have to be legal. The whole point is to provide a fun and unique challenge. They may also choose one wildcard rule. This could range from changing the damage ratio to 2.0, to turning on bob-ombs on very high, to setting the clock at 1:00 time match. This is what really sets the tone for your specific Gym. Elite Four are exactly the same, but are more difficult opponents, and if you lose to any of them, you must restart from the first one.

The Champion is something I haven't really decided on. I'm definitely on the fence with this one, and I'd appreciate input.

After a challenger defeats all eight Gyms as well as the Elite Four and Champion, their name is put in the Utah Hall of Fame. Yay.

Alright so thanks for reading all this (assuming you actually did) and please please please give me your thoughts.
I like the ideas you have for this. I'd just say that the special rules/stages can't be too far out there. While it would make it cool and unique for each leader, it should still hold an actual competitive atmosphere. Only going off Salt Fest results won't be the best either. There were top players who weren't there/bracket *****/etc. It would be better to just get a general consensus from the top players and then settle discrepancies/disputes with recent results, not solely salt fest.

Who's down?
I don't play melee, I call in.

Last edited:

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
@ Ken Neth Ken Neth Yeah I see what you're saying. I was just concerned because it would be a lot more complicated to do all that considering that anyone can challenge a Leader for his spot once they've reached a certain point, so I figured we'd get it pretty solidified after a month or so. But if you guys want a vote, I'm down for it. However, we still need to take Salt Fest results into account, it is a good way to measure the differences in skill level.

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
@ Ken Neth Ken Neth Also, regarding your concern over rules and stages: I understand where you're coming from, and trust me, I thought about this. I'm the most conservative ruleset smasher you'll ever meet. I believe that Brawl should only have Smashville, FD, and Battlefield, for example. No counterpicks. However, you have to realize that this isn't the same competition, and perfect balance isn't exactly what we're going for. We're going for small scale competitive immersion for the newer players. Something that may be a little more to their style they used to play with their friends. Obviously, if it was balanced, the noobs probably would take forever just to beat one Leader. But with the odd rulesets, it makes it more fun as well as taking away the experience advantage that veteran players have. Besides, it still takes skill. When the west coast played with all items on, there were still players who dominated to an extent, such as Recipherus. Just my two cents though.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
@ Mr. Fox Mr. Fox I didn't mean that there can't be any non-tourney rules, I'm just saying we can't let it get too crazy. I'm cool if someone wants an item, or some non-legal stage or whatever. However, I think there should be a limit to how crazy they can be. Like I think we should ban stages like 75 m and new pork city for example. Basically, Im down for weird rules but I think there should be a way of deciding if it's too much.

A win wouldn't be too rewarding if it came down to purely the janky rule.

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
@ Mr. Fox Mr. Fox I didn't mean that there can't be any non-tourney rules, I'm just saying we can't let it get too crazy. I'm cool if someone wants an item, or some non-legal stage or whatever. However, I think there should be a limit to how crazy they can be. Like I think we should ban stages like 75 m and new pork city for example. Basically, Im down for weird rules but I think there should be a way of deciding if it's too much.

A win wouldn't be too rewarding if it came down to purely the janky rule.
How about this? Your rules must be approved in a democratic fashion by the Elite Four and Champion. If 3/5 agree to it, you're good to go. Also, I'm currently in the works of creating a site to keep track of all this. The initial rules regarding rulesets will be there.

Last edited:

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Scrub tournaments at every event. Winner gets to challenge a top 5 player who cannot use main or any known alternates. Until you win, you have to use the tag "SCRUB" on your character unless you're playing another scrub in a scrub match. Higher level players may bet on scrub matches like people do in **** fights. Scrubs may not participate in gambling because they are babbies.

Once you win a scrub tournament and beat a top 5's garbo char, you will cease to be a scrub.

Last edited:

net1234

Smash Ace
Scrub tournaments at every event. Winner gets to challenge a top 5 player who cannot use main or any known alternates. Until you win, you have to use the tag "SCRUB" on your character unless you're playing another scrub in a scrub match. Higher level players may bet on scrub matches like people do in **** fights. Scrubs may not participate in gambling because they are babbies.

Once you win a scrub tournament and beat a top 5's garbo char, you will cease to be a scrub.
this is my chance to graduate from A- scrub to real player. so hype

Edit: Im after u @Tomacawk 's G&W

Last edited:

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I can't believe they censored "****;" I was talking about the rooster.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH AMIRITE?

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Alright, lets see if I break anything doing this. I'll also apologize on the team names, as that's ALL I've got, not who's on what team unless that was their name basically. Do note: Yes, bracket can be a bit wonky at times, but I AM learning more and more, and each competition does help with that, so please keep that in mind. Still, really good turn out for this event, and hoping for more and more to happen.

Melee Competition
Melee Doubles - 8 Teams
1: Prinny and Jpeg
2: GA | Perfect Chaos + Tomacawk
3: Jekyll and DeathArcana
4: Twisted Fate
5: SocKennyCer
5: G-Town
7: Pro(alone + Steez
7: 254
Melee Singles - Pools - 45 Entrants
1: Jelly
1: J$
1: Jpegimage
1: Jekyll
1: X
1: GA | Kenny
1: QraQ
1: RabidJackal
2: GA | Perfect Chaos
2: GA | Tomacawk
2: D.M.W
2: Ladaman
2: Prinny
2: Death Arcana
2: Geoff
2: ThunderZiggz
3: Skull Kid
3: LeMoN
3: Marz
3: SocAndrewCer
3: MeleeRuler
3: Gingabread
3: ScaryKid
3: Shiro
4: Shylock
4: Blank
4: Hatch Backward
4: Chukwaffles
4: Pumpinz
4: Flash fire
4: Rockmix
4: A Psychiatrist
5: PeeKay
5: BillNyetheSamusGuy
5: Kaffelon
5: HawK
5: Superw0rri0
5: Toast
5: Bixel
5: Nuptup
6: WestinBestin
6: Livin
6: Soupenomics
6: Net1234
6: NegativeX
Melee Singles - 16 Man Bracket
2: D.M.W
3: GA | Tomacawk
4: Geoff
5: Jekyll
5: RabidJackal
7: GA | Perfect Chaos
7: Ladaman
9: GA | Kenny
9: Prinny
9: QraQ
9: J$
13: Death Arcana
13: Jelly
13: ThunderZiggz
13: X

Project M Competition - 14 Teams
Project M Doubles
1: TEAM RAMPAGE
2: Rabbid Thunder
3: Green Team
4: Prinny and Jpeg
5: GA | Gkirbs (Sinz and KenNeth)
5: G-Town
7: Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory
7: Milky Way Galaxy
9: Pro(alone + Steez
9: GBSK
9: The Dreamland People
9: GA | Perfect Chaos + Tomacawk
13: Steven
13: Dash Attack
Project M Singles - Pools - 48 Entrants
1: RabidJackal
1: MeleeRuler
1: QraQ
1: GA | SinZ
1: Prinny
2: Geoff
2: GA | Perfect Chaos
2: WiR | Z
2: Logos
2: ThunderZiggz
2: ScaryKid
2: Jekyll
2: Shiro
3: Pumpinz
3: Jelly
3: Baky
3: Chukwaffles
3: Baby
3: Messiah
3: Gingabread
3: Luke
4: NegativeX
4: Wyatt
4: Superw0rri0
4: HawK
4: Snow
4: Aztec
4: Mike
4: GANGSTERish
5: Remioli
5: Kaffelon
5: Saxon
5: Skull Kid
5: Tane
5: WestinBestin
5: Dragoomba
5: LemoN
6: Blank
6: Woebo
6: Toast
6: Gump
6: Soupenomics
6: Nuptup
6: Bixel
Project M Singles - 16 Man Bracket
2: RabidJackal
3: GA | SinZ
4: QraQ
5: Prinny
5: Geoff
7: Logos
7: Jpegimage
9: ThunderZiggz
9: GA | Perfect Chaos
9: WiR | Z
9: MeleeRuler
13: ScaryKid
13: Jekyll
13: Shiro
13: GA | Kenny

Brawl Competition
Brawl Doubles - 7 Teams
1: WiR | # GREEN TEAM
2: GA | Alpha Kenny Buddy
3: Milky Way Galaxy
4: SSBF
5: Harold + Kumar
5: Zeros + Colus
7: Blank
Brawl Singles - Pools - 24 entrants
1: WiR | Fow
1: WiR | Z
1: WiR | MJG
2: Death Arcana
2: Marz
2: GA | Yaz
2: I See
3: Colus
3: Rockmix
3: Tane
3: Zeros
4: WestinBestin
4: Remioli
4: Pailbat
4: Twink
5: Kevin
5: Evil
5: Kip
5: Roman
6: gngamer
6: Shawn McCarthy
6: King Zeus
6: Clayton Syme
Brawl Singles - 8 Man Bracket
1: WiR | Fow
2: WiR | Z
3: WiR | MJG
4: GA | Kenny
5: Marz
5: GA | Yaz
7: Death Arcana
7: I See

Sorry if I screwed something up there.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Updated thread title, also put in upcoming events that are related in some way with Smash (usually meaning a set-up going to be there) on the first page. Currently has Utah3DS Streetpass's event and the Sandy Nickelcade Lock-in there. No, I will not update that whenever there is a smashfest. Maybe someone should make a Twitter or something of "@UtahSmashFests" and update that when there's a smash fest. 1-2-3-not-it

Logos

Smash Apprentice
I suppose I'll make a new name to suit this the smash name used for the tourney. It was a great tournament, this being my 2nd tournament it has really inspired me to go to more. Unfortunately I only have one friendlies partner to build off of. So I'd like to have more than one person to play. If you remember me feel free to hit me up! It was a pleasure to meet you all. We'll show you next time Idaho. ;)

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Well... looking at the results I guess I didn't do too bad..... still didn't reach my goal though.

Also... I got an idea for the scrub fest:
The winner of the Scrub Fest will be given the title of Scrub Lord.

Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
I suppose I'll make a new name to suit this the smash name used for the tourney. It was a great tournament, this being my 2nd tournament it has really inspired me to go to more. Unfortunately I only have one friendlies partner to build off of. So I'd like to have more than one person to play. If you remember me feel free to hit me up! It was a pleasure to meet you all. We'll show you next time Idaho. ;)
Yo what area are you from/ What game(s) do you play?

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
He's from Bountiful (under his avatar) and you can probably see what he plays from the results list. He's a pretty sick PM player from my experience.

Logos

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Project m. Wolf main, check it ;).
Also I wish I could watch the past broadcasts for our stream. They won't load for me for some reason.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
st. george tournament friday june 15th

based on the good turnout at our first smash fest at my house we're expecting even more people

once our scene gains traction down here and our prize pools get bigger will any of you fellas consider traveling to compete later this year?

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
If I had a ride I'd maybe be down. Also Logos, you only live like 30 minutes from me (since for the Summer I live over in Clinton), so we should definitely smash sometime.

Top Bottom