• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
2 funny and sad things here

Net12
actually losing to pumpinz

and pumpinz
actually thinking net12 is
a notable win

FAIL

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
make sure you read my previous post in
an aguilar sarcastic/condescending Voice

"WOW LOOK AT ALL THESE SCRUBS!
YOU REALLY THINK UR GOOD???
WANNA MONEY MATCH?"

Last edited:

Snap.

Smash Apprentice
net12 played 100 games against me with meta knight in PM
has yet to win a single game
mm him, free money $$$$

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
So i've been thinking about the amateur bracket and seeing if I could do it for Neumont Smash Jam... the only thing is maybe we don't have enough people and maybe we already have too many events... we have Melee, PM, and Brawl... I would like to keep all 3 and maybe having an amateur bracket would be too much... I think it would be fine to have an amateur bracket for just one of the games... what do you guys think?

Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
You might not be able to enter a tourney for a few months if you lose.
wow this thread is starting to get real

So i've been thinking about the amateur bracket and seeing if I could do it for Neumont Smash Jam... the only thing is maybe we don't have enough people and maybe we already have too many events... we have Melee, PM, and Brawl... I would like to keep all 3 and maybe having an amateur bracket would be too much... I think it would be fine to have an amateur bracket for just one of the games... what do you guys think?
how many ppl go to the smash jams? I feel like amateur brackets make the most sense when you know most of your attendees are new--- like at fanx where 90% of the people there were randoms.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Well instead of pools you could always just do a normal Bracket and take everyone who got eliminated pre Top 16 or something and put them into an Amateur bracket.I did this once before at a BYU tournament way back like 2 years ago since we had like 20-30 new faces and Im pretty sure nobody even noticed I did it or that there even was an Amateur bracket since it went really smoothly (I believe it was the tournament where John Toral upset Yaz).

EDIT: Also, it ended before the actual finals since the mexis and devon werent in the bracket to constantly hold up matches by being slow as **** lol.

Last edited:

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Seriously though, this is something that would definitively help. I forgot who said it but it was mentioned right after fanx that the skill gap is immense. Like me Pumpinz and Net destroyed our pools there and tbh we're not that good relatively.
Destroyed? LOL
Pools 7.png

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
OH MY GOD

OH MY GOD

holy ****

the best name has begun

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I'm holding a fest in Logan. If anyone wants to come....

nobodywillshowupanyways

Last edited:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
1 stock Brawl would be ok I think, you would just need to make the sets best of 7.

You would have to adjust your play style and certain characters would be nerfed, but I'm still confident the better player would win in most cases.

Street Fighter matches last like a minute on average and the better player almost always wins

And Street Fighter is a slower paced game, just like Brawl but part of what makes it so exciting to watch is how fast the rounds finish

Last edited:

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
1 stock Brawl would be ok I think, you would just need to make the sets best of 7.

You would have to adjust your play style and certain characters would be nerfed, but I'm still confident the better player would win in most cases.

Street Fighter matches last like a minute on average and the better player almost always wins
Though I don't disagree the better player will generally win, I still think that the element of having a stock lead is very important in the metagame which is why I stand behind 2 and not 1 stock matches. Putting that pressure on the other person usually pays off pretty well. I know it's sorta the same thing as being behind in game count, but there's more immediate pressure when you have to recover from a deficit within a game rather than a set.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Though I don't disagree the better player will generally win, I still think that the element of having a stock lead is very important in the metagame which is why I stand behind 2 and not 1 stock matches. Putting that pressure on the other person usually pays off pretty well. I know it's sorta the same thing as being behind in game count, but there's more immediate pressure when you have to recover from a deficit within a game rather than a set.
How is there more immediate pressure than being behind 100% in a match where you're about to die and you only have one stock? If anything there would be more pressure and encourage offensive play and creativity over a 2 stock match which is just essentially the same principle as regular 3 stock Brawl just shorter

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
There's still pressure in being a match ahead. One thing that I can see happening is winning first round then 2nd round go a campy character and force them to approach you if they want to win. Imagine if you could change your character after every stock.

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Yeah, I take back my two stock compromise for Brawl.

One stock or bust.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
You don't even play brawl tho
A couple things...

I do enter Brawl tournaments. I didn't at Neumont because it was last, and I was tired and had to get home.

Second, I would take it much more seriously if it were one stock matches. It would greatly change the dynamic to something much more desirable.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
ZSS is OP in one stock though.

Really though, imo Brawl needs at least 2.

Top Bottom