• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
I really think it makes round robin pools more effective in time and it can give newer players chances to play more than 2 sets from a regular double elimination tournament

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I don't like it. Especially if you're trying to keep new players. There were matches that lasted less than 15-20 seconds, mango even beating someone in 10 seconds. If you're a new player and get to play a total of a minute per set, you're not coming back.

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
I agree that is will push away players if it's just a simple double elimination tournament because you can possibly only play 2 people and have hardly any play time.

I think the 1 stock rule set is most effective when the tournament is based on round robin pools which will give players more chances to play more people competitively. I would rather play more people rather than have more time to play.

And if the tournament is round robin, you'll most likely play at least just as much as 2 sets with regular rules.

Since we don't do round robin pool tourney's, I think the new 1 stock rule set will make more round robin pool tourney's happen.

And for spectators, it's simply more fun to watch because it's similar to street fighter

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I don't like it. Especially if you're trying to keep new players. There were matches that lasted less than 15-20 seconds, mango even beating someone in 10 seconds. If you're a new player and get to play a total of a minute per set, you're not coming back.
That's where the amateur brackets and other things come in. I think losing one stock is far less a problem than being absolutely obliterated for three stock. I don't think "amount of play time" is the only factor.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
yo i suggested the one stock brawl matches at neumont and nobody wanted to do it lol

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
There are other reasons I don't agree with one stock, not just that. One stock does not give you enough time to learn an opponent. There is a much lower chance for a change in momentum. One streak of momentum can end the entire match. The options for comebacks are much more limited. One tech error or suicide can end the game completely. etc.

Even from a watching stand point I don't like it at all. The game lasts 20 seconds and then there's a few minutes in between matches. The ratio of watching people play vs waiting for matches just got *****. And the same reasons above apply to watching as well.

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
I agree with Kenny, 1 stock matches is not the way to go. Two stock matches would be better, but I honestly think that Brawl is good the way it is right now.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I think two stock is a good compromise. I just think that three stock was a campaign to make Brawl matches roughly as long and complex as Melee matches. The problem is that even those three stock matches tend to take longer than Melee four stock matches, and they involve a lot more camping. Again, with the one stock matches going on in the streams, the game is actually interesting. I'm not just saying they're fun to watch (they certainly are); I'm saying that each decision has much more impact. The meta game is crazy with one stock.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
There was brawl, scrub
pics or it didnt happen

I think two stock is a good compromise. I just think that three stock was a campaign to make Brawl matches roughly as long and complex as Melee matches. The problem is that even those three stock matches tend to take longer than Melee four stock matches, and they involve a lot more camping. Again, with the one stock matches going on in the streams, the game is actually interesting. I'm not just saying they're fun to watch (they certainly are); I'm saying that each decision has much more impact. The meta game is crazy with one stock.
one stock is garbage
2 stock or bust

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
no thats a step in the wrong direction
4 minute?
you want EVERY single match to go to time?
2 stock with 6-8 minute timer
coming from a TL main

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
no thats a step in the wrong direction
4 minute?
you want EVERY single match to go to time?
2 stock with 6-8 minute timer
coming from a TL main
i guess youre right i thought a short timer would push for faster stocks but everyone would still camp it out after a % lead huh

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
Anybody wanna play PM tonight? I'm straight fiending for that ****.

I'll see about doing something after Salt Fest, either late May or early June.
Also, have you considered any side tourneys at Salt Fest? I think a $2 entry Duelist Pro side tourney would be hella fun.

Last edited:

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Side tourneys would have to be entirely done by anyone who wants to do them, with enough of an interest.

On that note, what the hell is Duelist Pro?

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
Side tourneys would have to be entirely done by anyone who wants to do them, with enough of an interest.

On that note, what the hell is Duelist Pro?
Hopefully we can get enough people interested. Last time we played it I think we had at least 6 people interested.

I prefer playing DP with four people instead of 1v1, but you get the idea. http://youtube.com/watch?v=fccJnX0n7yg

ANYONE WANNA PLEH PM

Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
The best way to keep new players coming back is an amateur bracket.
Seriously though, this is something that would definitively help. I forgot who said it but it was mentioned right after fanx that the skill gap is immense. Like me Pumpinz and Net destroyed our pools there and tbh we're not that good relatively.

Last edited:

net1234

Smash Ace
Seriously though, this is something that would definitively help. I forgot who said it but it was mentioned right after fanx that the skill gap is immense. Like me Pumpinz and Net destroyed our brackets there and tbh we're not that good relatively.
hey man dont group me with @Pumpinz that guy is awful

Top Bottom