• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

-Mars-

Smash Hero
As long as it's only for the big tournaments you plan on doing every 4 months or whatever then I think 10 is fine. It makes the tourney more hype and seem more than a typical monthly.
For people travelling 120 miles roundtrip like myself it gets kinda costly. 5 dollar entry also increases the chance people enter other games.

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Wish I played better, but was very fun! Was Natalie ok at commentary?
No. She was not.

idaho's pm commentary was good, so was support's. pc and yaz were briefly on melee commentary and they did great too, it wasn't all bad. but when it was bad it was unfathomably bad lol
Did you listen to me and Kenny at all?

edit: Yes its costly. I put on 300 miles onto my car for this tourney. Any event is a ton of miles me.

Last edited:

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Did you listen to me and Kenny at all?
No I didn't see you guys commentating but I've only watched my matches (and not all of them, even). You came on briefly during one of my games and it was good, but it was only a stock or 2 iirc

I'm going to make sure I don't leave until after Salt Fest, somehow. And I'm going to commentate. And it's gunna be dope

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I would never volunteer to commentate on a game that I don't know a good amount about. People should do everyone a favor and not volunteer to give biased and/or uninformed comments. Better to have no commentary than such commentary, if you ask me.
I actually suggested that they get off and let people who know about the game commentate (my [apparently too subtle] way of trying to kick them off so I could commentate) and they told me no. ;~;

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Hey look at it this way, bad commentary encourages people to come to events haha.

Also ZZ lets be realistic, your commentary would devolve into My Little Pony/PlayStation All Stars/Pokemon discussion after 5 mins lol.

Last edited:

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dude Sinz if we co-commentated it would probably pierce the heavens with hype. We need to seriously double up on commentary soon.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
ZZ was actually causing a ton of distractions for the already bad commentary. One of my matches all it was was her arguing with ZZ about how samson was hers and that she guesses they are sharing him and a ton of non-smash related crap that was just obnoxious to listen to. Also having Chris commentate my matches with Kevin where I can hear all his comments about how the game is in the bag for Rob, etc, wasn't the coolest either.

Future tournaments we'll just have to be more strict about who can commentate. Other than crappy commentary though, this tournament was so much fun. Thanks a ton tsuteto, I really appreciate all your efforts. I'll do shout outs tomorrow if I have time. Too tired/ busy smashing with ID to do them right now.

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
That's a major bummer about the ****ty commentary guys. I wish I was there. I feel like I could at least do a decent job commentating. Any input on that? What do you folks think?

I can do the SD card thing Tane.
Hell yeah. Let me know, I will hook you up with real moneyz within reason.

I can do that. That's what I do with my wii.
I will for sure take you up on that. Are you by chance going with us to CO in April? Or the fest this coming weekend?

Last edited:

Tomacawk

Smash Master
i think your commentary would be good tane and i suspect we'd be a strong duo as well although i'm not sure how much i can add to brawl or you can add to melee
does that mean we meet halfway on pm then?

also tuesday I KNOW THAT FEEL bro.

and to be fair to natalie one of the contributing factors to the bad commentary was the chat treating her like ****
granted her commentary would suck regardless but hearing her have to defend herself and talk about "haters" and "how do i hype" for a few hours is so obnoxious

shoutouts to the naked chicks walking through the hallway that I missed
1,000 biblethumps to that.

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
and to be fair to natalie one of the contributing factors to the bad commentary was the chat treating her like ****
granted her commentary would suck regardless but hearing her have to defend herself and talk about "haters" and "how do i hype" for a few hours is so obnoxious
This is right when I got home from doing stuff and turned the stream on. Oh god.

Rockmix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rockmix
I had fun at the tourney makes me want to get better in Melee again so if anyone is down to play matches text me 801-473-8384 or message me. Also teaming/playing with Colus was fun, felt like we could have gone to game three against kenny and yaz but oh well. Talking and listening to everyone was great at the end.
It was hard commentating, would like to do it more but hard to when I'm not good and don't know much about the game.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
idk if she will even read all this or not, but this goes back to the last pages too with what support/pc were going back and forth about
conflicts are complicated and it's almost always wrong to blame one party. and as critical as we often are (maybe I should just speak for myself, as I typically don't hesitate to speak my mind), it's not to tear people down as a stream chat often does, but rather to build them up stronger than before. when we can roll with the blows and not take ourselves too seriously it's pretty easy to just let **** go, grow from it, and move on. and as we go forward, it's in all of our collective interests to not only better ourselves but those around us as well.

some people want to genuinely build you up through constructive criticism, but even more want to escape their own problems by ****ting on other people and attempting to publicly shame them. being able to distinguish between the 2 makes life much easier, as you can accept relevant critique while disregarding those that cannot help themselves, let alone other people.

disregard the ****s and accept wisdom as much as you can. integrate what you find useful; let go of dead weight.

after all, the you that made the past mistakes no longer exists. our lives know only the present moment, and the you from the past is gone for good; what persists is the ever changing person weaving through the now. let that **** go, forgive yourself and others, and move on

/end rant #lifelessons

besides, what fun is there to be had with noone else?

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
i would like to offer my services trying to commentate

i [edit]can[/edit] bring da noize

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
is there a reason everyone down in provo prefers brawl? during that get together i had, i set up smash64, melee, brawl, and project m, but everyone wanted to play brawl. i convinced some people to try out project m, so i changed everything to play either brawl or project m. not that i hate brawl like some people, i just don't know that game very well and melee seems most natural to me since that's what i have the most experience with (however little that may be :-p). is there anyone down in the provo area that wants to play melee?

also, my friend and i got a chance to play on a crt recently and we really didn't notice the lag difference between that and playing on a wii u with mayflash adapters on an hdtv. maybe it's just because me and my friend don't play at a high enough level to notice the difference, but is it really that bad for y'all? i've played on hdtvs before with lots of lag before to the point of it being unplayable, but that's usually because i've been at a venue where i couldn't control the tv and mess around with the settings. is there anyone in provo who wants to come over and play and tell me if my setup is terribly laggy or not?

kinda going along with that, does anyone here play with the dolphin emulator? i don't have a fast enough pc to use it right now for smash, but i may be doing another pc build in the future. does it lag on the pc? could it be used in a tournament setting now or in the future?

@ T Tane if your location is correct and you are in salt lake city, i go up there a couple times a week and i can setup smash64/melee/brawl/project m to run on your wii/wii u from a hdd if you want. i've already done it on several of my friend's systems so i think i can get it done for you pretty fast. all i would ask from you is some smash play time ;-). but if you want to get it done by someone you know better, that's cool too.

Last edited:

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
In regards to commentating: I'll try to make it obvious more as to who is allowed to commentate, and who isn't. There was supposed to be a system, but that fell short. I allowed it to be as it was since I wasn't hearing anything bad, but then Tomacawk told me how horrible it was near the end of the tourney.

In regards to when you are having troubles with other people on things you know are going wrong, you NEED to let me know. I'm allowed to be the ass to people (within reason). Yes I'll still feel bad about it, but I get it done because I do care about quality. If I don't hear about it, then this happens. So come up and TELL ME when something is deadly wrong like this, and I WILL fix it. I feel as if I know who's opinion I can trust in the community, and who's I "take into consideration." Then I follow the event with ice cream for my sorrows XD

In regards to changing stream name, I am looking into it. I want to be able to do something like a "group page" thing, but that requires some beginning traffic before I can according to Twitch's rules (if you don't know what I'm saying, see Clash Tournaments. Individual streams tied together by the CT name).

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I wasn't around the stream set-up for the whole first half of the tournament, and I wasn't aware of the any commentary problem until the very end of the tournament, as well. The system for commentating that Tsuteto mentioned was the red wristband (the one that I See asked Toacawk about). If I See didn't know about it, then there's a good chance that Natalie didn't have one (considering that they are a couple). The wristbands were probably only given to higher caliber players that Tsuteto knew had good knowledge of the game. If I was made known the issue, I would have remembered the red wristbands and report it to Tsuteto, and that would have resolved the problem without any possible refusal from the offender.

No. She was not.
edit: Yes its costly. I put on 300 miles onto my car for this tourney. Any event is a ton of miles me.
Brutal honesty. LOL

Anyway, why did you have to drive 300 miles?

Last edited:

Tuesday

Smash Ace
is there a reason everyone down in provo prefers brawl? during that get together i had, i set up smash64, melee, brawl, and project m, but everyone wanted to play brawl. i convinced some people to try out project m, so i changed everything to play either brawl or project m. not that i hate brawl like some people, i just don't know that game very well and melee seems most natural to me since that's what i have the most experience with (however little that may be :-p). is there anyone down in the provo area that wants to play melee?

also, my friend and i got a chance to play on a crt recently and we really didn't notice the lag difference between that and playing on a wii u with mayflash adapters on an hdtv. maybe it's just because me and my friend don't play at a high enough level to notice the difference, but is it really that bad for y'all? i've played on hdtvs before with lots of lag before to the point of it being unplayable, but that's usually because i've been at a venue where i couldn't control the tv and mess around with the settings. is there anyone in provo who wants to come over and play and tell me if my setup is terribly laggy or not?

kinda going along with that, does anyone here play with the dolphin emulator? i don't have a fast enough pc to use it right now for smash, but i may be doing another pc build in the future. does it lag on the pc? could it be used in a tournament setting now or in the future?

@ T Tane if your location is correct and you are in salt lake city, i go up there a couple times a week and i can setup smash64/melee/brawl/project m to run on your wii/wii u from a hdd if you want. i've already done it on several of my friend's systems so i think i can get it done for you pretty fast. all i would ask from you is some smash play time ;-). but if you want to get it done by someone you know better, that's cool too.
Once you start doing tech that's very very precise, you notice the milliseconds. I personally cannot l-cancel with Fox after a drill to do a waveshine on an LCD. I've tried. I'm sure there are people that can do that sort of input on habit and not reaction, but with varying levels of shielding/light shielding that's not really possible.

I live in Provo, and I'm free for whatever, whenever. You can come over here, or I can go there. My number is 512-968-0621. It's almost 5am and I'd be down to smash honestly. Or call me tomorrow. w/e

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
Thanks for the tourney, Tsu. A pity we never got in that MM.

@Hatch Backward I was the Marth you played. GGs.

@ Tomacawk Tomacawk Thanks for dittoing my pitiful Fox. I learned some stuff, and we need to play more.

@Roguay #PayMe. Thanks for the games, it's people like you that help me to get better.

@ Sinz Sinz Thank you soooo much for the ride man, it helped immensely.

@ThePoophandler You and The Alchemist are getting better very quickly. Keep at it.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Also, I need to set some ground rules for all future tournaments:

Rule 1) NEVER ACCEPT MONEY MATCHES FROM DEVON. He is just trying to hustle you.

Rule 2) SAVE YOUR MONEY SO YOU CAN MONEY MATCH ME. Everyone I asked was spooked by Devon (thanks...) or broke because of Devon (thaaaaankssssssss...). Only got $2, one off of Final<3 and one off King Midas himself.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I was going around just asking for a dollar anyway haha. I needed to pay Jekyll back because I thought entree fee was $5 but it was $10 ;~;

Ken Neth

Smash Champion

There are people that play other games in Provo. There's quite a few melee players and a bunch of us are just starting to pick up pm. The majority does play brawl though.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
You know what should happen at Salt Fest?

BYU vs UofU crew battle

Any BYU students in this thread?

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Hey look at it this way, bad commentary encourages people to come to events haha.

Also ZZ lets be realistic, your commentary would devolve into My Little Pony/PlayStation All Stars/Pokemon discussion after 5 mins lol.
I havent even watched MLP since halway between season 2. Its currently in season 4. And allstars is bad, theres nothing to talk about atm. Pokemon maybe, but only of someone is playing lucario cuz mega lucario is op as ****.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
ZZ was actually causing a ton of distractions for the already bad commentary. One of my matches all it was was her arguing with ZZ about how samson was hers and that she guesses they are sharing him and a ton of non-smash related crap that was just obnoxious to listen to. Also having Chris commentate my matches with Kevin where I can hear all his comments about how the game is in the bag for Rob, etc, wasn't the coolest either.
Thats not my fault, samson cant see the chat, its Natalies fault for distracting Samson by repeating what i was saying out loud mid match. Besides, i was just messing with her, not trying to say anything to Sam. Twitch is all about streamer chat interaction, so saying i, someone in the chat, was distraction someone playing who couldnt even see the chat, isnt true. The commentators repeating what i said outloud to someone in a match isnt my fault.

And Chris' commentary was ass.

Last edited:

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Thats not my fault, samson cant see the chat, its Natalies fault for distracting Samson by repeating what i was saying out loud mid match. Besides, i was just messing with her, not trying to say anything to Sam. Twitch is all about streamer chat interaction, so saying i, someone in the chat, was distraction someone playing who couldnt even see the chat, isnt true. The commentators repeating what i said outloud to someone in a match isnt my fault.

And Chris' commentary was ***.
I know they need to choose what to respond to, but after a minute it was clear we wasn't going to stop responding to anything you said. Not blaming you, just saying that it didn't help. Finally I jumped on and called her out on it and said we were going to focus on the matches. I guess it didn't change anything for when I wasn't on though.

As far as my commentary goes, I was freaking tired and couldn't think. I at least tried to focus on the matches or other tourney updates so even if it wasn't super entertaining I hope it wasn't that bad.
You know what should happen at Salt Fest?

BYU vs UofU crew battle

Any BYU students in this thread?
I go to BYU and so do quite a few of the smashers. Are you on the BYU smashers group on Facebook?

Last edited:

wangston

Smash Lord
Shout out to IDAHO!!! You guys are awesome. Now if you see any part of me in the stream, I was extremely doubtful of your guys skill at PM. I'm glad you guys proved me wrong and took first in teams and singles. Good ****. Thanks a ton for coming down here for our tourney, we love having out of state people come. I hope you guys enjoyed your stay and I look forward to seeing you again. I'll practice more PM and see if I can get my jiggs up to par with some of your guy's characters. Once again thanks a ton.

Everyone else, shout out to you bust a nut!

Also commentating is hard when it's just you, or you and some scrub that doesn't know anything about smash. You really need someone you have good chemistry with and you have to talk about things other than what just happened. You have to say more than "Dat up smash" after some one lands an upsmash.

Last edited:

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
Also commentating is hard when it's just you, or you and some scrub that doesn't know anything about smash. You really need someone you have good chemistry with and you have to talk about things other than what just happened. You have to say more than "Dat up smash" after some one lands an upsmash.
I agree with this to the max. When I was commentating at salt fest, I was with RJ and it was pretty ****ing awful. Nothing against RJ, I love that kid. But we just weren't on the same wavelength and the commentary ended up being terrible. However, when you get two people who both: know what's up with the game, as well as vibe together, commentary gets mad hype. I think this is something the scene needs to be more conscious of when streaming. Tsu always does a great job with the quality of stuff, and, like he said, he was unaware of the commentary ****show because he was not informed. But I think the scene is largely responsible because it feels like most people don't take it very seriously. If we want to be a legitimate scene, we can't have wack, biased, ********, handitarded, nasty, or any other kind of negative commentary on our streams. That doesn't mean it can't be fun, I think commentary is hella fun and we can all have fun with it. It just needs to be treated somewhat professionally.

With all this talk of commentary, I want to hear who you guys would like to see commentate. My list:

Brawl
In no particular order, I wanna see Marz, Kenny, Devon (well, maybe...maybe not), Zz, Tsu, and Ebo.

Paired with, in no particular order, I wanna see Wangston ("dat fsmash. dat dair. dat utilt."), Rocky, Tim, Yaz, and (for fecal matter and chuckles) PC.

Melee
PC, Tomacawk, Rocky, Tuesday.

Paired with: ****in anybody. I don't know the Melee scene too well. D:

I apologize if I offended anyone by not including them in this list. I probably just forgot. And with this list I'm not trying to say that the people I didn't mention would suck at commentary, it's just that these are the people who I want to see.

Dat essay post. O_o

Last edited:
Top Bottom