• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
^^^^

I most likely wont be able to play any Smash until the lock in. Gonna get my wisdom teeth out on the 20th which will take a couple days of recovery apparently and then on the 26th Ill have family over. Maybe if Im feeling up for smash around the 24th-25th and somethings going on Ill try and make it out to it.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Read that, and at the very end, got the feeling of, "You're wrong in your thinkings, but we'll play along anyway so you actually buy this product."

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
if I were going to buy a next gen console (i'm not) I would like to think I'd adamantly refuse to buy the xbox one for them having the ****ing balls to reveal that ****ty of a console to us and pretend like they give a mother **** about gamers

RIP in peace microscoff

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
if I were going to buy a next gen console (i'm not) I would like to think I'd adamantly refuse to buy the xbox one for them having the ****ing balls to reveal that ****ty of a console to us and pretend like they give a mother **** about gamers

RIP in peace microscoff
^ Pretty much this. I was never a Microsoft fan to begin with, and the Xbox One reveal was the nail in the coffin for me. Regardless though, I dont really even plan on getting any next gen consoles for a while. Ill get a Wii U when something like Mario Kart 8, Smash 4, or something like that comes out, and Ill get a PS4 if they ever make a PSA2 or something, but otherwise Ill pass.

-Mars-

Smash Hero

RIP in peace microscoff
Cmon man, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are all businesses...neither of them care about "gamers" they just want your money. Sony more than likely had some DRM stuff lined up until they realized the tremendous Public Relations advantage they would have against Microsoft, so they come out looking like the good guys when in reality they couldn't really give a ****. This was a victory for us though because it shows these companies that us consumers pretty much control them and they can't just do whatever the **** they want. Real reason to get a PS4 over an Xbone now is that its $100 cheaper and more powerful. Plus Sony generally varies up the games they make and don't just pump out dudebro shooters all the time.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Mars pretty much hit the mark with his post.
With Microsoft still sticking to their original price for their system, even after doing this reversal of policy, they won't be getting many people that are on the fence between the two systems.

PS: LOL @ "RIP in peace". Redundancy...

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
"I think the idea of the fighting game genre can be somewhat limiting. People have defined in their own minds what constitutes a fighting game, and that can be such a specific set of characteristics that when other people are viewing a game from the outside and they learn it's a fighting game, they may predetermine it's not for them simply because of what they expect from it as a fighting game."
-Masahiro Sakurai

http://www.gamespot.com/features/smashing-the-definition-of-smash-bros-6410475/

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
Cmon man, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are all businesses...neither of them care about "gamers" they just want your money. Sony more than likely had some DRM stuff lined up until they realized the tremendous Public Relations advantage they would have against Microsoft, so they come out looking like the good guys when in reality they couldn't really give a ****. This was a victory for us though because it shows these companies that us consumers pretty much control them and they can't just do whatever the **** they want. Real reason to get a PS4 over an Xbone now is that its $100 cheaper and more powerful. Plus Sony generally varies up the games they make and don't just pump out dudebro shooters all the time.
i woudln't get a ps4 either and no johns
just because you're a corporation doesn't mean you are excused for being a complete jackass
PS: LOL @ "RIP in peace". Redundancy...
it was intentional fyi

just my 2 cents tho
i know i sure as **** don't wanna argue about it

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
He never said that what Microsoft did was excusable. They made a bad choice, and they are playing the price still even with this change. The fact that people are praising Sony for not doing what Microsoft did is what his comment was basically referring to.

And if you don't want to argue about the other thing, then I'll just put in the last word:
Unless you meant for a pun like "RIP in pieces" or something of the like but just used the wrong word, then it would make sense, but intentionally saying what you did is even worse than just making a simple word mix-up, as it makes no sense.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Unless you meant for a pun like "RIP in pieces" or something of the like but just used the wrong word, then it would make sense, but intentionally saying what you did is even worse than just making a simple word mix-up, as it makes no sense.
You only YOLO once.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
RJ told me to post: "fest at his place tonight at 6:30- no aguilars"

Also, on Tuesday Devon brought up that our PR is very out of date. So we were discussing possibly updating it and coming out with a new one. One thing we weren't sure on was wether or not we should make it top five or top ten. Top five would make it more competitive, seeing as we don't have a ton of players in UT. But at the same time a top ten could be incentive for newer players to improve if they have a better chance of seeing where they are and it could be more of a "I'm going to work hard to pass up number seven" type thing instead of "it doesn't matter if I get better than him because 7th still isn't on the rankings." But then there's people that get complacent and think being 7th is good enough.

Basically, I'm just posting to what you guys think.

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
In
RJ told me to post: "fest at his place tonight at 6:30- no aguilars"

Also, on Tuesday Devon brought up that our PR is very out of date. So we were discussing possibly updating it and coming out with a new one. One thing we weren't sure on was wether or not we should make it top five or top ten. Top five would make it more competitive, seeing as we don't have a ton of players in UT. But at the same time a top ten could be incentive for newer players to improve if they have a better chance of seeing where they are and it could be more of a "I'm going to work hard to pass up number seven" type thing instead of "it doesn't matter if I get better than him because 7th still isn't on the rankings." But then there's people that get complacent and think being 7th is good enough.

Basically, I'm just posting to what you guys think.
I think we definitely need to update it. Start a new thread for it. Etc. and do top ten.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Also, we should get multiple people in on deciding it instead of just having it be off only results or just one or two people deciding it.

I've been noticing that recently Utah has been getting more motivation to improve from older players to the newer ones as well. I think if we do it right, the PR could be a good motivator to help people improve.

Some ideas I had that i think would help promote competition to get better were things like update often, more recent tourneys weigh a lot more than past ones, not only results matter, but who you beat in tourney. And also, maybe a MM system as well for players that are close on the PR to be able to challenge the person above them or something if they both have similar tourney results/win-losses/haven't played recently in tournament (last two tourneys or something)/etc

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
You only YOLO once.
At least you now have a reason to intentionally make a nonsensical statement like that.
Need to go to the ATM Machine real quick.
Unfortunately, too many people actually unintentionally make this mistake in the real world. Same thing with "E3 Expo" for people in the gaming crowd.

Rockmix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rockmix
I think it should be at least top 5 and change it to top 10 when we have at least 20-30 people showing up regularly for monthlies

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
At least you now have a reason to intentionally make a nonsensical statement like that.
Unfortunately, too many people actually unintentionally make this mistake in the real world. Same thing with "E3 Expo" for people in the gaming crowd.
You mean they have RAS syndrome? (Redundant acronym syndrome syndrome)
ACT test
ATM machine
PIN number

Fml.

In other news, smash fest tomorrow afternoon. Not sure where. But let's get it cracking.

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
Also, we should get multiple people in on deciding it instead of just having it be off only results or just one or two people deciding it.

I've been noticing that recently Utah has been getting more motivation to improve from older players to the newer ones as well. I think if we do it right, the PR could be a good motivator to help people improve.

Some ideas I had that i think would help promote competition to get better were things like update often, more recent tourneys weigh a lot more than past ones, not only results matter, but who you beat in tourney. And also, maybe a MM system as well for players that are close on the PR to be able to challenge the person above them or something if they both have similar tourney results/win-losses/haven't played recently in tournament (last two tourneys or something)/etc
I double post because **** you.

I agree with this to the max. Kenny and Devon and Marz should be the ones in charge of it, maybe a couple others. I want this to happen soon though, I've been wanting to see our PR for a long time.

Also: should characters play into this at all, even if it's just listing mains nex to ranking? Should crew battles and stocks taken play into it?

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Do we even have any crews?

And I'm not feeling a PR, but you guys can do it if you want. I don't really want to know what your opinions are of my playing to be very honest--might mess me up from doing my very best. AKA I think it's cute that we want to rate ourselves but there are a lot of great players here who are really close in skill level, and I'd prefer guesswork and opinions to not play into this and frustrate people. Which is what a player-made PR is.

So I guess top 5 is ok, but top 10 doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I dunno, I was pretty stoked when I made it onto the list as number 9 or whatever it was. That drive to get higher was a huge reason I pushed myself to get better and to also not let myself get passed up by anyone else. That's why I thought maybe it would be a good idea to make it top ten. But people don't have to participate, so if you really don't want to be in it than that's fine and you'll just be kept out regardless of where you'd go. The whole point of a PR is to help promote competition for people to get better, especially among people that are really close to others skill wise on it. People just need to realize that there is a bit of objectiveness in any PR, and they need to take it with a grain of salt and not get their feelings hurt if they feel they should be higher. But since we'd be aiming at regular updates, it could also be a motivator to get better for the next one that comes out. I don't really care where I end up on the list, but where ever I do, I'm going to work to not get passed up and to catch the people ahead of me.

And besides a few certain people that no longer really play, all the top players really look to help people get better so we can improve as a whole. They're not really content with just sitting on top without having to get better, so they want others to get better to push them to play their best. As I'm sure you've noticed.

The crew battles we do have more been for fun, so I don't really see those as being a huge influence in it. Also, a huge role in crew battles is counter picking the player already in since they're character locked so that's another reason I don't see them being a big determining factor. But if someone continually does really good in crew battles/friendlies/MMs etc then at least in my mind validates their improving skill level/tourney results. And I'm fine with putting characters next to names or whatever.

TL;dr speaking from personal experience and observations, I think that a PR can be a huge skill booster for our scene if done right and people have the right attitude.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Im down with updating the PR and having a group voting or whatever again. As for Top 5 or Top 10, idc, I had it at Top 10 back then because that was when were getting newcomers like mad and were averaging 20-30 people at the BYU tournaments and had like, 20+ regulars. Now there probably only needs to be a top 5 though since there are so few actually going out regularly.

And @Ano: Power Rankings are for seeding purposes to make brackets as balanced as possible. There not just there because we feel like showing who's best, theyre there because they are used in bracket making.

But regardless, Im more than willing to be on the panel or whatever for it, and if you guys want me to set up the group or whatever for discussion just let me know.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
So guys, good news, my wisdom teeth were really good and straight so removing them was easy and simple with literally no complications, and on top of that Ive had pretty much 0 pain at all, so instead of having to wait the usual 7ish days of recovery, I literally just need to wait for the stitches to fall out which usually takes 3-4 days. So I guess if anything is going on tomorrow night I should be able to go so long as they fall out by then, otherwise the next day.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
As I'm sure you've noticed.
Probably my favorite line in your post. Almost lol'ed at it. ;) Good times, man.

But one of these days I'll have to stop going easy on you and pull out my main. So you better be prepared, or your PR list won't even matter because there will be only one name on it.

Even worse scenario: we have a top 5 list and I make it in with Link. No one will ever take Utah seriously again lol

But regardless, Im more than willing to be on the panel or whatever for it, and if you guys want me to set up the group or whatever for discussion just let me know.
Did you enter the Brawl tourney last week? Youuuuuuu should probably start entering again if you want to help with the PR list, ya know...

NINJA'D by Z'z. You better go to that fest though my man

Or I'll never get a chance to

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Ano, I was super active for a LONG time and only just took a hiatus right when you got back due to getting burnt out on the game. Im back into it though and I did enter last week, I got 5th. And I used to be a part of the PR list panel before, so I know how it works and all.

Top Bottom