• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Is Zeal even good? I never got to play him, or see him play anyone else. :p

I CHALLENGE YOU TO ONLINE BRAWL. DECEMBER 5th.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
4th/5th best in CO, *****. I placed 49th at OC3 (not HOMG AMAZING, but at least I made it outta pools, eh?).
That actually is not bad at all. Simply not having three digits in your rank is a huge plus. ^_^

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Probably like, five or six people.

And yeah-- Utah really does suck. Deal with it, or go to hell for not going to BYU. BYU-I is even worse. Just ask Buzz.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
Official Tournament Post that I almost forgot

Seizure of Power 5

Date

Saturday, August 18

[address]

Schedule
12:00 noon - 1:00pm: Registration and Warm-ups
1:00pm: 2v2
break after 2v2
1v1 after break (approx 3:30)

BYOC (Bring Your Own Controller) and all that other stuff

Should I make a separate thread for this like we should have been since it seems more than usual people plan on coming or is it too late now? Next one we'll start having tournament threads again for sure ^^;

This post is for the large amount of non-regulars who have expressed interest in coming to this tournament.

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Idaho would be 10x cooler if it wasn't desolate in terms of smashers. >_<

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion

lengeta

Smash Ace
Any private school is horrible, especially when that private school is there because of religion. Such debates are bad though, especially on an internet forum, so I'll just leave it at that for now...

Anyway... I have some bad news, and some good news:
Bad news: I have a friend that just had a pretty bad accident at work. Basically his left leg got completely crushed and he might lose feeling in it for the rest of his life. He's not at any other physical risk though, nothing life-threatening or anything like that.
Good news: This friend is the one that was getting married the 18th. That means I have a tournament day off with not to do but attend that tournament, so I'll be there!

As for Orem/Provo, there are loads of people around here that play Smash, but only me, CdBobo, and (bairly) DontStopLaughing are active here (online). Without needing be said, all other Smash players aren't nearly as good because they've never really touched the meta-game of Smash. I, myself, have a pretty stong Smash loving crew I play with regularly, pretty good Luigi, Ganon, Samus, and Fox players, but they're all inactive from the tournament scene... I don't know why... they're just too lame I guess. I will also most likely be leaving the Utah scene forever when I'm done with school in approximately one year, but that's a long time away, so who knows.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Any private school is horrible, especially when that private school is there because of religion. Such debates are bad though, especially on an internet forum, so I'll just leave it at that for now...

Anyway... I have some bad news, and some good news:
Bad news: I have a friend that just had a pretty bad accident at work. Basically his left leg got completely crushed and he might lose feeling in it for the rest of his life. He's not at any other physical risk though, nothing life-threatening or anything like that.
Good news: This friend is the one that was getting married the 18th. That means I have a tournament day off with not to do but attend that tournament, so I'll be there!

As for Orem/Provo, there are loads of people around here that play Smash, but only me, CdBobo, and (bairly) DontStopLaughing are active here (online). Without needing be said, all other Smash players aren't nearly as good because they've never really touched the meta-game of Smash. I, myself, have a pretty stong Smash loving crew I play with regularly, pretty good Luigi, Ganon, Samus, and Fox players, but they're all inactive from the tournament scene... I don't know why... they're just too lame I guess. I will also most likely be leaving the Utah scene forever when I'm done with school in approximately one year, but that's a long time away, so who knows.
Lol, good try but BYU isn't a private school.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've been to BYU-I, it is terrible. It is surrounded by nothing. You can pretty much see the whole state standing on a can of tuna.
Yeah, I really miss the mountains. I mean, I love going to school here. It's got great programs for Buzz and I, but we can't wait to get to a REAL city!

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Whoever can find me an uber job first gets the Buzz couple to smash with for an eternity.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
So Singles is BEFORE Doubles? Why the change this time?

And I feel for your friend, Layne; getting into a situation like that, and to make it worse, having it be less than two week from one's wedding. :(

lengeta

Smash Ace
Lol, good try but BYU isn't a private school.

http://unicomm.byu.edu/about/default.aspx?content=admissions-policy said:
Admission is based on reviews of high school transcripts; American College Test (ACT) scores; ecclesiastical recommendations; student essays; service to community, school and church; seminary and/or institute recommendations; and other application information.

It is the university’s judgment that providing educational opportunities for a mix of students who share values based on the gospel of Jesus Christ and come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences is an important educational asset to BYU.
You do realize it's required to be housed in BYU approved housing and that seminary attendance is required? Earrings, tattoos, even different hair colors are more than enough to kick you. BYU is an LDS run school, hence, its run privately. It makes its own rules rather than following the standard college conventions. While an excellent school in many regards, it's still a school that revolves around religion, and that is a horrible thing.

I'm not trying to bash the school or anything (I guess I actual am...), I'm an art major myself, and BYU blows most colleges out of the water with their art program.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
LOL @ Wikipedia

Who on earth told you that BYU is a public school? All the BYU campuses ("campi"?) have private written all over them. They have extremely strict rules, admission processes, etc.

lengeta, I'm just curious as to why a school that revolves around religion is so horrible.

lengeta

Smash Ace
College is to increase your education, and to earn a degree you can shake around to demand more money from employers. Religion has nothing to do with that. Sure, it's fine to study religion, research history on it and how it effects people and communities in different ways. The problem is when you have a school privately funded, they force their beliefs on you. I don't care what any of you have to say on the matter, but mass religion spreads through brain-washing. They teach faith rather than logic and critical thinking, and you must heed the words of other members while completely dismissing what anyone has to say with even a slightly different view. Look at how Mormonism tells you not to read ANY anti-Mormom literature because it's just lies; what is that telling you in reality? Stop thinking, stop questioning, conform.

My grips here aren't necessarily directed at the LDS though, it's all mass religions, Mormons are really just the only religion visible in Utah Valley. IMO, religion is very personal, between you, God, or whatever your personal beliefs are. I'll decide for myself what to believe, not take truth from a book thousands of years old that's been edited thousands of times to keep commoners under command of church and state, or from yet another zealot spout how they're right and everyone else is wrong. I learned how to think critically in school, and I plan to apply these skills in every facet of my life, including religion.

BYU is an awesome school, and you'll definitely have a lot to gloat about holding a degree from there, I'm not throwing that into question. I just hate some of their practices. Lets leave it at that though, this sort of discussion doesn't need to take place here, where everyone has to read everything.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
There are probably tons of open positions in Denver, since DEN is a United hub. Go ahead and apply.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
LOL @ Wikipedia

Who on earth told you that BYU is a public school? All the BYU campuses ("campi"?) have private written all over them. They have extremely strict rules, admission processes, etc.

lengeta, I'm just curious as to why a school that revolves around religion is so horrible.
Lvl. 3 sarcasm.

lengeta

Smash Ace
Hey Dark Ryu, I most likey can. CdBobo, anyone else, I'm down in Orem too and should be making this tourny now, so's if you's be needin' a ride then hop on de' bandwagon!

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
*hop*
woot. I was actually going to drive this time lengeta but hey, if you're goin'... and besides, I don't talk too well whilst I drive so we can have the BYU is awesome but also blows discussion now ;). I'll get ahold of tjrook and see if he can make the tourney (doubtful) and so we may be getting more people than we planned for ( :awesome: )

Gojira

Smash Lord
Puhlease, I play with the likes of gimpyfish.
You live in washington?

Well it would not be much of a downgrade from gimpys bowser to my bowser but......why would you move from washington? It has plenty good schools im sure.

You reall under estimate the utah scene. Im not saying we are better then washington because few are, im just saying.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
So come on down to utah!
That reminds me. I do visit Utah quite often (At least 3 or 4 times a year). I'd love to forewarn you guys of one of my little visits so that we could smash sometime. My visits are usually exclusively to Salt Lake City and Provo, more-so Salt Lake City.

Top Bottom