• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
We just had a smash gathering. Here are the results:

(1) -- sugarpoultry -- $450,000
(2) -- Casture -- $200,000
(3) -- jjoe -- $75,000
(4) -- Josh -- $50
(5) -- Buzz -- $0.13

You guys missed out.
YAY I WON!!!!!!!!!! :D

I actually did beat Buzz yesterday. I don't know if it was luck or he was rusty from playing so much, but I got him!!! :D

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Doc is the worst character ever. You'll probably beat me with him, honestly, since I lose to Doc's, even horrible ones, on a regular basis. Haet teh doc. D:<

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Interim, don't worry, I have trouble with docs. Any doc.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
The trick is.... to just be awesome.

Simple enough.

Lol... the real trick is just to air combo the heck out of em until they lose their will to fight :D. Finish with a doc punch or a forward smash, and you win :D. Also, Pills work well on whittling that fighting spirit down too... hehe.

C!Z

Smash Lord
Ok that should work Xsyven. I hate you Phil. We should play this week though, we haven't played in a while

lengeta

Smash Ace
Blah! What's going on?!

Just an FYE, I was at Fandamonium(sp?) this weekend, and the had a Blind Battle Smash tournament. You have a team of two (SnafuDave and myself), no item 1v1 on FD, one of you takes the controller and faces away from the screen while your teammate looks and tells you what to do. Suffice to say, our strategies PWNED everyone else, we didn't lose a single match, it was awesome. I also dominated the Guitaroo Man tournament.

Anyway... Yeah Zeal, at the moment we've got some room in my van for you.

Laozy, you said you couldn't get another weekend off in awhile, does that include the EVO weekend or did you already have that asked off?
::EDIT::
Or was it Rage that was coming... sorry, long weekend. **loses a stock**

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Blind smash seems like it could be fun :). Did you play falco? Pry wasn't too hard..
SnafuDave: short hop laser!
Layne: okay!

:)

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Hello again everyone. Been busy this week, but I'm back around. Did you guys decide upon any cool activities smash related or otherwise?

lengeta

Smash Ace
Blind smash seems like it could be fun :). Did you play falco? Pry wasn't too hard..

:)
Actually... you don't have to try that hard. We beat everyone else because we were smarter, and had better communication. Some teams were saying "that way! that way!" "which way?" while we were using "c-stick left" and "move right" and so on and so forth. Advance techniques aren't important, it basically pans out three characters: Marth, Samus, and Falco. Marth is the one that comes to mind first, because he out-reaches other players, and can send easily and really well. Once your off the edge in a blind match, your basically dead. So... what did we do when someone got smart enough to use marth on us? We missle spammed with Samus. We got called cheap several times, but they were trying to be cheap themselves, and we just out witted them. So... when they used Samus against us? Falco. His lasers stun too fast for her to get a missle out. When they stopped missle spamming because it didn't work, we c-sticked her to death. Finally, the last team was smart enough to wait for us to pick, then counter-pick. We went with Falco since he had the moving c-stick smash and the reflector for Samus as well as the faster projectile. They picked Marth, and were smart enough to jump over our lazer spam. It was close, we only one by four stock... lol, close... yeah right! We completely owned the tourny, it was awesome.

I should also say that it was best two out of three. The partern looking and the partner playing switch for the second match, then if there's a tie-breaker (never in our case -_^), you can decided who's doing what. So much fun. The girl in charge of it decided to do it this way because she knew there'd be a lot of people there that aren't good at the game, and she didn't want one good person ruining everyone else's fun. It worked perfectly, although one of the elite players (me) still won. By a large margin. LoL! Tons of fun, but definatly not worth bothering with when everyone's at least semi-decent. Some of the team's screaming at eacher is probably what made it more fun than anything.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
I'm a newcomer in Provo who might be able to come the 18th, if you would even want me. What time is it?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Hey camzaman, were you the one I PMed awhile back, or was it someone else that I PMed? Well, welcome to the Utah Smash Community! The tournament usually starts at around 1:00 PM, with registration starting around noon. Some people come like at 11:00 AM to do pre-tournament friendlies though, so you may want to consider that.

C!Z

Smash Lord
Well wtf happened to your phone mang? I'll pm you, I think tomorrow will be good if not definitely Thursday cuz I wanna play too! Sucks not having someone to play with consistently like HoneyKhom haha
aye my phone isn't working so pm me. im free all day tuesday-thursday. i need to play more.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Hey camzaman, were you the one I PMed awhile back, or was it someone else that I PMed? Well, welcome to the Utah Smash Community! The tournament usually starts at around 1:00 PM, with registration starting around noon. Some people come like at 11:00 AM to do pre-tournament friendlies though, so you may want to consider that.
Is the venue in Saltlake City? I would really like to come if I can, but I'm not sure if the writing program ends on the 17th or 18th. If it ends on the 18th, I won't be able to come.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
So, when are we going to have a Metroid Prime 2 tournament? :laugh:

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Hey, Razn. If you go to EVO, bring your DVD recorder. I want to record some matches, and throw my sexiness on youtube. WITHOUT WOBBLING.

My reputation is RUINED. I need it fixed. Even though only like, 6 people have watched that video.

Also-- how much did that thing set you back? I might want to purchasize one of them.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Lmfao, Xsyven gave in to peer pressure and is now reaping what he sowed.

I probably won't make it to EVO, some BS came up with college and funding, and I need to square that away/get a job first. However, I would very much like to make it to a UT tournament. I'll keep you guys posted.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Hey you guys, I live in Oregon and I am going to be a senior in high school. I plan on going to BYU, is there a good smash scene there?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
You are going to base some of your decision of which College to go to on Smash? Now that's a true Smasher! LOL :chuckle: Our Smash scene isn't very big, though. The usual tournament turnout is around 10-16 people (mostly in the lower part of the range).

Gojira

Smash Lord
Haha, I'd say that was quite an assumption to make. I am basing what college I go to on my religious beliefs. Having a good smash scene there is just a plus. But it sounds like it is close to Oregon's smash scene, and let me tell you Oregon sucks at smash.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, Xsyven; http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=2703633#post2703633.
We have a good smash scene . . .we are good for how small it is . . . . .also BYU is a really good school.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I didn't get to play with Oregonians when I was up there last time. They were all in Seattle. :( So I can't compare for ya.

Chances are, I'll be in Portland again before you move here for college, so I'll let ya know.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
No. Provo is Southern Northern Utah. :p

Cedar City and south is considered Southern Utah. Everything else is uninhabited. Kind of like Eastern Oregon.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Haha, I see. There are no smashers hiding away in those canyons?

I only asked because, in Oregon, Portland alone counts as Noregon and everything else is Soregon.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Quality smashing is being able to crash at LoVo's house on any given night, and being able to count on people showing up randomly the next day. ♥ UT, but you guys really need to clone LoVo. XD

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
Quality smashing is being able to crash at LoVo's house on any given night, and being able to count on people showing up randomly the next day. ♥ UT, but you guys really need to clone LoVo. XD
That sounds like me and Zack, except without the random part.

Provo really needs to catch up to SLC :p

It would also be great if people existed outside of Utah/SLC counties + st george :(

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
That's totally Devin's house. Too bad I'm the only one that gets to reap the benefits.

Wikipedia said:
Who is the best smasher in Provo? Where does the best smasher in Utah live?
I think there're two smashers in Provo-- Cdbobo and Lengeta. Cdbobo will be on a mission by the time you show up though, so you'll have Lengeta... maybe... I don't know. You're planning on stuff happening a year from now. A lot can happen in that much time. Me and Devin, the only smashers in So Ut worth fighting, will be gone too.

The current #1 is PerfectChaos-- and I'm not sure, but I think he's in Salt Lake City. Download the GSC to see where most of us live.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Am I on there..? I asked the admin guy to do it, so.. hopefully :p. I'll be gone on said mission by the end of November, so if wikipedia isn't going to get here for another year, yeah, I'll be gone.
Speaking from BYU experience, though, there are a few people who randomly play smash. None are any good though. The key is to just ask everyone you become even meagre friends with... sure you may come off as a bit of a nerd but if they say yes... pwning noobs is just so much fun :).

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
You go on a mission LATE NOVEMBER!? That's right before Brawl's release...man, the timing just suck for you.

BTW, Chao managed to get the 18th off work. Rafa thought I said the 16th instead of the 18th, and got the 16th off instead, so now his only hope is to switch shifts with someone else.

Top Bottom