• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UST 15 (Utah Melee Tournament - June)

Flying J

Smash Rookie
Interesting, but what exactly can you get from hacking brawl? It doesn't seem like there is a whole lot to change or even available to hack.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
color changes (sonic>shadow), animation (blood), what certen things do (Let you wave dash), stages (ei. wario ware that doesn't change), attack damage changes, really anything can be done.

DZLE

Smash Master
yeah but what we use is
11.75% more hitstun
Auto L-Cancelling
Altered Gravity
No Tripping
DI-able B-moves

soon to come, never changing stages, to get more neutrals.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
You can still trip when hit a certain way or if hit with a banana (so Diddy still has his Banana Games). There's just no more random tripping when running.

And there's some stuff that you forgot from the list, DZLE, such as longer dash-dancing, and no air-dodge while still in stun animation.
And why does it have auto L-canceling, anyway? There's a code for manual l-canceling, so why not use that one, instead (is it too long to be put into with the other codes or something)?

Flying J

Smash Rookie
Wow, that is a lot, didn't know hacking devices were that advanced now ( I assume this is achieved with some sort of program altering device). I may have to give it a try sometime.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
You can still trip when hit a certain way or if hit with a banana (so Diddy still has his Banana Games). There's just no more random tripping when running.

And there's some stuff that you forgot from the list, DZLE, such as longer dash-dancing, and no air-dodge while still in stun animation.
And why does it have auto L-canceling, anyway? There's a code for manual l-canceling, so why not use that one, instead (is it too long to be put into with the other codes or something)?
I have heard that several of the codes block other.

Wow, that is a lot, didn't know hacking devices were that advanced now ( I assume this is achieved with some sort of program altering device). I may have to give it a try sometime.
Its really not hard to do at all, my buddy is one of the guys who seems to be "heading" the project. And all you need is an SD card.

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... so i've been thinking (yeah, strange I know)... but why is Rumble Falls banned? I was perusing the stage discussion board for reasons as to why... so far i got

"Rumble Falls: I'm a bit iffy on this one, as it's terribly predictable and tells you when it speeds up. Ultimately, I think it should be banned, though. Because of the scroll, it forces players to focus more on keeping up with the stage than actually fighting each other and the spikes throughout the stage tend to be better at killing than most players."

(I found this to be the most concise quote that filled what others were thinking about the stage as well, so for space and my laziness reasons this will be the only direct quote from the stage discussion board.)

Firstly, if it's banned because of the scroll then shouldn't Rainbow Cruise be banned as well? Granted RC moves a lot more slowly with no "speed ups", however there are ample platforms for even the most sucky of jumping characters to easily keep up with the stage, not to mention continue to fight the other characters as it is scrolling.

Secondly, it mentions that the spikes that have a higher killing potential than several characters. Well, I can name several stages that aren't on the banned list that has that same effect as well. Namely the cannon explosions on (toon links lvl... total brain cramp and forgot its name) as well as bad DI's to the catapult on the same stage. One may say that the large spike in RF is an insta kill at virtually any percent, however it is in a nonmovable location. Easily predicted and avoided (or used if you are smart, just like the hull of the boat on toon links lvl.)

Several other levels that have features that can kill at low to no percentiles that aren't banned either... Stage flip on Frigate Orphean, Lava walls/ spouts on Norfair, Cannon blast/lasers on Halberd... just to name a couple. Same rule applies. These can be anticipated, and therefore dodged or used by either character.

Seeing as how these hazards can be avoided (or used effectively by virtually any character), I see it as perfectly reasonable to include it as a counterpick. Or at least give it a shot at one of the tourneys and see how it plays out.

I figured i'd post this here as it would be concerning this tourney (as well as ToF). So umm... yeah. Others thoughts?

vazor

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... so i've been thinking (yeah, strange I know)... but why is Rumble Falls banned? I was perusing the stage discussion board for reasons as to why... so far i got

"Rumble Falls: I'm a bit iffy on this one, as it's terribly predictable and tells you when it speeds up. Ultimately, I think it should be banned, though. Because of the scroll, it forces players to focus more on keeping up with the stage than actually fighting each other and the spikes throughout the stage tend to be better at killing than most players."

(I found this to be the most concise quote that filled what others were thinking about the stage as well, so for space and my laziness reasons this will be the only direct quote from the stage discussion board.)

Firstly, if it's banned because of the scroll then shouldn't Rainbow Cruise be banned as well? Granted RC moves a lot more slowly with no "speed ups", however there are ample platforms for even the most sucky of jumping characters to easily keep up with the stage, not to mention continue to fight the other characters as it is scrolling.

Secondly, it mentions that the spikes that have a higher killing potential than several characters. Well, I can name several stages that aren't on the banned list that has that same effect as well. Namely the cannon explosions on (toon links lvl... total brain cramp and forgot its name) as well as bad DI's to the catapult on the same stage. One may say that the large spike in RF is an insta kill at virtually any percent, however it is in a nonmovable location. Easily predicted and avoided (or used if you are smart, just like the hull of the boat on toon links lvl.)

Several other levels that have features that can kill at low to no percentiles that aren't banned either... Stage flip on Frigate Orphean, Lava walls/ spouts on Norfair, Cannon blast/lasers on Halberd... just to name a couple. Same rule applies. These can be anticipated, and therefore dodged or used by either character.

Seeing as how these hazards can be avoided (or used effectively by virtually any character), I see it as perfectly reasonable to include it as a counterpick. Or at least give it a shot at one of the tourneys and see how it plays out.

I figured i'd post this here as it would be concerning this tourney (as well as ToF). So umm... yeah. Others thoughts?

RC has a speed up, right at the end.

It seems like there's no character advantages here then? If so, since you also make good points about the hazards, I'd be okay with it being a counter pick.

DZLE

Smash Master
I hate Rumble Falls.

I wont even consider it...

And yeah, what i meant was no random tripping. You can still trip with dtilts and bananas and ish.
And yeah, longer Dash Dancing Frames.

And PC, the manual L Cancel code takes up way too much code room, just like melee air dodge does.
We could throw it in one night to mess around, though.

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
Rumble Falls is such a fun stage to play on. But I wouldnt like it too much in a tournament setting. One of the biggest problems is that it was a walkoff area almost no matter where you are at. Other then that I dont find it too bad.

I wanna try brawl+ really bad. Just to see what its like.

lengeta

Smash Ace
Hey, it sounds like some of you have played Brawl+. My flatmate has a modded Wii, but he's moving out soon. Anyone think Brawl+ will stick around, and is it worth my time setting up and playing?

Also, what happened to the Utah thread?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The utah thread is still around.

As for brawl+ I wouldn't put to much effort into it. Brawl will always be the better/more popular game.
More popular? Yes.
Better? I don't think so.

And how is this about UST?
This thread is now just the Utah thread in disguise.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
More popular? Yes.
Better? I don't think so.
That's pretty much what I was thinking! LOL I just didn't say anything, in fear of starting another (mini-)flame war.
And how is this about UST?
This thread is now just the Utah thread in disguise.
:laugh: I guess they just want to increase their post count, so they moved the Utah Thread's discussions here. (Except for wangston, of course...he's stuck with the social rooms.)

lengeta

Smash Ace
Oh, I here you on melee, I play it and brawl, still likeing the craziness of melee more. Going to a big torny in July, but I'm on my blackberry so I can't link.

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
Ya, walkoff's at basically every part of the stage is a no-no.
Well, basically every part of the stage? Not quite. Go back though and mess around on RF. You'll notice that theres not as many as you say. Yes, there are also walls in which you can do chaingrabs/etc on, however because of the scroll they're not there for any horrible length of time.

I'd compare its walk offs to delfino. Yes they're there, and yes theres also walls to infinite off of. However, for the duration of the walk off/wall they'd be in that stage of the rotation for roughly the same time. (If not shorter than in Delfino itself.) Therefore i'd see that as a nonissue.

Edit: Not to mention that in RF, if you're playing a chaingrabber then avoid the sparse walk off areas that there are. There's lots of floating platforms.

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't mind it in the tourney. I just want more levels in the rotation that we already have. Then again, several peeps have already expressed interest in it. I'd say its more evenly split than you're saying ;)

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't mind it, but it's hard to find a compelling argument to get that one to see competitive play. The ceilings are far too short, there is a constant a)walk off or b) wall to infinite against. Amongst several other reasons. RF however doesn't have any of those problems (to the extreme extent that mushroomy kingdom does.)

Edit: Heading to my CS class, ill pop back into the thread later.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Looks like we should have the pannel vote on this stage, and any other that people think should be in. No promises though, on what happens.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
Brawl+ has nothing to do with the tournament. It does not belong in this thread.

Brawl stages are relevant, but apply to everything else too. Stage discussion belongs in the Utah Thread, not here.

Also, I won't be doing 4 tournaments in one day again unless only 1 of them is Brawl. Per set, Brawl has the longest duration, making it too risky schedule-wise to try too much of it.

DZLE

Smash Master
In my opinion, you should keep doing Brawl Doubles and Singles. I know I havent been around to going to these, but again, it is just going to repeat itself with "blah blah bigger turnout for brawl not other games blah blah"
I will be going to this, though.
But whatever you feel is good, your the host and all

lengeta

Smash Ace
Brawl+ has nothing to do with the tournament. It does not belong in this thread.

Brawl stages are relevant, but apply to everything else too. Stage discussion belongs in the Utah Thread, not here.
I here you Nate, but I seriously couldn't find the Utah thread anywhere. I don't like how they hide the social board like that, especially thinking of a newbie coming in looking for it. I've found its hidden dark corner now though, so I'll move over there.

Nul

Smash Apprentice
I'm good with $5 (it's standard anyways), and put me down for a Wii + recorder, finally got all the kinks out plus I figured out it can be plugged in the wall and still record.

Top Bottom