• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Up B in the air as an offensive move.

Levitas

the moon
come on, just believe it. I totally was screwing around with it yesterday. Seems people don't expect the shortened grounded ones. And I totally nailed someone with the pk suprise yesterday too.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
I'm going to second PK Thunder in Brawl, just for MattDotZeb and SimnaIbnSind.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
ive found that a really simple way to use the up b offensively is when youre recovering with low damage

you havent been thrown far enough to have to specifically rely on the up b, meaning you can use your double jump to get high above the stage and lure your opponent to you

angle the attack downward and you should be set

i can take down sikass's marth with relative ease this way. he HATES it

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Yes, that also works. It's sometimes the only way to recover from above. People get used to it eventually though, and learn to just space away from you.

Levitas

the moon
lol, or sweetspot from above. People don't expect it, they think you're gonna attack from above, or shoot up or something. And then you're on the edge. and they're like, "woah"

Ademisk

Smash Champion
lol, or sweetspot from above. People don't expect it, they think you're gonna attack from above, or shoot up or something. And then you're on the edge. and they're like, "woah"
Yeah, same difference.

Also, edgeguarding with PKT2. Am I insane or is this just crazy enough to work? In other words, purposefully jumping off the stage as if you were going to edgeguard an enemy, and then doing a PKT2 into the enemy's Up B trajectory. Anyone have a good reason this wouldn't work?

Ademisk

Smash Champion
It seems like it should work. I mean, it's the same basic principle as Simna's PK Thunder right on the ledge, where he whips it around the enemy and hits himself at the same time as they hit the ledge, only from a different angle.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
upB out of shield could work since it has more range than ness' grab... but I don't see it being as practical in the air.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
It's better if you DjC PK Thunder. You can increase your distance from the opponent, or decrease the amount of time it takes you to hit yourself.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Sometimes when somebody approaches me I randomly pull out pkt... It doesn't work that often, but when it does.... awesome.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
.......people confuse random crap working with mindgames WAAAY too much.

So what, nobody has any serious they can find wrong with my idea? I've used it like twice now and it worked the first time, and had no consequences the second.

Levitas

the moon
What characters have you done this against? Characters like Marth and shiek are best edgeguarded other ways, the spacies move as fast as you in the air with shorter startup times, Peach Jiggs and samus are like, " we don't care because we can stay in the air forever", so that leaves some mid tier and lower that it may apply to if they are forced into a strict recovery pattern. Meaning that you could easily edgeguard them another way.

So what advantages does the pkt2 edgeguard have over anyone/anything?

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Well... it has a lot of knockback...

Yeah it's mostly useless, but it looks smexy.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Fox and Falco, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf, Luigi if he's already used his second jump(unlikely), pretty much anyone with a predictable trajectory of recovery. I've used it on Fox twice so far, like I said, worked the first time, like a charm. Guy had no idea what I was doing, tried to avoid me, and got punished for it.

There is no one perfect edgeguard. The best edgeguard is always the one that enemy doesn't see coming. But considering that we can't read our opponent's minds, we have to go for the edgeguard that is most likely to succeed based on circumstance and position. This is just another option, and I'm trying to ask if there are any LARGE flaws in the strategy.

It has high knockback, a large range of attack, and it's in a position where the enemy has a limited ability to attack and is infinitely more interested in making sure they survive. If you PK Thunder near the enemy, you also have a high chance of hitting them with a tailwhip(which I actually just discovered while testing this attack today) which lowers their recovery position, throws them slightly off, and keeps them even FURTHER from hitting you while you attempt to PKT2 them.

In addition, you can use Ness's second jump offstage to create even better situations for edgeguarding. For example if you double jump in the same direction that you PK Thunder(using PKT at the same instant as you double jump) then the PKT will start closer to your body, and you'll be able to PKT2 quicker. And if you double jump in the opposite direction that you PKT, then you'll be farther away from it, and unless you're suicidal, farther away from your opponent, which could throw off their estimate of your attack. Think of it as increasing your range, and the ease at which you can decide Ness's direction with the PKT.

Levitas

the moon
careful, spacies can get to the bolt before you by illusioning if you use the up b first, and to be more safe, you should probably use the PKT2 where you circle it between you and the stage.

That said, I'm gonna try it the next time I can.

Note: when a Ness is off the stage, and uses PKT, it has a magnetic effect on opponents. The seem drawn to it, like a moth to the flame. Oh yeah, and if they get there, it assists their recovery AND kills you. Meaning careful is the key word for trying this.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Right, like I said, it's situational. I wouldn't use it on a Spacie I think is going to illusion. I'd just sit back and bat.

I think the strength of this edgeguard is its total range. First off you have a line from yourself to the edge, and if the enemy recovers into that line, they get hit with a huge knockback. Next, although it requires a good bit better timing and is risking, it's also an edgehog technically. Which means if the enemy tries to sweetspot and this edgeguard's first hit fails to hit them, they;re still screwed. And, again with great timing, if they DO go for the stage over the sweetspot, the move has the advantage over an edgehog, since the part just before it hits the stage could potentially hit them even if they miss the sweetspot. So it just has a huge potential for hitting the enemy, if timed right.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
All spacies are gay and need to be taken down a peg.

"Oh, look at me, I play Fox, shine shine shine. Oh look, now I'm winning tournaments, lolz, shine shine shine. Ohmigod, that Ness won't stop uairing me, fail fail fail." X_x

Top Bottom