• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

uses for down B?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Yeah in all the matchs I've played I've never used it much at all.. or found a use for it

If it was like DKs giant punch where you can save it oh man that wouldve been sweet

verditude

Smash Journeyman
Uncharged, I think it's faster than his fair, maybe if you shff it it could be useful?

WFL

Smash Journeyman
Uncharged, I think it's faster than his fair, maybe if you shff it it could be useful?
I'm agreeing with this. It comes out decently quick uncharged has pretty good knockback. Other than that, charging it isn't great because you start taking damage and that isn't really worth it.

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
I can't find any competitive uses for his down B, where down B is the best option, everything else has a use.

Need ideas, good ideas.

yeah, but EVERYTHING ELSE that is like down B can only be done on the ground...let me explain the arial (aerial?) advantage of down b.....

you hit someone with an fsmash or whatever they go flying across the stage and off the edge, start recovering...on their first jump you should have down b charging, then when you make it over to the recovering person, you can meet them in the air with a fully charged hammer, it is like a portable Fsmash, but you cant hold it charged without damage taking.

its underrated, it has its uses.
along with every move in this game
(yeah, jigglys sing doesnt suck!)

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
Ummm, and then they airdodge it and recover

How is that better than using multiple fairs/bairs, its not

you cant airdodge during your upB.
you can use this move to kill link in the end of his up B when hes just about to sweetspot the ledge.
dont get all up in my grill nicktendo!!!!
and dont tell me something isnt as good when it has its own uses.

you cant airdodge in a given direction anymore, if this was melee it wouldnt have as many uses...
(shieks upB, samus's upB, mario/luigi upb, alot can get hit by this...)

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
His Down B comes out faster and has less ending lag when uncharged, but has DREADFUL range. The range increases when charged, it's just a bit slower. As for uses, I'm sure we'll find one!

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
I've seen one DDD get a lot of KOs with the charge, actually. He can jump with it and it comes out fast when you release it, unlike the forward smash.

I don't *really* know though, I don't have the game.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Ummm, and then they airdodge it and recover

How is that better than using multiple fairs/bairs, its not
It could potentially be better because you only hit them once?

The damage is hardly an issue especially since you can walk around with the charge or jump out and hit them or whatever.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
I've heard DK has some super armor frames in his punch, does the jet hammer?

Speaking of, does Dedede have any super armor in any of his moves? I havent heard of anything yet

I didnt mean to sound rude in my last post I just hate this move, I wanted it to be like DKs punch :laugh:

Met

Smash Ace
In the upwards part of his up B also i believe in his inhale there is a bit. As for his downB i really can't find a use for it. Oh btw this is chillins friend from blacksburg i played you online. Anyway you gotta let me know if East Coast Eddie's MK gives you any trouble, I wsh i could have come up to chus biweekly brawl tourney that **** sounds hot.

Zindura

Smash Cadet
I've heard DK has some super armor frames in his punch, does the jet hammer?

Speaking of, does Dedede have any super armor in any of his moves? I havent heard of anything yet
I saw a video somewhere where D3's F-smash had super-armor frames.

I think the Down+B will be an excellent sneak-attack move in free-for-all matches. It seems to execute freakishly fast.

I can't see much application of it otherwise. Charging it makes it predictable, and it doesn't sound like its very good uncharged.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Wait, Super Armor for Inhale? Awesome, a dream come true! Assuming it is true, verification?

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
I also haven't found a use for it, it just doesn't really fit into De's general playstyle (pressure, spacing, CGs and punishing) I could see you throwing it in randomly to mindgame...but besides that, not too useful

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Here's a question, as I do not have the game and I have no idea. I've seen DDD's chain grab, would it be possible to chain grab someone a couple of times (those characters that can be chain grabbed, anyway), and then SHvB them? Does it come out fast enough? If it does decent knockback with no chargeup and it comes out fast enough, that might be a good use. It'd at least be worth it to check it out.

limitbreak

Smash Ace
Here's a question, as I do not have the game and I have no idea. I've seen DDD's chain grab, would it be possible to chain grab someone a couple of times (those characters that can be chain grabbed, anyway), and then SHvB them? Does it come out fast enough? If it does decent knockback with no chargeup and it comes out fast enough, that might be a good use. It'd at least be worth it to check it out.
That sounds good on paper but Im not sure if it would work out. Ive seen some vids where people use it instead of his afa because its somewhat faster. Im sure there will be some kind of use for it though.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Yeah, like I said, it'd probably be worth it for someone to at least test it out. It may work on heavy characters, at the very least. I'm just throwing it out there.

shadowyoshi2345

Smash Journeyman
there are many uses for it, especially edgegaurding

also the fact that you can have it charged and still move around is a plus because if they're coming from off the stage and jump over you, you can just turn right around and BAM

Kicks

Smash Rookie
I'm thinkin' it'd be wonderful for Roll baiting. When you and your opponent are rolling around trying to grab each other, bait a roll as you hit d+B. Because you can change direction AND jump, you have more control than you might with a dSmash (the usual option in this case). You lost meatiness, but hopefully it's strong and the option to chase them if they jump seems good.

-EXO-

Smash Rookie
such a sweet move, id love to see a good use for it. To release it, do you press B again? can you do any other attacks with it out?

OrnageOctopuse

Smash Rookie
such a sweet move, id love to see a good use for it. To release it, do you press B again? can you do any other attacks with it out?
It's like using Marth's neutral B except you can move around with it on. You hold down b and release b to let it swing.

The only real use I've found for it thus far(aside from a lucky fully charged swing) is to use it as a situational damage racker. An instant down b goes lightning fast and does solid damage for such a slow character.

Pi

Smash Hero
I doubt this...but would it be possible to charge your hammer, suck in an opponent, then spit them out and whack em? Or can you only move around and jump with the hammer charging?

GA Peach

Smash Lord
i kind of like due to the speed it comes out and everything. and huge hitstun if they end up shielding it. the thing i can't get used to is the incredibly short and weird hitbox it has. it hits like a freight train, though...

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
maybe its just a move u shouldnt use, unless you want to mock someone

i cant believe you are even saying that.
gah forget it, i dont want you to use it, just let me use it, ill be the 1 ddd player who uses it and i will show you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I WILL SHOW THY MIND WHAT THY EYES REFUSE TO SEE!

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure it'll be a choice move for 2v2 matches. Have one person chase down your opponent, grab them, then have Dedede close in and blast 'em with his Down B.

I can also see it being used off the edge, especially on characters with predictable Up B moves (like Fox and Falcon).

CO18

Smash Hero
I'm sure it'll be a choice move for 2v2 matches. Have one person chase down your opponent, grab them, then have Dedede close in and blast 'em with his Down B.

I can also see it being used off the edge, especially on characters with predictable Up B moves (like Fox and Falcon).
Or you can just play some baseball. lol.

Stand in a spot with the hammer charged and have your teammate throw the opponent into you and you release.

That would be awesome. :)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Dedede's Jet Hammer looks to have only one use: a finisher.

What makes it different from other strong attacks of his? It is chargeable and can be held at maximum charge (though at a penalty), you can move with it, you can jump with it, and you can turn around with it. The uses for the Jet Hammer stem from these advantages.

The problem is that Dedede is actually very vulnerable when using this because something as simple as a projectile can hit him out of it and he's defenseless. And, obviously, while charging it the opponent knows what's coming.

This move would be so much better if you could cancel it without having to use it. Even if the charge wasn't "stored-up" like DKs.

lain

Smash Master
It actually can work well. Not a regular practical thing to do, but it works in some cases.

Like if your opponent is in the air, and you're below him. If you start charging it, a LOT of people try an airdodge past you to avoid being hit. So just wait for the airdodge.

Sex, I swear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom