• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Usefulness

SCOTU

Smash Hero
This will be an ongoing community effort to list all of the most major things that are useful about each of Fox's attacks. This will be a compilation of what sort of situations attacks are good for, what situations they can cause, how they can be used effectively, what they beat that's good to know, and essentially everything about each move that makes it useful that you'd want to know.

Clearly a Work in Progress, I'll get it started a tiny bit while I've got some time, just to get some discussion going.

Normals

Jab
  • Fastest attack
  • leads into 2nd jab or grab

2nd Jab
  • Punisher for shieldgrabbers who grab after your first jab too much

rapid jabs

Ftilt

Utilt
  • Combos into more utilt, jab, grab, usmash, and leads into a near ground airchase
  • Tied (with shine and turn around jab) as the fastest way to hit behind you
  • A mid % utilt can lead nicely into a good setup for a fair/nair

Dtilt

Dash Attack
  • Fastest attack from a run
  • Good way to put someone in the air an uncomfortable (for them) distance away from you
  • Easily meaties through air dodge landings
  • Dash Attack Sheild Cancel Super Seibrek Combo
  • Reasonable crossup option

Smashes

Fsmash

Usmash

Boost Usmash

Dsmash

Aerials

Nair

Fair

Uair

Dair

Bair

Specials

Laser

Fox Fire

Shine

Fox Illusion

Grab

Standing Grab

Running

Pivot Grab

Boost Grab

Fthrow

Uthrow

Dthrow

Bthrow

Defensives

Shield

Spot Dodge

Forward Roll

Backward Roll

Air Dodge

Situationals

Wake Up (Face Down)

Wake Up (Face Up)

Edge Attack (< 100%)

Edge Attack (>= 100%)

Edge Jump

Edge Standup

Edge Roll (< 100%)

Edge Roll (>= 100%)

DarkAura

Smash Lord
DOWN TILT! when spaced correctly put enemy in the perfect position for any aerial, Kills at high percents, and almost always gets the tipper out of your AAA rapid kick

LEARN HOW TO SPACE THIS MOVE PEOPLE

Good idea scotu me likey

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I believe bair is one of Fox's most important attacks...

with proper spacing, it's safe on shield... and autocancels, providing interesting traps into dsmash and utilt, etc... It's also Fox's safest kill move, really... and should be a staple of most Foxes... at least imo.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
shine has basic refleting capabilities, shine stalling, air momentum dodging, combos decently.

F-tilt has good spacing help, as well as the lock if you can ever land it.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
i was actually going to make a straight up moveset discussion thread soon...

but i guess i was beaten to it T_T

SnowballBob33

Smash Ace
Jab- hold to punish spot dodges/ airdodges to the ground
Rapid kicks- used to rack up damage very quickly. not meant for certain opponents like mk or marth because of their up b but can be used for quick damage. if they try to barely di out, u can put up ur shield after they fall out.

RPK

Smash Lord
Standing Grab is really quick, and doesnt have too much lag after it. However, it has a pretty short range to it.

Dash grab is just horrible. It has way too much start up time. He reaches all the way back and then tries to grab. Overall a terrible grab.

Boost Pivot...Need I say more? However, I have been hit out of this, and grabbed as well. Wtf? So best performed up close to prevent yourself from getting...Punished =/ If performed at medium range, the opponent can simply roll back and grab you out of it. It also has the strange ability to grab some people out of the air if Fox flies right by them when theyre about to touch the ground. Its really nice. The grab is also done using his standing grab. So it is really quick. However there is a lot of time where Fox slides and does nothing. So be careful...

D-Throw: Imo, his best throw, and my most loved. When thrown, the lasers can deal up to 9 damage. Afterwards it pops them up where you want them. Into the air. Usually what I love doing with this is a Pseudo Falco chain grab. It only works if they try to DI away. From there you can usually catch them if they dont try to jump away. Depending of if theyre close to the ground, and the character, you can catch them in a fair. If theyre too far away, a dash attack will also catch them and pop them up.

SnowballBob33

Smash Ace
Guys each grab has many uses. I learned how to use each one in a certain way, which is very useful.

Uthrow- Not as bad as I once thought. This grab is more of a mindgame but has good possible outcomes. At low percents, just wait for most people to airdodge then usmash them when they fall. They expect you to follow up with fair or something so you just wait and usmash. At high percents, it leads to uair/ fair. Most people DI up or don't DI that move at all, so when you uthrow them, they stay above you. Just double jump and uair to hit them. It works against most people, but can be dangerous against people like lucario. If they do DI, you can hit them with fair.

Bthrow- I learned this with wolf. When you back throw people somewhat near the edge, 99% of the time they jump. I don't know why, it just works. This is how I used to get easy knees with falcon. Just bthrow, wait for the jump, and knee. With fox, just bthrow, then fair. When they are in the air without a jump, try to keep juggling them.

Dthrow- I use this at low/mid %. See how your opponent reacts. It involves reading patterns and DI, but it does the most damage by itself so its normally a safe choice. Normally I sh ac fair to catch airdodges.

Fthrow- I like this throw a lot. It has guaranteed damage, like dthrow, which is good. At low percents, it has good follow ups. If your opponent likes to shield a lot, just grab them. Some opponents like to spot dodge more, so you can dair them. Once you dair them, fthrow them again. Then they shield and you grab them..... Another good thing about it, is that at mid %s, it hits them so that they fall on their back. Since it has a low launch angle, people normally don't have enough time to tech it or respond, so they end up taking a dash attack after.

Siyro

Smash Journeyman
Fair: Good to put opponents into the air to hit with a well timed aerial.

Dair: As well as it's usefulness on stage, can be used offstage follwed by a shine to gimp characters at low percents. Or if your on really high percent for whatever reason, just take em down with the dair straight to the bottom.

Nair: Quick move to keep people close at low percents for combo potential, or knock your opponent away at higher percents.

Could go on about bair but thats already been stated, and I agree with X, Dtilt is not that great of a move, I used it a few times and found it to be too laggy. Would go on about other moves but I don't have a lot of time at the moment, so those few aerials wll have to do for the moment.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
_X_;8284221 Dash attack is underrated.[/QUOTE said:
DAsh atttack is SO good, like really it ocmes out on frame 5 i think, (or is it 4 >.>) and its like fox's 5th fastest attack.
so using insta dash attack is just a great speedy attack.

_X_

Smash Lord
DAsh atttack is SO good, like really it ocmes out on frame 5 i think, (or is it 4 >.>) and its like fox's 5th fastest attack.
so using insta dash attack is just a great speedy attack.
I think you just need to know how to use it.

Rather, what characters will punish you at low percentages.

Pretty much at 40% plus it's very safe.

C8T

Smash Rookie
If you use dash attack at low percentages it can combo to u-tilt. Basically the only time i use dash attack is at low percentages because imo U-Smash is more valuable at percentages over 40.

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
If you use dash attack at low percentages it can combo to u-tilt. Basically the only time i use dash attack is at low percentages because imo U-Smash is more valuable at percentages over 40.
Dude dash attack to Utilt was found on March 8, 2008 (USA Release of Brawl) :laugh:

You shouldn't stress using your U-smash whenever you want, your lasers replenish your entire moveset. Hit someone with lasers 9 times and your U-smash it damm near brand new as if you just respawned.

Zephil

Smash Ace
... I hate your new avi R00K... well I still think that dair is not as bad as many people say... when you hit with the tip of the tail it combos into a short hop fair at low %... not a a move you have to spam but is not completely useless as many think...

Ok some aspects of some moves:

Fsmash is used to punish rolls
Nair combos to Usmash sometimes like many of you know already
Lasers to replenish moveset
Shine is great to screw the oponents timing
Fox illusion canceled correctly is longer than a normal illusion
you should add fox trotting as a very important aspect of fox game as fox shouldn´t run but always foxtrot

some things fairly known by everyone but just stating them so SCOTU add them to the list

Siyro

Smash Journeyman
... I hate your new avi R00K... well I still think that dair is not as bad as many people say... when you hit with the tip of the tail it combos into a short hop fair at low %... not a a move you have to spam but is not completely useless as many think...
I don't think It's completely useless, but it is definetly not one of the best moves around. I mostly only use it to try and throw off my opponent.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
You can't really categorize any given attack of Fox's without including a context.

That attack you execute comes with so many other setups to get you to that point and so many possibilities afterward that placing a single attack in some sort of cataloged list is completely arbitrary.

It's really not as complicated as some of us would like it to be.
Simply use what works when it works.

TKD

Smash Lord
I played some matches today.

DAIR
Dair can shield-poke (some chars much easier than others) and it can be a safe move when landed moving towards a blocking opponent's backside. Since it can be followed up by Usmash, and more commonly Dsmash, it can be used to set-up edge-guards or KOs. Falling opponents that air-dodge can be caught in Dair if you're sure they'll air-dodge. It's a pretty specific counter so you have to be sure. It works though.

edit: DSMASH
This can shield-poke too. I think it's easier to shield-poke with dair usually though. That I know of, Dsmash shield-pokes Ike and Marth pretty easily.

FAIR
If Marth performs a rising SH Fair and you block it, Fox can SH Fair from block as a punish. They can smash DI upwards from it, but still some damage is done, and Fox is still below the opponent. This brings me to other stuff. Full-hop fair can surprise opponents that expect you to stay near the ground for your juggles.

DASH ATTACK
This move is way too amazing. It's used for juggles. As soon as you see the opponent air-dodging away, Fox can dash attack into them and continue following up. Even if they don't air-dodge and perform an aerial, the dash attack can interrupt the move before their hitbox comes out. So dash attack has a tendency to follow up from dthrow well.

PIVOT GRAB
It's easier to land pivot grabs than standing grabs against falling opponents that you think will air-dodge. This along with the dash attack allow Fox to continue juggling.

NAIR
Nair comes out fast. It's good out of shield. If the opponent's falling and you block an aerial or they just air-dodge you can nair from block or dash up to the opponent and perform nair.

UAIR
I don't use this much, but SH uair is good because of the lack of cool-down if performed well. If the opponent air-dodges through, Fox can utilt or grab them, or move away.

Basically I just typed a lot about juggling. The moves I mentioned are good for juggles. Fair can juggle too, but only if they don't expect it or against certain unfortunate characters that are too big, but at the same time, too fun to play against.

Top Bottom