• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Useful Tech? *VIDEO*

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Ok so I was in the Brawl Tactical Board today and I was reading through a thread that God-Is-My-Rock made about Brawl Wavedash. The video he posted is legit, but it has to do with the crawl behavior that certain characters have and no one really seems to think that it will be very useful. However, one user by the name of COMMANDLIST posted something I found very interesting. He said that yes, "wavedashing" does indeed exist in Brawl in a new form but that doing it the way the OP said to was silly. He said that the best way to go about it is to:

Dash in one direction -> Immediately dash in the other direction -> As soon as you've dashed in the second direction let up on the control stick.

What really caught my eye about this was that he said the only character he's done it with is Falcon. So just now I went into Training Mode and tried it, and it actually works. It's somewhat difficult to do, but I've gotten it to work, and it looks pretty sweet. I'm not saying that this will bust open the metagame or anything, but it certainly seems interesting enough to look into a bit more. I'm not really sure what you'd follow this up with but I'm sure if there's something we as a collective Falcon Force will be able to find it.

BananaTrooper kindly recorded a video of the phenomenon that we've crudely dubbed wavepivot/pivotdash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeMfcZJKb18

NOTE: The most distance I've ever traveled with this technique is from one FD blue stripe to the other. This is significantly further than what you can see in the video. You'll just have to trust me on this one.

Thoughts?

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
It's basically a really fast dash dance, with the 2nd direction input not entered fully (control stick moves as far as neutral position, not too much further).

This seems like it might only be useful for moving backwards, because using it to go forward means you face the wrong direction. You can turn right after, but by then the move will have taken too long I think. Still, I hope we get some use out of this; I'm optimistic to this being implementable, as it didn't take too long to learn how to do (was easier than WD IMO). Ima mess around with it asap.

Try this out guys and post your opinions.

∫unk

Smash Master
CFalcon for top tier?

Seriously have you guys found other characters that this may be viable with? Seems like anyone with a good initial dash may be able to use this.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
This works with every character I've tried (Luigi, Marth, Wolf) so I don't see why it wouldn't work for everyone. Falcon seems to maybe have the longest slide? I'm not sure though. I can see this as a nice option for Marth and other sword users though.

Iwan

Smash Ace
I'm about to mess around with this right now....hardcore.

lol...remember people, use your imaginations. Be creative...try using smash moves out of this, tilts, aerials....specials....

try everything.

let's f***ing find something useful with this.
lol. time to put our heads together.

I'll post anything (if i even find anything), as soon as i wake up.
which, i might not sleep tonight.

because I'll being doing this.
kthnxbye.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Retreating Fsmash

lol actually, I always thought of it as a reverse stutterstep x.x;

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
I don't currently see a use for this. Likewise, I don't foresee any use for this, either. To me it just seems like an idiosyncratic maneuver that's more difficult than most to execute. Furthermore, you have to be FLAWLESS to even come close to Falcon's garbage old wavedash distance. It doesn't do much for his spacing game (which, due to his reckless ground acceleration and massive stopping skids, could stand to see at least some improvement), and as that is the only utility that this technique seems remotely capable of having, well, I'm going to stick this one on the back burner. It's something to mull over once you get to the bottom of Falcon's long laundry list of explorations, in my opinion. Not worth the effort. Someone would have to find something bonkers in order to make this one worthwhile for Falcon, and it would most likely have to be a pure GLITCH. There's no way this will be useful without some ridiculous glitch property. Period.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't be upset with myself if I were wrong. I vaguely hope that I am, though I have confidence in what I just said. I only wish I were very wrong so that Falcon might have a useful tool for a change.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
I don't know why everyone on these boards are concerned about the new WD, honestly it was not very usful in melee, with the exception of breaking falcon's running momentum, what we need to focus on is the new l-cancel, that's the tech that'll put Falcon at top tier again

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I can see your point, Ayaz. It was still useful enough to be worthwhile though. What we really need is a new moonwalk. lol

Also to second Reaver's question, what new L-Cancel? If there is one that would be wicked nice.

Iwan

Smash Ace
I can see your point, Ayaz. It was still useful enough to be worthwhile though. What we really need is a new moonwalk. lol

Also to second Reaver's question, what new L-Cancel? If there is one that would be wicked nice.
He wasn't saying there was an actual L-Cancel in Brawl, he was saying that's what we should be trying to find lol. But yea...L-Canceling....miss it....

As for this pivotdash, i messed around with it last night for about two hours or so, and I didn't really find anything useful for an actual match.

I'll continue to play with it though

Solo Assass1n

Smash Journeyman
Why doesn't everyone just give up on trying to find out a new wavedash? The point of it in Melee was to go a far distance, fast, and efficiently enough to string it with a combo, etc. This isn't getting C. Falcon very far, it's doesn't seem like you can do it fast and consistently either. I don't mean to be pessimistic or anything, but seriously, it doesn't look all that useful.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
Why doesn't everyone just give up on trying to find out a new wavedash? The point of it in Melee was to go a far distance, fast, and efficiently enough to string it with a combo, etc. This isn't getting C. Falcon very far, it's doesn't seem like you can do it fast and consistently either. I don't mean to be pessimistic or anything, but seriously, it doesn't look all that useful.
We didn't find this, neither were we looking for it. We simply happened across someone that happened to find something new. This thread's point is trying to determine the usefulness of this new "something". Your input on the move is appreciated - heck, I'm agreeing with you at this point.

However, even assuming we were actively looking for such exploits, why on earth would you tell us to give up trying? Worst possible scenario, we find nothing, and falcon remains neglected.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
It's a "true" pivot, Phanna made a thread about it. I've been trying since launch but I can't do an utilt or dtilt out of it, lol. Though Phanna says it's possible. The easiest thing is a jab or dsmash.

Solo Assass1n

Smash Journeyman
We didn't find this, neither were we looking for it. We simply happened across someone that happened to find something new. This thread's point is trying to determine the usefulness of this new "something". Your input on the move is appreciated - heck, I'm agreeing with you at this point.

However, even assuming we were actively looking for such exploits, why on earth would you tell us to give up trying? Worst possible scenario, we find nothing, and falcon remains neglected.
I'll admit, I assumed a little too much that it was actively being searched out, but still. It just seems everyone wants to find the first useful one and put wave in front of it so that they get all the fame and glory for finding it, even when they know what they just found was basically pointless.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Ok, so I was experimenting with this today against the computer, and I actually was able to use it in some pretty cool ways. For example:

I was able to juke from one side of the opponent to the other and catch them facing the wrong way. I then was able to attack *with AAA combo especially*

I was also able to juke certain moves and then run forward and Running A or even Ftilt/Fsmash.

I'm not saying this is anything yet, but I at least have now used it in some matches and seen what its uses might be.

Also, if you just assume that you're going to do it right and time the A input accordingly, even if you miss you do a little juke Running A which isn't the worst thing in the world.

While this still may not be useful, I'm having fun experimenting with it.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
It's a "true" pivot, Phanna made a thread about it. I've been trying since launch but I can't do an utilt or dtilt out of it, lol. Though Phanna says it's possible. The easiest thing is a jab or dsmash.
No they arent talking about the true pivot although it may sound like it. If you look up the pivot dash thread there are two ways to produce the slide. The method I posted sounds like the one you are talking about here which is just keeping your momentum without running.

This probably wont be useful as you have to take the time to pivot and then slide which you can be hit out of. It may just be better to pivot and then go into a smash/tilt which you can do in the second part of the pivot animation.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
^Well the thing I'm talking about is the same thing shown in the OP's video... I guess the word 'pivot' has come to refer to a bunch of seperate techniques, lol. So what technique are you talking about? ¯\(ºдಠ)/¯

Top Bottom