• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Use more DownB

Kaffei

Smash Hero
fun fact:
If you're down b "stalling" or whatever you want to call it, if you just hold B and Up When you're about to reappear you will automatically slice ON the stage ( in the direction of the ledge).
I don't get it. Draw a pic plzplzplz

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
First telling the Mario boards to use Dtilt and now telling the MK boards to use Down-B...

Is Pierce on crack? This move sucks.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
peirce use down b more OMG u cant get hit and like wtffff uber priority on marth

Jem.

Smash Master
Down b isn't a safe option. The downtime after he slashes is just too much if they shield it. Plus when you down b they'll know its coming. The better option is to wait for a better approach/opening.

@Kel: I show that on my youtube video "What Metaknight Can Do On Battlefield" I was suprised at the lot of really good metaknight mains that didn't know this. The only downside of that, too, is that if they know about it. Not too many do though.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I can't see how people can contradict themselves so clearly, but perhaps I explained it poorly.

If MK DownB and you shield, he can not attack, and safely assume any location in his radius. If you do NOT shield, you are susceptible to the attack. Therefore, logic seems to suggest that if you do not hit MK out of the start up of this move, you should probably shield. It is not really viable to use an attack near you, because then YOU are the one using a laggy attack to punish something that MIGHT happen, and leaving yourself open, especially if I just teleported a dsmash distance behind you.

What this means is, since DownB frequently causes people to shield, and it's hardly punishable OOS unless you land in grab range like a moron, it basically allows you to move to a more favorable position. You also get additional movement after turning visable, which is WONDERFUL for baiting and escapes (seriously, teleporting towards your opponent, and sliding backwards on reappearance is LOVELY)

So, really simple.

DownB = your opponent shields
opponent's shield = DownB is safe
Opponent doesn't shield = Opponent is not safe.

Therefore, while using DownB does have a risk element, it's actually in MKs favor when used properly. For those of you that use Ftilt to stuff dash in approaches (and get shielded and punished) or use Dsmash when your opponent can shield instead of punishment (which is a lot of you, and sometimes me too), don't give me crap about stuff not being safe. I know you play MK, and you're used to being safe 80% of the time. However, the risk vs. reward for this move is in your favor, especially if you use it primarily to escape dangerous situations, or create openings, without frequently risking the laggy attack.

Jem.

Smash Master
If I'm not mistaken, you can more than likely walk OOS after metaknights down b and punish him.

The real question is, why do it? Why not just wait for a better approach? It isn't a good or reliable kill move, it isn't good to rack up damage. The risk is much much larger than the reward of popping them up.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Once again, I'm not advocating the use of this move as an attack. Perhaps once in a blue you use the attack to rethreaten the opponent into shielding when you use it. Otherwise it is not bad movement at all.

Jem.

Smash Master
I think, the more mindgames you have, the better all of them become

Theres a difference between a mindgame and a safe mindgame :] down b just isnt that safe to possibly get a grab or tilt off if you down b and punish accordingly. I guess if it works it works though, who am I to say if its a good idea or not. More or less, its a guess you're taking, not even really a read.

etecoon

Smash Hero
down B is extremely safe as long as you aren't actually using the attack part of it.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
down B is extremely safe as long as you aren't actually using the attack part of it.
Especially if your opponent shields, and you can react to them not shielding by moving away or attacking. Basically, the movement part is almost always safe unless you land in a stupid place or get hit out of start-up (in which case, you're doing it wrong.)

Jem.

Smash Master
Especially if your opponent shields, and you can react to them not shielding by moving away or attacking. Basically, the movement part is almost always safe unless you land in a stupid place or get hit out of start-up (in which case, you're doing it wrong.)
Why would you down b just to walk away from the opponent? That seems kind of odd. Unless me posting at 6:30 AM without sleeping again is catching up to me..

I will try to incorporate some down b's and see how it goes.

Jem.

Smash Master
Meta-Master: true that. Mew2King and I in winners semi-finals of Tourneyplay 3 both killed each other with down b in the first match haha. we just kind of looked at each other wondering why the other would even try it.

Top Bottom