• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

USB Gecko is the new Action Replay! (added potential goals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I would gladly pay $50 for melee with new characters, revamped old ones, new stages, some physics changes, and online. AKA brawl without tripping, more hitstun, and nerfed camping. A brawl that actually makes offensive play viable would be ungodly. A brawl in which shields AREN'T broken, in which combos actually EXIST (yes, it would be a lot of codes to change stuff on a move-by-move basis, but if a code package is getting distributed, that isn't as big of a problem), in which dash tripping is gone (no banana tripping would be ********, as that's the whole point of their existence, and move tripping is fine imo), and in which *certain* projectiles are toned down would be amazing. I actually don't mind brawl's gravity. I've gotten used to it after playing enough, and if we change the gravity or game speed, we'd have to make a ton of other changes, too, to keep any form of balance, which is really just unfeasible, and it would also turn off a lot of people to actually playing the different format. The addition of real dashdancing, E4All L-canceling, etc, would be excellent, but really, I just want to see a game that isn't dominated by camping. A game that actually encourages people to approach the foe, and to have incentive not to mess up.

I don't think this will ever become a competitive standard, but eh... it'd be nice if there were tournies hosted with this format, in addition to the regular format. I'd like to clarify that I do like brawl. I just don't like the fact that the defender always has the advantage in every possible situation, and this could fix that.

At the very least this will be useful for collecting data about the game, and of course for fooling around offline. I'd like to point out that whether we mod the game or not, people will still buy this thing and use it online. It doesn't matter what we do, as people will do that regardless.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
It'd be sweet to mess things around in Brawl to make it more like Melee but sadly I don't see the competitive community buying into it as a whole. It would just end up being too much of a hassle and the only people who would be interested in dealing with it for every tournament and every single time they wanted to play would be the hardcore competitive smashers who make up a very small minority of the smash community. I just can't see it becoming any sort of competitive standard regardless of how cool it could be.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
We don't hack games to suit us in Competitive gaming. That's not playing the game as it was programmed, that's taking a game and re-shaping it in your own imagine. So this might work out great if we can hack the game to make it playable outside of tournaments, but the scene will not resort to hacking the game to make it playable.

If it isn't playable as it is programmed, then we just won't play it.

Sai Winner of Games

Smash Cadet
somewhere between the 10th and 11th dimensions
NNID
SpiralDragon
3DS FC
1822-0827-5656
We don't hack games to suit us in Competitive gaming. That's not playing the game as it was programmed, that's taking a game and re-shaping it in your own imagine. So this might work out great if we can hack the game to make it playable outside of tournaments, but the scene will not resort to hacking the game to make it playable.

If it isn't playable as it is programmed, then we just won't play it.
I think you are looking at it the wrong way. A lot of games today and in the past have come with map editors so the community can shape content the way they want. I know for Warcraft III, this has been really successful, as was mentioned above. Did you know a lot of Warcraft III map makers, not only used the map editor, but they also edited the *.mpq file directly to get even more customization options. This is not too far from what DragonBlade is trying to do. I see this as the same type of project, a mod or custom game. Hacking is not the right word in my opinion, as it gives it a negative connotation. Looking back, both Counter Strike and DotA were both mods of their original game, and they both seem to have tournament scenes around them.

I think this is a good idea. I've always wanted to make custom games for Warcraft III, but never had time for it really. This sounds really interesting though.

In addition, with this tool, I think it might be possible to change the 3 minute replay limit. I made a thread about why it should be possible in the past, and this tool should allow it to happen.

Cookiez

Smash Ace
Im saying because you cant gimp as easy (like keeping in the hitstun) makes the game have more defense which means there is many more mindgames going on.
More defensive games by no account have "more mindgames". That setence was pure idocy, offensive mindgames are just as plentiful as defensive mindgames in most fighting games. Brawl itself though having more defensive options, by that by NO MEANS has more potential for mindgames than Melee. In fact, one could argue due to the removal of many techniques, Melee was infact the game with greater potential. Everything you've been saying seems to point towards a lack of competetive gaming knowledge in total, so I have a hard time taking most of your points seriously.

Also, I love DragonBlade.

Additionally, I'm really hoping this USBGecko lives up to my expectations of it :D.

Cookiez

Smash Ace
no cookiez it means the attacker has to use mindgames in order to beat the camper, honestly your an idiot.
Honestly, you did realise forgetting to put an apostraphe in "you're" will most likely bring devine wrath upon you? I'll pass over it though :chuckle:.

Nonetheless, please post semi-coherently. I never stated that the attacker did not need to use mindgames (hate the term) to be the camper, only that a more defensive game does not neccesarily create oppertunities for more mindgames than an offensively based one. But i'm guessing you misconstrued my post somehow.

Lol, so true flyinfilipino.

mangodurban

Smash Journeyman
you didnt read what i was saying obviously, because all you can talk about is the fact that it deals with football. Honestly, read my analogy because your trying to make me seem dumb when its obvious you just disagree with. You have no clue what i know and seem to only read the first line of my comments and dont truly try to grasp what i am saying. Please read ALL of my football analogies and maby you wont be such a ****. See i had to call you something. Also, jesus if you think you know so much then honestly play me, cause im tired of your negative feedback on everything i say. - oh and too cookiez about my grammer, you understood what i said and really, who cares about grammar, its irrelevant to smash. If you want to flame my grammar go grade my english papers.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
you didnt read what i was saying obviously, because all you can talk about is the fact that it deals with football. Honestly, read my analogy because your trying to make me seem dumb when its obvious you just disagree with. You have no clue what i know and seem to only read the first line of my comments and dont truly try to grasp what i am saying. Please read ALL of my football analogies and maby you wont be such a ****. See i had to call you something. Also, jesus if you think you know so much then honestly play me, cause im tired of your negative feedback on everything i say.
Please, no need to go all nuts on me. I hate to be a little off-topic, but I did read through all your analogies, I do understand what you're trying to get at, but it's just bad. I would argue with you on the other thread, but it seems like you're not willing to do so in a calm manner.

Also, I don't have Brawl (or a Wii for that matter).

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
I would love to see this work. It could add so much.
It goes back to people already doing stuff like this. In Total Annihilation The online community is still doing stuff to that game IE new units levels whatever.

It's gonna take a while before anything close to final version is done.

This just means there will be new stuff forever.
Different mode not done yet, Items that have deferent effects, or even pokeballs where 1 pokemon is more likely than another.

Cookiez

Smash Ace
In addition to what flyinfilipino has said, i'm afraid you havn't actually responded or rebutted my last post. Is that because I was correct?

mangodurban

Smash Journeyman
im just sayin man, you act like im talking out my ***, but ive played an average of like 6 hours a day, and i have seen so much potential in the game that people are disappointed with before they even give it time. It frustrates me after a decade of loving smash to see people say it sucks all the time when that is not the case. I refuse to respond to this thread or any of you any more because all you do is quote me and try to make me seem dumb with no evidence or right to do so. I am tired of only getting negative feedback, for my positive comments about brawl. This divide in the community sickens me, and makes me want to go back to when I didn't put my 2 cents in. Because no matter what my 2 cents says, it seems, im going to get flamed and portrayed as dumb. that sir i am not, and when it comes to smash it i am very confident in my skills and knowledge of the physics. goodbye flamers, i will only respond to positive feedback and I hope one day you learn to love brawl as i have and see it as a whole different beast than melee.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
im just sayin man, you act like im talking out my ***, but ive played an average of like 6 hours a day, and i have seen so much potential in the game that people are disappointed with before they even give it time. It frustrates me after a decade of loving smash to see people say it sucks all the time when that is not the case. I refuse to respond to this thread or any of you any more because all you do is quote me and try to make me seem dumb with no evidence or right to do so. I am tired of only getting negative feedback, for my positive comments about brawl. This divide in the community sickens me, and makes me want to go back to when I didn't put my 2 cents in. Because no matter what my 2 cents says, it seems, im going to get flamed and portrayed as dumb. that sir i am not, and when it comes to smash it i am very confident in my skills and knowledge of the physics. goodbye flamers, i will only respond to positive feedback and I hope one day you learn to love brawl as i have and see it as a whole different beast than melee.
We're not flaming here (most of us anyway), but this isn't a "Oh Brawl is great! so and so" or a "Brawl sucks, so and so" thread. However, if you say something controversial, be prepared to get feedback on it, positive or negative, depending on what you're saying. People aren't just going to agree with you all the time. Oh well, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Uh, I'm leaving too, since this is totally off-topic.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
Beyond getting rid of tripping and maybe MAYBE getting some more hitstun I don't think this should be done. I don't think its good to fool with the overall physics of the game otherwise it really is just melee and we could just go back to it. I want to play brawl- With floaty physics

Oh and by saying that tournaments should adopt this it really means that most people should play this way. Why?Look at items. Alot of people like playing with items but most tournies don't use them. Since these people actually want to get good and actually want to compete with the pros they will follow the community. So if this becomes the norm most people will follow and people who don't hack will be play in their obscure local tournies.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
This could quite possible be a disaster for the online part of brawl. Soon I will wonder why each of fox's lasers is doing 10 damage to me, and why Mario "seems" to have super armor on all of his attacks. Because of its pace, smash will be greatly affected by cheaters that cannot be easily detected. This may be great for offline tourneys, but may mean the end of respectable online play.
Before anyone starts running stupid ideas let us get something straight.

Such codes such as damage determination CANNOT BE EDITED ONLINE!.

If my wii says laser deals 100% damage it will still only deal out the regular 1-3%. Such things as that are NOT shared online.

The only thing that shoulkd be changed is the removal of tripping. Don't mess with hitstun and don't mess with anything else, just remove or edit things that are truly random. WHy?

because brawl=/= melee.
If you wish for melee style game melee is still there.
There is a difference between helping to make a game more competitive and just chaning the gameplay and function of the game.

Remove tripping but thats it.'

Oh and yes Is ay this as a person who makes codes.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Before anyone starts running stupid ideas let us get something straight.

Such codes such as damage determination CANNOT BE EDITED ONLINE!.

If my wii says laser deals 100% damage it will still only deal out the regular 1-3%. Such things as that are NOT shared online.
Taking into consideration that DS online is similar to Wii online and vice-versa, that may not be true (it's difficult to tell at this point too, with Gecko cheats only recently being possible). In Mario Kart DS, I tested the effects of using a character mod to make certain other players online become a Shy Guy. It ONLY worked on the host (1st player), even though I was 3rd player, so it affected the other guy. I did more research, and it looks like the affected players can see it too, so it's not just a visual illusion on my side only - it actually affects other players.

The same could apply here. It'll be difficult to get codes to only work for you unless someone gets a "Force You to Become Host" code, but rest assured, hackers will devise other codes that affect others' advantages over you, which inherently affect your play (forced character changes, stage select overrides, it's all feasible online. It'll become a problem too, since we all know the mentality that one should be able to play on all stages and use all characters as well as others is BS, and whether or not you believe it, you should see it as a flawed ideal).

Of course, we shouldn't worry about damage modifiers and such being spreadable online, or at least a common problem, unless it's an universal mod code...

Now I'll be able to sleep soundly at night should you prove me wrong, but the danger is there of course.

The only thing that shoulkd be changed is the removal of tripping. Don't mess with hitstun and don't mess with anything else, just remove or edit things that are truly random. WHy?

because brawl=/= melee.
If you wish for melee style game melee is still there.
There is a difference between helping to make a game more competitive and just chaning the gameplay and function of the game.

Remove tripping but thats it.'

Oh and yes I say this as a person who makes codes.
Agreed, this is the only thing that should happen; remove tripping. Everything else works as intended. We don't need to make or break characters by modifying gravity or hitstun, or add any extra artificial elements such as L-canceling in either. Just remove the unnecessary randomness and most of us should be happy.

Granted, if the first post only suggested removal of tripping, we wouldn't have all this lively discussion on editing other ****, now would we?

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
I agree, the removal of tripping is the most important thing. I would like to see more hitstun and stuff like that, but the posters above me are right, it could really break the game.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
@mangodurban, stop insisting people should play you to settle arguments. It doesn't matter if you can beat me or if I can beat you, we're talking here. We're discussing. Would your ability to beat me in a match suddenly make my opinions worthless? No. Cut out this "screw debate, it's time for fisticuffs" macho bullcrap. "Ok well, since I beat you up, that means I'm right about the Sun orbiting the Earth. Better luck next time"

@Yuna, to claim that such a practice flat out does not happen is just silly, I'd assume you'd know better. There are plenty of examples where a modified version of a game gained as much popularity as the original game. The best example, probably, is the already-mentioned Counterstrike. As further, less-complete overhauls, there are plenty of people who play far more custom "Use Map Settings" maps in Starcraft than maps that preserve actual Starcraft play. In games with map editors, it's not the slightest bit uncommon for maps to arise that completely ignore a game's original playstyle and create a new, unique one. In Myth2, a lot of players only really play Mazzarin's Demise anymore, a series of custom survival coop maps, completely different from typical versus online maps.

Most importantly, I don't think anyone is suggesting modified Brawl as a replacement standard for competitive play, just a potential alternative. There's really nothing innately wrong or doomed-to-failure with the idea.

mangodurban

Smash Journeyman
Taymond, i do not like to respond irrelevant feedback but the guy called me a noob. Do i not have the right to want to prove him wrong. if it was you, i cant remember, i asked him if he wanted to play. i did not tell him to. I i want to play smash with someone it is my right and you are not the ****ing smash police.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Here's the problem: He didn't call you a noob. You overreact, almost as a rule.

You need to understand that when someone disagrees with you, they're not necessarily attacking you, so you have no right responding defensively or counter-aggressively when no aggression was actually shown to you. You have overreacted to every single comment directed towards you in this thread, and in most other threads I've seen you post in.

If someone posts with a counter-argument to something you've said, the appropriate response is not "**** you, **** this, **** everything, **** **** ****, let's ****ing go you ****ing punk i'll **** you the **** up in ****ing smash. ****." This is a discussion forum. More often than not, someone calmly, politely disagrees with something you've said, and you start swearing and attacking them and calling them "noobs." You jumped to the conclusion that he was one of Gimpyfish's puppet followers who had never played the game because he doesn't own a Wii. You're the one that jumped to an unwarranted conclusion, not him.

Take. It. Easy.

mangodurban

Smash Journeyman
maybe, in your eyes but apart form me challenging him ive done nothing but discuss. I only **** people when they call me idiot or noob, and either way its stars im not saying anything. *************
what did that say, you dont know. I am all about discussion but if im met with hostility im going to call you a ****. ************************************************************** - im completely tired of this thread and people openly thrashing me and i respond and then someone quotes me and says blah blah blah like someone will do to this comment and it will create a endless cycle of me looking, seeing flaming, responding, and receiving more flaming. You say your here to discuss, but most of your comments are to flame what i have said.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
This could either completely improve Brawl or completely **** it up.
In ways I agree like how can you say that by taking out tripping you wouldn't be improving the game (though strangley now after 2 months tripping seems to be so much less noticable, mabye its just that I have adapted to it more but then again ALL the changes from melee I have started to adapt to).

Then theres the other side. With a pretty solid fanbase (and with the coming of brawls a lot more noobs, not saying I hate them all, only most of them). What the point is with this many people you would think that at least 1/12 of them (that have wifi) would go on wifi and totally ruin the match.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
No, mangodurban, that's where your wrong. You misinterpret every comment as an attack upon yourself. Very few of my comments have been at all personally aggressive towards you, and even those are very slight! This is exactly the freaking problem! I'm not attacking you, but you think I am, so you attack me back. You're not justified because I wasn't attacking you in the first place. No one was.

I am here to discuss, you just seem to think any conflicting opinion is a personal insult. It's not. That's what discussion is, conflicting opinions.

And Yawgmoth (Oh no, the Ineffable!) is right. As I've already pointed out, your first post in this thread was aggressive. How can you claim to have been responding to a personal attack, there? You've also displayed several times that you're unclear about what this thread even IS. This isn't a Brawl vs. Melee thread, so why are all your posts tailored to fit that discussion?

We're just talking about an option here. We're certainly not pushing anything on anyone. And we're not, excluding your posts, attacking each other. Do you see anyone else acting as violently as you in this thread?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Then theres the other side. With a pretty solid fanbase (and with the coming of brawls a lot more noobs, not saying I hate them all, only most of them). What the point is with this many people you would think that at least 1/12 of them (that have wifi) would go on wifi and totally ruin the match.
Ugh. Why don't people get this? Regardless of whether we encourage the use of a modified game or not, people are STILL going to use this device to cheat on wifi. It just... happens. There is no online game that where if there is an option to cheat, there is no cheating. It will exist regardless. If this was never even brought up here, we would STILL see hackers online. Now, this WILL increase those numbers, yes, but it is NOT an issue worth worrying about. If someone is a known cheater, you just... don't play with them. FCs mean that you'll only be playing in pre-arranged matches, which actually does help to cut down on the hacking problems one would face in most game's online play. No one plays "with anyone." As for online tourneys? It's the same thing. The very fact the device exists could make cheating a problem. People are going to abuse this device no matter what happens. That has no bearing on whether we use this to modify the game in a controlled environment, however.

edit: Why are people still responding to this mangodurban guy, anyway? He's just trolling, and judging by some of your responses, he's winning.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Dear Jesus, this might finally turn Brawl into the ever so desired Melee 2.0...YES!

Grandeza

Smash Master
Ok I think the only thing we should change is the tripping. If we start tampering with gravity everyone will have to buy this device in order to keep up in tournaments. I think that it would be going too far to change character stats, gravity and other things. Tripping I wouldn't care though. Sorry if this has been touched upon as I didn't read every page.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Ok I think the only thing we should change is the tripping. If we start tampering with gravity everyone will have to buy this device in order to keep up in tournaments. I think that it would be going too far to change character stats, gravity and other things. Tripping I wouldn't care though. Sorry if this has been touched upon as I didn't read every page.
Agreed.
Although, I think I could live with tripping if I had to.

Maybe we should all start a petition and send a giant email to Sakurai, demanding a small update that removes tripping to be downloaded through wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom