• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

US No Longer Fattest in the World

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
That's right, the US is no longer the fattest country in the world, it's now my country Australia!

Now I've been to the US, I've seen how common fast food places are so this has me really surprised. Have people in the US finally started to wake up to the so called "obesity epidemic"? Unlikely as still 25% of people in the US are obese as opposed to 26% in Australia.

What surprises me most about this is that quite often people on lower incomes rely on fast food as a quick, cheap alternative to cooking themselves and since the US has a higher percentage of people below the poverty line than Australia you would expect the weight statistics to follow.

Please post your thoughts on what could be the cause of these somewhat alarming statistics:
http://www.theage.com.au/national/nine-million-australians-are-a-ticking-fat-bomb-20080619-2tjv.html

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
We're number one, we're number one....

Maybe all the really fat people have died in the US, thus we now have the higher number?

M@v

Subarashii!
We dont have the highest percent of fat people anymore? I got an idea. Maybe people figure if they lose weight, they will get better gas mileage in their cars :confused:

Amide

Smash Lord
Eh, 1% less isn't that much. But this comes as a surprise to me.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
The US is currently going through a lot of advertising and programs to encourage obese people to lose weight. I guess it's slowly working...

EDIT: I thought it was ironic that the ad on this page says "Are you fat? Find out!"

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
What surprises me most about this is that quite often people on lower incomes rely on fast food as a quick, cheap alternative to cooking themselves
Actually it seems cheap but in the long run buying normal food from supermarkets is a lot cheaper than buying fast food all the time.
Unless its the other way around in America than is to Greece!

Doxa

Smash Rookie
What surprises me most about this is that quite often people on lower incomes rely on fast food as a quick, cheap alternative to cooking themselves and since the US has a higher percentage of people below the poverty line than Australia you would expect the weight statistics to follow.

Its actually much cheaper to cook at home AND the fuel cost of driving increases the "total cost" so I don't think this statement is valid. I'm pretty sure that fast food is more popular among working class to lower middle class though, which the United States has more of. So maybe that validates it.

The only real advantage of fast food is its quick to acquire and quick to cleanup.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
We're number one, we're number one....

Maybe all the really fat people have died in the US, thus we now have the higher number?
Your Australian, cool, I like accents and wish a I had one, I guess me saying vanilla weird doesnt count.
I say Vuh-nil(rhyming with eel)-uh rather than Van-nel-uh.

And a lower percentage of fat people in the US than Australia, gee, we must be slacking at simplifying life.
But, the US has more, due to a larger population.

Sworddancer9034

Smash Apprentice
We dont have the highest percent of fat people anymore? I got an idea. Maybe people figure if they lose weight, they will get better gas mileage in their cars :confused:
LOL both are good suggestions.

Though I think the US is still the fattest. It might be true that Australia is beating the US by 26% to 25%, but when you consider how many more people live in the US then Australia (I don't know the actural numbers, I'm just estimating), 26% in Australia is like 1-5% in the US. Basically what Johnthegalactic said.

So yeah the US is still number 1!

I did my research and...

Australia's population: a bit above 20,000,000

US population: a bit above 300,000,000

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
21,328,050 is Australia's population. There are 5545293 obese Australians.
304,385,000 is the USA's population. There are 76096250 obese Americans. (siggable, lol).

Australia has the highest concentration, but the US has the highest numbers, well, unless China or India have a good percentage that amounts to something.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Except they eat healthy and aren't rich enough to just do nothing

Australia is still the fattest nation because you can't judge by base numbers, otherwise it just means who has a larger population. Australia is the fattest because there is a 1% more chance that if you pick and Australian and an American at random, the Australian will be obese.

Sworddancer9034

Smash Apprentice
Except they eat healthy and aren't rich enough to just do nothing

Australia is still the fattest nation because you can't judge by base numbers, otherwise it just means who has a larger population. Australia is the fattest because there is a 1% more chance that if you pick and Australian and an American at random, the Australian will be obese.
Emm... I guess you got me there, I didn't consider that. :ohwell:

Blackadder

Smash Master
Well, lookie that.
Is this counting all of those fat 5 year olds I keep seeing around, or was there an age limit or such?

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
I did my research and...

Australia's population: 20,434,176

US population: 301,139,947
i'm surprised that the figure you provided for the population of the U.S. has nine significant figures. promptly cite this research and tell me how it can estimate to the exact digit. i'll need to know the exact minute and second that this data was taken. if you cannot do so, then your entire argument is baseless and shall be ignored.

Sworddancer9034

Smash Apprentice
i'm surprised that the figure you provided for the population of the U.S. has nine significant figures. promptly cite this research and tell me how it can estimate to the exact digit. i'll need to know the exact minute and second that this data was taken. if you cannot do so, then your entire argument is baseless and shall be ignored.
Geez.... everyone's picking on me. :(

I got my information by simply googling it. I have realized that the number, by now, is not the same as it was. Also, I can not provide the information you have asked for. So I have edited my post to see fit.

But then again, Eor already pointed out how my argument was flawed (in another way), and I admitted to this, so my argument was already made invalid awhile ago.

L__

Smash Master
^^Lol. Good question.

Anyways, fat people. Yaaaaaay!

We beat Australia by 1%!!

When America has run out of space and eventually starts sinking due to the fat of those stupid obese idiots, I'll ship myself to Asia.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well, lookie that.
Is this counting all of those fat 5 year olds I keep seeing around, or was there an age limit or such?
Pfft...fatness. We're finally second. Someone beat us. WOAWZ! We're still a bunch of stupid, lazy, and retarted fat ***** as far as I care. I don't really care what excuses or issues they have. It's their own **** faults when they have cheaper, better, tastier, and healtier alternatives all around them, instead of this fast food junk. A few pounds overweight who really gives a crap? But when you see so many people over 100 pounds, it is just ridiculous. Maybe some people are dumb enough to see "Super Size Me", see a bunch of 400 lbs guys, laugh, and not realize they weight 500 lbs themselves! :laugh:

It astonished me how lazy people can be...and I used to think I was lazy. I swear, not very many people go outside and do some physical exercise these days. Sports, games, swimming, anything. Everyone is inside, getting their brain sucked inbewteen two antennas because they are too stupid to think for themselves.

Anyways...congratz to the Aussies for outfatting us. Maybe we can have a national sumo wrestling competition! :laugh:

Good luck fitting in your cars, though. I see people so often that I wonder how they can fit. Maybe the $4.60/$4.70 for a galloon of gas forces them to be healthier, and lose weight. Actually, nah! I keep seeing more and more fat people, and they keep getting bigger and bigger. It just keeps getting more and more ridiculous. I swear, I'm always surrounded by fat people...and they keep multiplying and having fat babies! :laugh:

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Pfft...fatness. We're finally second. Someone beat us. WOAWZ! We're still a bunch of stupid, lazy, and retarted fat ***** as far as I care. I don't really care what excuses or issues they have. It's their own **** faults when they have cheaper, better, tastier, and healtier alternatives all around them, instead of this fast food junk. A few pounds overweight who really gives a crap? But when you see so many people over 100 pounds, it is just ridiculous. Maybe some people are dumb enough to see "Super Size Me", see a bunch of 400 lbs guys, laugh, and not realize they weight 500 lbs themselves! :laugh:

It astonished me how lazy people can be...and I used to think I was lazy. I swear, not very many people go outside and do some physical exercise these days. Sports, games, swimming, anything. Everyone is inside, getting their brain sucked inbewteen two antennas because they are too stupid to think for themselves.

Anyways...congratz to the Aussies for outfatting us. Maybe we can have a national sumo wrestling competition! :laugh:

Good luck fitting in your cars, though. I see people so often that I wonder how they can fit. Maybe the $4.60/$4.70 for a galloon of gas forces them to be healthier, and lose weight. Actually, nah! I keep seeing more and more fat people, and they keep getting bigger and bigger. It just keeps getting more and more ridiculous. I swear, I'm always surrounded by fat people...and they keep multiplying and having fat babies! :laugh:
What is wrong with being over 100lbs? Is anorexia hot and hip now?
Maybe you should edit out the one and insert a 2? Cause I am very thin and weigh about 120lbs, and am 5'8"(I get my exercise too).
I haven't seen gas for $4.60 yet, or even $4, hopefully I am not a minority, but highest I have seen it was on the threshold of $4.
And yes, plenty of fatties in the US still, office jobs, driving insanely short distances, unused bikes, complaints about air pollution, fast food three times a day, the microwaves(stirring and turning a few knobs is hard).
There is a increase in technology we don't understand, and a decrease in simple tasks such as baking bread(so rewarding) or rotating pedals to make a bike carry you somewhere.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
What is wrong with being over 100lbs? Is anorexia hot and hip now?
Maybe you should edit out the one and insert a 2? Cause I am very thin and weigh about 120lbs, and am 5'8"(I get my exercise too).
I haven't seen gas for $4.60 yet, or even $4, hopefully I am not a minority, but highest I have seen it was on the threshold of $4.
And yes, plenty of fatties in the US still, office jobs, driving insanely short distances, unused bikes, complaints about air pollution, fast food three times a day, the microwaves(stirring and turning a few knobs is hard).
There is a increase in technology we don't understand, and a decrease in simple tasks such as baking bread(so rewarding) or rotating pedals to make a bike carry you somewhere.
Read in context, he was obviously saying "100 pounds overweight" not just "100 pounds."

Puddin

Smash Lord
It's because of the Wii, sure it doesn't provide THAT much exercise but it's been nearly two years so our fatties have had time to lose 1% of their weight...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581

Yay Vegas...maybe not many fat people like living in a"gritzy" desert. I don't see a lot of obese people around if at all, or at least I am incapable of recalling a time I have.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
That kinda sux, i enjoy making fun of america and the ppl in it....

but oh, well i still have more than enuff ammo in george bush

but i do enjoy being ahead of the knowledge curve cause i dont think this info has circulated too much yet.

EDIT: ROFL @ terios. smash kingdom FTW

Sage07

Smash Apprentice
The US might be losing weight because of the outrageous prices on foods, ......>.> would u rather have lower gas prices or food prices. But like the rest of you im shocked.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Whoots! Amurica!

It's easy to see why people are starting to lose weight. Nobody really wants to be fat and nobody really wants to be with fat people. Unless youre both fat. The i guess everyone wins. Cept elevators i guess.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
This suprised me real bad O_o I always thought America was the most obese country in the world by FAR. And I certainly wouldn't have thought the Aussies with their boomeroos and kangarangs (credit goes to Tom ;D) would be able to surpass that.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Maccas is just easier than hitting a kangaroo with a boomerang.

Top Bottom