• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

URI Con '09 - University of Rhode Island, Feb. 20-22, featuring all 3 Smash games

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
[some details pending]

Intro: URI Con is an annual event held by the gaming club at URI where we rent out rooms in the student union and host different games all weekend. As usual, we're having some Smash tournaments to try to reach the off-campus crowds. To participate, it's just $3 and covers you for all three days. You're free to come participate in anything you want besides for Smash; there will be a bunch of other video games, some board games, and some tabletop RPGs.

Update: Here is the full schedule. All the things listed at the same time are held in different rooms.
Friday:
6 PM - Super Smash Bros (64)
6 PM - Friday Night Magic
6 PM - Left4Dead
6 PM - Crash Team Racing
6 PM - Dungeons and Dragons

Saturday:
10 AM - Carcassone
10 AM - Dungeon of Fear
1 PM - Super Smash Bros. Melee
1 PM - Magic The Gathering (draft tournament)
1 PM - Gears of War 2
1 PM - FIFA 2009
1 PM - Vampire: The Masquerade
1 PM - Mini-Games (Mario Party, Wii Play, etc.)
4 PM - Halo 3
4 PM - Rock Band / Guitar Hero
4 PM - Call of Cthulhu
4 PM - Munchkin
8 PM - Fighting Games tournament
8 PM - Call of Cthulhu
8 PM - Warhammer 40k
8 PM - Call of Duty: World at War

Sunday:
10 AM - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
10 AM - Paranoia
10 AM - Dungeon of Fear 2 (must have played DOF1)
10 AM - Vampire: The Masquerade
2 PM - Fighting games (casual play)
2 PM - Yu-Gi-Oh card tournament
2 PM - Highschool Deathmatch
2 PM - Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 ed.

Also, there will be a board game room Friday from 6-12 and Saturday from 10-8, and there will be an anime room all three days.

If you have any questions about any of the events or want more details, let me know.

50 Lower College Road, Kingston, RI
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...,-71.529236&spn=0.123153,0.30899&z=12&iwloc=A (the union is the large building directly to the left of the marker)

Friday - Super Smash Bros. 64
Time: 6 PM

This is going to be a more casual tournament, and there won't be any prizes. This will probably be smaller than the other two, some come by if you want to enjoy some friendly matches.

Saturday - Super Smash Bros. Melee
Time: 1 PM

IMPORTANT UPDATE: There will probably be no prizes for this unless I somehow manage to get some in the next 2 days. Sorry for the inconvenience and the lack of any real reason for you to come to this, but please consider coming anyway to help support our club.

Rules: Standard SBR ruleset.
Block-o'-text borrowed from Ace due to better formatting

Melee Rules

Items are set to off and none
4 stock, 8 minutes
All sets are best of 3 matches, and best of 5 for winner's finals, loser's finals, and grand finals
In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
No player may choose the stage they last won on
Each player may strike one stage at the beginning of a match
Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played
Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match
The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)

Starters
Final Destination
Dream Land 64
Battlefield
Yoshi’s Story
Pokemon Stadium
Fountain of Dreams

Counters
Mute City
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Pokefloats
Kongo Jungle 64
Jungle Japes
Green Greens
Corneria

All other stages are banned.

General Rules:

• The Mages DQ Rule is applicable when a player is late for a match and it goes as follows:
-2 Minutes Late – Warning
-4 Minutes Late – Loss of first match of set
-6 Minutes Late – Loss of set

If there's any confusion over these rules or if I messed up something copying and pasting, let me know.

Sunday - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Time: 10 AM

I am co-running this event, but I'll also be participating in it (this is why there will be other people helping me, so this will not become an issue)

Rules:

• 3 Stock, 8 minute timer, items are set to "off" and "none," all matches are best 2 out of 3 with the exception of Winners Finals, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals (all to be played 3 out of 5)
• First game is double blind character, random stage.
• Second and third games, loser of the previous game picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character.
• No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
• Stage Strike: Each person strikes two stages for the entire set. One neutral stage, one counterpick stage. The neutral can't be played on the first game, and the counterpick can't be used during the set. Consider the chosen neutral a counterpick stage, and the chosen counterpick a banned stage. You can Strike a nuetral twice(the first turns it into a counterpick, the second striking it from that list as well.)
• In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
• If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. If a tie still occurs, play a one stock match in the same match-up, character-wise and stage-wise.
• Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
• If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
• You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
• Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
• Stalling is banned (The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 250% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.)
• Dedede's Standing Infinite IS BANNED. The wall infinite, because there are no permawalled stages on is legal but is subject to the 250% stalling rule.

Starters (Set to Random):
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counter Picks:
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Jungle Japes
Lylat Cruise
Norfair
Pictochat
Pokémon Stadium 1
Rainbow Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Green Greens

All other stages are banned.

Other info: All of these tournaments are going to be singles only. We don't have all day for these rooms since we need to run other events, so we won't have time for more than one.

For the SSBM and SSBB tournaments, bring your own controller.

We do not have a lot of TVs for this, so if you are willing to bring a TV, Cube with Melee, and/or Wii with Brawl, please post here and let me know. The more setups we have, the faster and more efficiently the tournament can get done.

As far as friendlies go, we want to have some TVs set aside just for friendly matches (so we don't alienate the on-campus people who might show up after the tournaments start). This obviously depends on how many setups we have, so again, try to bring some if you can.

If you need any more information, you can ask here or IM me at hotdogturtle on AIM.

Definitely going. Not a chance I'd miss it.

Also, I was hoping someone could have a place me and a friend could stay Saturday night. It's not that Kingston's far (I live in Providence), but it's a pain in the *** to drive down there and back twice for both Melee and Brawl.

Hype.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Gamestop gift certificate?
Can't we just get like paid in Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers from Wendy's or something?

xHayatox

Smash Lord
yea im coming for friday saturday and maybe sunday.. it be nice practice before MM the following week. i now have extra time to play so look out for the "hayato"

Jarrod159

Smash Cadet
THIS WEEKEND IF ANYONE WANTS TO PLAY TO GET PRACTICE BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT I PLAY SMASH AT MY FRIEND WILLS HOUSE. SATURDAY WE WILL BE PLAYING ALMOST ALL DAY. HE LIVES IN WARWICK. SEND ME A MESSAGE AT Jarrod1159@hotmail.com

Is the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament Traditional or Advanced format?

Also, what fighting games are at the fighting games tournament?

Anime room ftw

Jarrod, I'll hit you up for some practice on Saturday, yeah?

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Is the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament Traditional or Advanced format?

Also, what fighting games are at the fighting games tournament?
1. I have no idea.

2. All I know is that Street Fighter 4 will be at the tournament and Virtua Fighter 5 and Soul Salibur 4 will be at the casual thing. Other than that I just know that they're having "various" different fighters.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Bumped with a few schedule updates.

Also, there probably won't be any prizes for the Melee tourney. Sorry.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I'll show up whether there's a prize or not, but it wouldn't be too difficult to have like a $5 entry fee as long as you keep it discreet and distribute the winnings AFTER the tournament somewhere outside the Union.

Just a thought.

shanus

Smash Hero
doubt I can make it. Anyone want to play some epic brawl+ this afternoon out in providence though?

ZoSo

Smash Champion
What exactly is the risk? I remember there was a big to-do when Sabrina tried to host a tourney awhile ago and afterwards we eventually determined that the tournament didn't qualify as gambling in a legal sense and thus wasn't illegal in any way.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
What exactly is the risk? I remember there was a big to-do when Sabrina tried to host a tourney awhile ago and afterwards we eventually determined that the tournament didn't qualify as gambling in a legal sense and thus wasn't illegal in any way.
That situation is basically what I heard about but I was told that we still can't do it. I don't know if there was a technical ruling on whether or not it was allowed but the union will supposedly still get pissed, or something.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Not everyone wants to give you their money, Dave.

I love you. EXCESSIVE HOMO.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I wouldn't be giving Dave my money =).

Also, Dave is going to win this now that I can't go.

Parents having birthdays tomorrow sucks.

Edit: Dave was going to have to hope his roy is up to snuff but now his Roy can just COAST.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
What happens after the Melee tourney is over? Can we get a setup to play friendlies on?

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Assuming that there is time after, you'l have the room for friendlies until 4:00. I don't think it should take that long as long as we have a decent number of TVs, considering that this isn't going to be huge. (I'm actually predicting the Brawl tournament to be bigger based on interest of people who have stopped by the advertising booth.)

If people still want to play after that, I could see if there are any empty rooms to move the setups into. No guarantees on anything, but I'll at least ask. Other than that, you have a bunch of other games that you could go to.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Posting from the Melee room.

Turnout: 12 people, 4 TVs, 3 copies of Melee >_>

We severely overestimated the number of Melee discs we had. Luckily there weren't a lot of people of this would have taken forever.

Tomorrow we should have approximately 6 TVs. If anyone could bring more Wiis it would help out a lot.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Melee:

1: Dave
2: Commando
3: Joey
4: Eric
5: Megan
5: Victor
7: Pichu
7: Abel
9: Alex
9: Xaoz
9: Fulg
9: R66-Y

Brawl:

1: Xfro
2: Oke
3: Abel
4: Suko
5: K2
5: Kodel
7: Lee
7: Commando
9: Fenn
9: X
9: hotdogturtle
9: F
13: Tammy
13: Xaoz
13: Prez
13: Joon
17: R66-Y
17: Megan
17: Pichu
17: Fish
17: Sam
17: Ariel

To all the people who didn't win, I hope you guys had a good time.

To you two people who did win, who strangely enough both acted in the same manner after the tournaments ended, you should have come to more of the game events so you could at least get your money's worth of entertainment. Maybe then some of the people there wouldn't have started hating you so much.

Additional edit: To Xfro, after reading and responding to your blog on AIB, just know that I personally don't have anything against you. I understand your frustration with not getting anything after winning the tournament. Just some of the other people there (mainly Fish, the guy in charge) kind of felt that you were acting like a **** near the end of it. You seem like a good guy overall and hopefully we can get this prize situation sorted out by next year so we can start giving non-cash prizes.

Top Bottom