• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 5/22!] Project M + BrawlEX: A starter's guide

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Wait, where did you get a sc_selcharacter_en.pac from?
As for the name there, my first guess is that file is missing its corresponding .pat0 entry in MenSelchrFaceI_TopN__0. I've only seen that issue when the .pat0 entry is missing, or the file itself is missing. Let me know if the problem persists!
Thanks a ton, that did it. Oh yeah, and I had a sc_selcharacter_en.pac because when you edit sc_selcharacter.pac in Brawlbox and use "Save As...", it'll by default add "_en" to the file name. Guess I just neglected to actually change the name before I added it to my build. :p

Edit: Oh yeah, and you wouldn't by chance have any idea how to have two characters use the same soundbank would you? I know Marth and Roy do this in PM, would it be possible to add voice clips for Lucina and have her share that soundbank as well?

Last edited:

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 101465
I open HxD and I get this I still dont understand what im supposed to do
You have to make the modifications mentioned in the OP. When you edit files in HxD (or when you hex edit anything for that matter) locations within the file are referred to as offsets. These offsets are written out as "0x__". The "0x" part just denotes that what you're reading is an offset (we'll call that Part 1), and everything that comes after (the "__" part) shows you where you'll be looking in the file (we'll call that Part 2). To actually find that offset in your file, look at the example here. Once you've found your offset, make any changes you need to then save and exit. Hopefully that helps a bit.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Oh yeah, and you wouldn't by chance have any idea how to have two characters use the same soundbank would you? I know Marth and Roy do this in PM, would it be possible to add voice clips for Lucina and have her share that soundbank as well?
Yep, you would just add Lucina's SFX to someone else's soundbank via SuperSawndz.

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
Is there a way to clone Captain Falcon So I can use him as a base for my Character?
The Captain Falcon files aren't out yet so you'll have to wait.
The creator is recoding some of his things due to his Final smash being hard coded.

Defeatthefall

Smash Rookie
The Captain Falcon files aren't out yet so you'll have to wait.
The creator is recoding some of his things due to his Final smash being hard coded.
Thank you! and I wish we could handle it without the final smash since the tournament scene doesn't use them, but I understand that the game probably needs it so it doesn't have a melt down xD <3

Sanguinaire

Smash Rookie
I'm not new to Brawl hacking but I'm still very novice at BrawlEX, would you mind PM'ing me your build so I have a good start to work from? I'm still struggling with the original PM+EX and getting the decloned Dr. Mario (which from my understanding is supposed to be plug-n-play) in there without overwriting Waluigi.

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
I'm not new to Brawl hacking but I'm still very novice at BrawlEX, would you mind PM'ing me your build so I have a good start to work from? I'm still struggling with the original PM+EX and getting the decloned Dr. Mario (which from my understanding is supposed to be plug-n-play) in there without overwriting Waluigi.
You have to edit the pat0 entries FaceI and Name (Don't worry about Face A-H you don't need them... In fact you can delete them)

Marbrinus

Smash Rookie
I followed this guide to try adding lucina as a marth clone. Everything worked just fine, but there were two issues I found while testing it out, one of which is unrelated to the clone character as far as I know. First, lucina has the normal five ledge regrabs for invulnerability and on the 6th grab she is not invulnerable. The problem is that even after getting back on stage, the next time I grab ledge I still have no invulnerability (it stays this way for the rest of the match even after dying.) I tested it on non-clone characters and they work fine. The other issue is more of a minor annoyance, and is simply that when scrolling through menu options (such as name tags on the css) it feels like brawls scroll speed. It doesn't matter that much but I thought I'd point it out anyway.

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
I followed this guide to try adding lucina as a marth clone. Everything worked just fine, but there were two issues I found while testing it out, one of which is unrelated to the clone character as far as I know. First, lucina has the normal five ledge regrabs for invulnerability and on the 6th grab she is not invulnerable. The problem is that even after getting back on stage, the next time I grab ledge I still have no invulnerability (it stays this way for the rest of the match even after dying.) I tested it on non-clone characters and they work fine. The other issue is more of a minor annoyance, and is simply that when scrolling through menu options (such as name tags on the css) it feels like brawls scroll speed. It doesn't matter that much but I thought I'd point it out anyway.
Never heard of these problems before Strange...

Sanguinaire

Smash Rookie
So I've gotten Ridley, Dr. Mario, Waluigi and Dark Samus all added to P:M successfully (thank you Devnew!) however I've noticed an odd problem with Dark Samus, who I got from the Brawl Vault (she's a Marth clone made for use with BEX.)
At the start of the match, which I've tested with Dark Samus vs Samus and DS vs Mario, both characters do their intro exactly like you'd expect, everything seems normal up until the game crashes right at the end of the countdown. I have no idea what could be causing this, as Dark Samus loads normally and does her intro just fine, she has all the files she needs and her cosmetics display perfectly, but the game crashes before I can even control her, right before the announcer says GO!.

EDIT: Just tried completely removing and readding Dark Samus going through the process again with HxD and all, still have the same crash right before gameplay begins. Doesn't happen with Ridley, Waluigi or Doc.

Last edited:

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
So I've gotten Ridley, Dr. Mario, Waluigi and Dark Samus all added to P:M successfully (thank you Devnew!) however I've noticed an odd problem with Dark Samus, who I got from the Brawl Vault (she's a Marth clone made for use with BEX.)
At the start of the match, which I've tested with Dark Samus vs Samus and DS vs Mario, both characters do their intro exactly like you'd expect, everything seems normal up until the game crashes right at the end of the countdown. I have no idea what could be causing this, as Dark Samus loads normally and does her intro just fine, she has all the files she needs and her cosmetics display perfectly, but the game crashes before I can even control her, right before the announcer says GO!.

EDIT: Just tried completely removing and readding Dark Samus going through the process again with HxD and all, still have the same crash right before gameplay begins. Doesn't happen with Ridley, Waluigi or Doc.
Sounds like you either forgot the Battle portraits or your Module (.rel) hasn't been edited properly. and or named
wrong

Edit:Make sure your clones have ALL their files lets say a psa didnt come with a final smash just download the original characters finalsmash and rename it to the clones Same with Dark, Fake, Entry, Etc. (Not all characters will have these other files though [Fake is used for SSE story like peach and zelda])
Also clones DONT work in any single player Mode

Last edited:

Sanguinaire

Smash Rookie
Nope, BPs show up during the countdown normally, and I just checked my ft_darksamus.rel and the ID is 7B like it's supposed to be (that's the ID I used for her). DS has costumes 00-05 and is configured to use them, as well as MotionEtc, Entry, Dark, Fake, Final, Spy and her PSA.

I tried it on another stage and used another costume, against Mario again, and got the same results. I did forget to edit her rel earlier (so she still had Marth's ID in there) before this issue popped up so the game crashed completely without even loading the match, but after fixing the rel I got the match to load but crashes during countdown.

Last edited:

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
Nope, BPs show up during the countdown normally, and I just checked my ft_darksamus.rel and the ID is 7B like it's supposed to be (that's the ID I used for her). DS has costumes 00-05 and is configured to use them, as well as MotionEtc, Entry, Dark, Fake, Final, Spy and her PSA.

I tried it on another stage and used another costume, against Mario again, and got the same results. I did forget to edit her rel earlier (so she still had Marth's ID in there) before this issue popped up so the game crashed completely without even loading the match, but after fixing the rel I got the match to load but crashes during countdown.
Could be the other character then, Whoever you fought might be the reason. sound strange Hasn't happend to me. Just so you know and everyone else reading this Any ID in the 80's Crash / do not work.

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
Is there a way for me to add Pokemon Trainer back into the game, but be able to switch between the pokemon using their new movesets?(other than down-b for obvious reasons)

Last edited:

The Peacekeeper

Smash Cadet
I'm having issues with Lone Wolf's Metal Sonic. I'm not sure why though. I followed the instructions like I did with "Stage Clear" and Lucina and still got the Highlight icon crash.

I put Metal's Id at 119 with a 77 hex and the icon would show up but when I highlighted, it didn't work. So I tryed the pre-made EX modules that L.W. had in his MetalSonicPM[BrawlEX] folder with some minor adjustments to make it work and still had the same problem.

Is it because I'm using an ID that isn't compatible or is the Wolf EX modules not compatible with PM+BrawlEX 0.3 since I'm still using that version.

Rialc

Smash Rookie
I'm having issues with Lone Wolf's Metal Sonic. I'm not sure why though. I followed the instructions like I did with "Stage Clear" and Lucina and still got the Highlight icon crash.

I put Metal's Id at 119 with a 77 hex and the icon would show up but when I highlighted, it didn't work. So I tryed the pre-made EX modules that L.W. had in his MetalSonicPM[BrawlEX] folder with some minor adjustments to make it work and still had the same problem.

Is it because I'm using an ID that isn't compatible or is the Wolf EX modules not compatible with PM+BrawlEX 0.3 since I'm still using that version.
Are you using the premade module? I got the same crash with PM+BEX .4 before, replacing the provided module with one you make in step 2 of this tutorial fixed everything.

Sanguinaire

Smash Rookie
That's the exact problem I was having with my Dark Samus. I had forgotten to use the PM/BEX Marth module, instead using the one that came in the DS download. Fixed her right up and now she works just perfectly.

PizzaProp

Smash Rookie
Hey, so I followed the steps and managed to use Marth's files to add Lucina to the game. Other than missing the announcer call in character select, it works. But for some reason, she doesn't have any sound in-game. I believe I followed the steps correctly, and I had to locate her sound ID in 0x1C in the fighter.dat file.

I typed in 141 for Master Hand's sound bank, and I put a Lucina .sawnd file in the sfx folder as 141.sawnd (I just took a lucina over marth sawnd file from the brawlvault and renamed it), yet she doesn't use the sound effects. Is the problem that I coded it incorrectly or that the sawnd file isn't custom fit to Master Hand?

Portalfan12345

Smash Rookie
Hey, so I followed the steps and managed to use Marth's files to add Lucina to the game. Other than missing the announcer call in character select, it works. But for some reason, she doesn't have any sound in-game. I believe I followed the steps correctly, and I had to locate her sound ID in 0x1C in the fighter.dat file.

I typed in 141 for Master Hand's sound bank, and I put a Lucina .sawnd file in the sfx folder as 141.sawnd (I just took a lucina over marth sawnd file from the brawlvault and renamed it), yet she doesn't use the sound effects. Is the problem that I coded it incorrectly or that the sawnd file isn't custom fit to Master Hand?

For the Fighter.pac you put in the code correctly. However the actual .sawnd file should be named 328.sawnd.

PizzaProp

Smash Rookie
Why dont you just use the brawlex tool that can already do this without HxD?
I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. I just followed the tutorial and used HxD for the areas needed. The BrawlEX Config application doesn't support .sawnd files, apparently.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. I just followed the tutorial and used HxD for the areas needed. The BrawlEX Config application doesn't support .sawnd files, apparently.
well, it does, but you can't take a Lucina over Marth .sawnd and rename it to whatever you want. you'd need to make a new boss soundbank using supersawndz. OR, you should use this hack: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=211288

jamershinobioneobi02

Smash Cadet
I got a question, Is it possible to just use a CSS from brawl with brawl ex cosmetics right off the bat and edit it later, instead of making my own? I'm pretty lazy and I don't want to go through all the work.

vathekid

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the question, but I don't see the files for which version of pm boot up
Is it gecko or stage builder?

SuperColom64

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure I followed all the steps correctly, but I'm getting a bug where sometimes, every character in-game shows up as the Dark/Shadow version, this only happens like one every 4 games though...

EDIT: Nvm, fixed it!

Last edited:

SuperSmashGod1990

Smash Rookie

And that concludes this tutorial! I hope you were able to get your new fighters working and enjoy Project M + BrawlEx. If you still have issues, suggestions, or any other input, feel free to reply here or message me directly and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

- This tutorial was written with PM+BX v0.2 in mind; I have not tested this with the newest v0.3. For the v0.3 players, keep this in mind should any discrepancies arise.

- This tutorial only accounts for Versus Mode; I suspect that other game modes like Training Mode or Classic will have issues because of missing files. For my next revision I'll be sure to account for the other game modes.

- I didn't cover editing franchise icons in this tutorial, because the fr.icons in the results screen are not editable textures but rather 3-D models (that aren't as easily editable).

- For Hackless users: retrieve the boot.elf file and the st folder from another 3.6 build, and insert them into PM+BX in their respective locations. (boot.elf being the main directory, while the st folder goes private -> wii -> app -> RSBE)

- For those interested in the Metal Sonic I used in the tutorial: Dropbox
  • It's only a simple Metal Sonic model over Sonic, no moveset changes or anything. I added appropriate SFX to his .pac and some electric GFX changes. Enjoy!
Dear people, i attempted to add several characters, i followed all the steps and when i go to load i through homebreaw it wonn't load can someone help.

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
I've been having an issue with my clone. The CSS is fine, but when I enter a match he gets about halfway through his entrance before the game crashes. It loads his stock icon and battle portrait fine. I can't seem to find which file caused this.

Sanguinaire

Smash Rookie
You need to replace the ft_(name).rel with one from the PM+BEX folder edited to have the ID you want him to have, not whatever .rel came with the clone when you downloaded him. That's the problem I had with my Dark Samus.

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
You need to replace the ft_(name).rel with one from the PM+BEX folder edited to have the ID you want him to have, not whatever .rel came with the clone when you downloaded him. That's the problem I had with my Dark Samus.
I have the ID in the rel set up properly.

Last edited:

Sanguinaire

Smash Rookie
That may very well be but you have to use the PM+BEX .rel for whichever character it's based on and set the ID up in that, you cannot use any other .rel. If that's what you mean and it doesn't fix it, then I haven't a clue and apologize for being unable to help.

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
That may very well be but you have to use the PM+BEX .rel for whichever character it's based on and set the ID up in that, you cannot use any other .rel. If that's what you mean and it doesn't fix it, then I haven't a clue and apologize for being unable to help.
It's fine. I think I found out my info.pac is too large. My computer says "557 KB on disk"

Top Bottom