• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 5/22!] Project M + BrawlEX: A starter's guide

SuperSmashGod1990

Smash Rookie
well, it does, but you can't take a Lucina over Marth .sawnd and rename it to whatever you want. you'd need to make a new boss soundbank using supersawndz. OR, you should use this hack: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=211288
If a character has an announcer how do we get the announcer to say it? Also where would fighters sounds normally be placed? I'm asking because I want to extract dark Mk and louies voices from brawl DX and put them in my ex

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
If a character has an announcer how do we get the announcer to say it? Also where would fighters sounds normally be placed? I'm asking because I want to extract dark Mk and louies voices from brawl DX and put them in my ex
A bit rusty, but I'll try:

1) With your announcer audio files (.wav) ready, you would open smashbros_sound.brsar in Super Sawndz -> inject your files into a non-used soundbank (e.g. Coinshooter, SSE enemy, etc.).

2) Extract your newly edited .sawnd and place it into your build's sfx folder. Go into your fighters' BrawlEXConfig files and change the announcer call ID to the sound effects that you had changed in Super Sawndz.

3) Start up your build, it should be good to go. (More info on Super Sawndz and stuff in my SFX tutorial.)

Last edited:

SuperSmashGod1990

Smash Rookie
I have one more question abouth the hex code. I noticed that ridley that came with pyros brawl ex has the hex id of 43, now the metaknight i extracted from dx has the same id. Is their anyway icould change one of theri id withouft changing their brrs id?

SuperSmashGod1990

Smash Rookie
A bit rusty, but I'll try:

1) With your announcer audio files (.wav) ready, you would open smashbros_sound.brsar in Super Sawndz -> inject your files into a non-used soundbank (e.g. Coinshooter, SSE enemy, etc.).

2) Extract your newly edited .sawnd and place it into your build's sfx folder. Go into your fighters' BrawlEXConfig files and change the announcer call ID to the sound effects that you had changed in Super Sawndz.

3) Start up your build, it should be good to go. (More info on Super Sawndz and stuff in my SFX tutorial.)
where's smash soundz brars

Dark_Lugia985

Smash Rookie
I know this is a very noob question but I'm having trouble loading Project M EX on my Wii U. Can anyone help me?

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
I've been having an issue where my clone is still using my base character (Link)'s menu files (CSP, Stock icon, ect.)

Is there something I missed here? Because I can't seem to find where I went wrong.

EDIT: I realized I incorrectly entered my fighter's ID in the cosmetic file. Although for some odd reason they only load their default stock icon for all colors.

Last edited:

PatziPatzPatz

Smash Cadet
Can somebody tell me how I can make franchise icon for the results screen?
Or maybe someone has already made a Street Fighter franchise icon model?

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
Can somebody tell me how I can make franchise icon for the results screen?
Or maybe someone has already made a Street Fighter franchise icon model?
I found this if it's of any help.

Find and open up "STGRESULT.pac" press the + at the arc labeled "2" and scroll down to "MiscData[110]" import your mark in there, your mark MUST BE IN "CI4" or C14 I dunno they look the same. The mark must be white and have transparent background to work.

Last edited:

PatziPatzPatz

Smash Cadet
I found this if it's of any help.
I think that is for.. earlier versions maybe? In Project M the franchise icons on the results screen are not just simple textures, they are 3D models. The franchise icons on the character selection screen (in sc_selcharacter.pac) and ingame (in info.pac) are textures they will work if you insert these in the correct spot..
In my current build I just copied the InfResultMark20_TopN in MiscData[110] -> 3DModels and AnmClr and renamed them InfResultMark22_TopN.. Which makes the Street Fighter characters have the Smash Bros logo on the results screen (and the correct one ingame).

And for your stocks..
In info.pac -> MiscData[30] -> AnmTexPat(NW4R) -> InfStockface_TopN__0 -> lambert87 -> Texture0
Have you added an InfStc.XXY for every stock icon? Is the frame count in InfStockface_TopN__0 correct?

Last edited:

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
I think that is for.. earlier versions maybe? In Project M the franchise icons on the results screen are not just simple textures, they are 3D models. The franchise icons on the character selection screen (in sc_selcharacter.pac) and ingame (in info.pac) are textures they will work if you insert these in the correct spot..
In my current build I just copied the InfResultMark20_TopN in MiscData[110] -> 3DModels and AnmClr and renamed them InfResultMark22_TopN.. Which makes the Street Fighter characters have the Smash Bros logo on the results screen (and the correct one ingame).

And for your stocks..
In info.pac -> MiscData[30] -> AnmTexPat(NW4R) -> InfStockface_TopN__0 -> lambert87 -> Texture0
Have you added an InfStc.XXY for every stock icon? Is the frame count in InfStockface_TopN__0 correct?
Yeah I see what you mean. I just tried to check it out for myself. I also wanted to have custom franchise icons but for now I guess I just have to use the smash bros symbol.

Also I was building off of someone else's build and I found out they had oddly assigned the stock icons for a character to use the same file yet still have different file indexes.

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
Theres a few things i'm having trouble with/ want to know how to do
1. I cant seem the get the CSP Name to appear
2. how do you add custom franchise logos and put that onto an ex character
3. how do you add custom fanfare for an ex character

PatziPatzPatz

Smash Cadet
Theres a few things i'm having trouble with/ want to know how to do
1. I cant seem the get the CSP Name to appear
2. how do you add custom franchise logos and put that onto an ex character
3. how do you add custom fanfare for an ex character
1. You either inserted the MenSelchrNm.<X>1 (or the MenSelchrNmS.X) incorrectly or didn't change the AnmTexPat(NW4R) entry correctly.

2. Ingame & on the CSP: In the info.pac & the sc_selcharacter.pac there are entry for the franchise icons (mark) somewhere, add it there and change the AnmTexPat(NW4R) -> MenSelchrMark (or how it is called ^^).
For the results screen you would need to make a 3D model, but you can just copy and rename the mark 20 (the smash bros icon) so that they have that on the results screen.. And finally in CosmeticX.dat change the byte 14..

3. I Don't know it either..

Edit: Didn't mean to make the text be crossed out, just wanted to write S in parentheses xD

Last edited:

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
how do you add custom fanfare for an ex character
At 0x20 in SlotConfig you can change it to a sound effect based on this list. Like just for example I set mine for my clone to be 27A9, an unused Microgame song.

Right now though I'm having an issue where 1 out of the 6 stock icons I added to my clone loads as a question mark. The others load properly but I have the files set in the right place and I've checked to make sure I haven't spelled anything wrong.

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
I did add new pat mappings, but it only seems to be a question mark with that one specific costume. The others are unaffected by it. Also I tried deleting the entry and re-adding it to see if that would fix it, but it didn't.

Here are some screenshots of my info.pac from brawlbox. Maybe you can spot some errors I skimmed over.

Protocol.Tin

Smash Cadet
Game crashes upon loading the CSS.
Your sc_selcharacter.pac has become too fat! Figure a way to lower the file size under 3.79 MB.
I've noticed with builds like ALM5252 he has a gratuitous amount of CSP and the other necessary files to make over 60 characters yet mine seems to fill up almost after adding 5. Are there suggestions on how to compress this? I'm using some "newer" CSPs for some characters and not sure if that might count for additional space.

Game crashes upon Result Screen, or other various graphical errors
Either improper adding of stocks, or BrawlBox has corrupted your .pat0 entries.
Happening to me already when playing with some newly added characters. Any tips aside from keeping extra stuff on handling the situation or do I need to recreate an entire sel_character.pac all over again?

Last edited:

PatziPatzPatz

Smash Cadet
I've noticed with builds like ALM5252 he has a gratuitous amount of CSP and the other necessary files to make over 60 characters yet mine seems to fill up almost after adding 5. Are there suggestions on how to compress this? I'm using some "newer" CSPs for some characters and not sure if that might count for additional space.
Change the size of some of the portraits (I use to 96x128 for all lesser used characters) and set the format to CMPR for all portraits.

Happening to me already when playing with some newly added characters. Any tips aside from keeping extra stuff on handling the situation or do I need to recreate an entire sel_character.pac all over again?
When the game crashes on the results screen for me it was either
- Not or improperly adding the results screen portraits in menu/common/char_bust_tex/MenSelchrFaceB<X>.brres
- Not adding a 3D model for the franchise icon in STGRESULT.pac when using a new franchise icon
- Maybe corruption of .pat0 entries? I don't know which .pat0 entries would be causing that though..
Missing stocks in STGRESULT.pac don't cause crashing I think..

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
You can also reduce file size by chopping off the bottom half of CSPs. I notice ALM's build does this and it's not noticeable.

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
There is one strange error I encountered after putting four characters into PM. The character select screen expanded so that all of the icons were in rows and were small. I have about 52 characters, but it did not look like a normal PM-ish CSS screen. When I also tried to change colors, the game froze on me. This was after I removed the MenSelchrFaceA_TopN_0.pat through MenSelchrFaceH_TopN_0.pat on the CSS file. Is there a specific cause for this dilemma?

Protocol.Tin

Smash Cadet
You can also reduce file size by chopping off the bottom half of CSPs. I notice ALM's build does this and it's not noticeable.
That actually sounds like a great idea! Question is, how much do I cut off, guessing I don't try to crop it. Also, seem to use Paint for my picture editing stuff, and once I save it, it does the white background instead of the transparent one. I want to adjust some of the more "Community Completed" CSPs to use.

Alm5252

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ALM5252
That actually sounds like a great idea! Question is, how much do I cut off, guessing I don't try to crop it. Also, seem to use Paint for my picture editing stuff, and once I save it, it does the white background instead of the transparent one. I want to adjust some of the more "Community Completed" CSPs to use.
I try to cut about 1/4 from the bottom. Its kinda just trial and error, save a copy of the sc_character.pac and then start editing it, if you cut too much, go to the copy and try again.

Also, I'd suggest downloading Gimp. then save as a PNG so that it can be transparent.

Last edited:

Szion

Smash Journeyman
is it possible to replace another character sfx with one chars sfx? i tried replacing yoshi with jp ike so i can use the spare jp ike sfx for chrom, and labeling chrom to 08 which is yoshi's ID..but he froze the game so uhhh...any help?

Last edited:

Slasher115

Smash Rookie
Its been a while since ive been on the site, might try to do this when i get time

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
is it possible to replace another character sfx with one chars sfx? i tried replacing yoshi with jp ike so i can use the spare jp ike sfx for chrom, and labeling chrom to 08 which is yoshi's ID..but he froze the game so uhhh...any help?
If you haven't, check my SFX guide and see if it helps! I think section 2 is what you're looking for.

Its been a while since ive been on the site, might try to do this when i get time
nice

Hoping to add this by into the build, but realize there's no Falco rel file. Any word on its existence or progression?

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=21589
I assume you've checked v0.5 already, so that would probably be a PyotrLuzhin PyotrLuzhin question.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
After ~two months of inactivity, I'm planning to get back into PM modding. My first plan is to update this guide for v0.5 (as I'm feelin' rusty!) In the meantime I'll see if I can help with these unanswered questions...

Last edited:

Szion

Smash Journeyman
is there a way or me to mute a characters voice? i've seen alm set it to 01 16 at the right side of the 2nd row in HxD for fighterconfig, but it freezes the Bass PSA im using..

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
is there a way or me to mute a characters voice? i've seen alm set it to 01 16 at the right side of the 2nd row in HxD for fighterconfig, but it freezes the Bass PSA im using..
While not a direct solution, I would just change the character's FighterConfig to use any other soundbank.

Szion

Smash Journeyman
I'll try it out, thanks! :) that'll help separate hector from ike even more

spicywingz

Smash Rookie
question: is it possible to replace the turbo item with the spicy curry in brawlex or would it cause conflictions with clones?

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
question: is it possible to replace the turbo item with the spicy curry in brawlex or would it cause conflictions with clones?
Turbo is in the normal Project M; PM+BeX has nothing to do with it. That being said, I have no idea how to bring it back.

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Finally took the time to trudge this headache. Lovely guide, but I must mention that things got really confusing really quickly in some spots where there were no screens to clarify what you were talking about. Observe.

his file is why the CSS is arranged as is. While this can be edited in HxD, I find BrawlExConfig Utility easier to use. As such I'll be using it for this guide. When open in BrawlExConfig, you'll see a list of character IDs. Remember the our new fighter's hex ID of 7A? We will enter that into this .dat.
I found where I wanted to throw my new CSS icon in both programs, but neither would let me simply insert the needed byte without editing literally everything that came after it. I doubt it's supposed to be that tedious, so could you clarify what exactly needs clicked?
Open up the .dat with HxD and navigate to offset 0x1C. The last two/three bytes of that string will be the soundbank ID. Replace that with whoever sound effects you want your new fighter to use.
A big problem for me in going through was having absolutely no idea what you meant when you say offset 0x something. I was following along with my Ike clone with IDs and everything in hand, but could still barely discern what was meant to go where. Too much inference.
This guide by @Moydow covers what you need to insert into offset 0x20 very well:
I flat-out gave up here. My clone only has 9 slots for jay's Sm4sh Ike, and I couldn't for the life of me determine what the sh*t was going on with the hex...I couldn't even find the 00 C0 part that tells it to stop. So I said f*ck it and moved on.

Moreover when it came to changing names and soundbanks and other stuff, there was no need to b/c I'm making an exact clone. But even if I wanted to, I'd still be stuck because I just can't figure out what the hell offsets mean.

Long story short, I failed. I'm no fool, either. My CSS did not show up and in going to where it was supposed to be (occupied by Waluigi) I get a freeze and black screen.

I've read that v0.5 is buggy, and in digging through the CSS file I found of a lot of dirt like extra Dry Bowser stocks. The whole thing just seems an unorganized clusterf*ck with Ridley and Waluigi just haphazardly slapped in. Not your fault, but I don't like wasting time on something that's relatively straightforward because the base work is broken as is. Not cool. At all.

Basically, there's not much you can do about the heap of disorganized garbage that is the v0.5 base build. I would however ask that you include HxD screens for every step of the way. Maybe then I'll be less likely to spend four hours getting a headache.

LiveWire-93

Smash Cadet
Whenever I try to load it up with the PM Launcher, it brings me back to the wii menu. what am I doing wrong?

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Finally took the time to trudge this headache. Lovely guide, but I must mention that things got really confusing really quickly in some spots where there were no screens to clarify what you were talking about. Observe.

I found where I wanted to throw my new CSS icon in both programs, but neither would let me simply insert the needed byte without editing literally everything that came after it. I doubt it's supposed to be that tedious, so could you clarify what exactly needs clicked?

A big problem for me in going through was having absolutely no idea what you meant when you say offset 0x something. I was following along with my Ike clone with IDs and everything in hand, but could still barely discern what was meant to go where. Too much inference.

I flat-out gave up here. My clone only has 9 slots for jay's Sm4sh Ike, and I couldn't for the life of me determine what the sh*t was going on with the hex...I couldn't even find the 00 C0 part that tells it to stop. So I said f*ck it and moved on.

Moreover when it came to changing names and soundbanks and other stuff, there was no need to b/c I'm making an exact clone. But even if I wanted to, I'd still be stuck because I just can't figure out what the hell offsets mean.

Long story short, I failed. I'm no fool, either. My CSS did not show up and in going to where it was supposed to be (occupied by Waluigi) I get a freeze and black screen.

I've read that v0.5 is buggy, and in digging through the CSS file I found of a lot of dirt like extra Dry Bowser stocks. The whole thing just seems an unorganized clusterf*ck with Ridley and Waluigi just haphazardly slapped in. Not your fault, but I don't like wasting time on something that's relatively straightforward because the base work is broken as is. Not cool. At all.

Basically, there's not much you can do about the heap of disorganized garbage that is the v0.5 base build. I would however ask that you include HxD screens for every step of the way. Maybe then I'll be less likely to spend four hours getting a headache.
jeez calm down - i'm sorry that the word "offset" triggered you so much. S Solaros made this lovely guide and you're giving him so much garbage

read this first if you're getting headaches from seeing As and Fs mixed with 1s and 9s. v.0.5 is fine, and most of the bugs that you've probably heard about in passing aren't things that someone unfamiliar with hex would encounter.

it's salty behavior like this that makes me wonder why I make stuff for this community anymore.

Last edited:

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
jeez calm down - i'm sorry that the word "offset" triggered you so much. S Solaros made this lovely guide and you're giving him so much garbage

read this first if you're getting headaches from seeing As and Fs mixed with 1s and 9s. v.0.5 is fine, and most of the bugs that you've probably heard about in passing aren't things that someone unfamiliar with hex would encounter.

it's salty behavior like this that makes me wonder why I make stuff for this community anymore.
Yeah, don't sweat that kinda stuff though, you have people who are grateful for your work and don't act tacky like that. 0.5 is far from garbage. It's sad that a little legwork is intimidating to some folks, but everyone who can read a thing or two and just work at it can get stuff done.

Cynapse

Smash Ace
All a matter of perception, good sir.
It's sad that a little legwork is intimidating to some folks, but everyone who can read a thing or two and just work at it can get stuff done.
I understand the sentiment, but that sure as hell doesn't apply to me, bub.
. . .
So I dumped out my bucket of salt and found that whatever I was doing was wrong. For some reason I did the CSP and CSS bit in the 3.61 sc_selcharacter...I have no idea how. Made the fix and...
00000000-9.png
Works perfectly aside from the extra 10th slot. Want it gone but I'm burnt out on hex for the day.

Edit: Where's Waluigi?
In my defense, I hadn't eaten all day and was dealing with a number of additional stress-inducing occurrences. It's no stretch to say that professionalism wasn't at the top of my list. My apologies.

Long story short? Don't learn while hangry.

Top Bottom