• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 5/22!] Project M + BrawlEX: A starter's guide

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
I think that was me but I'll check

EDIT: I didn't find anything that would help me with running it on homebrew
I feel your pain. Is this what Limbo feels like? This is awful.

(I've asked some people about this but I haven't gotten any word back yet.)

Mechaglacier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
purespade
I feel your pain. Is this what Limbo feels like? This is awful.

(I've asked some people about this but I haven't gotten any word back yet.)
I guess we gotta hope that there's answers for now. BTW are you gonna try to put Bagan's Metal Face in this build when its released too? The PSA looks really well done and so does K Rool.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
I guess we gotta hope that there's answers for now. BTW are you gonna try to put Bagan's Metal Face in this build when its released too? The PSA looks really well done and so does K Rool.
Any well-rounded character with good animations and a creative moveset earns a slot in my CSS!

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
I've got a bit of an issue. Let me preface this by saying that I DID use v.0.3 for this. I may or may not have totally glossed over the part of the tutorial that said specifically not to do that{derp}. Noticed it about half way through, didn't think it'd matter all that much. So I followed the tutorial to the best of my ability, and I'm decently confident that I did things the right way. When I tested my work with Dolphin, I ended up with this. Interestingly enough, Dolphin doesn't outright crash when I go to highlight the clone slot, instead it roughly triples the emulation speed and softlocks itself. Not sure if that qualifies as a freeze or not. I followed the suggested troubleshooting options in the OP, I'm still getting the same result. Any idea of whats going wrong here?

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
I might be interested in making my own personal build with this. Realistically speaking, how much clones could we add that can have separate soundbanks? Are the boss soundbank IDs the only ones we could use?

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
I've got a bit of an issue. Let me preface this by saying that I DID use v.0.3 for this. I may or may not have totally glossed over the part of the tutorial that said specifically not to do that{derp}. Noticed it about half way through, didn't think it'd matter all that much. So I followed the tutorial to the best of my ability, and I'm decently confident that I did things the right way. When I tested my work with Dolphin, I ended up with this. Interestingly enough, Dolphin doesn't outright crash when I go to highlight the clone slot, instead it roughly triples the emulation speed and softlocks itself. Not sure if that qualifies as a freeze or not. I followed the suggested troubleshooting options in the OP, I'm still getting the same result. Any idea of whats going wrong here?
Well, that's a first! This tutorial was designed for v0.2 but that shouldn't happen even on v0.3. Does a normal Project M build work on your Dolphin? At first glance it seems like Project M hasn't been correctly set up on Dolphin in general. (Especially because Brawl's menu is showing up there, lol. Or is it just the CSS showing up as Brawl's?)

I might be interested in making my own personal build with this. Realistically speaking, how much clones could we add that can have separate soundbanks? Are the boss soundbank IDs the only ones we could use?
Besides boss soundbanks, you can also use the soundbanks of CoinLauncher and the Subspace enemies (Deathpod, Spar, etc.). Not a whole lot of room to work with there, so using boss soundbanks is easiest. Here's a list of boss soundbanks:

As for an actual number of clones, I'd say you can get away with about 12 clones with their own edited soundbanks. (May or may not include the mods shown in that table.) Although making a soundbank for a clone isn't the easiest process...

Last edited:

PatziPatzPatz

Smash Cadet
You can also write into the empty spots of a soundbank of another character. I included Blaze's voice into Sonic's soundbank and Daisy's voice into Peach's soundbank. Just make sure the size of the .sawnd stays under 1MB.

I just haven't found out how to change the death cries in the PSA (MissFoot01 & MissFoot02 for hitting the side and bottom death barrier and Hoshikie for the top).. I'm not sure if that's possible with Project Smash Attacks..

Last edited:

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
You can also write into the empty spots of a soundbank of another character. I included Blaze's voice into Sonic's soundbank and Daisy's voice into Peach's soundbank. Just make sure the size of the .sawnd stays under 1MB.
Oh yeah, that's a thing too. Mewtwo and Roy also share soundbanks with Lucario and Marth respectively. I think adding clones and getting sc_selcharacter.pac under 3.79 MB is the bigger challenge than soundbanks.

I just haven't found out how to change the death cries in the PSA (MissFoot01 & MissFoot02 for hitting the side and bottom death barrier and Hoshikie for the top).. I'm not sure if that's possible with Project Smash Attacks..
Nope, not possible in PSA. You can change those in BrawlBox, but I wasn't sure what file exactly. Rage83 Rage83 help please?

Last edited:

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
S Solaros , regular PM builds work correctly, no issues there. Even on this build it seems that Project M is working properly (the main menu looks as it should, it appears to be just the CSS that's messed up). I suspect I must have done something wrong myself when following the tutorial, I'll go back through it again and see if I get different results.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman

Which characters have empty spots in their soundbanks?

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Which characters have empty spots in their soundbanks?
It'd be easier for you to open smashbros_sound.brsar with Super Sawndz and see for yourself. And work from there.

EDIT: Or what Rage said.

Last edited:

The Peacekeeper

Smash Cadet
Well I managed to add the character I wanted successfully but he ended up replacing the random button. The thing is while I did place 7A over 29, I added another 29 next to it to. hell I even added 2 29s but still nothing. so yea...not sure how to get it back.

Also I want to add a Lucina marth clone but i'm probably going to make the id 120 instead. Do I need to change the frame count again? if so, how will still recognize my previous character?

Not only that, something is really wrong with some of the css names not sure how to fix that one. http://imgur.com/a/ZSPJ4

Last edited:

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Well I managed to add the character I wanted successfully but he ended up replacing the random button. The thing is while I did place 7A over 29, I added another 29 next to it to. hell I even added 2 29s but still nothing. so yea...not sure how to get it back.
Try deleting your CSSRoster.dat and place a new one in. Are you editing the file with BrawlExConfig?

Also I want to add a Lucina marth clone but i'm probably going to make the id 120 instead. Do I need to change the frame count again? if so, how will still recognize my previous character?
Hmm, let's say the highest character ID in your build is 120. When adding any clone characters with a smaller ID (like 119), you don't need to change the FrameCount of the .pat0 entries.

Not only that, something is really wrong with some of the css names not sure how to fix that one. http://imgur.com/a/ZSPJ4
BrawlBox has corrupted your Infname.pat0 entry (or something like that, not sure of the exact file name at the moment). Replace it with a copy from another PM+BX build. BrawlBox loves corrupting .pat0 entries, so make back ups!!

Last edited:

The Peacekeeper

Smash Cadet
Well the names are in the correct order now but for whatever reason, the shadow that goes behind the names still messes up. I've done this a few times and it ends up being the same 'behind shadow' bug while having the correct. I'll show with some pics as examples.

http://i.imgur.com/UdfE4gc.jpg http://i.imgur.com/2HlvDti.jpg http://i.imgur.com/pociMkQ.jpg

As you can see the shadows behind the font are wrong with marth and roy (first and second picture), Sonic on the other hand, has no shadow at all behind his font (third picture).

This is bugging me because it makes look like some fool how keeps getting things wrong and keeps asking questions on how things work. I really don't want to have a third problem at this point.

Last edited:

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
QuickLava QuickLava Heyo, how's your build going? Any update?

Well the names are in the correct order now but for whatever reason, the shadow that goes behind the names still messes up. I've done this a few times and it ends up being the same 'behind shadow' bug while having the correct. I'll show with some pics as examples.

http://i.imgur.com/UdfE4gc.jpg http://i.imgur.com/2HlvDti.jpg http://i.imgur.com/pociMkQ.jpg

As you can see the shadows behind the font are wrong with marth and roy (first and second picture), Sonic on the other hand, has no shadow at all behind his font (third picture).
Yep, I've had those issues before. Some parts of your MenSelchrCname4_Top_N__0.pat0 are still corrupted. When replacing .pat0 entries I recommend deleting the corrupted entry, then importing a fresh one to minimize potential issues.

This is bugging me because it makes look like some fool how keeps getting things wrong and keeps asking questions on how things work. I really don't want to have a fourth problem at this point.
No worries at all, that's what I'm here for! Initially I had a hard time getting this to work as well; there was some frustration involved and it wasn't the most fun process, ahah.

Last edited:

The Peacekeeper

Smash Cadet
Finally got it fixed, no more shadow bugs. I just removed MenSelchrFaceA_TopN_0.pat through MenSelchrFaceH_TopN_0.pat just like devnew said. I'll remember to make copies. I really don't want to go through with that again.

Anyway your guide really helped me. It got confusing at first especially when I was coding in the colours and not knowing that first two 00s meant the colour and the other two meant the file that the colour is attached to.

So in conclusion, Thanks for everything mate! The future of PM+Brawl EX is looked bright for us right now. (also can't forget to thank @PyotrLuzhin for the work he put into it)

The Peacekeeper

Smash Cadet
It's me, yet again, with another question. (No, it's not another thing gone wrong)

So I've managed to add a Lucina clone to my EX build (will figure out custom sounds later as I've had poor experiences with them) and got her on the CSS right next to
Dreadlocks but I kinda want to put her in the middle of Ike & Marth and then I'm going to put Waluigi next to Wario when he comes out and so forth.

When editing the CSS is there a way to put characters in different locations without having to rewrite everyone's positions?

Thanks again.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
It's me, yet again, with another question. (No, it's not another thing gone wrong)

So I've managed to add a Lucina clone to my EX build (will figure out custom sounds later as I've had poor experiences with them) and got her on the CSS right next to
Dreadlocks but I kinda want to put her in the middle of Ike & Marth and then I'm going to put Waluigi next to Wario when he comes out and so forth.

When editing the CSS is there a way to put characters in different locations without having to rewrite everyone's positions?

Thanks again.
Hi again! When arranging the CSS I recommend referencing the CSS ID list that I posted, and using a plain old text editor to make a mock-up of your new CSS using said ID's. Here's examples of a 50 slot, 50 slot, and 48 slot arrangement in Notepad:

If you just need to "move" characters down the CSS, you would just do the same with their IDs in either HxD or BrawlExConfig.

EDIT: Wait, in sc_selcharacter.pac you deleted MenSelchrFaceA-H, and the build still works fine?

Last edited:

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
See the other Face.pat entries, like MenSelchrFaceA going all the way to MenSelchrFaceI? Yes, we must do the same process again for the remaining 8 entries. Thankfully, there's an easier way to go about this. Export the newly edited MenSelchrFaceA_TopN__0.pat file to the desktop (or wherever's most convenient). Now right click (or CTRL+R) the other 8 .pat entries and simply replace them with our newly edited FaceA.pat.
This can be a lot simpler, actually - I'm pretty sure only MenSelchrFaceI needs to be changed. The others can actually be deleted (from 3DModels, AnmChr, AnmClr, and AnmTexPat) to save on space.

The different faces are for the sizes the CSS icons can be, shrinking as you unlock more characters. If you have 42+ characters, you're always going to be using MenSelchrFaceI.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
This can be a lot simpler, actually - I'm pretty sure only MenSelchrFaceI needs to be changed. The others can actually be deleted (from 3DModels, AnmChr, AnmClr, and AnmTexPat) to save on space.

The different faces are for the sizes the CSS icons can be, shrinking as you unlock more characters. If you have 42+ characters, you're always going to be using MenSelchrFaceI.
Alrighty! I trust the word of you people, so real soon I'll edit the tutorial about the MenSelchrFace entries. :)

By the way, would you happen to know how to deal with having 50+ character slots without the CSS getting all screwy?

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
S Solaros
Unrelated, but sort of related, do you actually have a functioning Metal Sonic PSA? If so, I would love to add him to my build.

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
So, I'm having trouble adding costumes to a certain Sonic Character. It loads the default costume for his blue, Crocodile, Chameleon, and Bee costumes. Any advice/help? I modified the CSSSlot Config file as well...

Last edited:

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
So, I'm having trouble adding costumes to a certain Sonic Character. It loads the default costume for his blue, Crocodile, Chameleon, and Bee costumes. Any advice/help? I modified the CSSSlot Config file as well...
Yea, His Costumes are mixed.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Okay, OP has been updated! Now MenSelchrFaceI is the only Face entry needing to be edited.

S Solaros
Unrelated, but sort of related, do you actually have a functioning Metal Sonic PSA? If so, I would love to add him to my build.
There is one on the Vault. Over Sonic.
I wasn't too sure about that PSA...but no. In my tutorial it's just a simple Metal Sonic model over Sonic, no moveset changes. I added appropriate SFX and some GFX for moves though. I'll put up a link in the Notes section soon!

EDIT: Direct link for convenience.

Last edited:

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
Never a dull moment in modding brawl... I'll try to mess with it...
You'll need to edit the CSS slot config it's there in the tutorial.
just read the tutorial
like it's right there with a link to the coding and everything
just look.

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
You'll need to edit the CSS slot config it's there in the tutorial.
just read the tutorial
like it's right there with a link to the coding and everything
just look.
I've already modified it. Read my OP.

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
You might have outdated files or your costumes are named wrong then (numbered wrong) mine works fine so yeah.
Can you throw up a DL link then? Been messing with it for a while, I'm pretty sure all my files are up to date...

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Can you throw up a DL link then? Been messing with it for a while, I'm pretty sure all my files are up to date...
Not too sure what's going on here. So you're adding STAGE CLEAR and his 5 other costumes included in a particular build? Or is this a separate custom costume?

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
Not too sure what's going on here. So you're adding STAGE CLEAR and his 5 other costumes included in a particular build? Or is this a separate custom costume?
Precisely. I'm adding dreads and all of his costumes included in a certain build. Problem is, it loads his default costume for any added slots and for his blue costume. I'm thinking it's got something to do with the fact that Sonic's default costume is blue...

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Precisely. I'm adding dreads and all of his costumes included in a certain build. Problem is, it loads his default costume for any added slots and for his blue costume. I'm thinking it's got something to do with the fact that Sonic's default costume is blue...
That's strange, I was able to add him fine. Assuming you have the correct files in the right spot, the issue should be his CSSSlot.dat config. What troubleshooting have you done?

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
That's strange, I was able to add him fine. Assuming you have the correct files in the right spot, the issue should be his CSSSlot.dat config. What troubleshooting have you done?
I changed slots for each costume, redid the whole cssslot file and put in a fresh gct.

Portalfan12345

Smash Rookie
I was browsing through the BrawlEx rels and noticed there isn't one for captain falcon. Does anyone know if one exists or is being worked on at the moment? Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom