• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 5/22!] Project M + BrawlEX: A starter's guide

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
I was browsing through the BrawlEx rels and noticed there isn't one for captain falcon. Does anyone know if one exists or is being worked on at the moment? Thanks in advance.
Our lord and savor
PyotrLuzhin
is working on new ones. Im sure he as it either done or close to being done

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
Actually, A CF Rel never actually existed for BeX to begin with, There is a Beta one however but the Blue Falcon Final Smash Crashes the game.

NovaProject

Smash Rookie
Hi, when I expand Card010 and Card011 and edit the files in there, I cannot seem to find file index on the right side, and all I see is Frame index.

Grecianfox

Smash Cadet
Everything works until I launch The Game. Dolphin says invalid read a bunch of times. After I close out of Those It works Fine. Why is it saying invalid read?

jamershinobioneobi02

Smash Cadet
Everything works until I launch The Game. Dolphin says invalid read a bunch of times. After I close out of Those It works Fine. Why is it saying invalid read?
I'm having the same problem as well. For me if I were to change a moveset or edit the CSSRoster.dat Dolphin won't read it, instead it would say "File Read Open Failed" does anybody know what's going on?

Also If something like this happens on Dolphin, would it happen on an actual Wii?

Last edited:

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
I'm having the same problem as well. For me if I were to change a moveset or edit the CSSRoster.dat Dolphin won't read it, instead it would say "File Read Open Failed" does anybody know what's going on?

Also If something like this happens on Dolphin, would it happen on an actual Wii?
Hi, what version of PM+BX are you guys using? That might be an issue with the latest v0.4.

Grecianfox

Smash Cadet
I switched over to v4 the unable to read window still pops out but The cssname nor the character face will appear

Mechaglacier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
purespade
It's been a while since I've been in this thread. I was just wondering if this tutorial would work for per say...Brawl Minus

Last edited:

Portalfan12345

Smash Rookie
Hey, I was wondering what BPs you are using for the Pichu PSA? For some reason I can't seem to find any good ones.

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
1) Expand MenSelchrFaceI_TopN__0.pat, then go to Face02 -> Texture0.
2) Add a new face entry for your fighter (so MenSelchrChrFace.122), and change the entry's FileIndex to 1221.
3) Under Face06, add a new NmS entry for your fighter (so MenSelchrChrNmS.121) and change its FileIndex to 1221.
4) Collapse
MenSelchrFaceI_TopN__0.pat, and change its FrameCount to 1231.
This is a typo, and it was driving me insane!!!!

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I've been away! Let's see...

Does anyone have a spare of the v0.3. I, um, deleted it due to space only to realise that v0.4 it still has problems.
As far as I know, only v0.4 is still up for downloads. I can upload v0.2 and v0.3 and link them in the main post.

It's been a while since I've been in this thread. I was just wondering if this tutorial would work for per say...Brawl Minus
I've never worked with Brawl- so I can't help you there, sorry. If some aspects of this tutorial are similar with Brawl-, try experimenting a bit!

Hey, I was wondering what BPs you are using for the Pichu PSA? For some reason I can't seem to find any good ones.
I just used the CSPs/BPs from Melee.

This is a typo, and it was driving me insane!!!!
Oh shoot, thanks for the heads-up! I'll fix this in my next revision.

Last edited:

Guzmán Toribio Palomo

Smash Rookie
greetings , I am a Spanish player, I would like to know how I can include 10 costumes for lucario to put costumes megaevolucion this pattern :
07: Mega Lucario
08: Mega Lucario (Red )
09: Mega Lucario (Green )
10: Mega Lucario ( Purple)

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
greetings , I am a Spanish player, I would like to know how I can include 10 costumes for lucario to put costumes megaevolucion this pattern :
00 - Red (usually FitFighter01, unless the default costume is red)
01 - Blue (usually FitFighter03, unless the default costume is blue)
02 - Yellow
03 - Green (usually FitFighter02, unless the default costume is green)
04 - Purple
05 - Light blue (also Captain Falcon's default costume's blue-that-isn't-blue-enough-for-the-blue-team)
06 - Pink
07 - Brown
08 - Black
09 - White
0A - Orange
0B - Grey (only Fire Luigi and default Wolf have this)
0C00 - denotes that no more costume-colour definitions for this character follow after this point

So if I wanted I could do...
this says costume 00 is color blue (01) so whenever you turn on team colors 00 will always be blue/
if you want another blue team color to load such as mario has both blue and doctor mario blue you would need coding done to the rsbe.
you'll need to open the CSSSlotConfig to edit team colors and costumes loaded
ALSO 10 is 0A in hex so instead of saying color 10 you'll say 0A
Edit the offsets 20x0 to 30x0
make sure you have 0C00 at the end or your game will crash

Guzmán Toribio Palomo

Smash Rookie
ACidental repost oops
00 - Red (usually FitFighter01, unless the default costume is red)
01 - Blue (usually FitFighter03, unless the default costume is blue)
02 - Yellow
03 - Green (usually FitFighter02, unless the default costume is green)
04 - Purple
05 - Light blue (also Captain Falcon's default costume's blue-that-isn't-blue-enough-for-the-blue-team)
06 - Pink
07 - Brown
08 - Black
09 - White
0A - Orange
0B - Grey (only Fire Luigi and default Wolf have this)
0C00 - denotes that no more costume-colour definitions for this character follow after this point

So if I wanted I could do...
this says costume 00 is color blue (01) so whenever you turn on team colors 00 will always be blue/
if you want another blue team color to load such as mario has both blue and doctor mario blue you would need coding done to the rsbe.
you'll need to open the CSSSlotConfig to edit team colors and costumes loaded
ALSO 10 is 0A in hex so instead of saying color 10 you'll say 0A
Edit the offsets 20x0 to 30x0
make sure you have 0C00 at the end or your game will crash
I created the following code to the file CSSSlotConfig :
0100 0001 0404 0905 0302 0206 0107 0008 0309 040A 0C00
Would you need to edit the file gtc ?
my idea is that colors are megalucario equipment like mario doctor, fox , link ...

Lucario+MegaEvolution (Smash3 Version) https://imgur.com/hD4KXmt

Last edited:

Lone Devil

Smash Cadet
Anyone know a way to enable Final Smashes on clones? (BrawlEx itself), it just does neutral B after smashball.
Can't be just Wolf.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
In CSSSlot20.dat (Lucario's CSS Slot config), proceed to offset 0x20. Lucario's costumes are set up differently, but try pasting this right before the 0C 00 string:

Code:
01 06 00 07 03 08 04 09
I'm also unsure how to make the game load additional team costumes, but that should work.

Last edited:

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
In other news: I've been staying away from SmashBoards (and PM modding in general) for the time being, and will continue to do so for the next week or two while I sort out my dreaded responsibilities. I'm working on another revision for this guide which will edit a few things and be easier to navigate. Be back soon!

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
Already installed, it also has nothing to with IDs or the PSA itself as it will load over the respective char.
Did you try changing his Final Smash thing to "Single" in his FighterConfig using BrawlEx Config Utility?

Right above the colors, set Final to Single. Works like a charm for me.

Last edited:

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Yo, S Solaros . Remember that issue I was having with the CSS before? Well, after three or so weeks of putting it off, I finally went back and looked at things. Turns out I had left the "_en" on my sc_selcharacter.pac. Admittedly not my brightest moment. Things appear to be working just fine now, though I've got one small error going on here. The name for my clone isn't showing up at all on the CSS, instead it's just giving me a grey box (as seen here). I can also verify that I do have the proper texture in my sc_selcharacter.pac (as seen here). Any idea of what's going on there?

Last edited:

LordMobzilla

Smash Rookie
NNID
KidZapdos
3DS FC
3411-1542-5374
May I use someone elses build that works? Ive been trying to get this to work but it wont.

Grecianfox

Smash Cadet
Can you make a video tutorial. I was in the middle of adding Deadpool, and got to the config templates section. Then had no clue how to use HxD.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Just going to pop in for a moment...

Yo, S Solaros . Turns out I had left the "_en" on my sc_selcharacter.pac. Admittedly not my brightest moment. Things appear to be working just fine now, though I've got one small error going on here. The name for my clone isn't showing up at all on the CSS, instead it's just giving me a grey box (as seen here). I can also verify that I do have the proper texture in my sc_selcharacter.pac (as seen here). Any idea of what's going on there?
Wait, where did you get a sc_selcharacter_en.pac from?
As for the name there, my first guess is that file is missing its corresponding .pat0 entry in MenSelchrFaceI_TopN__0. I've only seen that issue when the .pat0 entry is missing, or the file itself is missing. Let me know if the problem persists!

May I use someone elses build that works? Ive been trying to get this to work but it wont.
Depends, are you running this on Dolphin? Hackless? What exactly is the issue?

Can you make a video tutorial. I was in the middle of adding Deadpool, and got to the config templates section. Then had no clue how to use HxD.
You don't need any prior knowledge of the software I link in the guide, the instructions should be all you need. (Unless they weren't clear?)
I'm still wondering how I can embed .gifs of me doing the whole process, no luck so far. Video tutorials are out of my scope though. :(

Top Bottom