• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*UPDATE* I now have the game and...I can honestly say DON'T WORRY SHE'S STILL GOOD!

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
She is just as tricky as ever.... you guys that have seen videos of crappy Samus players please ignore them because in my HONEST opinion..Samus can be one of the best characters in this Game.. now let's first start with who I am...

I'm not exactly a popular smasher since I stopped going to tournaments and focused more on other things like school and whatnot...I'm more known for random funny videos..search "xsilvenx" on youtube if you care... if you do watch some of my smash vids you will notice that I was a pretty decent Samus player. I might even say...semi-pro at best.. so with that said you should know that I'm no n00b so It's not like this is a random scrub saying this...

Now about her missiles...yes they take longer to come out but just by a little bit. They are still extremely useful and if you are given enough space (and a platform) you can still spam them enough to annoy the heck out of your opponent. ..sounds pretty nubish right.. homing missiles come out alot faster than the regular missile so for example if I'm running off a platform and want to turn around and shoot a straight missile..it won't come out...but if I run off the same platform and shoot a homing missile it will come out a bit before I land. Also the homing missiles seem to be alot more effective ..it might just be me though but I found that they knocked Foxes very low when they were charging up their up+b's...could have been the same in Melee but whatever.

Her aerials are amazing....all of them have either very little lag or no lag at all when you touch the floor...it's quite amazing really. Even Marth (who's still very annoying to fight against) has a laggy move (dair) and he's supposed to be flawless hah. Doing things like downair to jab will work... also neutral air to anything pretty much works. Shffl'ing pretty much works the same with Samus as in melee the only difference being of course the use of "L" ...you simply DON'T have to press it.

Back-air is amazing..you can do it so many times in the air while DI'ing left and right..it lends alot of maneuverability to her aerial game....at first it feels weird like a developer mistake or something but you'll quickly let go and get over the stagnant Samus of Melee and get used to the floaty jigglypuff-like Samus of Brawl...In my opinion it's just wayyy better.

Now I didn't alway think this good about Samus. At first I was really disappointed in how Samus felt. It really felt like a beta character...like she wasn't quite finished or polished. I thought I wasn't gonna main her anymore but as the vs matches kept starting up I found myself liking her more and more..AGAIN. I kept picking her...in fact I barely played any other characters. I feel that Samus is DEFINITELY my main..as sure as I was in Melee is as sure as I am NOW in Brawl.

I will review all of her attacks now..since I don't want to bore you with this crappy paragraph format.

UpB - Simply amazing...you can STILL upb out of shield and it's just as effective as ever. It pushes the opponent back just enough so that you can safely land after the upb is done. It's still a solid move..and it also goes alot higher than in Melee

DownB - Now this one of those "nerfed" moves you heard about. You can double bomb jump for recovery but you can no longer bomb jump off the character due to the bomb physically exploding on the character and the explosion hitting Samus...it just doesn't happen. The bomb seems to phase right through the character until it's ready to explode.. not much of a drawback..if you were the type of Samus that LOVED bomb jumping off of opponents you will get used to this surprisingly quick..given you learn as fast as I do.

"B" Charge Shot - It charges in about the same time as Melee...I didn't get a chance to actually clock it but it charges pretty fast. It looks alot smaller but that may be because the characters in this game seem to be very large. It's a good kill move around 100+ damage..just like it was in Melee although I do have to admit sometimes I would shoot it at a highly damaged character and go "WTF!" as they did not die...it's probably a bit weaker you might want to use it for edgeguarding and not just for randomly shooting..it probably won't kill as good as you expect it to.

Forward B Missile
- I think I talked about this before...lol sorry for the horrible formatting but yah it's still a very solid move. Don't bother trying to missile spam or ledge cancel them...they come out way too slow for that but if you time it right you can semi-spam the missiles..it's hard to explain. Once you play the game for yourself you will know what I'm talking about, it'll probably be the first thing that comes to you like it did to me.

Airdodge - her airdodge lays her out pretty vertically so she's an easy target to spot..don't think you can spam shorthop airdodge with forward momentum as a sort of bootleg air-wavedash..it's completely useless to use like that..given your opponent has some sort of sense they will just wait and forward-smash you. It's pretty easy to predict....what I did find out though is that if you shorthop airdodge across the opponent and through him while he's doing an attack you will land in back of him and that pretty much opens up a WORLD of opportunities..as he won't be able to shield grab you (which is extremely fast in this game)

Grapple hook - This is one of the BEST things in this game. In general ...I love the auto sweetspot now...I used to think it dimished some of the edgeguarding game but this is NOT true. You can intercept anyone from their upb... so the edgeguarding is still there but just not in the same way. For example what you DONT want to do is wait on the stage and uptilt foxes like you could in Melee..they will just sweetspot the ledge and it will just be wasted effort. What you can do..if they're below the stage is drop down while he's charging his up+b and backair while he firefoxes up behind you..for some of you this may be hard to visualize but edgeguarding is alot more creative, fun and intuitive plus it gives alot more characters a better chance to recover. Now specifically..Samus's grapple will work up to 3 times OFF THE LEDGE. Yes you can repeatedly grapple off the ledge up to 3 times..after the 3rd time you can upb so you have a total of FOUR chances to recover and/or play around on the ledge. If you try to grapple a 4th time, it will come out but it will not stick to the stage and you will then be able to upb..so even if you mess up and grapple 4 times you will get a chance to do another up b. It's really a HUGE step-up because in Melee after you used your grapple off the ledge once that was just it.

Forward Smash
- OMG...when I saw the knockback on this...I was like YES!!! it actually kills now!!!...only one huge problem...you can't crouch cancel a run so you can't do it while running...atleast not that we know of yet. But when you do perform a forward smash it usually kills at high percentages..so satisfying now. Unlike Melee where people survive Samus's forward smashes at 150% and crap percentages like that.

Downsmash - I never killed anyone with it but it comes out super quick and it has good enough knockback to be considered an escape or "give me some breathing room" type of move and it seems to have the same amount of range but this can be an illusion..this samus looks a tiny bit more "Fat" to me for some reason. She isn't as tall and slim as Melee Samus so her legs seem a bit chubby..this may just be me once again though haha.

Up-smash
- I barely used this so I honestly have no idea how it works. From what it looks like it's probably just as useful as Melee...and that's probably saying too much since once again I barely used it..

Final Smash - It takes some sort of skill to aim it because it's really easy to dodge if you are idling...simply jump over it and airstall as long as you can... anyway I tried turning around and using it just like a charge shot..and it doesn't work so make sure your opponent is actually in front of your eyes when you press "B". One thing should be noted though..in high ceiling stages the opponent will usually survive unless they are really high. It's an amazing edgeguard move,and also pretty good to just randomly use as you see fit...not that it will always kill. From my experience I'll say it's near a guaranteed kill if your opponent is over 100.

I'm not gonna go any further into aerial specifics and stuff like that but I'm just providing my little section on Samus just to somehow give hope to all the Samus mains out there. I really don't see any reason to be disappointed...if anything I would say I like this samus wayyyy better than Melee Samus based on the fact that she can do the same things that were considered fair. The exploits like swd, missile spamming, elongated grappling(US Melee) and all that stuff was Melee specific and in true retrospect..does not seem all that special to me now anyway. What I truly miss though is bomb jumping...but that's really the only thing. Samus may be nerfed but who isn't in this game...nobody in my opinion is better than their Melee counterpart and that's simply because Melee's brand of fighting was in a far different league than Brawl which seems to focus alot more on Smashes, spacing, mindgames and dare I say it...randomly slipping *sigh* . It's funny because if you look at Kirby... you will see that he is pretty much EXACTLY the same, other than his running air and forward b...none of which are significantly overpowering...but alot of people say that he is alot better. Maybe he isn't better at all..maybe it's just all the seemingly overpowered characters have been brought down a bit to Brawl's fighting specifics which seems to balance things a bit more. In my whole experience with the game (literally the whole day) I've yet to complain about anything in the game being overpowered or "broken" so to speak.

Sorry in advance for my typing..it's 4AM in the morning and I just felt I had to post this today before going to sleep. After seeing alot of these people disappointed with Samus it kind of inspired me lol. I hope I helped..and of course I'll be checking back to this thread so if you have questions about Samus's specifics feel free to ask.

*UPDATE*

Videos of me showing the awesome effectiveness of Samus

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3907895#post3907895

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
great news, thanks!

glad to hear to the good news about bomb jumping....and you can grapple the edge 3 times before landing? excellent. only being able to grab the side once was my Achilles heel in melee.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
I am glad you enjoyed playing Samus. I had such different impressions of her moves in brawl its pretty funny. Makes me glad that someone else was being more effective with her than I was. Maybe I have focused too much on the change, but its definitely encouraging to hear that you were able to be more effective with her than I was.

I found myself having a very hard time spacing out Samus kill moves since they were so few and far between.

Your enthusiasm makes me excited to try out Samus again after a discouraging day yesterday, thanks.

Edit:
Now specifically..Samus's grapple will work up to 3 times OFF THE LEDGE. Yes you can repeatedly grapple off the ledge up to 3 times..after the 3rd time you can upb so you have a total of FOUR chances to recover and/or play around on the ledge. If you try to grapple a 4th time, it will come out but it will not stick to the stage and you will then be able to upb..so even if you mess up and grapple 4 times you will get a chance to do another up b. It's really a HUGE step-up because in Melee after you used your grapple off the ledge once that was just it.
Interesting, I didnt realize there was a limit to the number of grapples.

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
Hey I know who you are Silven, you're good at Melee. Thanks for this, your post is really informative. Best take on edgeguarding I've seen so far.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I still feel that I might be shifting to ZSS. Although it sounds like Samus' stronger edgeguard may keep me happy.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Hey I know who you are Silven, you're good at Melee. Thanks for this, your post is really informative. Best take on edgeguarding I've seen so far.
Thanks alot.

About Zero Suit Samus I completely left her out and for good reason...she feels very very much like a 2ndary character. I don't think she was meant to be played as a standalone character...now before you guys get mad at me just hear me out... This is just from my second impression playing Brawl today a second time. She's extremely weak and has just a few kill moves. Her smashes are pretty decent, her stun attacks are very nice but it just doesn't feel like they made her to be able to play by herself. I'm sure alot of people said the same thing about Sheik (when they thought she was weak) but I dunno it just feels secondary as hell when i play her.

The feeling I get after I use Samus's final smash is "omg I can't wait 'til I get another smash ball to transform back into regular Samus" ...I mean it's fun and all to whiff around and run all over the stage with her nice speed and jumping but Samus is just so much more of a killing character that I'd rather not play with her for the whole game. I will get more on her later I guess when I play more tomorrow.

Solo Assass1n

Smash Journeyman
I thank you for the effort in typing this up and not being so pessimistic like many of the other people in the Samus section.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
The multi-grapple is infinitely useful.
I loovve it. The missiles are nerfed just enough to be useful in ways other than constant spamming.

WhiteDragon

Smash Cadet
Quick question for you...probably sound stupid for asking, but is there a way to stay ZSS from the beginning of the Brawl like Sheik in Melee? I haven't heard anything about that yet and it's kinda disappointing me.

Also really nice to see that she kept all the tricky things that made me love her in Melee ^_^

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
Hold R on the GCN/Classic Controller when starting a match to start as ZSS. For the Wii Remote, you hold -. For Wii Remote + Nunchuk, hold Z.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
I heard Zero Suit Samus is one of the best characters...
Depends on who you ask I presume...alot of people think the only thing that makes a character is speed but hey in my view I don't think she's that good to stay playing with ALL THE TIME but I gotta honestly say I haven't had much time with her because as soon as I use Samus' final smash I just get another ball to transform back.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Hold R on the GCN/Classic Controller when starting a match to start as ZSS. For the Wii Remote, you hold -. For Wii Remote + Nunchuk, hold Z.
You hold it when you are going from character select screen to the stages screen. In the top left, you should see a little Zero Suit Icon instead of Samus. Holding R when starting a match wont do anything.

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
So, have any combos with Samus been figured out yet? It's not like Samus has a lot of set combos in Melee either, you mainly had to continue with mindgames through tech chase, predicting jumps and such.

Seems like the floatiness and some other things in Brawl have made comboing harder, but are there even any good, basic 2 or 3 hit combos so far?

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Samus is a bit more difficult to combo with now, but really all they did was make it harder to land back airs at higher percents. She can still d-air to b-air at low percents, I couldnt land a down smash or down tilt to anything, but at lower percents there is probably potential (also, down tilt is definitely a kill move, so it wouldnt be useful for comboing at the higher numbers anyway).

I believe Up tilt has about the same knockback as before, so you can prolly u-tilt to b-air successfully.

Forward air now has some weird knockback to it, so dont expect to be chaining that much anymore either.

However, what I did do that was really nice was falling up air to up smash to anything I want. Only works at lower percents, but due to the fact that up smash now holds them in, it does very respectable damage.

RussianBagel

Smash Apprentice
Silven. You're my new best friend. You just made me go on as a Samus main. BTW I'm hosting a Samus/Zamus tourney. I was gonna use ZSS since I lost hope in Samus but you saved my life man. I owe you big time. BTW Brooklyn pride. I'm from BK too.

If you're interested come check out the tourney. Again thanks for inspiring me to use Samus again. Especially with the usefull grapples. Question though. Do you fall helplessly after using the grapple or do you still have full air control?

evilflame101

Smash Journeyman
Can you up b then grapple recover? Cause you can do anything that isn b out of an up b right? so why not grab?

JQWST

Smash Rookie
thank you so much for posting this silven...i was so confused before watching videos because no one was doing anything right.

WhiteDragon

Smash Cadet
You hold it when you are going from character select screen to the stages screen. In the top left, you should see a little Zero Suit Icon instead of Samus. Holding R when starting a match wont do anything.
Thank you both (oops it didn't quote the first response...oh well) for indulging my curiosity. I was hoping to try both of them out without having to have a Smash Ball to do so :)

kro17

Smash Rookie
thanks for this, im looking forward to playing as samus :] was my main in melee

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Good stuff i was getting a little worried with what people were saying about Samus she was one of my mains in melee and it\'s good to get the reasureance that she\'s still just as good.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
One big issue I had with Samus when I was using her was the spacing of her fsmash and her dsmash. It's great that it got a knockback buff (for her fsmash at least), but the wavedash back -> fsmash in melee made the fsmash incredibly reliable.

When I used Samus, my staple kill move was her dtilt and her bair. And a occasional fsmash.
I do love her upB though. More than melee which says alot.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Silven. You're my new best friend. You just made me go on as a Samus main. BTW I'm hosting a Samus/Zamus tourney. I was gonna use ZSS since I lost hope in Samus but you saved my life man. I owe you big time. BTW Brooklyn pride. I'm from BK too.

If you're interested come check out the tourney. Again thanks for inspiring me to use Samus again. Especially with the usefull grapples. Question though. Do you fall helplessly after using the grapple or do you still have full air control?
You could do multiple grapples in the air ..remember how I said you can do an upb right after a missed or ruined grapple? Not only can you do upb but you can pretty much do anything so in other words you don't fall helplessly you go straight back to neutral position after the grapple unlike her Upb where you're done for that air.

Also why would you have a two character tourney lol. I might be interested though.

Can you up b then grapple recover? Cause you can do anything that isn b out of an up b right? so why not grab?
No once you upb that's it...it's the same as Melee. Zero suit samus though can upb multiple times in the air but after the first upb it does not give her any vertical lift so she just sends out the grapple with no lift after the first time.

ZodiacDragon1014

Smash Rookie
This is very pleasing news to hear. I'm glad that the Grappling Hook is going to be awesome, yet not as happy to hear that the Charge Shot has been nerfed a little. Oh well, still gonna play Samus and probably love her. Thanks again for your overview.

qaz

Smash Rookie
So many mixed opinions about Samus, i'll play her anyway but i hope she's as good as u say

_Xanatos_

Smash Apprentice
I'm okay with Samus in Melee, but I wasn't so sure about maining her after reading Metroid 01's analysis. jk ;D This information is really very encouraging, and it gives me hope of using Samus in Brawl.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Heh. >.>. Dont think I am directing this just at you, but I knew I wouldnt be terribly well received when I posted my info about Samus. I might as well try to state exactly what I think as best I can here since I don't plan to update my data given the response.

I stand by my analysis 100%. Everything I stated as fact I will stand by, I put alot of time into learning about Samus in brawl. I have a few discrepancies with what Silven has written, most notably when he says her down smash is faster (it isnt) but the data that we have is more or less consistent, just I went into as much detail on all her moves as I could. Yea, it doesnt look great for Samus, but oh well...she is still playable and not really as bad as her move changes make her look. Sure, I cant convince *anybody* I play with right now that Samus is any good...but I still pull off a few wins.

The biggest issue I see with the character is that she is going to have some matchups that are really stacked against her. Shes slow, but doesnt have alot of power...her projectile game is intended to cover for that, and it does in many instances, but against a surprising number of characters it doesnt. Reflectors are far more dangerous than they ever were in melee, and more characters than ever have projectiles or reflectors of their own. Thats her only real drawback.

Where she has shortcomings, they are really obvious and where she has strengths, it isnt as much... that is all.

and I seriously still dont get the missile cancel thing. Is there really a cancel? I have 5 people with me that play the game all the time that say no...but everyone else seems to have some concrete proof somewhere that it is in. Id love to see it.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
DownB - Now this one of those "nerfed" moves you heard about. You can double bomb jump for recovery but you can no longer bomb jump off the character due to the bomb physically exploding on the character and the explosion hitting Samus...it just doesn't happen. The bomb seems to phase right through the character until it's ready to explode.. not much of a drawback..if you were the type of Samus that LOVED bomb jumping off of opponents you will get used to this surprisingly quick..given you learn as fast as I do.
so, when you drop a bomb on someones shield and it immediately explodes, what happens to samus? mainly i want to know how fast i can drop multiple bombs on someones shield. if the bombs don't bounce samus, then breaking someones shield is going to be hard

EDIT: Jasona in all his amazing wisdom found the need to post as UndrDog. Please disregard his inability to form a coherent post and reply to this post as though you were replying to him.

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
Thanks for the good news to be honest I was never worried and planned on playing Samus no matter what but your news just makes me that much more excited about it.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
so, when you drop a bomb on someones shield and it immediately explodes, what happens to samus? mainly i want to know how fast i can drop multiple bombs on someones shield. if the bombs don't bounce samus, then breaking someones shield is going to be hard
The bombs are really hard for people to understand right now. You have to look at bombs in brawl like you have never seen Samus drop a bomb before in your life. They are nothing like the bombs in melee.

Samus' bombs WILL NOT explode on contact with anything. They will explode only when their timer runs out. This means you can not bomb shields. I have dropped bombs in the approach path of my opponents, at which point they move straight through them and attack me because the bomb wont explode on them anymore.

Bouncing off of your bombs is literally the riskiest thing you can do on the stage as Samus. This is the other problem with trying to bomb a shield. If you get caught in your own bomb explosion, you get locked into more ball mode until the animation ends. There is about 3/4 a second where you stay in morph ball and all you can really do is DI and pray you dont get hit.

ShadowRegulus

Smash Rookie
I gotta wonder... why not pick one thing good about a given move and nerf it rather than pick everything good about a move and nerf it? I mean, bombs sound utterly useless outside of some sketchy recovery now. It pisses me off, because they weren't that ridiculous before. I mean, Falco's lasers are still usable, Fox's reflector can still do some things effectively... I just don't understand why they did some of the things they did to Samus.

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
Samus' bombs WILL NOT explode on contact with anything.
that really sucks, they were really useful to edgeguard a sweetspot, and also to keep distance from players making them jump...so bombs were nerfed as well and bombjumping to return to stage seems unnecessary now since all characters can survive high percentages now and comeback due to floatiness

Top Bottom