• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Update) Aerial C-Stick Issues +*Workaround*

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I tried to replicate it myself with no luck. But if I don't think about it and play it seems to happen. I also haven't played much lately due to work but something is definitely up
I just got offline playing with my wii classic controller C stick set to smash and I got a random Nair, so its definitely something with the game. Doesnt really solve anything, but meh.

busken

Smash Ace
I'm tired of this man. Neglecting his competitive audience is one thing, but actively taking away from it is another. Why is he doing this? What's the big deal?

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
he is referring to Sakurai, but I think whta he is saying is taking things a little too far. It is not that Sakurai meant to take this out, it is completely to do with the coding of the charged c-stick mechanic, which is a welcome edition. Re-coding that could take quite some time potentially.

wmo_

Smash Cadet
I just got offline playing with my wii classic controller C stick set to smash and I got a random Nair, so its definitely something with the game. Doesnt really solve anything, but meh.
well good to know. im going to wait for the first wii u patch and see what happens. I don't know how to report a bug like this to them

edit: an idea I had was record a video of someone playing and record the right of the controller with a video camera. play and wait for unwanted nairs. review the footage and sync the game video with the video of the hands and controller. see if it was input or not.

on another note, I think it has something to do with tilting the c-stick. I actually did it three times in a row, I tilted up with c-stick (not all the way up, tilted as if you would when you hold the control stick left, down or up) and I was able to nair. it was the strangest thing, after I couldn't do it anymore. I swear it does it when you tilt the c-stick. I'm also flicking the c-stick as fast as possible because of the c-stick changes. if you flick you can still move in the air. I dont want to change c-stick to tilt in order to fix the aerial issue

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
It has to do with what we've pointed out in this thread, which is that both sticks cannot both be used at any time in gameplay at any point. It affects aerial play greatly as this is when both sticks are used in conjunction.

wmo_

Smash Cadet
It has to do with what we've pointed out in this thread, which is that both sticks cannot both be used at any time in gameplay at any point. It affects aerial play greatly as this is when both sticks are used in conjunction.
the urge to try c-stick tilt is greatly rising...

CT_Emerl

Smash Cadet
he is referring to Sakurai, but I think whta he is saying is taking things a little too far. It is not that Sakurai meant to take this out, it is completely to do with the coding of the charged c-stick mechanic, which is a welcome edition. Re-coding that could take quite some time potentially.
oh k

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Heads up to anyone using wiimote+nunchuck, it works perfectly just as it did in brawl. Setting the D-pad to smashes doesnt disable the left analog stick because you cant charge smashes with the pad.

pk_melee

Smash Cadet
So the nair-on-diagonal thing really sucks. Was it like that in Brawl? How can we give feedback about things like this, to get them into the Custom Controls screen?

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
IIRC Brawl did it if you set the stick to tilts. SSB4 is the same, does it with tilts but not smashes. IMO it's a good thing being able to nair while moving. If you want a different aerial, don't hit diagonal. Diagonal aerials don't exist anyway, so it doesn't interfere with anything.

Endeby

Smash Cadet
NNID
Endeby
Can you buffer rolls OOS with the control stick in this game? Because you can't use the C-stick for it if you tilt-stick. Probably better to just learn to flick the c-stick, if that isn't the case.

edit: Perhaps not even using the C-stick will truly buffer a roll in this game? Does anyone know how it works.

Last edited:

Conda

So the nair-on-diagonal thing really sucks. Was it like that in Brawl? How can we give feedback about things like this, to get them into the Custom Controls screen?
You get used to it, but it's still finicky.

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24
Okay, so I've been testing some stuff after reading this thread and here is my personal decision on what is best: I feel that the extra bit of momentum conservation with using c-stick set to attack/tilt is not worth the extra finickiness that the setting gives. Even if you flick the c-stick as fast as possible some momentum can possibly be lost, but I don't feel like its enough of a loss to gain back along with the finickiness.

Here's the rundown: if you give any cardinal input that is exactly between two different attacks (uair and upper-right nair), the game will flip-flop on which attack comes out. This means that you have to be much more precise with your c-stick inputs, unnecessarily so imo. Because if you are not exactly giving an input in one of the 8 cardinal directions, you run the risk of throwing out a move that you didn't intend.

Comparing this to the default controls...the game seems to only do this flip-flop when you give an input that is exactly on the diagonal meaning there is significantly more leeway.

You could argue that the former control scheme is superior with practice (or if you're a robot), but I see it as more possible inputs (I don't mean instances of input from being bad) that will give you a random outcome. That's not something that I want. It's kind of like adding another button to the controller that will do a random move if you press it. Or if you were to divide the GC controller A button into two halves and one half will randomly do a special or attack move. But because of that randomness, it's a button you never want to press but you have to deal with it on the controller.

Also, another bug about the c-stick: regardless of the control scheme (tilt or smash c-stick), a diagonal input will sometimes cause you to move forward in the air if you jump straight up and throw out the diagonal c-stick attack, albeit this happens quite rarely.

Also also, some people mentioned a nair being thrown out using the c-stick with the default control scheme. That has happened to me before as well.

pk_melee

Smash Cadet
I find it somewhat hard to tilt in general, so setting C-Tilts will improve my game IMO. I'm very reliably able to get out smash attacks via Stick + A.

This is especially important for some characters. Villager for example. Her tilt attacks are better ranged, faster, and more reliable than her smashes. Having umbrella on C-Forward improves my game drastically. Accidentally using the bowling ball all the time was killing me.

This will be opposite, of course, for characters that have better/faster ground smashes than tilts.

I suggest 3 control profiles. Tilt, Smash, B-Sticking. Switch names as you select a character that's better with a different scheme.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
guys for ness is bettere smash or tilts?

Conda

guys for ness is bettere smash or tilts?
Imo Smash, as his tilts are limited and generally jab is better than ftilt and dtilt, and jump-nair is better than utilt. For general use of course. You should still use his tilts when it makes sense to, but they arent part of his bread and butter.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
This situation is so damn frustrating. One of my mains in Meta Knight and this issue hinders his air potential a lot. But when I set it to tilts, his air game is greatly improved at the sacrifice of his round game because setting tilts to the right analog stick is extremely unreliable...which practically renders the right analog stick useless for the ground. I'm amazed they ****ed up the c stick controls so badly with this game. I'm so conflicted about which is worse, especially since I use the right analog stick for smashes so often.

Blazer561

Smash Rookie
I've had C-stick issues while playing online where moving the C-stick in any direction inputs a single "A" or neutral attack randomly. This is extremely weird because it only happens while playing with people online (not in the waiting room) and because the C-stick is directional, not stationary. Not sure if this is the case for those who switched their C-stick input to tilts.

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
For wario I use the c stick for tilts. His tilts are really good especially his f tilt. No more accidental fsmash for me.

DeaDea

Smash Cadet
Actually setting c-stick to tilt is great - at least that's what I find for megaman. Having the ability to jump back while nair'ing is awesome. Of course, you run the risk of accidentally doing it, but that's why you practice it!

Its smash bros - you should not accidentally be pressing the wrong buttons. If you are, go to the lab for 20 mins for a few days and you'll be sorted.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
  1. After doing the adjustments prior to reading this thread a few weeks ago( my muscle meory really hated it ).The change has really helped toned down my relentless c-sticking habit of f smashing that I developed from playing brawl. XD

Muro

Smash Lord
I think I'm changing too. I c-stick all my aerials except nair (and I may start doing it with nair now too). Plus isn't perfect pivoting also easier with C stick set to tilts?

Mega Rayquaza

Smash Rookie
I still have mine set to smashes because while having it set to tilts was kinda nice, I found it harder to adjust to. And maybe I'm just really fast with hitting the c stick but I almost never have any issues with using it and still having aerial momentum (but holding it in a direction for even a split second more does make me drop like a rock lol).

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I still have the C-stick set to Smashes. I'm just conditioning myself to flick the C-stick quickly instead of holding it slightly like I'm use to. Which actually isn't proving that difficult to accomplish.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I've had C-stick issues while playing online where moving the C-stick in any direction inputs a single "A" or neutral attack randomly. This is extremely weird because it only happens while playing with people online (not in the waiting room) and because the C-stick is directional, not stationary. Not sure if this is the case for those who switched their C-stick input to tilts.
This is because C-stick inputs Attack + Smash Direction, and with the way how Smash 4 works, these inputs are counted separately, so input lag affects this.

This is the main reason why I decided to switch to tilts, and after a few hours I'm already seeing improvements in my mobility. It's unfortunate Nintendo badly programmed Smash C-stick so much.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
To me, tilts don't work well with the analog stick because a lot of them are supposed to be executed quickly which makes them work so much better with a button that you can tap fast. That, and it's less reliable because the analog stick has to reset to do it again. Try executing Meta Knight's three hit side tilt effectively with a right analog stick. It just flat out doesn't work well, but goddamn his air game is so much ****ing better with tilt smash that it's ridiculous.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
To me, tilts don't work well with the analog stick because a lot of them are supposed to be executed quickly which makes them work so much better with a button that you can tap fast. That, and it's less reliable because the analog stick has to reset to do it again. Try executing Meta Knight's three hit side tilt effectively with a right analog stick. It just flat out doesn't work well, but goddamn his air game is so much ****ing better with tilt smash that it's ridiculous.
Could you hit Right-Left-Right on the Cstick? Haven't used it myself and can't test, but may be worth a shot as all you need is the Attack input, and the direction doesn't matter

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Could you hit Right-Left-Right on the Cstick? Haven't used it myself and can't test, but may be worth a shot as all you need is the Attack input, and the direction doesn't matter
...I think when I read this, I might have not understood what you meant here at the time and forgot about the response. I actually haven't. >_> Sounds worth attempting, though it also sounds like a pain in the ass with Diddy's really fast claps. I wish I could set the Pro Controller's A button to tilt smashes and X to smashes. At a tournament I went to tonight, I kept failing to execute side smashes which cost me a bunch of games. One guy I fought went over 200%. So ****ing annoying I have issues executing smashes consistently. Some people recommend I just set the right analog stick back to smash attacks, but then my air game gets ****ed over badly. Ugh...

pk_melee

Smash Cadet
SO ANNOYING trying to C-Stick Smash when there's a bit of lag. Jabs come out. Missed several blatant KOs because I start jabbing rather than getting out a down smash.

mighty bean

Smash Cadet
I know this is an old topic, but I just wanted to say that outputting a jab on a diagonal c-stick input is actually very useful as a Peach main. It allows for so much more mobility when using f-airs. For example, d-tilt > f-float + n-air > d-throw is WAY more manageable when I can move freely and still input jabs.

Now if I could just get my hands on a GC adapter, then we're in business...

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
Update on the 'set c-stick to tilts' workaround:

Inputting a diagonal with the C-stick on the ground initiates a JAB. Thus, tilted f-tilts are not possible. And mis-presses and accidental jabs may be likely.

Diagonals also perform a NAIR in the air.
This is the reason I didn't want to switch to t-stick....

Top Bottom