• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

up-b stuff

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Since this is already out there and not many check the DK boards anyway I might as well say what I know. Any normal attack will clank with the up b and instantly cancel the invincibility frames. Attacks that do 14 or more damage will clank with and beat the up b. Attacks that do less than that will just clank cancel (leaving both of you right next to each other). Aerials (except pikmin aerials) and other attacks that can't clank will just go through you. That's really all there is to it.

attackes that go through up-b invincibility easily

Snake

grenade toss
F-tilt
up-tilt

wario

f-smash

meta knight

take a guess

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
GAYNADO?!?! lol i can see why uptilt can but ftilt wtf? have you ever tested lucarios f smash with the aura? i have been smashed by it a few times when doing the up b on yoshis, not so sure if i was doing it wrong though.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
GAYNADO?!?! lol i can see why uptilt can but ftilt wtf? have you ever tested lucarios f smash with the aura? i have been smashed by it a few times when doing the up b on yoshis, not so sure if i was doing it wrong though.
I've actually not tested into this at all, I was hoping we could do it to get some activity in here

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
well ill turn on my wii and start testing away and see what happens or we could try to go online and test it out together.

daisho

Smash Lord
Ripple.... DESTROY THIS THREAD...

(lucarios f smash and aurashphere at higher percents. Yoshis eggs. Gannons F smash. Ikes f smash. Marths F smash i think sometimes... maybe tippers?)

Those are the only moves (that i can remember now) ive encountered that flat out go through. Im pretty sure Snakes F tilt clanks...

For the record ive thought of making this thread for a while, but publicizing this didn't seem like a good idea.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
snakes grenades are great at 'canceling' the upbglitch and then pursuing a f.tilt while we lag. it seems we only have enough time to shield it, which pushes us back off the stage.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Ripple.... DESTROY THIS THREAD...

(lucarios f smash and aurashphere at higher percents. Yoshis eggs. Gannons F smash. Ikes f smash. Marths F smash i think sometimes... maybe tippers?)

Those are the only moves (that i can remember now) ive encountered that flat out go through. Im pretty sure Snakes F tilt clanks...

For the record ive thought of making this thread for a while, but publicizing this didn't seem like a good idea.
who actually comes to the DK boards besides dk mains??? honestly....

its good to know who NOT to take there. especially if they have 3 or more attacks that break our trick

edit: oh and daisho, its the explosion not the toss

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
I know Pit's arrows will clank, and therefore stop it, but I don't think you get any lag, it just instantly cancels so it's not really punishable. Not sure if that's even really what you're talking about or looking for but figured it's worth a mention?

That's my 2 cents

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
it is NOT the grenade explosion that cancels DK's UpB.
its the toss itself. hitboxes that collide w/ the starting hitboxes of DK's upB can cancel his whole upB and leave him lagging enough for potential retaliation.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Good plan, lets put the weaknesses of one of our best AT's in a thread for all our opponents to read. This should have been in the general discussion thread. And it's the actual grenades that clank with the up b.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Lucas' PK Fire also hits you out of it. But it's not like you'd really need that trick against Lucas anyway... lol.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I really don't get why a DK main would put this out there like that. This isn't even really new (I've mentioned this before and seen it in one the the threads before too). The good thing is that aerials never clank with your up b so you don't have to worry about those.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Good plan, lets put the weaknesses of one of our best AT's in a thread for all our opponents to read. This should have been in the general discussion thread. And it's the actual grenades that clank with the up b.
I really don't get why a DK main would put this out there like that. This isn't even really new (I've mentioned this before and seen it in one the the threads before too). The good thing is that aerials never clank with your up b so you don't have to worry about those.
its so you guys don't keep abusing this attack when it clearly won't work against some characters, like against snake. if you guys maybe you would think you did it wrong and try again... and again to have it work like I did. I'm trying to help but you guys can't see that

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
its so you guys don't keep abusing this attack when it clearly won't work against some characters, like against snake. if you guys maybe you would think you did it wrong and try again... and again to have it work like I did. I'm trying to help but you guys can't see that
I see where you are coming from. It isn't as bad as that CSS thread (I don't think it was made by a DK main either) but I don't think it needed it's own thread for publicity when it could have been posted in the general discussion. I wasn't looking a gift horse in the mouth or anything like that.

Since this is already out there and not many check the DK boards anyway I might as well say what I know. Any normal attack will clank with the up b and instantly cancel the invincibility frames. Attacks that do 14 or more damage will clank with and beat the up b. Attacks that do less than that will just clank cancel (leaving both of you right next to each other). Aerials (except pikmin aerials) and other attacks that can't clank will just go through you. That's really all there is to it.

daisho

Smash Lord
Have you tested that extensively? Im not positive but i think attacks like fully charged shield breaker have gone through. Maybe special moves don't count...?

And do yoshis eggs do 14 damage?

I think your oversimplifying a really complicated technique.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Those are both special moves and have their own mechanics. The eggs hit twice and the first hit clanks while the egg explosion hits you while in clank lag. Same for the tornado. It hits a zillion times and it only takes one hit to clank with your up b to break it. Fully charged shield breaker does more than 14 damage so I don't really think that conflicts with anything I've said.

It isn't that complicated. The special moves interacting with it is as complicated as it gets and that only gets confusing for already complicated special moves.

daisho

Smash Lord
Those are both special moves and have their own mechanics. The eggs hit twice and the first hit clanks while the egg explosion hits you while in clank lag. Same for the tornado. It hits a zillion times and it only takes one hit to clank with your up b to break it. Fully charged shield breaker does more than 14 damage so I don't really think that conflicts with anything I've said.

It isn't that complicated. The special moves interacting with it is as complicated as it gets and that only gets confusing for already complicated special moves.
I guess i could be wrong, it wasn't extensive testing, but i tested it with someone online once (they didn't believe me) and every time he egged me i got broken up even if it wasnt a direct hit.

Ive gone through shield breakers so if its over 14 it should break me up.

Also 90% sure ive gone through snakes f smash.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Well the thing is the attack isn't out until frame 19 and ends on frame 56 so for frames 1-18 and frame 57-84 you have true invincibility. They can't clank with air after all. Also almost any attack breaks it but only ones that do 14 or more damage will break it and hit you out of it doing damage and all that jazz. Certain multi-hitting specials also work.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
o0o0o0o nice info. ;)

I've put weaknesses for Snake out and many-a-boards have put weaknesses for their things out.... it's about advancing the game. Not keeping your character "good".

I also had figured out my grenades were clanking with the Invinci-Up-B and was going to test it further, but it looks like theorycraft stopped it all.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'm also pretty sure that the invincibility can go through some regular attacks. some attacks don't clank with it.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
I agree with SuSa on advancing the game. But does anyone know if items stop this? E.G. armor pieces, turnips, and banana peels?

Another question while I'm at it: If a banana peel hits you while you have super armor, on the ground, does it induce the trip?

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Another question while I'm at it: If a banana peel hits you while you have super armor, on the ground, does it induce the trip?
No, you will not trip.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Haha hopefully we didn't pull enough attention from people from other boards, but hey who even looks at the DK boards.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Yea the guy who said you can get out of cargo throws with holding up, man, I was hurt for weeks on that one.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Wow seriously...since this is all true, it seems like the frames aren't even invincible, but they still technically are because of the white stuff that you would see indicating its invincibility.

Top Bottom