• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
What the **** was the point of putting all that work into assist trophies and keeping them entirely random? Why can't people pick an assist character with a meter?

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I think that Assist Trophies should be like toggled stages. Same with Pokeballs. I know that it would be cheesed so that only the really OP ones are left, but I would only remove the ones like Skull Kid, Palkia and Nintendog that don't really help anybody.

Iridium

Smash Hero
:ultkrool: is rather dull, at least compared to initial thoughts on him. He's not as good as a lot of people say. If anything, it's likely he might just fall off hard soon.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I hate it when people unironically use the term "anime-style," since unless the game designers specifically said a character was anime-style, the term itself becomes completely ambiguous. Obviously games like more recent Fire Emblem titles were designed to be "anime-style," but guess what? The designers of Breath of the Wild also described the game as "anime-style," and I think we can all agree that Breath of the Wild looks nothing like either Fire Emblem or any traditional anime/manga. So unless you know whether or not a game was intended to be anime-style, there's no point in throwing around such an ambiguous term.

D

Deleted member

People who complain about too many swordsmen but tbh an axe user wouldn't be too much different honestly, just a slower sword user- oh wait, so basically Ike. Also there's waaaaay more brawlers and tech users then sword dudes. Sword dudes aren't a problem.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
-I don’t blame people for complaining about “generic anime” characters in Smash since it’s primarily a silly fighting game where characters go flying out of the arena and pelt each other with items so naturally people would prefer cartoony characters that actually fit the zany vibe of Smash then the more serious and realistically proportioned characters, not saying it’s a valid argument but I can atleast see where they’re coming from.

-There’s nothing wrong with criticizing FE’s oversaturation in Smash, yes I’m aware it’s big and popular but it’s no Mario or Pokemon.
Just because you’re a FE fan doesn’t mean you should ignore people’s disdain about it.

-Nobody is an idiot for believing the Grinch leak or vice versa for anyone who denied it.
If anybody arrogantly claims that it was obviously fake from the start despite how elaborately well made it was then frankly they’re just full of it.

Last edited:

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I have never played an Animal Crossing game and have no opinion on the franchise as a whole. I thought it made logical sense for Villager to be added. But since this game came out, I have learned that I absolutely despite Isabelle with an all-consuming venom usually reserved for the Third Party characters. I have no idea why but even just seeing her on the character splash screen just fills me with rage.

I'm fine with the number of Fire Emblem characters, seeing as I like the series and when you consider how many characters actually exist in the FE universe what we're getting in Smash is a tiny, tiny portion. Though I share some of the sentiments expressed above about a lack of diversity with the weapon classes, and that it isn't fair for people to include Robin and Corrin when they're whining about 'sword users'.

Celica would have been an ideal Echo Fighter for Robin.

I thought there would be more Echo Fighters given they made such a big deal out of it, creating a special name and everything. Seems odd that there were so few after that build up.

And what in the world is the point of Richter?

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
-I don’t blame people for complaining about “generic anime” characters in Smash since it’s primarily a silly fighting game where characters go flying out of the arena and pelt each other with items so naturally people would prefer characters that actually fit the zany vibe of Smash then the more serious and realistically proportioned characters, not saying it’s a valid argument but I can atleast see where they’re coming from.

-There’s nothing wrong with criticizing FE’s oversaturation in Smash, yes I’m aware it’s big and popular but it’s no Mario or Pokemon.
Just because you’re a FE fan doesn’t you should ignore people’s disdain about it.

-Nobody is a idiot for believing the Grinch leak or vice versa for anyone who denied it.
If someone arrogantly claims that it was “obviously fake” from the start despite how elaborately well made it was then frankly they’re just full of it.
I agree with all three but especially that first one. Thanks for sympathizing with my viewpoint.

osby

Smash Obsessed
-I don’t blame people for complaining about “generic anime” characters in Smash since it’s primarily a silly fighting game where characters go flying out of the arena and pelt each other with items so naturally people would prefer characters that actually fit the zany vibe of Smash then the more serious and realistically proportioned characters, not saying it’s a valid argument but I can atleast see where they’re coming from.
That's silly. "Anime" styled characters aren't the only realistically proportioned or serious characters, people are just acting like their biases have a natural reasoning.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
-I don’t blame people for complaining about “generic anime” characters in Smash since it’s primarily a silly fighting game where characters go flying out of the arena and pelt each other with items so naturally people would prefer cartoony characters that actually fit the zany vibe of Smash then the more serious and realistically proportioned characters, not saying it’s a valid argument but I can atleast see where they’re coming from.
I have less of a problem with anime fighters and more of a problem with the edgelord characters we have. It's the fact that characters like Cloud and Ike act all smug all of the time that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth, so when we get these new anime-style fighters it feels the same.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
The funniest thing about this "anime character" debate is that out of all the characters accused as being one, only Marth actually was in an anime. And on the other hand, characters like Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Sonic, and of course, the "slayer of anime" himself, Captain Falcon, actually were in legitimate anime.

D

Deleted member

The funniest thing about this "anime character" debate is that out of all the characters accused as being one, only Marth actually was in an anime. And on the other hand, characters like Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Sonic, and of course, the "slayer of anime" himself, Captain Falcon, actually were in legitimate anime.
Cloud had an anime movie, i think.

Same for Bayonetta.

D

Deleted member

Advent Children? That was a 3D animation.

Bloody Fate, yes, was an animated movie.
There was another that was 2D animated.

Was the name Crisis Core?

Edit: it actually was Last Order, i looked it up

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

That's silly. "Anime" styled characters aren't the only realistically proportioned or serious characters, people are just acting like their biases have a natural reasoning.
It leaves a bad taste in my mouth when people wanna leave out gaming legends like Link, Samus, Cloud, or Erdrick or even just heavy hitters like Snake or Joker because "muh clashing aesthetics" in a game where a cartoon space fox can kick a fat plumber into lava while trying to get to the final stage so he can fight a giant creepy white hand with terrifying laughs. Smash will always have clashing aesthetics, so why not let gaming legends get in because their aesthetics also clash? Besides, seeing these serious anime pretty boys fighting giant cartoon crocodiles while trying not to get kicked off the stage and avoiding items makes the game MORE silly, chaotic, and fun, which is always welcome. Clashing aesthetics are inevitable in a crossover game as big as Smash, and that's a good thing. Might as well only leave Mario characters in if you're concerned about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
And what in the world is the point of Richter?
It basically boils down to Simon is, essentially, the mascot of Castlevania in the West, and Richter is the same in Japan. Sakurai made both happy by including him as an echo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Zelda is more traditionally Anime than modern Fire Emblem ever will. Especially Breath of the Wild and Ocarina of Time. I think it's silly to think FE is too anime then only to complain about not getting one of the many prettybois or waifus from the Zelda franchise.

And I for sure share the opinion that we should have more Zelda representation, so it isn't even me hating on that franchise either.

From my perspective, the FE representation isn't oversaturated, just kinda misplaced. SSB has prioritized a bunch of Marth clones over other unique inclusions, such as Tharja, Tiki, Hector, Sharena, and so forth. (I say clones loosely, the main problem is how everyone thinks FE is just some sorta animu k-pop bluehair sword franchise because none of the Smash representation has any weapon but swords)

D

Deleted member

Zelda is more traditionally Anime than modern Fire Emblem ever will. Especially Breath of the Wild and Ocarina of Time. I think it's silly to think FE is too anime then only to complain about not getting one of the many prettybois or waifus from the Zelda franchise.

And I for sure share the opinion that we should have more Zelda representation, so it isn't even me hating on that franchise either.

From my perspective, the FE representation isn't oversaturated, just kinda misplaced. SSB has prioritized a bunch of Marth clones over other unique inclusions, such as Tharja, Tiki, Hector, Sharena, and so forth. (I say clones loosely, the main problem is how everyone thinks FE is just some sorta animu k-pop bluehair sword franchise because none of the Smash representation has any weapon but swords)
Ehhhh I would say FE Awakening and Fates lean a lot more towards cliche anime then say BotW

(At least those two games had a story)

osby

Smash Obsessed

After new Assist Trophies and Spirits, they have no excuse.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
(At least those two games had a story)
Pretty sure breath of the Wild was never meant to be as story intensive as previous titles since that would make the player feel obligated to complete certain challenges instead of exploring the world at their own pace as intended.

D

Deleted member

Pretty sure breath of the Wild was never meant to be as story intensive as previous titles since that would make the player feel obligated to complete certain challenges instead of exploring the world at their own pace as intended.
No I understand, but I just wished there was something more of substance in the time of the game rather then the past. The DLC would've been perfect, but it was just more shrines and memoried. Interesting, very fun memories, but still nothing that effects the time of the game or Links journey.

still a 10/10 game though

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
No I understand, but I just wished there was something more of substance in the time of the game rather then the past. The DLC would've been perfect, but it was just more shrines and memoried. Interesting, very fun memories, but still nothing that effects the time of the game or Links journey.

still a 10/10 game though
Yeah I gotta agree 100%. The rest of the DLC was fantastic but the "story expansion" part was pretty underwhelming.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
  1. Magnus shouldn’t have been cut from Smas as an AT character
  2. Zelda not having a new rep is both right and wrong
  3. Kirby not getting another rep is alright
  4. Piranha Plant too op, never nerf
  5. Pit (and Dark Pit, but he isn’t important here right now) is still the most balanced and fair character in Smash
  6. Schoolgirl and Hipster Inklings are the best Inkling alts
  7. Mario doesn’t feel the same in this game for some reason
  8. Sakurai is not a Mad Man, only a psychopath

D

Deleted member

Yeah I gotta agree 100%. The rest of the DLC was fantastic but the "story expansion" part was pretty underwhelming.
Yeah the trial of the sword thing and the one-hit obliterator thing was sick (if you didn't cheese with with arrows)

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Just because you’re a FE fan doesn’t mean you should ignore people’s disdain about it.
Muchas McGracias. This was necessary.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Just because a series has a lot of characters doesn't mean it deserves a lot of reps. This includes FE, Mario, Pokemon, and so on. However, at the same time, let's not be facetious. It doesn't take a rocket scientist (sorry if this comes off as condescending) to realize why Mario & Pokemon characters take up so much room in the roster. FE is nothing compared to either of those franchises. Even in the mobile department, Super Mario Run & Pokemon Go both have over 100 million downloads. FEH? Only 5 million, and the last time I check FEH wasn't doing to hot. It doesn't help that they've recently been making a ton of bad decisions in-terms of game balance, and character representation. I mean, just look at the trailer for the Legendary Hero in FEH. 4.8K likes compared to 6.3K dislikes.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I agree that FE is disgustingly overrepresented but this is factually inaccurate. I see sources saying over 10 to 15 million as of February, unless it's inaccurate. Although that doesn't matter since it's a free download.
I was only looking at the google play store. I didn't think about checking Android, so that's an L on my part. However, I'm sure that if you checked the downloads for PG & SMR on other stores then the gap would be even larger.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I was only looking at the google play store. I didn't think about checking Android, so that's an L on my part. However, I'm sure that if you checked the downloads for PG & SMR on other stores then the gap would be even larger.
Yeah true. People bloat that the game has 100M downloads without a source so i find that hard to believe anyway.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I don't care about 'reps' that much and find it hilarious when people think a character should be cut just because its 'bloating roster size'.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't care about 'reps' that much and find it hilarious when people think a character should be cut just because its 'bloating roster size'.
You are a dying breed and we are so lucky to have you here

Yeah, agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom