• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yes, instead. He's a PlayStation character, so he should be in the PlayStation crossover. A lot of people make the argument that he represents Final Fantasy as a whole, but he really doesn't as every bit of FF content (what little there is) is from VII. I would feel the same way about Snake but he's had some significant appearances on Nintendo consoles.
Meh, every step we take towards Smash being the best Nintendo crossover AND Sony crossover makes the game even better. Give me Lara Croft, Crash Bandicoot, and Spyro for all I care. One step closer to an actual good crossover with those characters lol.

Time for another unpopular opinion that will likely not please many people. As far as reps that deserve to be in Smash, Bandanna Dee is just not one of them. While I certainly support his community of fans, think he could be an interesting character, and generally think that Kirby could use another character; I don't thin Kirby as a series needs another character. The trio of Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight alongside all of the stages and items and love Kirby already gets doesn't feel like too little content to me. It's a well represented franchise that just happens to have other potentially interesting characters. I know people will bring up the whole fourth character of the games mindset, but until Toad gets in as the other fourth rep I don't think that holds any particular weight. He's not a missing piece of the Kirby lineup, just another interesting character they could add to Smash. Nothing wrong with that (Though I'm convinced Adeleine and Marx are infinitely more interesting picks). And sure newer stuff and the Dark Matter trilogy could get some representation, but here we are with DK stuck on jungles for all of eternity, Metroid can barely get out of the lava stages, etc. Limited representation just kind of is part of Smash at this point.

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice
Adeleine would be fun. I think we could stand to have more cute and silly in general. I would, without hesitation, main Cooking Mama.

I’m so pumped for Piranha Plant. I think they’re cute in a goofy way. The running animation is so hilarious to me, it’s like a stupidly happy dog. I laughed so hard at the reveal. It was great.

I’d laugh too if I saw a Cooking Mama reveal. Also Tingle. What a silly goose.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
At this point I can't even tell what is an unpopular opinion anymore. Do people generally want more FE characters, or do they not? It's impossible to tell.

Anyway, I've recently realized something about myself that definitely qualifies as an "unpopular opinion", though I wasn't quite aware of it until recently. I don't like traditionally cool or traditionally cute characters. I like weird characters--those who are somewhere in between "badass" and "adorable", usually more on the goofy side, but sometimes with no real humorous elements to them at all. I like King K Rool, the Koopalings, Alph, Mega Man, Diddy Kong, Wario, King Dedede, Donkey Kong, Wolf, Ridley...those characters with generally strange, and therefore unique, designs. My most wanted characters are Rayman and Dixie Kong, predictably.

Characters designed primarily to be "badass" like FE, Cloud, Shulk, Ryu, Zero Suit Samus, Sheik, Ken, Snake...just don't do it for me! It's easy to make a character who acts cool, y'know? I guess there are some exceptions like Simon Belmont, but I like him mainly because of the AVGN and his Western-inspired design. The overly cute characters don't really tickle my fancy either--Kirby, Isabelle, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, I mean I like these characters but not for the reason I'm supposed to like them. If that makes sense. I like them for their peculiarities and not because "OMG ISABELLE IS ADORABLE!". That happy middle ground where Ivysaur, Olimar, and Larry Koopa lie...that's my sweetspot.

Anyway I'm not sure if I was able to communicate that well. I've always questioned why these characters that ALL OF MY FRIENDS love such as Ike and Snake just don't appeal to me, and now I think I get it. I just wish I knew why I'm like this, seeing as most character designs tend to hug one extreme, it's quite a burdensome preference to take sometimes!
I definitely feel the same way about 'badass' and 'cool' characters. Whenever a characters worth is summed up with the simple statement of "they look cool" I roll my eyes. It's a real young teenage boy attitude of "I don't wanna play with anything unless it looks cool and every character has to appeal to ME" that I can't ****ing stand.

The sheer outrage at Isabelle, easily a character who should have been seen as the closest thing to a lock outside Inklings, was such overblown silliness simply because she didn't fit this 'badass' or 'cool' aesthetic that every other newcomer (bar like Daisy) had achieved to that point. It was easily the most pathetic reaction I'd seen to a newcomer reveal in the last two Smash games.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I definitely feel the same way about 'badass' and 'cool' characters. Whenever a characters worth is summed up with the simple statement of "they look cool" I roll my eyes. It's a real young teenage boy attitude of "I don't wanna play with anything unless it looks cool and every character has to appeal to ME" that I can't ****ing stand.

The sheer outrage at Isabelle, easily a character who should have been seen as the closest thing to a lock outside Inklings, was such overblown silliness simply because she didn't fit this 'badass' or 'cool' aesthetic that every other newcomer (bar like Daisy) had achieved to that point. It was easily the most pathetic reaction I'd seen to a newcomer reveal in the last two Smash games.
I'm fine with either aesthetic, but have a huge problem with replacing Pichu with a more bad-ass Gen 2 Pokemon for a few reasons, such as me thinking some of them would not be an upgrade from self-damage by being slow and awkward. The only bad-ass Pokemon I like playing as is Mewtwo, and that's only after a patch overhauled it.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Not sure if it's unpopular, but I feel like 8-bit music has no place in Smash Bros outside of the 8-Bit stages, and even then I'd much rather prefer I Remix. I don't think there was a single instance in any smashbros game where I had an NES or Gameboy song not crank down to 0% on my music.

I could maybe take a 16-bit song If it was a real banger, like say the boss theme from Final Fantasy 4 ( ha Fat Chance ) but again, I would much rather just have a remix.

You know how Sakurai was kind of bummed out about that final tournament round he watched where the background music was the roost from Animal Crossing? I feel like 8 and 16 bit music is just as anti hype as those kinds of songs.

I want to be clear though, I love chiptunes. I think there's a time and place for them but that place isn't Smash Brothers. Chiptunes can work if they're punched up with modern technology, but not if they're ripped straight from the NES or SNES.

N64 music is on thin ice but there's some tracks that work well.

EDIT: the only NES rips I would give a pass to are the ones by Tim follin.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Not sure if it's unpopular, but I feel like 8-bit music has no place in Smash Bros outside of the 8-Bit stages, and even then I'd much rather prefer I Remix. I don't think there was a single instance in any smashbros game where I had an NES or Gameboy song not crank down to 0% on my music.

I could maybe take a 16-bit song If it was a real banger, like say the boss theme from Final Fantasy 4 ( ha Fat Chance ) but again, I would much rather just have a remix.

You know how Sakurai was kind of bummed out about that final tournament round he watched where the background music was the roost from Animal Crossing? I feel like 8 and 16 bit music is just as anti hype as those kinds of songs.

I want to be clear though, I love chiptunes. I think there's a time and place for them but that place isn't Smash Brothers. Chiptunes can work if they're punched up with modern technology, but not if they're ripped straight from the NES or SNES.

N64 music is on thin ice but there's some tracks that work well.

EDIT: the only NES rips I would give a pass to are the ones by Tim follin.
Y'know I never really thought about it but yeah, I totally agree. 8 bit and 16 bit music in Smash is kinda underwhelming.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don't want Banjo and Kazooie in Smash. I have zero attachment to the B&K series, and I can't follow any argument as to why they should be in. No, they are not Nintendo icons. They never were. They were always owned by Rare. King K. Rool was not owned by Rare, all character IP rights from pre-existing Nintendo IPs were kept with Nintendo. King K. Rool has always been a Nintendo character, not Rare. Yes, the original N64 game sold well. Guess what? Lots of games did. Banjo and Kazooie hold very little in comparison to many other charter requests and popular Nintendo series. Not to mention that the series hasn't seen a major title since 2008. The demographic that Nintendo is trying to market Smash to has no clue who Banjo and Kazooie are. Sorry, but in terms of character, they're irrelevant. Yes, The original title is considered an amazing N64 title. I'm not denying it. I'm saying they have never been major Nintendo characters and probably never will be. Sorry, I just no longer follow the argument that they deserve to be in Smash.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
They should implement the exact mechanics from Melee.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Animal Crossing shouldn't have playable reps. Their movesets are stupid.
Agreed. At some point the line is crossed. AC being completely a simulation game full of cute faces and happy times doesn't fit the intensity Smash is about. Both Villager and Isabelle feel like odd ones out, and their movesets are largely uninspired.

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice
I respectfully disagree. I think Smash has always been good at balancing serious and silly. This is why I’m all for the inclusion of Piranha Plant. I’ve never played Animal Crossing but I’m all for Isabelle too. I’d like a cast with more diverse fighting styles, attitudes, and weapons. Marin in Hyrule Warriors for instance wields a bell. Who do we have that attacks with a bell? Agitha attacks with butterflies and baskets. Lawl.

The juxtaposition of characters from more serious games and characters from more laid back games is what makes Smash fun more me.

More silly characters!
Shy Guy and Gengar for Smash!

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I respectfully disagree. I think Smash has always been good at balancing serious and silly. This is why I’m all for the inclusion of Piranha Plant. I’ve never played Animal Crossing but I’m all for Isabelle too. I’d like a cast with more diverse fighting styles, attitudes, and weapons. Marin in Hyrule Warriors for instance wields a bell. Who do we have that attacks with a bell? Agitha attacks with butterflies and baskets. Lawl.

The juxtaposition of characters from more serious games and characters from more laid back games is what makes Smash fun more me.

More silly characters!
Shy Guy and Gengar for Smash!
No one here is saying that juxtaposition of fighters is bad. If anything, it's wonderful. However, for Animal Crossing, it makes zero sense. The series has absolutely no "violent" (because that's the best word I can think of) interactions between characters whatsoever. At least you can stomp on enemies in Mario titles. Animal Crossing is all about happiness and joy and simulations and basic everyday issues. It doesn't make sense for this to translate into a fighting character at all. It goes against completely what AC is about, more than any other one of the IPs in Smash. And again, both Villager and Isabelle have pretty boring movesets that weren't though through too well.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No one here is saying that juxtaposition of fighters is bad. If anything, it's wonderful. However, for Animal Crossing, it makes zero sense. The series has absolutely no "violent" (because that's the best word I can think of) interactions between characters whatsoever. At least you can stomp on enemies in Mario titles. Animal Crossing is all about happiness and joy and simulations and basic everyday issues. It doesn't make sense for this to translate into a fighting character at all. It goes against completely what AC is about, more than any other one of the IPs in Smash. And again, both Villager and Isabelle have pretty boring movesets that weren't though through too well.
I think its important that the AC characters view Smash as a bit of a competition.

Hence the invitations.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I thought Style Savvy character sounded like a fun idea. It's the actual movesets that the AC characters have that I think are stupid. Growing a tree and chopping it down? Putting stuff in a pocket? If I played AC, I might believe there are sufficiently interesting things in the games to make into moves, but those don't qualify.

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice
I understand. Thanks for clarifying.

Hmm... I still think that non-violent game characters shouldn’t be disqualified from their inclusion in smash. Since I like the juxtaposition of pinning two extremely different characters against each other, in my mind, it would make even more sense to have non-violent characters included. Hence why I said earlier that I’d high key main Cooking Mama if she, for some weird, reason made the cut.

But going of what you said, do you think Wii Fit Trainer doesn’t belong either? There’s Rhythm Boxing in the game, but does that qualify as violence? I’m sincerely asking.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Persona has such little to do with Nintendo that I'm not really comfortable with Joker in Smash. I haven't played his game mind you, so I'm not exactly foaming out of my mouth like most people currently are.

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice
I thought Style Savvy character sounded like a fun idea. It's the actual movesets that the AC characters have that I think are stupid. Growing a tree and chopping it down? Putting stuff in a pocket? If I played AC, I might believe there are sufficiently interesting things in the games to make into moves, but those don't qualify.
I think it makes sense. Take Peach for instance. Her upsmash, upair, and parasol don’t even look like deliberate attacks. It seems more like the opponent is getting in the way of something she’s just doing. A hyper-feminine girly girl having some fun. Daisy’s inclusion amplifies this attitude. Even Zelda who’s been stone-faced since Melee to Smash 4 now smiles and laughs - a huge upgrade from one smirk in one victory pose. Sakurai seems to be embracing a more playful attitude in general. Although I can’t speak for Mario. We all saw his face in the Piranha Plant reveal.

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice
Persona has such little to do with Nintendo that I'm not really comfortable with Joker in Smash. I haven't played his game mind you, so I'm not exactly foaming out of my mouth like most people currently are.
Teddie > Joker. But really I just want Persona music.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
:ultcloud:

Just saying. Not the first time we've had someone with little relation to Nintendo.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
:ultcloud:

Just saying. Not the first time we've had someone with little relation to Nintendo.
You're kinda forgetting FF used to be associated with Nintendo before VII happened. Cloud was still chosen because he was the most popular.

The persona series on the other hand is mostly associated with Playstation. The only games it has on Nintendo at the moment are two 3ds spin off titles.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You're kinda forgetting FF used to be associated with Nintendo before VII happened. Cloud was still chosen because he was the most popular.

The persona series on the other hand is mostly associated with Playstation. The only games it has on Nintendo at the moment are two 3ds spin off titles.
Look at it this way. Master Chief probably isn't that "Out There" no more upon Joker's inclusion. Heck I actually won't be surprised if he's among the 5.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Unpopular opinion: 0/2 on Smash Ultimate DLC, 2/9 overall Smash DLC. Just my opinion, I'd be less salty if these were base game, but paying for them is rough.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
guess the 'unpopular' opinion that joker dlc kinda sucks aint that unpopular lol

but then aint gonna be a lot of dlc that sparks me up so big ol shrug from me

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, if anything an undesirable character as DLC is a better outcome. There were a couple of characters I never bought in Smash 4, and as a result I never had to see them.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Joker sucks. Persona has nothing to do with Nintendo. We now have four god**** third party newcomers in Ultimate. Did you think the sky was the limit with Cloud? Think again. As far as I'm concerned now, characters like Sans and Goku have legitimate chances now.

Nintendo, can you please just stick to first parties from now on?

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Mogisthelioma Mogisthelioma I feel the same way you do (though you might wanna check your math, we have a lot more than four of 'em!), however did you listen to Reggie's statements regarding the DLC shortly after Joker was revealed? They're all going to be third party. Sorry bruh.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
You don't have to buy them, though.
I hate this answer. DLC characters are a significant part of the game. I like to compete, I did some locals in Smash 4, and planned to hope back in it for Ultimate. You absolutely need all the characters.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
So, I just activated this game early this morning and have been playing it for a few hours. Most of it has been regular matches. I'll see how it holds up with a local crowd. I have a Pro Controller and 2 Joy-Con pairs, meaning my controllers alone can bring five players together. For now, let's review the single player content.

This criticism thread will only be for things not related to balance and possible character patch/inclusion demands. That's for everyone else to discuss elsewhere. I'm more concerned with features and mechanics.

My first problem with this game is the music. Or at least the way it's implemented. There are many extraneous songs added to the older stages (particularly the N64 ones) that don't fit the stages. When I select the Mario Bros. stage from SSBB, I'm only interested in hearing one song: the energetic, uplifting modernization of the title screen of the NES version. I'm not in the mood for orchestral guff from Super Mario Galaxy 2 with the AHH AHH AHH BWAA BWAA BWAA. The biggest offender is the Pilotwings stage, which has a lot of songs not even from the same franchise. The only two Pilotwings songs are two variations of the Light Plane song. No hanggliding song? No bonus song?

In order to remedy this, you need to select every stage you're interested in, listen to each song with a fine tooth comb, and tweak the meters either to max or empty. Let's say I like three songs from the Onett stage: Bein' Friends, Humoresque, and Snowman. I have to go down the list of dozens of songs and move them all to max or empty, just so I can guarantee hearing my favorite songs all the time whenever the stage is picked. At least it's over once I'm done, right? What if I play on a friend's Switch and it's not to my preferences? It makes the game less enjoyable.

Oh, and WHY IS THERE NO OPTION TO CHANGE THE MENU MUSIC?! I WANT TO CHANGE IT TO THE SSBB TROPHY ROOM SONG ALL THE TIME BECAUSE IT'S SO NICE AND RELAXING. I HATE THE MENU SONG IN THIS GAME.

Let's get to characters. You start with eight and have to unlock more. Sounds fun, right? Not if you have friends and would just like to have all the characters and stages from the get-go so you can have a variety of things to last you a while. If your friends say "Can we go back to (Insert previous Smash game here)" then that's how you know the game has failed. Chances are, serious players of previous Smash games have already unlocked everything in them. Having to start over is a major roadblock for reaching the full potential of get-togethers and parties.

Oh, and why do you select the stage first then the characters? That's different to how every previous Smash game does it. And why do I have to re-select and re-color my characters over and over again for every SINGLE match? Even Smash 64 could remember what my preferences were.

Not much to say on World of Light because I kinda lost interest. Most of the characters and stages are unlocked by playing that mode and I'm not interested. It isn't an adventure mode like in Melee or Brawl, just a bunch of event matches where you can utilize "spirits" to mitigate the unique gimmicks of each match entirely. Also comes with an EPIC final boss that's initially cool, but overstays its welcome.

Any problems you have not related to balances, bugs, or other things that should be patched, put them here.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Mogisthelioma Mogisthelioma I feel the same way you do (though you might wanna check your math, we have a lot more than four of 'em!), however did you listen to Reggie's statements regarding the DLC shortly after Joker was revealed? They're all going to be third party. Sorry bruh.
Whoops, I meant third party newcomers.

I hate this answer. DLC characters are a significant part of the game. I like to compete, I did some locals in Smash 4, and planned to hope back in it for Ultimate. You absolutely need all the characters.
Yeah. Third party fighters feel like a waste of space in Smash.

I think that third party fighters are awful and are a waste of space. That's my criticism.
Other than that, too many Fire Emblem fighters, and not enough fighters from other series. The fighter balance is completely estranged from actual popularity, demand, and how good a character would be as a fighter.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
THIS JUST IN! Joker is going to be a DLC character. No- not the Batman Joker. The Joker from Persona 5. You know, a game that's exclusive to Sony consoles and is very firmly M-rated.

What were they thinking?

After Snake and Cloud, Nintendo's giving Sony more free advertising. And just like Snake and Bayonetta, no consideration for the implications of putting these characters in an all-ages game. Even characters from Call of Duty or Fortnite would make more sense because at least kids play those.

Sakurai wants Goku in the game. I feel like the long-game end goal is to put Kirito in the game. You think I'm joking? By the looks of it, it seems like that's where the Smash character roster is headed.

Terradrius

Smash Apprentice
This criticism thread will only be for things not related to balance and possible character patch/inclusion demands. That's for everyone else to discuss elsewhere. I'm more concerned with features and mechanics.
THIS JUST IN! Joker is going to be a DLC character. No- not the Batman Joker. The Joker from Persona 5. You know, a game that's exclusive to Sony consoles and is very firmly M-rated.

What were they thinking?
That was quick.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Yeah. Third party fighters feel like a waste of space in Smash.
Really? Most of them are icons with rich Nintendo history to the point you'd be drawing an unneeded line between them getting into the game.
All the third parties we got are heavy hitters too. Characters and series from big titles that are timeless.

I'd like to see you expand on this. Sounds like you don't really play games outside of Nintendo developed titles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom