• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Another unpopular opinion coming

I prefer it if Dark Bowser got in as Bowser's Echo-Fighter instead of Dry Bowser, but Dry Bowser would be better as an alternate costume.

Felancius

Smash Cadet
Here's a very unpopular one: I strongly believe DLC characters have a high chance to ruin the game like they did Smash 4.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
As long as they make them interesting and not braindead trash before patches, then they should be fine.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Here's a very unpopular one: I strongly believe DLC characters have a high chance to ruin the game like they did Smash 4.
Piranha Plant hasn't been bad, and Joker looks hype.....gotta hope that the next 4 aren't anything lame (or OP).

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I got a spicy one:

-The “70 characters” excuse is often used whenever somebody complains about the roster or a character that didn’t make it but I think the mere fact that roster is even that big in the first place because of how many echoes/clones/joke characters there are.

It’s why I always liked Brawl’s roster because it focused on quality over quantity with the removal of full clones that Smash 4 brought back.

It’s not about how many characters there are, it’s about who the characters are.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I do have to agree with this, sort of. I do like Toon Link, but I feel he is too close to the other Links in Smash. I always thought it'd be cool to implement the stuff he used or did in WW. Like crawling to sneak similar to what Diddy does, but in the animation done in WW. Or using the leaf for recovery and his grapple hook instead of the hookshot which he didn't have in game. Things like this could had made him and many other echos much more unique.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I got a spicy one:

-The “70 characters” excuse is often used whenever somebody complains about the roster or a character that didn’t make it but I think the mere fact that roster is even that big in the first place because of how many echoes/clones/ there are.

It’s why I always liked Brawl’s roster because it focused on quality over quantity with the removal of full clones that Smash 4 brought back.

It’s not about how many characters there are, it’s about who the characters are.
Seriously, it's such a conversation ender.

"How could you POSSIBLY complain when we have SO MANY characters????"
is such a catch-all that entirely misses the point.

I really liked the mentality they went with Brawl where the clones were more varied from their originals and the limitations forced the developers to seriously consider who to add and bring back.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I may not have Smash Ultimate yet, but part of me feels like the game's reputation is somewhat overrated. Sure, every fighter in the Super Smash Bros. series is back, but you lose nearly every Stadium game mode, there's no Smash Run for taking advantage of the Switch's portability, and the majority of Final Smashes merely copy Triforce Slash or Blue Falcon now; this also means that three of the four transformation Final Smashes lost their fully playable status, while one gets relegated to being a boss that you can't play as without hacking the game.

Sure, Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U have their own set of flaws, but they're nowhere near as bad as what Brawl ended up with.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Seriously, it's such a conversation ender.

"How could you POSSIBLY complain when we have SO MANY characters????"
is such a catch-all that entirely misses the point.

I really liked the mentality they went with Brawl where the clones were more varied from their originals and the limitations forced the developers to seriously consider who to add and bring back.
Didn't Brawl add cheesecake Samus as her own character and cut Mewtwo?

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
If Brawl was able to add Mewtwo, I don’t think anyone would’ve complained about the roster except maybe for a couple of butthurt Roy fans and people who were salty about Ridley/Mega Man/Krystal etc.

As for the ZSS thing, while it was dumb to include a variation of Samus before Ridley, atleast they acknowledged it was still the same character so they made it into a transformation instead of being separate which made much more sense.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
People are overrating the importance of Stage Builder and stadium modes on game's overall quality just because they are gone now.

They were in Smash for Wii U and it didn't made that game's single player mode any good.

I may not have Smash Ultimate yet, but part of me feels like the game's reputation is somewhat overrated. Sure, every fighter in the Super Smash Bros. series is back, but you lose nearly every Stadium game mode, there's no Smash Run for taking advantage of the Switch's portability, and the majority of Final Smashes merely copy Triforce Slash or Blue Falcon now; this also means that three of the four transformation Final Smashes lost their fully playable status, while one gets relegated to being a boss that you can't play as without hacking the game.

Sure, Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U have their own set of flaws, but they're nowhere near as bad as what Brawl ended up with.
You're saying Brawl is bad but it had transformation Final Smashes and stadium modes, apperently two of your biggest complaints about Ultimate.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Didn't Brawl add cheesecake Samus as her own character and cut Mewtwo?
ZSS existed similarly to Sheik, it wasn't until Smash 4 did they get their full slots.

Mewtwo, Roy, and some others (The "Forbidden Seven") have fighter data in Brawl but weren't used for whatever reason.

People are overrating the importance of Stage Builder and stadium modes on game's overall quality just because they are gone now.

They were in Smash for Wii U and it didn't made that game's single player mode any good.

You're saying Brawl is bad but it had transformation Final Smashes and stadium modes, apperently two of your biggest complaints about Ultimate.
He might have meant to put "Ultimate" instead of "Brawl," considering Brawl wasn't mentioned anywhere else in the post.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
He might have meant to put "Ultimate" instead of "Brawl," considering Brawl wasn't mentioned anywhere else in the post.
It was an oversight that I forgot to adjust. But yeah, Smash 3DS / Wii U fixed up Brawl's issues, and kept the game modes that Ultimate threw in the trash; Ultimate doesn't even have a legit All-Star mode (turning it into a Multi-Man Smash game mode is just wrong).

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It was an oversight that I forgot to adjust. But yeah, Smash 3DS / Wii U fixed up Brawl's issues, and kept the game modes that Ultimate threw in the trash; Ultimate doesn't even have a legit All-Star mode (turning it into a Multi-Man Smash game mode is just wrong).
All-Star Mode was an absolute slog in 4, and it would have been even worse now with 70+ characters.

To relate to this topic, I honestly never found Smash's Stage Builder to be any good, and Brawl was the last game with a good All-Star Mode. All-Star just becomes a burden once the roster goes over like, forty characters.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

That's because the Stage Builder and Stadium modes from Wii U were trash. Remember Target Blast? Yeah. Compare to Brawl's Stage Builder and Target Smash; sure, they weren't perfect, but they were at least decent timesinks compared to what Smash 4 gave us (seriously, Wii U Stage Builder didn't even let you draw a straight line). Their absence doesn't necessarily break the game, but at the same time, I think adding them back (and HRC, while I'm at it) would be a worthwhile endeavor.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
All-Star Mode was an absolute slog in 4, and it would have been even worse now with 70+ characters.
It can depend on how it's handled. But considering the repetitive nature that game mode has turned into, fighting every fighter in a set order can easily become dull if there's no randomness like in Melee's All-Star mode. And of course, the opponents would have to take greater damage and knockback to speed up playthroughs.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
That's because the Stage Builder and Stadium modes from Wii U were trash. Remember Target Blast? Yeah. Compare to Brawl's Stage Builder and Target Smash; sure, they weren't perfect, but they were at least decent timesinks compared to what Smash 4 gave us (seriously, Wii U Stage Builder didn't even let you draw a straight line). Their absence doesn't necessarily break the game, but at the same time, I think adding them back (and HRC, while I'm at it) would be a worthwhile endeavor.
Actually, you could draw straight lines in Smash 4’s Stage Builder, by tapping in two separate spots rather than dragging the stylus, and enabling the grid would help. The fact that I have to tell you this, though, and the fact that it didn’t even have simple but convenient tools like a basic line tool and a basic rectangle tool, is the real problem. Even with the grid and making lines by tapping, to make a rectangle, I had to very carefully visually line up the grid and tap the screen very precisely lest the rectangle be skewed. While it did allow for some very cool things to be made, it required much too much patience to make decent looking stages, while Brawl’s made it super simple for anyone to make a decent looking stage. (I think it would be cool if a future Stage Builder was a hybrid of the two, with easy to use blocks but also supporting vector terrain for those who want to use it.)

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I feel like a lot of unpopular opinions about the game's design boil down to the fact that it's pretty much less than half finished. They liquidated so many assets from Smash 4 to release this in time that some areas of the game ended up feeling bland or incomplete.

(I think it would be cool if a future Stage Builder was a hybrid of the two, with easy to use blocks but also supporting vector terrain for those who want to use it.)
Yeah, that's exactly what I'd want. A stage Builder Deluxe with everything from Brawl and Smash 4's respective builders.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
If Pokemon got a new rep in DLC fighters pass, I would rather see someone that isn't from Gen 1 nor Gen 7.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
In terms of completing Pokemon representation, it should be less Fire Emblem axe user and more Bandana Waddle Dee-that is, big faces rather than adding a grass starter just to have one.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
This one concern the community. I DESPISE when someone who's watching the Direct find all announcement boring if it isn't Smash. DUDE, Smash isn't the only thing that exist. I mean, when I watch Alpharad reacting to the Nintendo Direct where Isabelle was revealed, I couldn't support him. Man, calm your Smash fanboyism. If you didn't the announcement interesting, then okay. But don't be like "Meh it's not Smash, worst Direct".

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
In terms of completing Pokemon representation, it should be less Fire Emblem axe user and more Bandana Waddle Dee-that is, big faces rather than adding a grass starter just to have one.
But grass starters are big faces.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, I've always had the impression that a lot of people who play Smash don't really care for most of Nintendo's franchises, and only care about Smash. Not sure if that's really unpopular, or not, but it's always been the impression I got from things like the Nintendo Direct live chats, comments on YouTube, and even people on this website saying they weren't even considering getting a Switch until Smash Ultimate was announced.

Also, I'm not sure if this is unpopular, but I've always felt like a lot of the sword fighters in Smash receive hate due to how uninspired they tend to be. In-terms of visuals, most of the sword fighters in this game are just normal looking humans with crazy hair. The same could be said for a lot of other none sword using characters, but I think that they benefit from being more visually diverse. Also, lot of their moves also tend to be very similar/generic, which isn't helped by the fact that several sword fighters in the game use Marth as their template. Almost all of them also have counters, but I don't think that's a sword-fighter problem only. Ultimate's roster is so inflated that a lot of characters in the game have similar moves, and counters are one of the primary ones.

As much as I don't like Corrin, I think that she's probably the most interesting sword user (Robin to). He doesn't just use his sword, but also his dragon abilities. On top of that, his sword is chainsaw which the game utilizes on his f-smash. When you combine all of those elements I think that it really makes him standout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom