• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also, in Smash 4, he was going to be a separate fighter with Rock Pikmin, but was cut due to the 3DS and time constraints. I don't see why they just threw this out when developing Ultimate.
Wait, how do you know why the idea was scrapped?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I meant as an original fighter. i should have clarified.
For the last time, guys, you can't cut an echo fighter and expect to get an original character in exchange for it. That's not how game development works.

Last edited:

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon can never be over-represented. Like Mario it has so many characters and abilities to use, plus both are media behemoths and Nintendo's two flagship IPs.
Wish more people would understand this simple statement. It's essentially complaining Smash Bros has too many top-shelf Nintendo characters. Counting up bare numbers and complaining about numbers in relation to other series is so useless. It's the same line of thinking that leads to:

Zelda/Metroid/Kirby/insertyourfranchisehere needs more "reps"!!
Mario/Pokemon has "too many"!
We have "too many" 3rd parties!!

No, no and no. People seriously, seriously need to stop thinking in this shallow numbers sense. We don't need "reps" for the sake of reps. We need important, logical, necessary, dignified characters from [Nintendo] video games. What if a series already has all of its important iconic characters included already? What if it's only 1-3 characters? Should we arbitrarily add some more because it has less numbers in comparison to other series? "Well I know we have the core of the franchise included already...but let's just add more cuz we need "reps." Sometimes a series has no characters left notable enough to add into Smash. F-Zero doesn't need "reps", it's F-Zero. Anything we add from F-Zero is pure bonus and not necessary. Same goes for Mother/Earthbound/Yoshi/etc. Zelda doesn't "need" reps because there is nobody of note left to add. Due to the nature of the series, many popular characters are just one-offs for one specific game. Ghirahim, Skull Kid, Zant/Midna, Wolf Link, BOTW Champions really don't have warrant. Just because Mario has more than Zelda, it absolutely DOES NOT FOLLOW that Zelda needs "more" to compensate. No, it needs important necessary characters that warrant inclusion. Star Fox NEEDS Fox, Falco, and Wolf. That's it, and hopefully I don't have to explain why. We don't need Slippy or Peppy or w/e. Same goes for Metroid ESPECIALLY now that Ridley is added. Metroid just so happens to be a series where there aren't a lot of important characters warranting inclusion. The core of Metroid is already included in Smash. Why do people do pointless number comparisons rather than thinking of like...actual characters who's nature and status warrant inclusion like King K. Rool?

rantover

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Wish more people would understand this simple statement. It's essentially complaining Smash Bros has too many top-shelf Nintendo characters. Counting up bare numbers and complaining about numbers in relation to other series is so useless. It's the same line of thinking that leads to:

No, no and no. People seriously, seriously need to stop thinking in this shallow numbers sense. We don't need "reps" for the sake of reps. We need important, logical, necessary, dignified characters from [Nintendo] video games. What if a series already has all of its important iconic characters included already? What if it's only 1-3 characters? Should we arbitrarily add some more because it has less numbers in comparison to other series? "Well I know we have the core of the franchise included already...but let's just add more cuz we need "reps." Sometimes a series has no characters left notable enough to add into Smash. F-Zero doesn't need "reps", it's F-Zero. Anything we add from F-Zero is pure bonus and not necessary. Same goes for Mother/Earthbound/Yoshi/etc. Zelda doesn't "need" reps because there is nobody of note left to add. Due to the nature of the series, many popular characters are just one-offs for one specific game. Ghirahim, Skull Kid, Zant/Midna, Wolf Link, BOTW Champions really don't have warrant. Just because Mario has more than Zelda, it absolutely DOES NOT FOLLOW that Zelda needs "more" to compensate. No, it needs important necessary characters that warrant inclusion. Star Fox NEEDS Fox, Falco, and Wolf. That's it, and hopefully I don't have to explain why. We don't need Slippy or Peppy or w/e. Same goes for Metroid ESPECIALLY now that Ridley is added. Metroid just so happens to be a series where there aren't a lot of important characters warranting inclusion. The core of Metroid is already included in Smash. Why do people do pointless number comparisons rather than thinking of like...actual characters who's nature and status warrant inclusion like King K. Rool?

rantover
imagine thinking the complete chad known as tingle isn't important

osby

Smash Obsessed

rantover
I want to frame this and hang it over character speculation threads.

R O F L

Smash Ace
Wait, how do you know why the idea was scrapped?
Sourcegaming made an article in 2015 about Olimar/Alph in Smash 4.

I guess I misread it, they were scrapped presumably due to time constraints. But yes, the idea was considered. Rock Pikmin were going to be heavy, short-ranged, and extremely powerful.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sourcegaming made an article in 2015 about Olimar/Alph in Smash 4.

I guess I misread it, they were scrapped presumably due to time constraints. But yes, the idea was considered. Rock Pikmin were going to be heavy, short-ranged, and extremely powerful.
If time constraints were an issue, Ultimate also didn't have all the development time in the world.

R O F L

Smash Ace
If time constraints were an issue, Ultimate also didn't have all the development time in the world.
I'm saying, or was at least trying to say, that they should have prioritized him more over other things like Assist Trophies because he would take little work and it would make him feel a million times better. I'm not saying that they should've used to changes he was going to have in Smash 4, he could've been an echo with just pure aesthetic differences and it would've worked perfectly. He shouldn't be in the game if he doesn't feel like Alph from Pikmin 3.

Just give his a smaller hurtbox so it actually fits with his model, give him a freaking voice, change the Hoctotate Ship in Olimar's Final Smash to the S.S. Drake, and change his whistle to be the one from Pikmin 3 and not the whistle on Pikmin and Pikmin 2.
That's all they need to do, he would become just as much as an echo as Daisy and Richter, and with little work.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
That a Monster Hunter belongs in a Smash roster, probably.

In actuality I have no idea to how popular, unpopular or non-existent even an idea or opinion that is, I just know I haven't myself seen it mentioned pretty much anywhere else. Though I am only one rock and therefore have a limited scope of vision, so take that with a grain of salt in terms of it actually being unpopular. For all I know it's all the hype with the kids these days.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

In actuality I have no idea to how popular, unpopular or non-existent even an idea or opinion that is, I just know I haven't myself seen it mentioned pretty much anywhere else. Though I am only one rock and therefore have a limited scope of vision, so take that with a grain of salt in terms of it actually being unpopular. For all I know it's all the hype with the kids these days.
Director dislikes hunters being used to represent Monster Hunter.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Director dislikes hunters being used to represent Monster Hunter.
I'm equally okay with a Palico Hunter (Prowler) from MHG / X / GU / XX or a Meowster Hunter or something. That could work very well, and people love those cats. As do I.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I'm equally okay with a Palico Hunter from MHGU. A Prowler could work very well for Smash and doesn't have the same sort of problems that one might have with regular human Monster Hunters.
Sakurai dislikes using mascots over protags.

Rathalos AT and boss is the best way to go about it.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Sakurai dislikes using mascots over protags.

Rathalos AT and boss is the best way to go about it.
They're straight up playable and customizable with a variety of builds.

That's not a mascot situation. Also tell that to a good amount of the roster who made it in despite these things.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

I played Smash with my brother last December, and went through Classic Mode several times with him. I was stunned when he recognized Rathalos at the end of Marth's route.

Klimax

Smash Ace
World of Light sucks balls.
Spirits are lame as hell (the fact that you don't even have text about them anymore makes it even worse).

And that's it.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I honestly feel like there’s an heir of entitlement with people wanting or not wanting characters to be in the game. We have over 70 characters and it’s an amazing game with no glaring roster holes and characters like Daisy that were added as pure fan service. Please stop whining about your niche character that 90% of the people playing Smash don’t even know not getting into the game. You’re just hampering your own enjoyment of the game by setting expectations that any one character will get in especially super niche picks like Geno or Issac

Be happy with the game and roster Sakurai and his team poured their hearts into. I’ve never seen another game with this much entitlement around roster selection and it’s really offputting

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Also, in Smash 4, he was going to be a separate fighter with Rock Pikmin, but was cut due to the 3DS and time constraints. I don't see why they just threw this out when developing Ultimate.
Not exactly.

Alph was considered as an Echo Fighter.

Rock Pikmin were considered to be one of the new Pikmin added to the overall ones used in general.

They weren't specifically correlated. Or in other words, they were not planned intentionally together like you say it is. That said, that'd be a good way to make Alph feel actually distinct. Rock Pikmin probably took too long, and Alph doesn't do anything especially unique from Olimar, so an alt still fits as is. The lack of different taunts is jarring, though, but his gameplay is pretty much the same outside of the Pikmin themselves. Pikmin & Olimar(the official character, to clarify) were pretty much just updated to Ultimate with no severe differences. It seemed more like they just re-used the data like with many who also didn't get major changes. Maybe Pikmin 4 not coming out any time soon made splitting Alph a lower priority. Maybe he didn't get a ton of votes compared to some others. Maybe it's both that and lower priority among the options. Hard to say. I don't think it was "thrown out", though, as they were different ideas.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
For third parties? Cloud and Joker prove otherwise
But Sonic is the other side to that coin. I think it’s really just whoever Sakurai wants in the game and we’re reading into trends too much because there aren’t many

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
But Sonic is the other side to that coin. I think it’s really just whoever Sakurai wants in the game and we’re reading into trends too much because there aren’t many
Sonic is a protagonist. Characters like Chocobo, Moogle, Jack Frost, Slime and Palico aren't

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I wish the whole attacks that cause tripping were gone. Why is it that get up attacks from trip attacks don't have I-frames like normal get up attacks?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Subspace's only saving grace were the cutscenes and the great maze (which people hated and I don't know why).

World of Light has consistently better gameplay by a country mile.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Subspace's only saving grace were the cutscenes and the great maze (which people hated and I don't know why).

World of Light has consistently better gameplay by a country mile.
Because they had to replay the awful platforming segments for two more hours.

Subspace has a lot of revionism. It was critically panned by nearly everyone when Brawl released for being repetitive and uninspired in terms of level design. The cutscenes are neat, I admit, but that's just ignoring the fat around it.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Because they had to replay the awful platforming segments for two more hours.
I think I just love Metroidvanias that much.

I'll agree though, the platforming was pretty bad.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sonic is a protagonist. Characters like Chocobo, Moogle, Jack Frost, Slime and Palico aren't
Slime is a protagonist too, of the Rocket Slime game. So that's not as true as you think.

BTW, Sonic is a mascot for Sega. You can both be both a mascot and a protagonist. Can also apply to MegaMan and Ryu(for Capcom), Mario(for both Super Mario Bros. and Nintendo as a whole), and I could go on. They are not mutually exclusive. What Cloud had was the extreme advantage in popularity and iconicness. Him being a protagonist wasn't the most important part, he was just that well known.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Sorry, I messed up the quotes! Gotta fix that.

Edit: done.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I honestly feel like there’s an heir of entitlement with people wanting or not wanting characters to be in the game. We have over 70 characters and it’s an amazing game with no glaring roster holes and characters like Daisy that were added as pure fan service. Please stop whining about your niche character that 90% of the people playing Smash don’t even know not getting into the game. You’re just hampering your own enjoyment of the game by setting expectations that any one character will get in especially super niche picks like Geno or Issac

Be happy with the game and roster Sakurai and his team poured their hearts into. I’ve never seen another game with this much entitlement around roster selection and it’s really offputting
You could have just said Geno or Isaac but OK.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
As someone who enjoyed both SSE and WoL for different reasons, I fail to see how SSE's gameplay is "repetitive", but WoL's isn't. Hell, in SSE, just having a different band of characters to choose from for each level was enough variety for me to enjoy the game consistently without it feeling same-y at any point. WoL, by comparison, was much of the same "fight the CPU(s) with a lame condition" repeated for over 20 hours save for the boss fights, which were actually pretty cool, albeit far between. It wasn't a bad timesink, but the latter definitely seems more repetitive than the former, if anything.
Also, the "muh entitlement stop wanting things" sect of the fanbase is miles worse than any support group on the face of the Earth.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
This may sound a bit odd if you know me, but I feel like Assist Trophies don't get the amount of appreciation they should. Take a look at Zero for instance:

-His stance is from X6 (albeit with Z-Saber drawn)
-He has his slash combo from X4/X5
-His dash leaves afterimages like the PS1 X games
-Attacks with Kuuenzan & Ryuenjin from X4 as well as Genmu Zero from X5
-Ending animation is based on his exit in the PS1 and MVC games

Lots of detail is put into the ATs and I feel most people don't recognize that. They may not be playable but the attention and effort is still there.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
-Atleast the Grinch leak being fake had one good outcome, always call BS on leaks no matter how promising they look/sound.

-Who cares if your character is “niche”?
Who cares if kids and causal audiences today won’t recognize them and didn’t grow up with their games?
Having a few lesser known characters in the roster isn’t gonna infect the several amount of actual iconic and widely known characters present that people do recognize.

Don’t forget, most people today wouldn’t know who the hell :ultness::ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers: are if not for Smash.

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Don't really see how people can complain about niches characters when Joker is being added as DLC. Even on his YouTube announcement trailer, I saw comments where people thought it was the Joker from Batman.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Don't really see how people can complain about niches characters when Joker is being added as DLC. Even on his YouTube announcement trailer, I saw comments where people thought it was the Joker from Batman.
Pretty sure most of those people were joking.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I don't see how people can complain about niche characters when we had a literal Piranha Plant dropped on us not even a week ago. Sure, Piranha Plants have appeared in a lot of games, but in terms of overall importance, you don't get much more niche than that.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't see how people can complain about niche characters when we had a literal Piranha Plant dropped on us not even a week ago. Sure, Piranha Plants have appeared in a lot of games, but in terms of overall importance, you don't get much more niche than that.
Plant is definitely not niche.
Niche doesn't mean more or less important, it means it's known to and appeals to a small population. Everyone is at least aware of what a piranha plant is.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I agree with all of the people saying Alph should have been an echo fighter. That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom