• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
-I like the Tunic of the Wild. The shorts are dumb, I’ll give you that, but I think it’s overall a cool rendition of his classic tunic.

-I’m happy Windy Hill Zone is back. I’m not a huge Sonic fan so the games of origin have no bearing on me, but the stage layout of WHZ is so much more fun to play on than GHZ.

-People need to stop attacking other people for the characters they support. Even if it’s someone like Goku, there’s no reason to lash out at a fan because of wanting to see a character they like in the video game they like.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wasn't one of the reasons Cloud or Sephiroth didn't make it into PS All Star because of how much money SE asked the dev team in exchange for them?
No, it was more they wanted to push Lightning too. It was both or nothing kind of deal. The money bit actually was still relevant too, but this factor played an even bigger role. It's why there were two characters as well ala Mario and Dr. Mario. I forget who it was, but they had a dark counterpart.

osby

Smash Obsessed
No, it was more they wanted to push Lightning too. It was both or nothing kind of deal. The money bit actually was still relevant too, but this factor played an even bigger role. It's why there were two characters as well ala Mario and Dr. Mario. I forget who it was, but they had a dark counterpart.
Cole and Evil Cole. Their creators originally wanted them to be in one moveset, but when that part couldn't be programmed, they were made into two fighters to keep the aspect of the character intact.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
May I please reiterate, or should you read the first post? I don't give a rat's *** what you think about FE. I don't care if a characters is visually aesthetic. Welcome to the unpopular opinions thread. If you came here to police other peoples' opinions to try to make them agree with them, get out.
There's unpopular opinions and there's being downright irrational; but whatever. I'll just remark that between the base game and DLC, FE easily has another Echo and/or unique newcomer coming; of course, there's also the very real possibility of the next Smash game being a reboot with a far smaller roster. Actually...

>I'd be down for a series reboot with a smaller roster after Ultimate; go back to the basics a bit and put a different spin on things. 20-30 characters, different game modes-- Ultimate, after DLC and Echoes, could very easily push/break 100 characters; that's going to be hell for balancing and honestly be kinda overwhelming.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I guess there’s a few more I can admit:

-Geno is not on Ridley and K.Rool’s level, nowhere near.
The latter two have frequently been requested since Melee and the random Geno hype only begun during Brawl speculation, his hype died down a bit for SSB4 while K.Rool and Ridley’s have still been very vocal, and it wasn’t til Ultimate that Geno’s demand skyrocketed again. There’s no “Holy Trinity”.

-I think people are seriously underestimating Banjo’s chances.
He’s far from guaranteed don’t get me wrong but people are forgetting that Banjo & Kazooie ranked #3 Global-wide on the Ballot just behind Issac and K.Rool while the head of Xbox itself already greenlit the idea of their inclusion, it all depends if Sakurai wants them in or not, he never brought them up since Melee but that doesn’t mean jack-squat.

They’re the most requested 3rd Parties for Ultimate just as Sonic was for Brawl and Mega Man for SSB4, they have a genuine shot this time.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
-Geno is not on Ridley and K.Rool’s level, nowhere near.
The latter two have frequently been requested since Melee and the random Geno hype only begun during Brawl speculation, his hype died down a bit for SSB4 while K.Rool and Ridley’s have still been very vocal, and it wasn’t til Ultimate that Geno’s demand skyrocketed again. There’s no “Holy Trinity”.
What about Isaac then? I recall he's been frequently requested. Guess he could fill in Geno's spot as the Holy Trinity.

Also agree about Banjo-Kazooie. Although I don't think they'll make it as Base. DLC is surely an guarantee.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
What about Isaac then? I recall he's been frequently requested. Guess he could fill in Geno's spot as the Holy Trinity.

Also agree about Banjo-Kazooie. Although I don't think they'll make it as Base. DLC is surely an guarantee.
Issac is definitely close on the other hand....

But he ain’t an evil scaly so he don’t count.:troll:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I've personally never bought into the Geno hype and I always continue to wonder why he's so requested considering how niche he is in even his own game. While I won't complain if he somehow gets in, I can't help but admit that as a Square Enix fan, I'd feel a tad disappointed if all we got in Ultimate was virtually the same content from SSB4, but with Geno as a character instead of a Mii costume.

I'd rather have Terra as a second Final Fantasy character, or Slime to represent Dragon Quest, or even Crono from Chrono Trigger, all of them from acclaimed and iconic titles in their own rights. Heck, I'd even rather have Zack as a Cloud Echo.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Speaking of Terra. I'm always hearing her but never about Tifa. I'm honestly surprised since after Cloud. She's probably the second face of Final Fantasy and female representation.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Speaking of Terra. I'm always hearing her but never about Tifa. I'm honestly surprised since after Cloud. She's probably the second face of Final Fantasy and female representation.
I've seen a few people request her, but really it's mostly because people don't really want another FFVII character unless it's an easy Echo like Zack. Generally speaking, most people want a non-FF character from Square Enix, and even fewer people are interested in seeing a second character from FFVII considering how much of a joke Cloud requests were considered prior to his confirmation.

I wouldn't mind seeing her though, but there are other options I'd rather see.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I've seen a few people request her, but really it's mostly because people don't really want another FFVII character unless it's an easy Echo like Zack. Generally speaking, most people want a non-FF character from Square Enix, and even fewer people are interested in seeing a second character from FFVII considering how much of a joke Cloud requests were considered prior to his confirmation.
Ah guess I've never been to those parts where they requested her. Then again not surprised because I just recently gotten back into the Nintendo Phase.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I kid about PS All Stars a lot because it followed Smash's lead and didn't manage to keep up, to the point that Smash even got to include characters heavily associated with Sony like Cloud, Snake, Ryu, Megaman and Simon Belmont. But the devs genuinely tried to make a good game, it was just Sony themselves didn't even have that much faith in the project and also did not provide them with a proper budget.
Anyways, it's still tough to compete with the star power that Nintendo characters have. It goes to show how much prestige Smash has garnered over the years with the other publishers in the game industry to the point that everyone and their mother want their character in it, and I guess it helps as well that Sakurai has the charisma and connections to win them over.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Welp, I have a pretty controversial one. *ahem*
I am completely fine with removing all Fire Emblem characters except for Marth/Ike.

*Quickly grabs Flame Shield*

Last edited by a moderator:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
There's unpopular opinions and there's being downright irrational; but whatever. I'll just remark that between the base game and DLC, FE easily has another Echo and/or unique newcomer coming; of course, there's also the very real possibility of the next Smash game being a reboot with a far smaller roster. Actually...

>I'd be down for a series reboot with a smaller roster after Ultimate; go back to the basics a bit and put a different spin on things. 20-30 characters, different game modes-- Ultimate, after DLC and Echoes, could very easily push/break 100 characters; that's going to be hell for balancing and honestly be kinda overwhelming.
Yeah Ultimate's roster is huge. Sakurai did say the next game would have a smaller roster, which means they're going to have to make a ton of cuts if there will be any newcomers. Who those cuts will be, that's a discussion after the full roster is revealed.

31fps

Banned via Warnings

Why do you keep judging people based on their opinion? This thread was specifically stated to be about opinions. If you can''t handle the fact that someone doesn't share your opinion, you don't belong here. This is the thread where people who have opinions that they think are unpopular cane come to so they can finally let it out without being criticized, and you're ruining it for everyone.

No one wants you here. If you have a problem with someone else's opinion, I recommend making a thread about it but without explicitly mentioning their username.

And besides, If you're still trying to promote the FE argument even though the conversation about FE ended a while ago, an you're still trying to make FE look like the victim here and sound totally unbiased, I also recommend that you change your profile picture. Y'know.....

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
A long time ago I made a thread suggesting that they revise echo fighters to a more loose definition to include characters with both similar movesets AND design, and you could have more than two fighters included in a single slot (multiple echoes basically). This would be a great idea for FE to finally get rid of the Roy semiclone arguments. Make him and Lucina "Echoes" of Marth, and move Chrom to Ike (Since his most notable move is having Ikes up+B).

Last edited:

startmirca

Smash Rookie
  1. I think Noctis should be the 2nd FF rep if there was one.
  2. Terra isn't really a great choice for a 2nd FF rep, if characters from the I-VI era were included, Cecil and Bartz would be better choices
  3. Lucario should be top priority over other Pokemon characters asides from Pikachu
  4. Roy should be top priority alonside Marth and Ike
  5. Unexpected character choices are more hype than obvious expected choices like Rex and Spring Man
  6. Since Metal Gear Solid's Raiden isn't likely to be playable , his Revengeance version should have replaced Gray Fox as the Metal Gear assist trophy
  7. -Alph should've been elevated to an Echo fighter for Olimar
Those are my unpopular opinions for now

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Well here’s a recent unpopular opinion of mine. Majora would make a more interesting character than Skull Kid.

Edit: no idea why most of my unpopular opinions center around skull kid...

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I’ll start off by saying K. Rool is the only newcomer that got me hyped, not interested in squidbillies or tiny dragons, macho whip bros are ok tho

After this pitiful reveal of Isabelle after being so excited for a good reveal only to get this...im glad Sakurai got a little harassed on twitter over waluigi stuff.

Seriously killed alot of hype for me, i’ll need something like isaac, skull kid or banjo to get me excited. Geno would only make things worse tbh

Now those are some unpopular opinions right thurr

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Why do you keep judging people based on their opinion? This thread was specifically stated to be about opinions. If you can''t handle the fact that someone doesn't share your opinion, you don't belong here. This is the thread where people who have opinions that they think are unpopular cane come to so they can finally let it out without being criticized, and you're ruining it for everyone.

No one wants you here. If you have a problem with someone else's opinion, I recommend making a thread about it but without explicitly mentioning their username.

And besides, If you're still trying to promote the FE argument even though the conversation about FE ended a while ago, an you're still trying to make FE look like the victim here and sound totally unbiased, I also recommend that you change your profile picture. Y'know.....
.....Is he gone? Can people with unpopular opinions freely express them on this thread designated for them without having to worry about someone helicoptering over them in case they disagree with their opinion?

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I kinda want to see Isabelle become top tier so all the haters have to see her whenever they watch tourneys. I might be a bit mean.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I kinda want to see Isabelle become top tier so all the haters have to see her whenever they watch tourneys. I might be a bit mean.
I agree. I mean, I certainly wasn't rooting for Isabelle and her reveal was definitely a bit anticlimactic, but I think she looks so adorable that it doesn't matter.

I guess that's my new unpopular opinion: I think Isabelle's reveal makes perfect sense. It was meant to be super slow and drawn out so the non-smash fanatics would be questioning what was going on. You guys gotta realize, although, yes, just about all of us knew instantly that it was smash, a TON of other viewers had no idea what was going on. Plus, with the new animal crossing reveal, it HAD to be revealed during a regular direct and not a smash one. Those of u who think this is the last character are simply delusional, and they are literally confirmed 100% more to come, so hold your horses and act like adults as opposed to whining about a bunch of people's favorite character finally getting in. Gosh the people here are seriously so pathetic sometimes

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
"All of a sudden". Hah, right. She's had fans forever dude, they're just not in your circle. Most people had her as a shoe-in for this game.
I had her as a shoe-in for this game too lol. It was obvious, what wasn't obvious is her getting her own moveset, but hey, its only to advertise the new AC game, it'd look bad if she was just a c/p right?

Her fans must have all been hiding from all these fan ballots...hm.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Hot take: "Nintendo All-Star" is little more than a meaningless buzzword that hasn't meant anything since Brawl when they dropped the "Nintendo All-Stars" nonsense cold turkey.

StormC

Smash Hero
I kid about PS All Stars a lot because it followed Smash's lead and didn't manage to keep up, to the point that Smash even got to include characters heavily associated with Sony like Cloud, Snake, Ryu, Megaman and Simon Belmont. But the devs genuinely tried to make a good game, it was just Sony themselves didn't even have that much faith in the project and also did not provide them with a proper budget.
Anyways, it's still tough to compete with the star power that Nintendo characters have. It goes to show how much prestige Smash has garnered over the years with the other publishers in the game industry to the point that everyone and their mother want their character in it, and I guess it helps as well that Sakurai has the charisma and connections to win them over.
...Simon is heavily associated with Sony? Even Mega Man is pushing it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hot take: "Nintendo All-Star" is little more than a meaningless buzzword that hasn't meant anything since Brawl when they dropped the "Nintendo All-Stars" nonsense cold turkey.
My god I would like this post a million times if I could.

StormC

Smash Hero
I’ll start off by saying K. Rool is the only newcomer that got me hyped, not interested in squidbillies or tiny dragons, macho whip bros are ok tho

After this pitiful reveal of Isabelle after being so excited for a good reveal only to get this...im glad Sakurai got a little harassed on twitter over waluigi stuff
You’re happy a director got harassed because he put in a character you don’t like?

Jesus Christ. Get a reality check, dude.

Isabelle is a bigger Nintendo All Star than your hopeful will ever be.

Unless you're rooting for Toad or maybe Dixie Kong that is.
Good thing my hopeful is already in. :ultkrool:

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
- I'm 100% okay with all of the Fire Emblem characters. Sakurai could literally make half the cast be from that series and I'd be on board as hell, despite only having enjoyed two of the games personally.

- I'd be okay with this being the last Smash game, with basically a new "deluxe" version of this one released on every new Nintendo console with like a new character or two

- I'm not super into the third party characters, really. I think Sonic and Megaman make sense and fit in for the most part but Sakurai could have removed all the rest of them and I don't think I'd bat an eye. Especially Bayonnaise. I'd be into some different ones like Shovel Knight, Banjo, whatever, but Snake/Simon/Bayo/Ryu/Cloud/Pacman? They hold absolutely no appeal to me

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
A long time ago I made a thread suggesting that they revise echo fighters to a more loose definition to include characters with both similar movesets AND design, and you could have more than two fighters included in a single slot (multiple echoes basically). This would be a great idea for FE to finally get rid of the Roy semiclone arguments. Make him and Lucina "Echoes" of Marth, and move Chrom to Ike (Since his most notable move is having Ikes up+B).
Oh, I remember that thread! Personally, I think that could have been a cool idea.

...Simon is heavily associated with Sony? Even Mega Man is pushing it.
...Has Simon Belmont actually been in a PlayStation game?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
*ahem* I don't like Isabella, and didn't think she needed inclusion. Sure, she's popular, I guess. But doesn't really needed inclusion more than being a Echo. The only thing exciting about her reveal, is that my 2 most wanted "Echo candidates" as Dixie and Impa are now a lotttt more likely to be semi-clones as well.

The Direct was real tame, and nothing what personally interessted me was revealed.

D

Deleted member

...Has Simon Belmont actually been in a PlayStation game?
Quite a few, actually.

Haunted Castle - PS2 (Japan only), PS4 (Arcade Archives)
Castlevania Chronicles - PS1, PS3/PSP (as a digital PS1 Classic)
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair - PS3
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow — Mirror of Fate HD - PS3
Dream Mix TV World Fighters - PS2 (Japan only)
And few obscure cameos.

But he is definitely more associated with Nintendo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom