• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Palutena is the worst newcomer to be added to Smash 4. Or maybe all of Smash Bros. They went out of their way to give her three times as many special moves as everyone else, and all of them, especially the defaults, are boring and unoriginal.
At least Dark Pit is just a clone. They actually put effort into Palutena, and it seems to be wasted.
Furthermore, if Palutena is what you get when you try to fit a character with god-like powers into the context of Smash Bros., I'm glad Sakurai didn't try his hand at Ridley, because that would have turned out even worse.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Palutena is the worst newcomer to be added to Smash 4. Or maybe all of Smash Bros. They went out of their way to give her three times as many special moves as everyone else, and all of them, especially the defaults, are boring and unoriginal.
At least Dark Pit is just a clone. They actually put effort into Palutena, and it seems to be wasted.
Furthermore, if Palutena is what you get when you try to fit a character with god-like powers into the context of Smash Bros., I'm glad Sakurai didn't try his hand at Ridley, because that would have turned out even worse.
This is my thoughts on the Arceus' role in Smash 4 in a nutshell.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Both Delphox and Chesnaught would've been better choices than Sheik 2/Blue Fast Guy #8.

This is my thoughts on the Arceus' role in Smash 4 in a nutshell.
Those are my thoughts on Arceus in Pokemon in a nutshell. Seriously, THIS is the god of Pokemon? He looks like the evolution of Stantler. I was expecting some 1,000 km tall fusion of Vishnu and Raijin as a dragon.

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I play a lot of Smash, But...

IM ALWAYS TALK ABOUT THE CHURACTERS, IS ONE THE WORST OR BEST.
Im alredy said my opinion about character.

Im going IN game in general: BOTH VERSION.

-Smash Run>8-Player Smash>Smash tour.

-Master order is good but is ok, but in another hand, Crazy orders is Way better, more fun, more challenging and MORE Rewarding.

-Trophy Rush is the best cash grab of easy trophy, Because in melee was luck and Brawl was good and fun but is was some extra minigame. Trophy Rush at least you use your skill and that why is the best Trophy Cash in all the series.

-Smash 4 has one of my favorite Event more than Melee. But Melee will always have that one... The Legendary Pokemon event, they could use it in Smash 4 has Master ball everywhere.

-Trophy shop is useful in the early strat of the game but latter... Is kinda useless and luck.

-The Challenges are really ridiculous.

-Why all the CPU Want to kill me first. WHY THEY FOLLOWED ME ALWAYS!? I HATE THAT CRAP!!!!

-Target Blast is... Lame. I Prefer Break the target.

-Home-Run contest is fun but I hardly use-it.

-Boss Battle should be added.

-The trophy for the 3DS were kinda better at some point than the Wii U, They minus a lot of spoiler and choose to show more Obscurity I love it... but...

-The Wii U have good third-party addition, The best one are Rayman series, Last Story and Commander Video took a suprised to my eyes.

-Some of the custOm moves are really creative but Mostly were really lame. Like a example:
This one is Normal.
This one is Faster and weaker.
This one is slower but stronger. Almost 65% of the special or Just extra effect... REALLY?!

-Equipment are cheap.

-Custom moves need to be allowed in tournament, I want to see how people can be creative using new special move in a unexpected way and the same time not broken but feel fresh and exciting.

D

Deleted member

-The Wii U have good third-party addition, The best one are Rayman series, Last Story and Commander Video took a suprised to my eyes.
The Last Story is first party. Just because XSeed published the game in North America (and North America only) doesn't automatically mean they own the property.

Speaking of which, Zael from The Last Story would have been a fun and unique addition to the playable roster. Music from that game and Pandora's Tower would have also been a nice treat.

Javln Mastr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Modernlykos
3DS FC
3823-8516-1685
Here are a couple more.
-I really like Pyrosphere and Ridley, he is a fun boss and has a lot character. He's a fun punching bag, and I will usually get hit by his attacks when I'm fighting, not when I'm trying to avoid him, unlike the Yellow Devil.
-A hazard switch sounds ridiculous and fallacious, it's like asking to degrade all the stages to an inferior status. I don't want a stage to just have pretty scenery and no hazards that make the battle purely for competitive purposes, that isn't what Smash should be in my opinion.
-Bowser Jr. is one of my favorite Mario characters, and I wish he had alt color palletes instead of the Koopalings. The Koopalings are such an amazing feature to his character, but I can't help but wonder what alts Jr. could have gotten otherwise.
-The Dark Pit argument is fallacious, and clones are not a big deal. They add more to them, as they have custom taunts, victory poses and artwork. People just see the "Dark" label and assume he is just some unoriginal doppleganger (which I agree is pretty lame to do so) but he actually played a role in Uprising and has his own origin and personality etc.
-Ganon is perfect the way he is, because his mechanics are changed so much that he feels like how Ganon should be represented as. Falcon was chosen as a template because his moveset looked good enough to emulate. Otherwise, I think Ganon wouldn't have been added in Melee if there wasn't a character that would give Dorf enough justice to his character.
-Falco deserves to be back and Wolf doesn't, because Falco is 2 time rep while Wolf is 1. It seems so simple, but it's true. I don't think Wolf even added much more to table anyway, he was just another semi-clone that added claw based attacks to his moveset.
-I hate Ice-Climbers because Nana is CPU controlled when you are separated, and you can pretty much lose half your character when she dies, or potentially SD. I know this is how their character is so unique but it annoys me.
-Forward Smash in the new games is broken, where it is so frustratingly difficult to pull off at some times. Up and Down Smash happens so easily sometimes, that it is frustrating when I'm trying to do a tilt. FIX THIS FIX THIS FIX THIS!!!

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
People just see the "Dark" label and assume he is just some unoriginal doppleganger (which I agree is pretty lame to do so) but he actually played a role in Uprising and has his own origin and personality etc.
Funny thing is, almost no one was complaining about him in Uprising. People are just calling him edgy because they don't like that his Smash Bros. moveset is almost identical to Pit's, even though that has nothing to do with anything. They might as well be calling him smelly or fat, while they're at it.

Last edited:

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Even though I do like the well-known competitive Smashers, I'd love to see someone new win a major tournament. Things have been too predictable lately.

The whole "I'm glad Snake is gone, he didn't fit/was too realistic" argument is plain stupid. He may not be "Nintendo" enough for some of you, but if you actually play his games, they have their fair share of wacky moments that would be right at home in a Nintendo game. Plus... Metroid in general is a pretty mature series, and it's not even third-party like MG is.

Break the Targets should've returned (in its 64/Melee incarnation) not only because it was fun, but it was actually a viable way to practice basic techs with individual characters. I think I got better with Mewtwo just by doing his target test over and over trying to beat my time.

Not sure how popular/unpopular this is, but I got pretty sick of the 20+ remixes of the main theme in Brawl as the sole "original" music in the game. I mean, yeah, 64 and Melee didn't need as much original music, but at least they had variety. 64's menu theme was so chill.

...and I STILL think people are too harsh on Smash 4 and not willing to give it much of a chance.

D

Deleted member

The whole "I'm glad Snake is gone, he didn't fit/was too realistic" argument is plain stupid. He may not be "Nintendo" enough for some of you, but if you actually play his games, they have their fair share of wacky moments that would be right at home in a Nintendo game. Plus... Metroid in general is a pretty mature series, and it's not even third-party like MG is.
I agree. Snake's realism and "maturity" were never his problems. The problem was that he was (and still is, which likely won't change anytime soon) more of a PlayStation character than a Nintendo one because most of his games and popularity came from the former brand. Heck, back when Brawl was released, the PS3-exclusive MGS4 was around the corner, so it almost seemed like Nintendo was promoting their competition (there was even content from MGS4 featured in Brawl).

Fast forward to now, Snake's inclusion in Brawl has had little to no effect on his relevance on Nintendo platforms. All there is worth noting are a 3DS port of an old PS2 game and Japan-exclusive Virtual Console releases of Metal Gear 1 and 2. The newest entry in the series, the overpriced tech demo known as Ground Zeroes, is available on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC, but not Wii U even though it is capable of running it.

As much as I like Snake as a character and the Metal Gear series as a whole, he doesn't belong in a Nintendo crossover fighter for the reason I gave. That aside, his aforementioned wackiness suited Brawl well, as you stated yourself.

All that being said, while I'd be thrilled to see him return as DLC, Smash 4 doesn't feel empty without him. I do miss Lucas, Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and the Ice Climbers, but Snake's exclusion isn't as big of a loss in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I agree. Snake's realism and "maturity" were never his problems. The problem was that he was (and still is, which likely won't change anytime soon) more of a PlayStation character than a Nintendo one because most of his games and popularity came from the former brand. Heck, back when Brawl was released, the PS3-exclusive MGS4 was around the corner, so it almost seemed like Nintendo was promoting their competition (there was even content from MGS4 featured in Brawl).

Fast forward to now, Snake's inclusion in Brawl has had little to no effect on his relevance on Nintendo platforms. All there is worth noting are a 3DS port of an old PS2 game and Japan-exclusive Virtual Console releases of Metal Gear 1 and 2. The newest entry in the series, the overpriced tech demo known as Ground Zeroes, is available on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC, but not Wii U even though it is capable of running it.

As much as I like Snake as a character and the Metal Gear series as a whole, he doesn't belong in a Nintendo crossover fighter for the reason I gave. That aside, his aforementioned wackiness suited Brawl well, as you stated yourself.

All that being said, while I'd be thrilled to see him return as DLC, Smash 4 doesn't feel empty without him. I do miss Lucas, Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and the Ice Climbers, but Snake's exclusion isn't as big of a loss in my opinion.
Definitely a "solid" argument. (seewhatididthere)

I always thought the MGS4 content in Brawl and Snake in general was just Nintendo being a "cool guy" and promoting the PSTriple, which at the time wasn't doing too well (despite what Chad Warden would've told you back then).

Hell, the same thing could be said about Sonic when you think about it. Yeah, he's had way more games on Nintendo consoles and even exclusives in Sonic Advance, but on the home consoles it's often re-releases (Adventure), watered-down/different versions (Unleashed), or not on Nintendo at all (06, lol yeah I know) and people seem to forget that he was even more of a rival to Nintendo than Snake/MGS was back in the day.

Buuut yeah, Snake didn't have a lot of relevance on Nintendo over the years. The most notable ones are "I forget to tell you something" and "MGS remake with more flips and explosions". Why MGS5 isn't on Wii U is beyond me.

All in all, I don't mind him being gone in 4, especially now that Mewtwo is back and Robin's there, but I too would be thrilled to see his return. Him and Sonic just so happened to be two of my top mains, and I honestly didn't think either one would return. At least Snake is (IMO) really fun to use in PM.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I actually hate all of the singleplayer modes in this game, for different reasons:
  • Classic Mode would be a lot, and I mean a lot better if it weren't for the 8-Player Smash battles the games likes to randomly throw at you. (Seriously, Smashville, Congo Jungle, Mario Circuit (Brawl), Yoshi's Island, Skyworld, Castle Siege, and a vast majority of Omega stages DO NOT SUPPORT MORE THAN FOUR PLAYERS.) Also, Master Fortress. Need I say more?
  • Actually, 8-Player Smash in general was a big dud now that I think about it. It's damn near impossible to get eight people together in one room to play Smash in the first place (let alone having enough controllers to do so), and half the stages available for 8-Player Smash aren't even good for it.
  • Master Orders is just horrible. It's bland and incredibly stagnant, and there's hardly any reward or reason for playing it. That, and most of the challenge of it derives from, "Let's put the player at an objective disadvantage! Because that's hard, right?"
  • Crazy Orders is even worse. Sure, it's more rewarding, but the fact that you only get one shot makes it more frustrating than it is fun when items are on and Port Town Aero Dive, Flat Zone X, Jungle Hijinx, Orbital Gate Assault, Gamer, Norfair, Great Cave Offensive, and 75m exist. I'm sorry, but when I lose half of my gold due to a bomb spawning above me while I'm using Arm Rotor or a jet-fueled racecar suddenly running me down or a Bowsercide in a team battle, I can't really justify that by calling it a result of "lack of skill" or "poor judgement." It only hurts more that you have to pay 5000 gold (or one of those crazy rare passes) just to play once...
  • All-Star: Apply everything I just said about Crazy Orders, but add that you're constantly being tackled by three opponents at once and there's hardly any reward for actually doing it.
  • Event matches are pretty hit-or-miss. Some of them are incredibly fun, while the rest of them are incredibly infuriating, either because you have no idea what you need to do to win or because you're playing "No Mere Sparring Match" or "Kirby's Crazy Appetite."
  • Smash Tour = No.
That being said, Multi-Man Smash and Home-Run Contest are still good. While none of these really break the game for me (seeing how it is largely a multiplayer experience), they certainly leave an empty void in the singleplayer department that has yet to be filled. (I would've taken a Melee-style Adventure Mode over Special Orders any day.)

Last edited:

Mario1080p

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mario128-1080p
3DS FC
4682-8448-5127
I not only like the idea of the Rage effect, I feel it's not strong enough(with the exception of Lucario) for a comeback mechanic.

I've made a new type of Smash that would give the Rage effect a nice buff, but not sure if people are willing to give my idea a shot.

I guess as for my other unpopular opinion, I do feel custom equipment can be used competitively, as long as they're in a fixed set that the entire roster can equip like the one I put together recently.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Thank. You.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Palutena is far from being God-Like. In fact, angels are pretty much stronger than gods in Kid Icarus, at least for the case of Pit. But yeah, Palutena is bland in this game. In fact, in general, Palutena isn't really funny, not even epic. She's just there, doing puns and...being somewhat useful to Pit with advices and making him fly.
Yeah, Palutena as a character is not even really that great.

Anyway, here's an unpopular opinion : :4bowser: should not grunt like an idiot while his son has his normal voice from other Mario games. He should have his normal voice, like anyone else. Same for :4dk:.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All that 8-player Smash does for me is ruining Classic & Multi-Man Smash mode.
Wish they wouldn't force it down my throat like that. It isn't fun to play with CPU's. Especially not in this game.

Troykv

Smash Master
I don't know if this one is a unpopular opinion... well

- I prefer play with :4drmario: & :4darkpit: above the original versions for some reason (with Dark Pit is because the voice and the darky style)

Anyway, here's an unpopular opinion : :4bowser: should not grunt like an idiot while his son has his normal voice from other Mario games. He should have his normal voice, like anyone else. Same for :4dk:.
I've always wondered why Bowser have those sound effects instead of his normal voice

Last edited:

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Unpopular
Roy (NOT the koopaling) Should have been what Lucina is.
Classic mode sucks in the wii u version
Young Link Sshould return.
DK need to be in his own universe in smash bros (you can apply mushroom power ups on custom characters.
Bowser looks.... diffrent standing upright.
I dont care if more f zero reps would be falcon clones
Meta Knight has more potential as well as R.O.B
Even though Little mac is a little crap in the air he is still kind of OP
I miss Bowser's and DK'S old noises. (Like from Mario kart 64)

RadiantTactician

Defender of the Outrealms
NNID
smashergal426
3DS FC
0946-3031-1836
Switch FC
SW-4594-4881-1993
I guess I could post some now that the game's out for a while:
  • Really, really indifferent towards Mewtwo's return; I kinda wish that we got a different character for our first DLC
  • I really believe that Sm4sh could've been the best of the series, but it's hindered with serious flaws outside of multiplayer
  • I still think Wolf should've been in... and the bird cut .
  • I am indifferent towards the removal of the Ice Climbers, never cared for them.
  • A lot of the popular character requests of characters doesn't sound remotely interesting to me (i.e: Ridley, K. Rool, Dixie, Toad)

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- I kinda wish Sheik was cute like she is in Hyrule Warriors. Yes, I'ma be that guy. #unpopularopinions

- I.... had a second thing but it escapes me at the moment. Carry on.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Smash Tour for the Wii U is a decent game mode. Best with friends.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
:4bowser: should not grunt like an idiot while his son has his normal voice from other Mario games. He should have his normal voice, like anyone else. Same for :4dk:.
:4dk: should have his voice actor from the show. I really miss Backstreet Kong.

I would prefer Magolor over bandanna dee if we ever got a new Kirby rep
I've been hoping for Nightmare.

D

Deleted member

Metroid is overrated, and does not need any more content than what it currently has.

*raises flame shield*

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
- I never liked the jokes made in Kid Icarus. That's why I found the codecs of Smash 4 boring. The :snake: ones were funny because the point of view was from an outsider, but with the :4palutena: ones, it's only references and boring puns and humour. Kid Icarus fans probably loves those codecs, but I'm not a fan of Kid Icarus in general. So you know, I think the codecs of Palutena were useless. If they wanted something original, they could have used the Kirby series, with dialogues between :4dedede: and his crew (Bandana Dee, ect...) like in Kirby Superstar Ultra. I would prefered this over the ones from Kid Icarus.

- I prefer the Singleplayer mode on the 3DS. But I still find it kinda lame compared to Melee and Brawl.
- If they wanted to buff :4ness:, they should have nerfed his Bthrow for more balance.
- :4falco: is a good character.
- :4wario2:'s playstyle is disrespectful for the character itself. PM Wario at least give more respects to all of his games than the official Wario, a.k.a Sakurai's Wario.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
If they wanted something original, they could have used the Kirby series, with dialogues between :4dedede: and his crew (Bandana Dee, ect...) like in Kirby Superstar Ultra. I would prefered this over the ones from Kid Icarus.
I would've adored this especially if it meant Dedede's awesome Southern accent coming back.

Troykv

Smash Master
I feel Sm4sh needs less Fire Emblem content. It annoys me to see it given more Smash love than Metroid.
Well... Metroid has more Assist Trophies, and has more enemies in Smash Run... in fact, Fire Emblem is the only "overrepresented" franchise that doesn't have enemies in Smash Run.

Fire Emblem has a new character & a new clone for the other side xD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom